PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with True20?

Jimp
2009-11-29, 12:15 PM
I was thinking of starting a furturistic True20 game and was wondering what other peoples' experiences with the system are? Good/bad? Problems/flaws to look out for? The main appeal for me was its injury system as D20 Modern's HP system didn't work out so well for the futuristic style game I was running before so any reports on how well the injury system works would be great.
Thanks in advance :smallsmile:

Grynning
2009-11-29, 12:56 PM
I haven't played True20, just flipped through the book, but I believe it uses toughness saves and bruises/wounds like Mutants and Masterminds, which I have played pretty extensively.

If it is the same damage system, it is very cinematic, with some hits being shrugged off and others able to knock out characters with one blow (good vs. a bad toughness save). It's not "realistic" but then neither are hit points. M&M also includes the concept of goons/mooks/minions which go down with a single hit; these can be used for random thugs that you don't want the group to take all day fighting (since a string of good toughness saves can make some enemies last longer than you think they will).

Jimp
2009-11-30, 04:39 PM
The more cinematic combat is what I'm aiming for so that sounds good.
Any more input?

Jimp
2009-12-04, 12:22 PM
Anybody at all? :roach:

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-04, 12:30 PM
True20 is nice, if you put the effort in. It's only the basics of a ruleset, and you probably need a good campaign setting to make it really work, or be really good at making rules to fit your own setting.

It is adaptable, yes, but it does suffer a bit for the same reason.

It does have a number of setting books available, however, with rules to scavenge from.

Might I also suggest Unisystem, a system similar to True20? You can find the .pdf for Witchcraft, a Unisystem game, for free on RPGNow.com. Will help you compare the two.

If you do want to play True20, however, I suggest getting Interface Zero, Tales of the Caliphate Nights and Shadows of Cthulhu.

wormwood
2009-12-04, 12:35 PM
I played in a Modern Fantasy True20 game for a while. I liked the system, overall, and didn't have any major complaints. It's true that the base rules could use some expansion. Sourcebooks are good.

I didn't have any real issues with the health system. My character was quite flimsy, so i had to watch myself when the bullets started flying, but it made things interesting. You can definitely one-shot folks if the dice are not in their favor.

Draz74
2009-12-04, 12:40 PM
I haven't played True20, just flipped through the book, but I believe it uses toughness saves and bruises/wounds like Mutants and Masterminds, which I have played pretty extensively.

M&M uses a slightly different bruises/wounds system than True20. Slightly less confusing bookkeeping in M&M.

I haven't actually played True20, though, so I can't say much more ...