PDA

View Full Version : Blood Metamagic 3.5 help needed

AzureDistress
2009-11-29, 04:19 PM
Hello ^^ I am in need of assistance with a possible build for a sorcerer. I was looking through several arcane prcs when I happened upon two of them: Blood magus and Tainted sorcerer. Blood magus was ok, but the tainted sorcerer caught my attention fairly quickly.

What I am asking for is peoples oppinions and dvice on these prcs, and any advice for making a blood mage. If I had a choice I would focus on metamagic in some way. Lets assume the build would be 7-8th lv.

Help??? <.< >.>

mostlyharmful
2009-11-29, 04:24 PM
doesn't blood mage only give half casting progression? I know it's not full so unless you're really really really tied to the idea it'd be a real step down in power and versatility.

Haven't got my copy of CArc here so I'm going from memory but at level 7/8 as I recall you can use your own blood for potions and that's about it... I think... so mostly you'll be building a Sorceror with an extra small trick or two in which case there's a couple nice sorc guides kicking around here, google Solos Stupendeous Sorceror Strategims or some such for a good opener on Sorc building.

ex cathedra
2009-11-29, 04:24 PM
Tainted Scholar? You accrue taint for doing things with the class, but it fuels your casting. Enough taint can eventually kill you, so I would recommend becoming a Necropolitan [Libris Mortis, 114] Wizard 5/Tainted Scholar. You see, necropolitan makes you undead. Undead suffer no ill effects from taint.

Blood Magus is significantly less effective than Tainted Scholar, if memory serves, though it has some interesting flavor.

UglyPanda
2009-11-29, 04:27 PM
Blood Magus is 8/10 progression, with the empty levels at 5 and 10.

Taint Variant rules are here: Link (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedTaint.html)

Quick question: Are you sure your DM is using the Taint Rules or are you just going to request it if you want it?

AzureDistress
2009-11-29, 04:30 PM
true, I just pointed out blood magus so that people know I know about it.

I'm looking up Tainted Scholar right now, but w/Tainted Sorcerer the taint only does 1/2 drain on wisdom and no drain on Con. Plus I can sacrifice CON in place of levels for metamagic. Something tells me I could exploit this with binder+anima mage with the vestige that prevents ability damage >.<

I can request it, and it would probably only affect me and/or with extremely evil creatures

mostlyharmful
2009-11-29, 04:31 PM
ok, that makes it much better, since sorc gets nothing from staying in Class and Tainted Scholar is either crippling or utterly broken dependant on your type.

AzureDistress
2009-11-29, 04:50 PM
True, I like the Tainted Scholar now that I read up on it, but It seems like an offshoot of the tainted sorcerer in most every aspects. The only problem that the tainted sorcerer really has is that a. all her spells gain the Evil descriptor and b. every time she casts an evil spell she must make a will save or gain a taint point.

Any other ideas? any feats, items, or anything else that would compliment this type of build?

Optimystik
2009-11-29, 05:01 PM
Blood Magus is actually a nice 4-level dip for Sorcerers. They get Scribe Scroll for free (on their skin), Brew potion for free (in their blood), an effective untyped +4 to concentration checks to cast while being damaged, Eschew Materials for free (except for costly ones) by taking damage which also bumps your CL up by 1, and you become stable automatically below 0 HP. All without losing caster levels.

It's pretty thematic too, given most sorcerers' blood fixation.

Myrmex
2009-11-29, 05:25 PM
Blood Magus is actually a nice 4-level dip for Sorcerers. They get Scribe Scroll for free (on their skin), Brew potion for free (in their blood), an effective untyped +4 to concentration checks to cast while being damaged, Eschew Materials for free (except for costly ones) by taking damage which also bumps your CL up by 1, and you become stable automatically below 0 HP. All without losing caster levels.

Yeah, but you could have just taken any two of those and not bothered with the class, since I doubt Great Fortitude and Toughness are at the top of your feat list.

Optimystik
2009-11-29, 05:37 PM
Yeah, but you could have just taken any two of those and not bothered with the class, since I doubt Great Fortitude and Toughness are at the top of your feat list.

True, if Scribe Scroll and Brew Potion were all you got it wouldn't be worth it. But as I said, you're also effectively getting Skill Focus: Concentration (which itself stacks with the actual Skill Focus: Concentration), Eschew Materials, Heighten Spell and Diehard. So you're trading 2 feats for 6 decent ones without losing caster levels.

Boci
2009-11-29, 05:44 PM
True, if Scribe Scroll and Brew Potion were all you got it wouldn't be worth it. But as I said, you're also effectively getting Skill Focus: Concentration (which itself stacks with the actual Skill Focus: Concentration), Eschew Materials, Heighten Spell and Diehard. So you're trading 2 feats for 6 decent ones without losing caster levels.

And just hope that your DM doesn't enforce the stupid requirement that you must have died to enter the class.

Myrmex
2009-11-29, 05:52 PM

What level do you get Heighten Spell? I'm looking at the class and not seeing it. It has the ability to increase CL by 1 by taking 1 point of damage, but that won't help the spell get through a globe of invulnerability or make it harder to save against.

A four level dip definitely isn't bad, and if the OP wants to play it for flavor, than he should go for it. Four levels won't cripple him, by any means. I'd rather go for two levels in MotAO, and burn my feats on that. But then, I PrC for power, and Blood Magus doesn't do much in offering more than what you put in.

Optimystik
2009-11-29, 06:24 PM
What level do you get Heighten Spell? I'm looking at the class and not seeing it. It has the ability to increase CL by 1 by taking 1 point of damage, but that won't help the spell get through a globe of invulnerability or make it harder to save against.

That's what I meant. And no, all it does is raise CL, but it doesn't change any of your spells' slots either.

A four level dip definitely isn't bad, and if the OP wants to play it for flavor, than he should go for it. Four levels won't cripple him, by any means. I'd rather go for two levels in MotAO, and burn my feats on that. But then, I PrC for power, and Blood Magus doesn't do much in offering more than what you put in.

MoTAO is good of course, but a) the OP didn't mention it, and b) its not an intuitive choice for Sorcerers, who need the Arcane Preparation feat to even be eligible.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-29, 06:30 PM
Don't forget to at some point Dip Ardent, take the Practiced Manifester Feat, and then Dip Subverted Psion so that you can't die from too much taint while simultaneously granting absurd bonuses. :smallsmile:

AzureDistress
2009-11-29, 08:50 PM
Interesting ideas :D

I have a question: what are the best feats for metamagic and/or general arcane fun? Lets assume with the metamagic that I DON'T need to use up a higher spell slot then normal. If I go Tainted Sorcerer I was planning on focusing on evocation and enchantment, if that'll help. I have 3 feats (I'm a human) that are open for the character. I'm using one of them for improved familiar in order to get an imp.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-29, 08:55 PM

Yeah, but you have to die to enter the class so that is a bit tough.