PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of fatigue?

Tyger
2009-11-29, 08:26 AM
Without sleeping that is. Anyone have any ideas? D&D 3.5 for the record.

Harperfan7
2009-11-29, 08:51 AM
Homebrew caffeine rules. I'm serious, treat it as a drug.

Teron
2009-11-29, 09:08 AM
Lesser restoration works.

Grushvak
2009-11-29, 09:22 AM
Homebrew caffeine rules. I'm serious, treat it as a drug.

If you can write this, I will love you forever.

Boci
2009-11-29, 09:24 AM
If you can write this, I will love you forever.

I treat caffein as allowing someone to ignore fatigue for X amount of time, but afterwards they're exhausted.

Killer Angel
2009-11-29, 09:26 AM
You can take a level in Horizon Walker with terrain: desert.
But if you aren't a ranger or something appropriate, I won't recommend it. :smalltongue:

Darrin
2009-11-29, 09:28 AM
Without sleeping that is. Anyone have any ideas? D&D 3.5 for the record.

Horizon Walker, Desert Terrain (SRD).

Potions of Lesser Restoration brewed by a 4th level paladin are only 50 GP.

Ray of Resurgence (Lost Empires of Faerun). 1st level Cleric, 2nd level Sorcerer/Wizard spell.

Sphere of Awakening (MIC).

Iron Heart Surge (ToB).

Legs of the Undying Marcher graft (MoE).

Harperfan7
2009-11-29, 10:30 AM
Caffeine (drug)
Cost: ???
Effect: Ten minutes after consuming one dose of caffeine, any fatigue/exhaustion effect is lessened by one step (so exhausted becomes fatigued and fatigued becomes nothing) and the user gains a +2 bonus vs. any effect that would cause fatigue. The user also gains a +2 bonus to saves vs. sleep, and a +1 bonus on listen, spot, reflex & will saves, and initiative. One dose lasts for 2d4 minus Con Mod (minimum 1) hours.
Addiction: The user must make a fortitude save DC 10 for each dose consumed in a 24 hour period or become addicted, and each dose after the first increases the DC by 1.
Withdrawal: After 2d12 + Con Mod (+4 w/endurance) hours after the last dose, the user suffers withdrawal symptoms. These are an inversion of the drugs benefits (gains one step of fatigue, -2 vs. sleep, -1 on listen, etc.).
After another 2d12 + Con Mod (+4 w/endurance) hours, the penalties double. After 5 days minus Con Mod (minimum 1) the effects stop and the user is no longer addicted.
Once the user is suffering withdrawal symptoms, one dose will alleviate the penalties until that dose wears off.
Side effects: Each usage of caffeine in a day after the third gives a cumulative -1 penalty to all dexterity-based skill checks and attack rolls, but an additional +1 bonus to reflex saves. These penalties/bonuses reset when the character sleeps.
Method of entry: Chewing on seeds, bark, or leaves of certain plants – consuming tea and coffee and possibly tablets.

It's not perfect, but it works.

Draz74
2009-11-29, 12:42 PM
Iron Heart Surge (ToB).

Since when does Fatigue have a duration?

But yeah, (Lesser) Restoration is definitely the main standby for this purpose.

Kantolin
2009-11-29, 01:41 PM
You can also take the alternate class feature for half-orcish paladins which lets you remove fatigue instead of disease.

I'm not actually suggesting this, but that's mostly since it's still /week, which makes it about laterally as worthless as standard remove disease.

Anyway, a couple other options from the Spell Compendium:

Healing Lorecall (Cleric 2, Druid 2, Ranger 1) Lets you fix conditions depending on your ranks in heal when youc ast a healing spell. One of the '5 rank' options is fatigue (And two of the 10 rank options is exhausted are nauseated and exhausted, which are surprisingly hard to solve). Also makes your healing spells usually 3 virtual caster levels higher than you.

Then Panacea (Cleric 4, Druid 5), cures pretty much everything that's wrong with you besides ability damage or negative levels.

A level 6 11 Dragon Shaman (PHB2) can use 'touch of vitality'. Removing 5 points of healing allows them to remove fatigue (10 for exhausted and nauseated again).

Finally, I believe the magic item compendium has an item that allows paladins and monks to do what dragon shamans can do(Monks only to themselves), but I can't recall what it is offhand.

Thurbane
2009-11-29, 03:45 PM
Finally, I believe the magic item compendium has an item that allows paladins and monks to do what dragon shamans can do(Monks only to themselves), but I can't recall what it is offhand.
Caduceus Bracers.

...and the minimum Dragon Shaman level to remove conditions (like Fatigued) is actually 11 (I'm playing one at the moment).

d13
2009-11-29, 06:20 PM
You know... Be a Warforged xD

Radiun
2009-11-29, 06:29 PM
Play a group of Kobold Triplet Rogues.

When one is tired, another switches places with him, and no one's the wiser

Curmudgeon
2009-11-29, 06:54 PM
Get a Breath of the Waves graft (Magic of Eberron) installed. Removes fatigue, exhaustion, and a bunch of other conditions once/hour.

dspeyer
2009-11-30, 02:56 AM
Caffeine (drug)
Effect: Ten minutes after consuming one dose of caffeine, any fatigue/exhaustion effect is lessened by one step (so exhausted becomes fatigued and fatigued becomes nothing) and the user gains a +2 bonus vs. any effect that would cause fatigue. The user also gains a +2 bonus to saves vs. sleep, and a +1 bonus on listen, spot, reflex & will saves, and initiative. One dose lasts for 2d4 minus Con Mod (minimum 1) hours.
Addiction: The user must make a fortitude save DC 10 for each dose consumed in a 24 hour period or become addicted, and each dose after the first increases the DC by 1.
Withdrawal: After 2d12 + Con Mod (+4 w/endurance) hours after last dose, the user suffers withdrawal symptoms. These are an inversion of the drugs benefits (gains one step of fatigue, -2 vs. sleep, -1 on listen, etc.).
After another 2d12 + Con Mod (+4 w/endurance) hours, the penalties double. After 5 days minus Con Mod (minimum 1) the effects stop and the user is no longer addicted.
Once the user is suffering withdrawal symptoms, one dose will alleviate the penalties until that dose wears off.
Method of entry: Chewing on seeds, bark, or leaves of certain plants – consuming tea and coffee and possibly tablets.

It's not perfect, but it works.

What about jitters?

Side effects: Each usage of caffeine in a day after the third gives a cumulative -1 penalty to all dexterity-based skill checks and attack rolls. These penalties reset when the character sleeps.

Harperfan7
2009-11-30, 05:19 AM
What about jitters?

Side effects: Each usage of caffeine in a day after the third gives a cumulative -1 penalty to all dexterity-based skill checks and attack rolls. These penalties reset when the character sleeps.

Yes, I'll add this in.

Jastermereel
2009-11-30, 02:35 PM
Caffeine (drug)
Withdrawal: After 2d12 + Con Mod (+4 w/endurance) hours after the last dose, the user suffers withdrawal symptoms. These are an inversion of the drugs benefits (gains one step of fatigue, -2 vs. sleep, -1 on listen, etc.).
I really like the idea overall, but the Withdrawal stage seems triggered too soon or perhaps too arbitrarily.

I suppose it could depend on the conditions it's used, but it seems likely a fighter sleeping in armor would use it to start the morning clear of penalties. I would think that the next time they'd start really craving it would be the next morning - i.e. "I just can't wake up properly if I don't have my cup!".

Instead of a 2d12+Con stretch (which could be as short as two hours or easily as late as 28 hours, which could be noon the next day), why not just have it trigger upon wake up (or shortly thereafter)?

Overall though, quite awesome. I might have to offer it to my players if they have need of it, or not...just to catch them unawares. :smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2009-11-30, 02:39 PM

Caduceus Bracers work for Factotums, too. :smallsmile: