PDA

View Full Version : Boosting your UMD sky-high? [3.5e]

Adumbration
2009-11-29, 09:38 AM
Now, I'm building an artificer, level 13, and I suddenly find myself in need of extremely high UMD modifier. Becouse this is for the widely popular arena game Test of Spite, I am highly reluctant to reveal the specifics and why.

Let's just say that the DC I need to hit is 62. Is there any way to do this? Perhaps via a scroll of Moment of Prescience? Any and all rules within ToS ruleset is allowed. Go crazy, so I can go even crazier. :smallamused:

EDIT: 3.5e, naturally. Just a bit modified by ToS.

DementedFellow
2009-11-29, 09:46 AM
Do all thirteen levels need to be in Artificer? A dip or two in other classes would get you a few more bonuses on UMD.

UMD and other charisma based skill maxing can benefit from a perusal of a look at a diplomancer build.

Marshal and Warlock are two classes that might give you a couple bonuses and there is a nice bit of synergy.

I don't know if this idea will work with ToS, as I haven't read all the rules and I may have missed it.

Adumbration
2009-11-29, 09:47 AM
Do all thirteen levels need to be in Artificer? A dip or two in other classes would get you a few more bonuses on UMD.

UMD and other charisma based skill maxing can benefit from a perusal of a look at a diplomancer build.

Marshal and Warlock are two classes that might give you a couple bonuses and there is a nice bit of synergy.

I don't know if this idea will work with ToS, as I haven't read all the rules and I may have missed it.

Well, I would like to keep the 13th level, since that's what gives me the ability to take 10 on UMD. Saves a lot of trouble, in my opinion.

Bayar
2009-11-29, 09:52 AM
Now, I'm building an artificer, level 13, and I suddenly find myself in need of extremely high UMD modifier. Becouse this is for the widely popular arena game Test of Spite, I am highly reluctant to reveal the specifics and why.

Let's just say that the DC I need to hit is 62. Is there any way to do this? Perhaps via a scroll of Moment of Prescience? Any and all rules within ToS ruleset is allowed. Go crazy, so I can go even crazier. :smallamused:

I dont think you need a bonus higher than 37. Because that is the MAX DC you will ever meet (unless you go with boosing CL and such with staffificier shenanagins).

At level 10 you can take 10 on UMD as an artificier.
Your UMD skill rank should be 16.
Custom UMD tool: +2 for 50 GP
Skill focus (UMD): +3 for 1 feat
Shape soulmeld (Elder Spirit): +4 for 1 feat
Illiterate trait (UMD): +1 and be illiterate, spend 2 skill points to become literate
Greater Skill Shard (UMD): +5 competence once for 500 GP
Spellsight Spectacles: +5 competence bonus on UMD using scrolls for 2500 GP
Synergy bonus from 5 ranks in Spellcraft, Dechipher Script, Knowlege (arcana): +6 UMD check with scrolls

Add any one of those with your CHA bonus, and either roll a d20 or take 10.

There was a thread on 339 with the world record at UMD bonus somewhere above 200, but it has been lost to the sands of time.

So, +42 so far. A UMD score of 52 when taking 10, and if you roll a 20 you have a 62.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-29, 09:56 AM
No custom items in ToS.

Adumbration
2009-11-29, 09:58 AM
Thanks, Bayar! That in conjunction of MoP or Surge of Fortune shall be enough for my purposes.

DementedFellow
2009-11-29, 10:00 AM
Keep in mind that multiple competence bonuses don't stack. Only the highest one will go to the check.

zagan
2009-11-29, 10:02 AM
I dont think you need a bonus higher than 37. Because that is the MAX DC you will ever meet (unless you go with boosing CL and such with staffificier shenanagins).

At level 10 you can take 10 on UMD as an artificier.
Your UMD skill rank should be 16.
Skill focus (UMD): +3 for 1 feat
Shape soulmeld (Elder Spirit): +4 for 1 feat
Illiterate trait (UMD): +1 and be illiterate, spend 2 skill points to become literate
Greater Skill Shard (UMD): +5 competence once for 500 GP
Spellsight Spectacles: +5 competence bonus on UMD using scrolls for 2500 GP
Synergy bonus from 5 ranks in Spellcraft, Dechipher Script, Knowlege (arcana): +6 UMD check with scrolls

Add any one of those with your CHA bonus, and either roll a d20 or take 10.

There was a thread on 339 with the world record at UMD bonus somewhere above 200, but it has been lost to the sands of time.

So, +42 so far. A UMD score of 52 when taking 10, and if you roll a 20 you have a 62.

Don't forget the skill enchantment infusion that give a +2 +1/2 caster level circumstance bonus to a single skill check. So at 13th level that's a +8.

sonofzeal
2009-11-29, 10:04 AM
Wieldskill (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=4635). Why has nobody mentioned this yet? Every Artificer worth their salt should have a wand of it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-29, 10:06 AM
Keep in mind that multiple competence bonuses don't stack. Only the highest one will go to the check.Also keep in mind that Artificers can make items that are competence instead give any other kind of bonus with an infusion.

Also, OP, it looks like the ToS is going to start capping item CL at 20. Just a warning.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-29, 10:08 AM
The only ToS legal UMD bonus item with a substantial bonus is a self-founded item of legacy (+10 competence).

You can persist minor schemas (MoE) of the Skill Enhancement infusion with metamagic spell completion. The Skill Enhancement + Item Alteration trick unfortunately does not work because of a ToS rule concerning which bonuses can be shuffled.

Magic Savant spell (CM) gives +4 insight.
Divine Insight (SpC) gives 5+CL insight on single check.
Improvisation (SpC) gives a pool of 2*CL to spend on bonuses.

PS. Wieldskill is +5 now.

Adumbration
2009-11-29, 10:08 AM
Also keep in mind that Artificers can make items that are competence instead give any other kind of bonus with an infusion.

Also, OP, it looks like the ToS is going to start capping item CL at 20. Just a warning.

That's not my trick. Not my trick at all, fortunately.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-29, 10:55 AM
Just for my own reference (I was at one time planning on entering an artificer in the ToS) lets see where we are without spending feats and only using continuous/persistent effects :

Your UMD skill rank should be 16
Lets say 14 Cha, for +2
Synergy bonus from 5 ranks in Spellcraft, Dechipher Script : +4 UMD check with scrolls
Persisted Skill Enhancement heightened to 6th level infusion : +9 circumstance
Item of Legacy : +10 competence (shifted to enhancement with persisted item alteration)
Persisted Wieldskill : +5 competence
Persisted Magic Savant : +4 insight
Charisma enhancement bonus items (with persisted item alterations) : +9

So total ... 55 general, 59 for scrolls

Unfortunately it would take about all of your wealth :) (The item alteration minor schemas and charisma bonus items are the most expensive though, and you don't lose that much dropping them.)

Darrin
2009-11-30, 05:33 PM
Magic Savant spell (CM) gives +4 insight.
Divine Insight (SpC) gives 5+CL insight on single check.
Improvisation (SpC) gives a pool of 2*CL to spend on bonuses.

PS. Wieldskill is +5 now.

You're missing Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a), 2nd level Cleric spell, +20 competence bonus to your next skill check, and easily potionable/wandable.

Tehnar
2009-11-30, 05:44 PM
Can't you use Heroism or the like to get a additional bonus?

erikun
2009-11-30, 05:48 PM
The Magical Aptitude feat gives a +2 untyped bonus.

Can you create a magical item for a compotence bonus? If not, Circlet of Persuasion gives a +3 compotence bonus to all Charisma-based checks. Although it looks like you may have other compotence bonuses which would render it irrelevant.

elonin
2009-11-30, 05:51 PM
I'm suprised that nonne has mentioned the circlet of persuasion from the DMG that gives a +4 to cha checks.

Also, there was a reference to emulating CL. CL isn't a class feature and thus can't be emulated. When using a staff or something that depends on CL only the minimum spell level can be used.

Keld Denar
2009-11-30, 05:56 PM
Get a Wand with Unfettered Heroism, then take the feat Wand Surge. This will give you nearly unlimited charges to spend on boost wands. Divine Insight or Guidance of the Avatar are great ones to use.

Also, a Staff with Improvisation on it, assuming a high CL UMD check, can give you a pretty decent skill bonus. I forget what type it is though.

sofawall
2009-11-30, 06:01 PM
I'm suprised that nonne has mentioned the circlet of persuasion from the DMG that gives a +4 to cha checks.

If not, Circlet of Persuasion gives a +3 compotence bonus to all Charisma-based checks.

Also, the whole "emulate CL" trick is very, very debated. Don't go around saying yay or nay as if you knew the answer, because there is ample proof on both sides.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-30, 06:20 PM
You're missing Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a), 2nd level Cleric spell, +20 competence bonus to your next skill check, and easily potionable/wandable.
Don't think 3.0 webcontent is ToS legal, but I could be wrong.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-30, 06:22 PM
Get a Wand with Unfettered Heroism, then take the feat Wand Surge.
No action points in ToS.