PDA

View Full Version : Balance - how do I have fun with a powerful character without annoying my coplayers?

Aharon
2009-11-29, 11:49 AM
Hi all!

My DM allowed an Incantatar, and I don't have the strength of character to abstain from playing such a powerful class - any proposals to take something less powerful are wise and certainly of use, but don't pertain to my situation.

The group consists of
1) a Half-Giant Warblade 8, the player knows the rules and optimises a bit, but really likes d6 and takes attack powers that offer many of them.
2) a half drow Necropolitan Dread Necromancer 8, who mainly uses Debuffs and Summon Skeleton 1-5
3) a Halfling Rogue 9, the player barely knows the rules and relies on getting buffed with blink to generate lots of Sneak attacks.
4) a Human Beguiler 5/Widow Queen 4 (Prestige Class from Frank and K's tome of houserules, full spell progression, gets paralysing touch attack and ability draining bite). She does mostly BC (Grease, Glitterdust, etc.)

The problem is:
I don't really know where to go with the character. I thought about role-playing applications first (I look forward to get a very hard to beat disguise with persisted Alter Self and Disguise Self), game play second - so I don't really know what to do with the character.
I will be able to reliably persist 0th and 1st level spells, 2nd level spells with 15% of failure (Easy Metamagic, High Point Buy and Minor Schema of Skill Enhancement, CL 20).

But it's a long time since I played last and didn't DM. When I played last, I was rather selfish and didn't think about not stealing spotlight. This is something I would like to avoid now.

What can I do in a group where every role is already taken?

Radiun
2009-11-29, 11:52 AM
Hi all!

My DM allowed an Incantatar, and I don't have the strength of character to abstain from playing such a powerful class - any proposals to take something less powerful are wise and certainly of use, but don't pertain to my situation

Pray tell, where is Incantatar from/what is its shtick?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-29, 11:56 AM
Pray tell, where is Incantatar from/what is its shtick?Incantrix, but for guys. Same mechanics.

I'd recommend snagging Reach Spell, Chain Spell, Twin Spell, and Persist Spell, then going to town on group buffs. You can still break the game, but the party won't care because they're the ones doing the awesome stuff during combat. All you do is toss out spells at the beginning of the day and a bit of BC during fights.

Grumman
2009-11-29, 12:00 PM
Take the Chain Spell feat, and learn the Heroics spell. Then everybody is happy! The rest of the party isn't going to complain when you start handing out temporary fighter feats like they were candy.

Grushvak
2009-11-29, 01:14 PM
Incantrix, but for guys. Same mechanics.

I'd recommend snagging Reach Spell, Chain Spell, Twin Spell, and Persist Spell, then going to town on group buffs. You can still break the game, but the party won't care because they're the ones doing the awesome stuff during combat. All you do is toss out spells at the beginning of the day and a bit of BC during fights.

This. It's how DMM Persist Clerics can fly under the radar while still buffing the group to unreasonable levels.

icefractal
2009-11-29, 10:16 PM
Also using your abilities for efficiency over raw power. For instance, let's say you could get effectively an 8th-level effect out of a 5th level spell - which would probably trump everyone else, if used offensively. That means, however, that you can also get a 5th level effect out of a 2nd level spell, which would be on-par with the others powerwise, but you have enough endurance to go all day without breaking a sweat. And if the situation looks like a TPK, you have the big guns to pull out.