PDA

View Full Version : Custom Class - Waterdancer

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 10:25 AM
Ok, This is the first class i have ever created and my first post, so please dont be too harsh on me. But let me know what you guys think.

I am basing this off of Syrio Forel from George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones"

The Waterdancer
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Riposte +0 (Melee), Weapon Finesse
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Sneak Attack +1d6
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Insightful Strike, Trap Sense +1
4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge, Riposte +1 (Ranged)
5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Delay Attack +1
6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +2
7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Riposte +2 (Magical)
8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Evasion
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Trap Sense +3
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Delay Attack +2, Riposte +3, Sneak Attack +3d6
11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge
12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Trap Sense +4
13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|Riposte +4
14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|Sneak Attack +4d6
15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|Delay Attack +3, Trap Sense +5
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Riposte +5
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Slippery Mind
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6, Trap Sense +6
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Riposte +6
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Pride-Wounding Riposte, Delay Attack +4[/table]

Hit die: d8
Armor and Weapon Proficiency:Waterdancers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Waterdancers are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier
Skills - Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
Alignment: Lawful. Waterdancers take their time in a fight, studying their opponents and using their abilities against them.

Riposte (Melee) When an enemy misses a melee attack, the Waterdancer can redirect the attack at the attacker or an adjacent or flanking enemy with a +0 on his attack roll (the bonus increases by +1 every 3rd level). If the Riposte is successful, the attacker is then considered flat-footed until the end of the round. The Waterdancer can riposte as many times per round as equal to her dexterity modifier.

Weapon Finesse A Waterdancer gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level even if he does not qualify for the feat.

Sneak Attack If a Waterdancer can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The Waterdancer’s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Waterdancer flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 2nd level, and it increases by 1d6 every four Waterdancer levels thereafter. Should the Waterdancer score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Waterdancer can make a sneak attack that deals non-lethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal non-lethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty. A Waterdancer can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Waterdancer must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Waterdancer cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Insightful Strike At 3rd level and higher Waterdancer becomes able to place his finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. He applies his Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus he may have) with any light weapon, as well as other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the Waterdancer's insightful strike. A Waterdancer cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Trap Sense A Waterdancer gains an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the Waterdancer reaches 6th level, to +3 when he reaches 9th level, to +4 when he reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level. Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Uncanny Dodge Starting at 4th level, a Waterdancer retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Waterdancer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Riposte (Ranged) Starting at 4th level, when an enemy misses a ranged attack, the Waterdancer can redirect the attack at an adjacent or flanking enemy with a +1 on his attack roll (the bonus increases by +1 every 3rd level). The Waterdancer can riposte as many times per round as equal to her dexterity modifier.

Delay Attack Starting at 5th level, if the Waterdancer delays their action until the enemy attacks, the Waterdancer gets a +1 insight bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls against that enemy until the end of the round. This bonus increases by +1 every 5 levels for a +4 at 20.

Riposte (Magical) Starting at 7th level, spells that require an attack roll are also subject to Riposte if the Waterdancer wields a magical weapon.

Evasion Starting at 8th level, a Waterdancer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Waterdancer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Waterdancer does not gain the benefit of evasion

Improved Uncanny Dodge Starting at 11th level, Waterdancer can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Waterdancer by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Waterdancer levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Slippery Mind This ability represents the Waterdancer’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel him. Starting at 17th level, if a Waterdancer with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw

Pride-Wounding Riposte Whenever the Waterdancer of 20th level or above successfully uses Riposte against an attack, the attacker takes a temporary -2 penalty to their wisdom score until the end of combat. Penalties taken in this manner stack.

Zeta Kai
2009-11-29, 10:49 AM
Tables are your friend:

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Riposite -10, Weapon Finesse
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Sneak Attack +1d6
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Insightful Strike, Trap Sense +1
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Riposite -5,
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +2
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Evasion
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Delay Attack +1
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Trap Sense +3
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Riposite +0, Sneak Attack +3d6
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge
12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Trap Sense +4
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Sneak Attack +4d6
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Riposite +5, Trap Sense +5
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Delay Attack +2
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Slippery Mind
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6, Trap Sense +6
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Riposite +10[/table]

Much better. Now, click Quote in my post here below, & copy the code between the {table] tags. Then paste it into your post using the Edit button. Enjoy.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 10:50 AM
thank you!!

Nero24200
2009-11-29, 11:10 AM
Well...I got ninja'ed big time, since when I hit "Reply" there was no table.

I've only had a quick glance, so I can't tell you much about balance or such just yet, but I'd try to clarify a few things. For instance, Riposte (which does sound like a nice feature by the way) doesn't specificy if it can only be used X times per round or day, nor does it mention what the numbers next to it in the Special coloums indicate (though, I assume it's some sort of penalty bestowed to attack rolls when using the ability?)

Also don't be afraid to use the bold and italic tags, making your class stand out can do alot to make others more intesrested in reading it.

Anyway, I'll give it a better look and give you some feedback.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 11:14 AM
I am updating the post accordingly, thank you for your input

Well...I got ninja'ed big time, since when I hit "Reply" there was no table.

I've only had a quick glance, so I can't tell you much about balance or such just yet, but I'd try to clarify a few things. For instance, Riposte (which does sound like a nice feature by the way) doesn't specificy if it can only be used X times per round or day, nor does it mention what the numbers next to it in the Special coloums indicate (though, I assume it's some sort of penalty bestowed to attack rolls when using the ability?)

Also don't be afraid to use the bold and italic tags, making your class stand out can do alot to make others more intesrested in reading it.

Anyway, I'll give it a better look and give you some feedback.

Nero24200
2009-11-29, 11:40 AM
Alright, I've had a much better look, there are a few things that spring to mind..

Riposte: Seems very subdued. I'd lose the penalty given, since it's not really needed and it hurts alot at the lower levels (especially level 1). In fact, I might go the opposite direction and possibly give the waterdancer a bonus to damage rolls (like a rogue with sneak attack), but that might not nessicerily suit what you're going for.

Trap Sense: Nothing wrong mechanically, but it does seem just a little out of place.

Power: The class does seem a little underpowered (though it depends on what level of power you're going for. Against say...TOB classes, this class lags behind considerbly, though it only lags a little against class like the barbarian or rogue). I'd be inclinded to give it a bit of a power boost.

And lastly, I'd be tempted to give it one or two abilities to make it stand out more. Something like the Cascading Strike that the Dreadnought Class from D20 rebirth has could fit in terms of fluff and feel, or the Thousand Cuts ability that the dervish has. Or, depending on how supernatural you're like the class to be, theres also abilities like waterwalking and abilities effective against fire-based creatures. Or perhaps some sort of ability that pushes foes to target the waterdancer so that he/she can get more use out of his/her riposte ability.

Aside from those the class looks quite good.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 11:54 AM
I had a friend looking at it as well. he told me a similar thing about the riposte, about making it a +0 at 1st lvl and giving it a +1 bonus every 3rd level or so. making it more like the table below. I was also told that it might make things better if when an attack was sucessfully riposte it would make the attacker flatfooted. was also told to make the delay attack at 5, 10, 15 and 20 for a +1,2,3,4

The Waterdancer
1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Riposte +0, Weapon Finesse
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Sneak Attack +1d6
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Insightful Strike, Trap Sense +1
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge, Riposte +1
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Delay Attack +1
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +2
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Riposte +2
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Evasion
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Trap Sense +3
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Delay Attack +2, Riposte +3, Sneak Attack +3d6
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge
12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Trap Sense +4
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Riposte +4
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Sneak Attack +4d6
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Delay Attack +3, Trap Sense +5
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Riposte +5
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Slippery Mind
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6, Trap Sense +6
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Riposte +6
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Delay Attack +4[/table]

As for the trapsense, I was going for a very smart character who is always aware of his surrounds and the trap sense seemed like a perfect fit fot that type of character.

and for the "Thousand Cuts" ability, that is not exactly what i was going for. He is fast, yes, but I want him to be more of a thinker class than a wildly whipping sword class. Although the dervish Elaborate Parry ability fits a bit better flavor wise, but I am not sure if that would make him less underpowered. I dont know what the dreadnought class is, my group usually sticks to wotc official 3.5 books, so pulling from d20 rebirth wouldnt work for this one.

Thank you for your reply though :-D

Alright, I've had a much better look, there are a few things that spring to mind..

Riposte: Seems very subdued. I'd lose the penalty given, since it's not really needed and it hurts alot at the lower levels (especially level 1). In fact, I might go the opposite direction and possibly give the waterdancer a bonus to damage rolls (like a rogue with sneak attack), but that might not nessicerily suit what you're going for.

Trap Sense: Nothing wrong mechanically, but it does seem just a little out of place.

Power: The class does seem a little underpowered (though it depends on what level of power you're going for. Against say...TOB classes, this class lags behind considerbly, though it only lags a little against class like the barbarian or rogue). I'd be inclinded to give it a bit of a power boost.

And lastly, I'd be tempted to give it one or two abilities to make it stand out more. Something like the Cascading Strike that the Dreadnought Class from D20 rebirth has could fit in terms of fluff and feel, or the Thousand Cuts ability that the dervish has. Or, depending on how supernatural you're like the class to be, theres also abilities like waterwalking and abilities effective against fire-based creatures.

Aside from those the class looks quite good.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking there should be a capstone. Capstones are nice. Anyways, you need some more unique abilities. There's a lot of copied stuff from other classes. Also, for riposte, maybe you could make it have the enemy flat-footed.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 03:24 PM
How does this sound:
Pride-Wounding Riposte - Each successful riposte deals 2 temporary damage to attackers Wisdom.

I think that is great, add in an intimidate check, or have a caster buddy let loose. Also great against divine casters (paladins, rangers, clerics, etc)

A friend also brought up about having riposte hit the attacker if there are no adjacent or flanking enemies, thoughts?

Also, would it be feasible to have the riposte work against spells that require an attack roll? (ie wizzy uses Acid Arrow on you, you can kind of deflect it to an enemy that is adjacent to you if they fail the touch attack)

I'm thinking there should be a capstone. Capstones are nice. Anyways, you need some more unique abilities. There's a lot of copied stuff from other classes. Also, for riposte, maybe you could make it have the enemy flat-footed.

DracoDei
2009-11-29, 03:26 PM
The waterdancer can riposte as many times per round as equal to her dexterity score.
You mean dexterity MODIFIER I am almost sure, since dexterity SCORE per round would be the same thing as no limit for all practical purposes (not that this way is much of a limit anyway). Dex Score per day would be weird actually.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 03:30 PM
Yes, thank you for catching that. It is dex mod, not score. similar in use to combat reflexes

You mean dexterity MODIFIER I am almost sure, since dexterity SCORE per round would be the same thing as no limit for all practical purposes (not that this way is much of a limit anyway). Dex Score per day would be weird actually.

Solaris
2009-11-29, 03:44 PM
Also, would it be feasible to have the riposte work against spells that require an attack roll? (ie wizzy uses Acid Arrow on you, you can kind of deflect it to an enemy that is adjacent to you if they fail the touch attack)

I vote for that, and that it require a magic weapon to parry attack spells.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 03:59 PM
I vote for that, and that it require a magic weapon to parry attack spells.

Agreed. Maybe you could even make a system for deflection. Like for spells level 0 - 3, a +1 weapon, 4 - 5/6 a +2, 6/7 - 8 a +3, 9 a +4?

EDIT: Might be too complicated though.

Satyr
2009-11-29, 04:24 PM
I would probably remain the different water dancer abilities with Syrio Forel's saying and bonmots - you know, it's not "Insightful Strike" it's "Fierce like a Wolverine", or "Quick as a Snake" instead of "Riposte", and "Calm as Still Water" instead of "Slippery Mind".

It might be a tad more confusing, but it would add so much sweet fluff to the class, making it more like a water dancer, and less like a generic Swashbuckler stand-in.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 04:33 PM
I am going to have to say, that is quite the awesome idea. After we get the abilities figured out and make it a playable class, Changing the names should be easy!

I would probably remain the different water dancer abilities with Syrio Forel's saying and bonmots - you know, it's not "Insightful Strike" it's "Fierce like a Wolverine", or "Quick as a Snake" instead of "Riposte", and "Calm as Still Water" instead of "Slippery Mind".

It might be a tad more confusing, but it would add so much sweet fluff to the class, making it more like a water dancer, and less like a generic Swashbuckler stand-in.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 06:27 PM
Also, how about create water 1/encounter at 2nd level, and at will later? Or perhaps when moving quickly (at least 10 feet of movement), you can use create water in combat at will? It would be flavorful and slightly useful. Spray water to hit invisible opponents so you can see them and their "drips." Plus, it would be an active ability. There's too many passive abilities on this, in my opinion. Well...not too many...but the ratio is off.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 06:35 PM
Are you suggesting to possibly use it to blind enemies or make them flat-footed? Any thoughts on how that would work?

Also, how about create water 1/encounter at 2nd level, and at will later? Or perhaps when moving quickly (at least 10 feet of movement), you can use create water in combat at will? It would be flavorful and slightly useful. Spray water to hit invisible opponents so you can see them and their "drips." Plus, it would be an active ability. There's too many passive abilities on this, in my opinion. Well...not too many...but the ratio is off.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 06:38 PM
Hmm...you could use it like people use marbles. Make them slip. Hehe. I suppose create water is really versatile, so you could do pretty much anything water could do...

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 06:42 PM
The only problem with that is, all of his other abilities are pure physical. Where does the create water fit in?

Temotei
2009-11-29, 06:50 PM
The only problem with that is, all of his other abilities are pure physical. Where does the create water fit in?

Somewhat my point. They're all fighting abilities with some dancing fluff, but why water? Sure, it's flowing...but so are dancers. There's a comparison, but the name waterdancer is kind of misleading, if only because there are no water-based ideas in the class. I figure create water would extend the flavor a little. Perhaps you could restrict it to combat uses, like doing a small amount of damage (1) while moving if you pass an enemy? You could make it a touch attack if you like too. It wouldn't be much, but it would fit with the class idea. Or at least what I'm getting from it.

BringTacos
2009-11-29, 07:30 PM
It was named Waterdancer after the character Syrio Forel in the book "A Game of Thrones". It is a very good book and I suggest reading it as some point. :-D

Somewhat my point. They're all fighting abilities with some dancing fluff, but why water? Sure, it's flowing...but so are dancers. There's a comparison, but the name waterdancer is kind of misleading, if only because there are no water-based ideas in the class. I figure create water would extend the flavor a little. Perhaps you could restrict it to combat uses, like doing a small amount of damage (1) while moving if you pass an enemy? You could make it a touch attack if you like too. It wouldn't be much, but it would fit with the class idea. Or at least what I'm getting from it.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2009-11-30, 12:46 PM
:smallsmile:

Fortuna
2009-11-30, 01:21 PM
Ok, This is the first class i have ever created and my first post, so please dont be too harsh on me. But let me know what you guys think.

Great! I, too, am a relatively new member of the playground, and it is a wonderful community.

I am basing this off of Syrio Forel from George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones"

Never heard of it:smallbiggrin:. Bear that in mind when you read my criticism.

The Waterdancer
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Riposte +0, Weapon Finesse
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Sneak Attack +1d6
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Insightful Strike, Trap Sense +1
4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge, Riposte +1
5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Delay Attack +1
6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +2
7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Riposte +2
8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|Evasion
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|Trap Sense +3
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Delay Attack +2, Riposte +3, Sneak Attack +3d6
11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge
12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|Trap Sense +4
13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|Riposte +4
14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|Sneak Attack +4d6
15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|Delay Attack +3, Trap Sense +5
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Riposte +5
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Slippery Mind
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6, Trap Sense +6
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Riposte +6
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Pride-Wounding Riposte, Delay Attack +4[/table]

Hit die: d8
Armor and Weapon Proficiency:Waterdancers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Waterdancers are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.
Skill Points at First Level: (4+Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points[U] At Each Additional Level: 4+Int modifier.
Skills - Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
Alignment: Lawful. Waterdancers take their time in a fight, studying their opponents and using their abilities against them.

This all looks mostly fine. As I go through, I will correct any errors in bold, or underlined if they were already in bold.

Riposte When an enemy misses an attack, the waterdancer can redirect the attack to an adjacent or flanking enemy with a +0 on her attack roll (the bonus increases by +1 every 3rd level). If the Riposte is successful, the attacker is then considered flat-footed until the end of the round. Spells that require an attack roll are also subject to Riposte if the waterdancer wields a magical weapon. The waterdancer can riposte as many times per round as equal to her dexterity modifier.

Fun little ability. I assume that it is intentional for it to affect ranged attacks as well?

Weapon Finesse A Waterdancer gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level even if she does not qualify for the feat.

Fine.

Sneak Attack From second level, if a waterdancer can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The waterdancer’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the waterdancer flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 2nd level, and it increases by 1d6 every four Waterdancer levels thereafter. Should the waterdancer score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a waterdancer can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty. A waterdancer can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The waterdancer must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A waterdancer cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Obviously fine, apart from my adjustment. In general, you don't capitalize a class name in the ability descriptions. You also mention when the ability is gained in the description.

Insightful Strike From third level, a waterdancer becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the waterdancer's insightful strike. A waterdancer cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Fair enough.

Trap Sense Starting at third level, a waterdancer gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the waterdancer reaches 6th level, to +3 when she reaches 9th level, to +4 when she reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level. Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Again, obviously fine.

Uncanny Dodge From fourth level, a waterdancer retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a waterdancer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Fine, although it is interesting that your class member has switched genders :smallbiggrin:

Evasion Starting at seventh level, a waterdancer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the waterdancer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless waterdancer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

No problems here.

Delay Attack From fifth level, If the Waterdancer delays their action until the enemy attacks, the Waterdancer gets a +1 insight bonus to Armor Class and attack rolls against that enemy until the end of the round. This bonus increases by +1 every 5 levels for a +4 at 20.

This is also a rather fun little ability. Nice synergy with Riposte as well.

Improved Uncanny Dodge At eleventh level, a waterdancer can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the waterdancer by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has waterdancer levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Fine, although they've switched genders again.

Slippery Mind This ability represents the waterdancer’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. Starting at seventeenth level, if a waterdancer is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw

OK, nice way to fill in a dead level.

Pride-Wounding Riposte Whenever a waterdancer of 20th level or above successfully uses Riposte against an attack, the attacker takes 2 takes a temporary -2 penalty to their wisdom score until the end of combat. Penalties taken in this manner stack.

Interesting. Unusual flavour, since what you are doing could quite easily send a brute into a coma fairly quickly, but I like it.

On the whole, a fun little class. Well done for a first-time poster (better than my first, anyway).

BringTacos
2009-11-30, 05:53 PM
Thank you for catching more of my typos and omissions. I have updated the first post to reflect this. I am glad you like the class :-D

Great! I, too, am a relatively new member of the playground, and it is a wonderful community.

Never heard of it:smallbiggrin:. Bear that in mind when you read my criticism.

This all looks mostly fine. As I go through, I will correct any errors in bold, or underlined if they were already in bold.

Fun little ability. I assume that it is intentional for it to affect ranged attacks as well?

Fine.

Obviously fine, apart from my adjustment. In general, you don't capitalize a class name in the ability descriptions. You also mention when the ability is gained in the description.

Fair enough.

Again, obviously fine.

Fine, although it is interesting that your class member has switched genders :smallbiggrin:

No problems here.

This is also a rather fun little ability. Nice synergy with Riposte as well.

Fine, although they've switched genders again.

OK, nice way to fill in a dead level.

Interesting. Unusual flavour, since what you are doing could quite easily send a brute into a coma fairly quickly, but I like it.

On the whole, a fun little class. Well done for a first-time poster (better than my first, anyway).