PDA

View Full Version : I need help with an Archdevil (PF/3.5)

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 01:03 PM
Yes, it's me again xD

Well, I have this DM friend on another site who usually is pretty conservative. He's a major lover of 2 ed. and has trouble understanding how certain players like playing as unusual or monstrous races for our PCs. But the other day he dropped a bombshell in me and a friend's lap. He will be DMing a game with the following statistics:

- Racial HD, LA, etc. are not factored into overall character level.

- Level 30 Gestalt

- Base 18 in all stats before any moderators are applied

- Using Pathfinder with backwards compatibility.

- Characters have 1 billion starter gold (Artifacts cost 1-10 mill)

- Characters have 10 Divine Ranks

So being awed by this, my first thought was to play a Pit Fiend. I always liked those guys and thought it would be neat to put such a powerful one into the game. But while building it, I realized that a Pit Fiend with that much power isn't really a Pit Fiend anymore, is it? If anything it should have evolved into a unique infernal being.

So this is where you guys come in.

First off, I don't really know if there are any rules on making your own Archdevil or Demon Lord. I have the Book of Vile Darkness and access to the Fiendish Codex II, but that's all.

Second off, what suggestions do you guys have on a theme for it? I have a few ideas on what kind of Devil I want this guy to be but I'm always up for fresh perspective.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-29, 02:10 PM
- Racial HD, LA, etc. are not factored into overall character level.

- Level 30 Gestalt

- Base 18 in all stats before any moderators are applied

- Using Pathfinder with backwards compatibility.

- Characters have 1 billion starter gold (Artifacts cost 1-10 mill)

- Characters have 25 Divine Ranks

This isn't an Archfiend, this is an Overdeity. This is what Pun pun eventually turns himself into, are you sure that 3.5 DnD is the right game for this power level?:smallconfused:

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 02:19 PM
This isn't an Archfiend, this is an Overdeity. This is what Pun pun eventually turns himself into, are you sure that 3.5 DnD is the right game for this power level?:smallconfused:

It's his insanity, not mine. I'm just making something to meet his prereqs.

Boci
2009-11-29, 02:22 PM
It's his insanity, not mine. I'm just making something to meet his prereqs.

Really? You seem to be expecting others to do the "making".

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 02:24 PM
Really? You seem to be expecting others to do the "making".

No, I'm simply curious what other folks would stylize an Archdevil as. :smallannoyed:

I'm not looking for builds, simply concepts, like how Meph specializes in Hellfire or Dispater has his "you can't touch me!" tower.

Yukitsu
2009-11-29, 02:26 PM
Well as an overdiety, you no longer have stats, because they are completely and utterly omnipotent, so statting becomes a touch difficult.

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 02:27 PM
Well as an overdiety, you no longer have stats, because they are completely and utterly omnipotent, so statting becomes a touch difficult.

I'm not looking for people to give their ideas on stats. I'm just curious on what theme ideas folks have for Archdevils/Demon Lords

Edwin
2009-11-29, 02:27 PM
No, I'm simply curious what other folks would stylize an Archdevil as. :smallannoyed:

I'm not looking for builds, simply concepts, like how Meph specializes in Hellfire or Dispater has his "you can't touch me!" tower.

He does have a point though.

With 25 divine ranks, you transcend your characters sheets and essentially come to a point where everyone can do everything. Twice. A round.

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 02:30 PM
He does have a point though.

With 25 divine ranks, you transcend your characters sheets and essentially come to a point where everyone can do everything. Twice. A round.

The campaign info was only for background.

I'm fully aware something with Divine Rank 25 could literally spit on a city and probably vaporize it.

Boci

Fair enough. I believe dice freaks had some pretty decent rules for what you're after. As far a themes go:

Energy gestalt - An archfiend who traps his opponent in an icy prison, only to scorch their skin with fire, beofre dissolving their remains in acid

Time lord - Multiple actions per rounds, greater uses for immidiate actions, trap defeated enemies in time to make rezing them harder

Deception master - One ability I always wanted to use was a summoning multuiply fiends and simaltenously disguises you as one of the sumoned monster, and one of the summoned monsters as you

I'm fully aware something with Divine Rank 25 could literally spit on a city and probably vaporize it.

Nope, thats a 20th level wizard. With 25 divine ranks and epic casting its closer to vaporising the world.

grautry

Ayup.

Once you start seriously messing around with Divine Ranks, you get Alter Reality which allows for you to have ALL positive spells that ever existed, ever, on at all times on you - permanently.

So, unless you're willing to spend the next fifty hours establishing a freaking buffing routine, forget the insanity.

But if you ignore stuff like that(and assume that 25 DvR doesn't necessarily mean that you're omnipotent), Dicefreaks has done some pretty good work on epic Nine Hells. Just find their "Gates of Hell" supplement and dig in.

Yukitsu
2009-11-29, 02:32 PM
I'm not looking for people to give their ideas on stats. I'm just curious on what theme ideas folks have for Archdevils/Demon Lords

The "That crazed overdiety one that literally does whatever he wants just because he feels like it, up to and including punching Azmodeus, reanimating his corpse as a toad, then having the toad rule hell" archetype may be appropriate here.

You see, archfiends that stick to a type of attack or whatever does so because he's not powerful enough to do them all at once.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-29, 02:33 PM
Speaking of Dicefreaks, they've got a beautiful little write up of their version of hell with a section on each tier of the Infernal hierarchy, you could get some great ideas out of this (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8&sid=4f2dc1b1ca51452e15b79f6dac46076d)if you want backgrounds and if you want various different styles of opperator

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 02:36 PM
Speaking of Dicefreaks, they've got a beautiful little write up of their version of hell with a section on each tier of the Infernal hierarchy, you could get some great ideas out of this (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8&sid=4f2dc1b1ca51452e15b79f6dac46076d)if you want backgrounds and if you want various different styles of opperator

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Tanuki Tales
2009-11-29, 03:22 PM
Well, we talked some minimal sense into the DM and he cut the Div Ran down to 10.