PDA

View Full Version : Do you think L is autistic?

Mr. Versipellis
2009-11-29, 08:00 AM
I'm talking about the legendary detective from Death Note.
Bsically, he seems to be a genius, but is a creep, has some very odd mannerisms, often acts oddly in social situations (like the date bit), and most of all he explains that Light Yagami is 'his first friend'. This is just something I picked up on; does anyone else agree?

Prime32
2009-11-29, 08:08 AM
Asperger's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome) maybe. Near is more likely to have it, seeing how he stays in his room, wearing pajamas and playing with toys all the time.

On another note, it's been suggested that Light is asexual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality).

kamikasei
2009-11-29, 08:13 AM
I would say he simply has "Generic Eccentricism Disorder" and doubt the author bothered to carefully match him up to autism, Asperger's, or any other genuine condition.

Voldecanter
2009-11-29, 08:14 AM
Asperger's/Autism is the same thing if you are diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum and are High Functioning . The Autism Spectrum is very large and some people speculate that they don't know and can't diagnose it all , Either way Asperger's/Autism is the same thing if you have Asperger's Your also considered Autistic .....Einstein had it .

TheSummoner
2009-11-29, 12:56 PM
Never really thought of it that way, but it would make sence...

However, you should take into consideration that L is a compulsive liar... when he says theres a 5% chance Light is Kira, he means theres a 95% chance. When he says Light is his friend, he means that he doesn't trust Light any more than Light should trust him alone in an empty candy factory.

golentan
2009-11-29, 01:37 PM
Umm... Maybe?

But his personal grooming habits and tendency to view things through a different lens suggest to me more that he has a dissociative disorder. Probably Depersonalization disorder. I know I act more like L when I have a dissociative episode (grooming, interpersonal habits) than my Autism spectrum friends do.

Haruki-kun
2009-11-29, 01:47 PM
Yes. I think L may be autistic.

No, I don't think Light is asexual... he seems to have something for Misa. Of course he doesn't value anyone's life, and Misa's is no exception.

Mr. Versipellis
2009-11-29, 04:35 PM
Asperger's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome) maybe. Near is more likely to have it, seeing how he stays in his room, wearing pajamas and playing with toys all the time.

On another note, it's been suggested that Light is asexual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality).

Yeah, i know what Asperger's is fairly well -- and that IS a type of high-functioning autism. Funny you mention it, I always thought of both L and Near as both explicitly having Asperger's. I've known a lot of people with Asperger's -- that's why I made a connection. I just didn't want to throw anyone off by reffering to something they may not have heard of.

Coidzor
2009-11-29, 04:39 PM
Yes, but mostly because this one kid who always dresses like that and seeks to cultivate such an image makes me think of him as having Asperger's.

Kind of a reverse sort of drift there.

Erts
2009-11-29, 04:47 PM
Possibly Asperger's. He does show an extreme interest in solving cases, and very little in "normal" activities (sports, socializing, etc.)

On the asexuality thing... I'm not sure. On one hand, he could be asexual and still have a thing for Misa (this is quite normal, for someone who is asexual to be interested in romance and sometimes even sex, just not with a preference to gender or anything at all,) on the other, he could simply be repressed, similar to Rorschach (from Watchmen,) too interested in justice/solving the puzzle to bother with sex.

Mr. Versipellis
2009-11-29, 04:53 PM
Possibly Asperger's. He does show an extreme interest in solving cases, and very little in "normal" activities (sports, socializing, etc.)

On the asexuality thing... I'm not sure. On one hand, he could be asexual and still have a thing for Misa (this is quite normal, for someone who is asexual to be interested in romance and sometimes even sex, just not with a preference to gender or anything at all,) on the other, he could simply be repressed, similar to Rorschach (from Watchmen,) too interested in justice/solving the puzzle to bother with sex.

I think Light didn't really have time for love or sex in the story, but he did manipulate some girls. So that doesn't mean he is asexual, it just means the girls he did see were not for romance or sex. If i were a 'manipulative bastard', I'd do the same if I were busy.

Prime32
2009-11-29, 05:31 PM
I think Light didn't really have time for love or sex in the story, but he did manipulate some girls. So that doesn't mean he is asexual, it just means the girls he did see were not for romance or sex. If i were a 'manipulative bastard', I'd do the same if I were busy.Have you seen the lengths Misa goes to to get him into bed? As someone who is canonically extremely attractive, she shows up at the doorway in some skimpy lace number, grinning mischieviously, and Light doesn't react at all. :smalltongue:

Mr. Versipellis
2009-11-29, 05:48 PM
Have you seen the lengths Misa goes to to get him into bed? As someone who is canonically extremely attractive, she shows up at the doorway in some skimpy lace number, grinning mischieviously, and Light doesn't react at all. :smalltongue:

Fair enough... But on the other hand Light IS pretty dignified, or at least he considers himself to be, as well as having strong will. He probably sees it as a sign of weakness to be seduced.
But who knows, they may have had sex off-screen.

Innis Cabal
2009-11-29, 05:52 PM
Have you seen the lengths Misa goes to to get him into bed? As someone who is canonically extremely attractive, she shows up at the doorway in some skimpy lace number, grinning mischieviously, and Light doesn't react at all. :smalltongue:

In all honesty, I wouldn't want her either. There are other men he does activly hit on though.

Starshade
2009-11-29, 06:11 PM
L do show most signs of Aspergers at least, socially withdrawn, average or greater intelligence, good grasp of language and with some odd fixation on some ideas or concepts (puzzle solving). Fixation on one or a few things, and ignoring he sits in a pyjamas all day long would fit.

Lioness
2009-11-29, 06:12 PM
I think L is autistic. He's incredibly smart, and rather awkward in social situations.

Tengu_temp
2009-11-29, 06:27 PM
Nah, I think L is just eccentric. Just because someone is intelligent, asocial and has weird mannerisms doesn't mean he's autistic/has Asperger's. It's kinda like all those people who self-diagnose with Asperger's on the internet.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-11-29, 09:06 PM
I think L would be a blast to hang out with, while Light would be an insufferable douchebag. Sorry, let me rephrase that: is an insufferable douchebag. Or should I say

was an insufferable douchebag

snoopy13a
2009-11-29, 09:23 PM
I think L is autistic. He's incredibly smart, and rather awkward in social situations.

So are incredibly smart people who happen to be shy.

Green Bean
2009-11-29, 09:31 PM
Nah, I think L is just eccentric. Just because someone is intelligent, asocial and has weird mannerisms doesn't mean he's autistic/has Asperger's. It's kinda like all those people who self-diagnose with Asperger's on the internet.

Gonna agree with you here. L is eccentric, but has nowhere near Autistic-level social impairment, and certainly has no problems making himself understood or understanding others.

As for Aspergers, here's the paraphrased DSM-IV criteria

At least 2 demonstrations of impaired social interaction. The patient:
-Shows a marked inability to regulate social interaction by using multiple non-verbal behaviors such as body posture and gestures, eye contact and facial expression.
-Doesn't develop peer relationships that are appropriate to the developmental level.
-Doesn't seek to share achievements, interests or pleasure with others
-Lacks social or emotional reciprocity.

L's odd, but he doesn't really fit any of these, even if you squint. He's got no problem with facial expressions or eye contact, establishes bonds with the police officers in his employ, is always happy to explain his latest anti-Kira deduction, and returns Light's (fake)friendship. Plus, Asperger's isn't actually linked to heightened intelligence.

readsaboutd&d
2009-11-30, 10:39 AM
Well, it really is up to the viewer knowing the creator of death note didnt even bother with his nationality. Also, on mangahut, I accidentaly fell on a light/misa hentai. Wether you consider that canon is probably doubtful though.

Kato
2009-11-30, 12:47 PM
Concerning L being autistic... I dunno. never bothered enough to thin about it. I guess he's just eccentric but maybe... meh, could have something like Asberger's but I hardly know enough about such things.

Light being asexual on the other hand... okay, I'm not sure what a healthy amount of sexuality is but I can not remember of him ever conceiving a girl as something but a tool for one mean or another. And he is a teenaged boy. Sure, taking over the world is difficult but he should be able to do something different once in a while... I think the claim is not without reason. And no, he never howed any sign of interest in Misa as a woman as far as I can remember. He was aware of things she felt/wanted but never responded.

TheSummoner
2009-11-30, 01:34 PM
Well, it really is up to the viewer knowing the creator of death note didnt even bother with his nationality. Also, on mangahut, I accidentaly fell on a light/misa hentai. Wether you consider that canon is probably doubtful though.

From How to Read 13. "I think of him as a quarter Japanese, a quarter English, a quarter Russian and... maybe a quarter French or Italian? Something like that."

Hentai would never be canon, however I seriously doubt Light never had sex with Misa. She was obsessed with him and they were together for a span of years. I doubt a manipulative bastard like him would refuse something to keep a powerful weapon like her nearby.

Texas_Ben
2009-11-30, 06:18 PM
Also, on mangahut, I accidentaly fell on a light/misa hentai. Wether you consider that canon is probably doubtful though.
If any random hentai you find on the internet is canon, every charachter ever conceived has probably had sex with every other character ever conceived. Canonically. Rule 34 and all that.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-11-30, 09:20 PM
Whatever happened to people just being strange? L's a weird guy.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-11-30, 11:27 PM
Whatever happened to people just being strange? L's a weird guy.

Get with the times man; its the 21st century, and we've got to explain everything now!

TheSummoner
2009-12-01, 12:32 AM
Besides, just calling him weird or labeling him a freak wouldn't be politically correct. You're not allowed to offend people anymore or they'll sue you! *eyeroll*

Hallavast
2009-12-01, 01:32 AM
What's with all the Canadian pseudo-scientific pop psychology bull**** speculation? The fictional character is just a little shy. He was obviously imagined to be brought up in a different setting than normal people.I don't understand the need to put a label on someone just because they have different mannerisms than his typically brainless peers. Is this thread a joke? If it is, then I obviously don't get it.

Let's also remember that when creating fictional characters, it is not necessary to have a copy of the DSM4 handy. You can make quirky characters that are normal functioning human beings without any psychological disorders.

Also, just because Light doesn't automatically start slobbering when a big breasted blonde in a tacky, revealing dress enters the room ... that doesn't make him asexual. He's simply a cold, manipulating mysogynist. No real evidence points to asexuality.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-12-01, 01:33 AM
We really should be careful with labeling fictional characters with real world conditions. Characters are only occasionally meant to be real people, most are a stylized set of traits. Its far too easy to label every ditz as having ADHD, every mopey character as clinically depressed, and every tsundere as bipolar. Unless we've got something to say the creator is moving beyond Hollywood Psych and going to Show Their Work in getting it right.

Because in reality this sort of stuff is not a Disablity Superpower because God decided to MinMax a person. Medicine defines and diagnoses these conditions because those who have them (as a statistical matter) do not function in society without problems. For every supposed disabled genius writing groundbreaking science and living well, you've got five poor guys struggling to hold down a fast-food job because people think they're a retard. Though that's an entirely made up ratio I think the basic point holds.

Frankly I don't think L has anything like autism because he's such a deft social manipulator that succeeds in the world. He's the world's top investigator and has authority in an international bureaucracy. He's not a guy that struggles to fit it and be understood, he plays the world like a fiddle and doesn't fit in because he doesn't have to. His oddness just helps L manipulate you. I be prepared to put all of L's idiosyncrasies except his sweet-tooth down as deliberate choices he could change or suppress pretty easy. Wanting to be a weirdo does not a medical condition give.

doliest
2009-12-01, 01:48 AM
If any random hentai you find on the internet is canon, every charachter ever conceived has probably had sex with every other character ever conceived. Canonically. Rule 34 and all that.

Well this IS Death Note and I always thought that Watari and Misa had something going on...I'll shut up now.

Edit:And what's with the seriousness in the last two posts? It's a hilarious topic, let's have fun.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-12-01, 08:23 AM

Light has generic sociopath asexuality, which isn't a stereotype people who label themselves as asexual would like to be associated with.

I've been told multiple times that I act like someone with autism, by people with autistic friends/relatives, but have been tested and there's nothing diagnosably wrong with me.

I know it's kind of cliche with all the fangirls, but Light could just be gay. Someone (over 16) who so carefully cultivates a respectable Japanese image wouldn't show their homosexuality much.

TheSummoner
2009-12-01, 09:06 AM
Ok, other than the slobbering fangirls, where has there ever been indication that Light was gay? Seems like a pretty big stretch to me.

Anyone else remember the scene where Sidoh sneaks into the room Light and Misa are in to try to find out what happened to his Death Note. The one where neither Light nor Misa can see him. The one where Misa is asking Light for praise over a job well done and hes rewarding her... Are you telling me that scene didn't go anywhere?

Closet_Skeleton
2009-12-01, 09:45 AM
The one where Misa is asking Light for praise over a job well done and hes rewarding her... Are you telling me that scene didn't go anywhere?

If Light did anything with Misa, it was to bolster his control over her, not for his own sexual gratification.

TheSummoner
2009-12-01, 10:06 AM
Granted, that doesn't mean he couldn't enjoy it though.

kamikasei
2009-12-01, 10:19 AM
Granted, that doesn't mean he couldn't enjoy it though.

But it does mean that the fact that he might have had sex with Misa (I assume he did) says nothing about whether he's got an appetite for ladies. There's about as much reason to think he's gay as asexual, is the point.

Besides, just calling him weird or labeling him a freak wouldn't be politically correct. You're not allowed to offend people anymore or they'll sue you! *eyeroll*

...Eh? This seems... I'll go with "misplaced".

Green Bean
2009-12-01, 10:27 AM
What's with all the Canadian pseudo-scientific pop psychology bull**** speculation?

I've got to admit, this the first time I've heard the "Canadians are amateur pop-psychologists" stereotype.

As for Light's sexuality, there's absolutely no conclusive evidence for any sexuality. Which is fine; it just means that you can write about him having sex with whoever or whatever you want and still make it in character. Ah, the wonders of fandom. :smalltongue:

TheSummoner
2009-12-01, 10:31 AM
Hmm... Kinda in the same way that a box thats making a quacking noise has just as much chance of being a chicken as a duck.

With Rem and L out of the way, Light didn't need Misa anymore. I don't see why he would put up with her unless he was getting something out of it (I personally don't hate Misa, but Light certainly had a hard time putting up with her...).

As for the second thing, it was just meant to be a joke.

kamikasei
2009-12-01, 10:37 AM
Hmm... Kinda in the same way that a box thats making a quacking noise has just as much chance of being a chicken as a duck.

With Rem and L out of the way, Light didn't need Misa anymore. I don't see why he would put up with her unless he was getting something out of it (I personally don't hate Misa, but Light certainly had a hard time putting up with her...).

He was getting plenty out of it: someone else to do his dirty work for him, the use of Shinigami eyes (something too useful to frivolously throw away), and social cover of various sorts (living with Misa was likely a lot easier than, on the one hand, dealing with family pressure to get a girl or, on the other hand, maintaining a relationship with someone who had to be kept in the dark).

As for the second thing, it was just meant to be a joke.

In general, "zomg political correctness has ruined everything" is way too overplayed and too frequently misdirected to have much humour value - or maybe that's just me.

TheSummoner
2009-12-01, 10:46 AM
He was getting plenty out of it: someone else to do his dirty work for him, the use of Shinigami eyes (something too useful to frivolously throw away), and social cover of various sorts (living with Misa was likely a lot easier than, on the one hand, dealing with family pressure to get a girl or, on the other hand, maintaining a relationship with someone who had to be kept in the dark).

He had the Death Note and between when L died and Near appeared, no one suspected him of being Kira. The only reason he could possibly have to need someone else to do his dirty work is laziness.

At that point, what did he need the eyes for? Hell, by the time Near showed himself, Kira had media support. Of the few criminals that were left, how many do you think were out there that he couldn't identify with ease.

Social cover kinda makes sence, but it wouldn't be hard to use the death note to arrange an unfortunate accident and "not be ready to move on" to deal with the family. Misa was a great asset, but she was also one of Light's biggest liabilities.

kamikasei
2009-12-01, 10:48 AM
Social cover kinda makes sence, but it wouldn't be hard to use the death note to arrange an unfortunate accident and "not be ready to move on" to deal with the family. Misa was a great asset, but she was also one of Light's biggest liabilities.

Most of her liability was when he was playing a very careful game and she kept improvising. Once he had things under control, the danger posed by her unpredictability was much lower.

TheSummoner
2009-12-01, 10:53 AM
I'll grant you that, but it still doesn't explain why he needed her around. I presented a perfectly suitable alternative that someone like Light would have no problem doing.

Tengu_temp
2009-12-01, 10:55 AM
Light has generic sociopath asexuality, which isn't a stereotype people who label themselves as asexual would like to be associated with.

Unfortunately, It is a very prelevant stereotype. When was the last time you've seen an asexual character in fiction who was portrayed sympathetically and not as a weird freak? Apart from Nicola Tesla (http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=61).

Setra
2009-12-01, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately, It is a very prelevant stereotype. When was the last time you've seen an asexual character in fiction who was portrayed sympathetically and not as a weird freak? Apart from Nicola Tesla (http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=61).
Various anime heroes seem to have little interest in sex... though to be fair a lot of them are too young to think about it.

I think Luffy, from One Piece, might be asexual..

Edit: Supposedly, Sherlock Holmes was asexual.

Cubey
2009-12-01, 01:14 PM
Not interested in sex does not mean asexual. An asexual is not interested in any kind of romantic activities with anyone or anything. Which means that, for example, Sagara Sousuke (of Full Metal Panic) does not fit - he is totally clueless about sex but he has a clear romantic crush on Kaname Chidori, and the other way around.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-12-01, 01:34 PM
Not interested in sex does not mean asexual. An asexual is not interested in any kind of romantic activities with anyone or anything.

Not true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual).

You're right that Sagara isn't asexual, but that's niether here nor there.

Prime32
2009-12-01, 01:43 PM
I should point out that even if Light doesn't see anything in it himself, being married to a beautiful, successful actress boosts his social status. Plus, she probably makes quite a bit of money, which she would happily give to Light. :smallamused:

Hallavast
2009-12-01, 11:10 PM
I've got to admit, this the first time I've heard the "Canadians are amateur pop-psychologists" stereotype.

It's by no means a stereotype. It's just something I made up. It is also completely absurd.

Querzis
2009-12-02, 03:35 AM
Not interested in sex does not mean asexual. An asexual is not interested in any kind of romantic activities with anyone or anything.

Its the opposite. They are not interested in sex but can still be interested in romance. I really dont know where you got that idea from.

Anyway, lots of asexual are portrayed simpathetically (even though there isnt much asexual in fiction anyway, at least really not as much as in the real world). Its just that when a simpathetic character is not interested in sex hes 'pure' instead of being called asexual.

And Luffy isnt asexual Setra. Nami proved it back in Arabasta bath scene. Hes the only one whos not affected by Hancock though but since most of the really badass characters we saw until now (like the marine vice-admiral) arent especially interested in her either I just assumed that anyone with enough Haki dont fall for her tricks. Zoro is most likely axesual though (sorry to all the fangirls out there but he shows even less interest in the boys bodies then in the girls bodies.) But you are right, Sherlock holmes was really asexual.

And going back to Light, he obviously isnt interested in girls, Misa proved it, and absolutely never showed any interest in boys either. And yes, he might have had sex with Misa but hes just using her, hes still not attracted to her. So yeah, asexual.

Oh and I almost forgot the original point of this thread. No hes not autistic. Hes totally crazy, thats for sure, but I dont think hes actually insane. You can cure insanity but being crazy is just part of your personality.

kamikasei
2009-12-02, 03:48 AM
Oh and I almost forgot the original point of this thread. No hes not autistic. Hes totally crazy, thats for sure, but I dont think hes actually insane. You can cure insanity but being crazy is just part of your personality.

Uhm. Implying that autistic people are "insane" and can be "cured" is probably not something you want to do.

Poison_Fish
2009-12-02, 04:00 AM
Uhm. Implying that autistic people are "insane" and can be "cured" is probably not something you want to do.

You beat me to the punch there. Insanity and a neural disorder are two entirely different things.

And don't get me started on my rant about medicine and "curing" as opposed to "healing". Actually, I'm pretty sure I can't get into the specifics of that one here.

More on topic, L isn't autistic. We need to cut down on this pseudo-psychology flowing about here on fictional characters.

DomaDoma
2009-12-02, 06:03 AM
when he says theres a 5% chance Light is Kira, he means theres a 95% chance.

I know it says so in HTR13, but... L uses those figures in internal monologue. Exactly who is he trying to deceive there?

Prime32
2009-12-02, 06:05 AM
I know it says so in HTR13, but... L uses those figures in internal monologue. Exactly who is he trying to deceive there?There's a 5% chance of Light being Kira... and a 0% chance of anyone else being Kira.

kamikasei
2009-12-02, 06:15 AM
There's a 5% chance of Light being Kira... and a 0% chance of anyone else being Kira.

Don't make me sic Morbo on you (or on Ohba, if he's to blame).

readsaboutd&d
2009-12-02, 07:27 AM
Well, first of all, if this was something on mangahut, it was actually published (cant believe they let them have the rights but well) wich is more than you can say about most of the weird fanfiction (unless you count things like muffy the vampire layer film). Also, sarcasm. Anyway, I dont think L is autistic, maybe a genius eccentric but he seems rather functional actually compared to a lot of autistic people.

Prime32
2009-12-02, 07:43 AM
Well, first of all, if this was something on mangahut, it was actually published (cant believe they let them have the rights but well)Doujin = amateur publications. A large percentage of doujin are based on copyrighted characters - most Japanese creators don't care about suing people for stuff like that.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Doujinshi

snoopy13a
2009-12-02, 06:59 PM
Hes totally crazy, thats for sure, but I dont think hes actually insane. You can cure insanity but being crazy is just part of your personality.

Insanity is actually more of a legal term than medical. It means that you aren't criminally responsible for your actions.

The common law test is either you aren't aware of the consequences of your actions or you cannot appreciate the wrongfulness of your actions.

This is a very high bar and many people who are seriously mentally ill and commit crimes are not found to be legally insane.

Turcano
2009-12-02, 09:12 PM
We really should be careful with labeling fictional characters with real world conditions.

Don't you know? In the world of literary criticism, autism spectrum is the new closeted homosexuality.

warty goblin
2009-12-02, 09:21 PM
More on topic, L isn't autistic. We need to cut down on this pseudo-psychology flowing about here on fictional characters.

Next up, does Gollum have personality issues?

Poison_Fish
2009-12-02, 09:52 PM

If you ask me, he's between the Belligerency stage and the Violent Performances stage of Rhodes's Violentization Model.

snoopy13a
2009-12-02, 10:14 PM

Multiple Personality Disorder?

Antisocial personality disorder?

Male Pattern Baldness :smalltongue: ?

TheSummoner
2009-12-02, 11:02 PM
Gollum clearly suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Rutskarn
2009-12-06, 12:18 AM
What's with all the Canadian pseudo-scientific pop psychology bull**** speculation?

...Canadian?

Also: L is L. Any personality quirks probably stem from the fact that he was, in all probability, raised in a crazy psycho institution dedicated to producing disturbed analytic minds.

He seems to function fairly well in social situations, so I wouldn't say he's deeply autistic. Then again--if I was a psychologist licensed to make these calls, I wouldn't be typing this from a jail cell, would I.

Lorenzo
2009-12-11, 05:00 PM
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:vmq6fnWx_NEJ:romantistegoist.blogsp ot.com/2007/05/l-and-autism.html+L+autism+drworm&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It's not iron clad, but it's interesting. I used to think L had Asberger's before it was revealed that L lies about everything (which I really think should have been introduced in the story itself, but that's a whole 'nother thing).

Green Bean
2009-12-11, 05:11 PM
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:vmq6fnWx_NEJ:romantistegoist.blogsp ot.com/2007/05/l-and-autism.html+L+autism+drworm&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I love how the author lists "intelligent", "observant", and "analytical" as signs of autism.