PDA

View Full Version : [Deity] The Frigid Bitch

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-29, 05:42 PM
Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya, the Frigid Bitch
(Sone-lay-ah-own-hee-lie-ow-yay-ta-oo-yah)
Lesser God (Lawful Evil)
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs38/300W/f/2008/354/0/a/Winter_Gem_by_ToxiCanvas.jpg

Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya teaches the way to remove one's self from all emotion, especially the hot-blooded ones, such as love, passion and fury. Only when one sees the world as sharp and clear as the edge of a snowflake can they truly be said to have achieved enlightenment.

This goddess claims to cure pain and suffering through this, for if one cannot feel they can no longer hurt. If you no longer hurt you are truly undefeatable. She lives by this rule, though she is still said to experience a hatred and anger so cold that it can barely be said to be an emotional state at all.

By the time the worshipers of the Frigid Bitch die their souls are colder than ice and harder than diamond. They are the most beautiful of jewels to Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya, and she literally works them into finery which she wears or displays, keeping her promise to her worshipers that she will give them a place of admiration in the afterlife. Those that look into the gem can see a cold flame flickering, displaying the life of the being from their eyes.

Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya is beauteous and desirable, even by the standards of the deities, and any and all would have her if they could, but none can spark within her the least desire. She remains aloof and cold to all things, and her only desire seems to be to turn the hearts of all creatures, men, beast and immortal to ice. She normally appears as a woman with a complexion paler than snow, and eyes so blue they glint with purple. Her lips are bloodless and the color of a freezing corpse's. A feathery mist surrounds her shoulders, hiding everything from the bust down. Her head is normally adorned in some fashion, each jewel she wears specially chosen. It may be anything from a fantastic collection of thousands on a necklace, or a single one set into her forehead.

Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya favorite weapon is the dagger.

Portfolio: Loss, loneliness, the forlorn, antipathy, ice and jewels

Domains: Cold, Law, Mind

Cleric Training: Clerics of the Frigid Bitch abandon all those they may have loved or had affection for to gain her notice. They meditate each day to rid themselves of all emotions, striving for a pure, logical chillness of spirit.

Quests: Clerics of the Frigid Bitch often will perform atrocities, all completely unemotional, in an attempt to bring others to hurt so badly they will seek peace, even if it means the complete freezing of their selves.

Prayers: None pray to Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya, for she does not wish or require their affection. She is a force to be worshiped, and they simply ask her for what is needed, and she gives it if it will further her goals.

Temples: Temples to the Frigid Bitch are merely there to convince others of their dedication to their deity's path. She in no way displays any appreciation for these structures, though secretly admires the gems and blue ice used in their construction, though not the effort.

Rites: Those who finally gain the notice, though never the favor, of the Frigid Bitch must in some way prove their extinguishing of emotions. Something they once held dear, or hated, or was emotionally attached to must be destroyed or ripped away from them in some fashion. Much of the time this is the willing deletion of their memories before they came into her service.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 05:45 PM
How in the world did you get that name?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-29, 05:48 PM
How in the world did you get that name?
By making the most infuriatingly unpronounceable one I could come up with. Seemed to fit her.

Cespenar
2009-11-29, 05:48 PM
Hah! I almost laughed out loud when I saw the title and what I now read proved no less. Great work.

The Bookworm
2009-11-29, 05:52 PM
I love this one, VT! I literally laughed out loud when I saw this as the most-recent homebrew thread. Do you have a collection of all your homebrew, not just monsters?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-29, 06:00 PM
By making the most infuriatingly unpronounceable one I could come up with. Seemed to fit her.
Sonlaya.

Or "Sonia" to her friends.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 06:07 PM
Portfolio: Loss, lonliness, the fornlorn, antipathy, ice and jewels

"Lonliness" should be "loneliness," and "fornlorn" should be "forlorn."

Prayers: None pray to Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya, for she does not wish or require their affection. She is a forced to be worshiped, and they simply ask her for what is needed, and she gives it if it will further her goals.

"She is a force to be worshiped?" I think that's what you meant. That last sentence is kind of unclear. Maybe you could get rid of one of the "and" words. Like..."She is a force to be worshiped. Those who do simply ask for what is needed, and she gives it if it will further her goals."

Much of the time this is the willing deletion of their memories before they came into her service.

Perhaps you meant "...before they come..."

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-29, 06:09 PM
"Lonliness" should be "loneliness," and "fornlorn" should be "forlorn."
"Solitude" is perhaps a better word for what this particular character is about.

"Loneliness" implies a sense of mortal attachment that doesn't fit into Sonia's brand of enlightenment.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 06:14 PM
"Solitude" is perhaps a better word for what this particular character is about.

"Loneliness" implies a sense of mortal attachment that doesn't fit into Sonia's brand of enlightenment.

That makes sense. :smallsmile: I agree.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-29, 06:21 PM
Sonlaya.

Or "Sonia" to her friends.
Or in other words, Sonlaya.

Perhaps you meant "...before they come..."
No, before they came. That is like the last rite before they fully become a cleric.

She preys upon the lonely however, so just added it to the portfolio.

DracoDei
2009-11-29, 06:35 PM
Is she Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-29, 06:36 PM
Is she Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil?
Lawful Evil. Should be there... apparently I somehow put the spellchecked and complete version in my Dying Ember campaign page and then put the unfinished here.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-29, 06:39 PM
Or in other words, Sonlaya.
Well now, adventurers are supposed to be impertinent in their defiance of the fates themselves. I aspire to an impudent familiarity which the Frigid Bitch may find unwelcome.

Sonia.

Temotei
2009-11-29, 06:40 PM
I like how, somehow, Sonia is more insulting than her title. Seriously.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-29, 06:42 PM
*grins*

Do you have a collection of all your homebrew, not just monsters?
Used to have one on the Wizards site but they went and deleted most of it. Will try to get one rounded up here someday.

Have a decent bit of homebrew in my A Dying Ember campaign in my signature.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-29, 06:44 PM
This is why such shorthand names are referred to as "diminutive."

Philosophers ought to philosophize with hammers. Or more precisely, our philosophical adventurer ought to take a prybar to the diamond eyes or what-have-you of the temple idol.

Latronis
2009-11-29, 09:14 PM
awesome

*yoink*

Mythestopheles
2009-11-29, 10:03 PM
Congratulations, Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya appears nowhere else in the internet.
Not that I'm suprised, with a name like that :smallbiggrin:

I like this, she is not prayed to, interesting. A nice contrast to the idea of people referencing Pelor say, every second word.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-29, 10:08 PM
Congratulations, Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya appears nowhere else in the internet.
Not that I'm suprised, with a name like that :smallbiggrin:

I like this, she is not prayed to, interesting. A nice contrast to the idea of people referencing Pelor say, every second word.
Well, it's praying in the sense in that you're begging supplication of a distant and inscrutable power which may be just as likely screw you over as not.

You know, the old-school kind of praying.

But just you wait until those liberal sectarian reformers get ahold of your Ice Queen religion. Liberties will be taken unless she's the kind of lady to punish anybody stepping out of prescribed formula.

"An icepick is not an acceptable favored weapon for your temple."

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-29, 11:15 PM
Oh, you screw her over you're but a flawed jewel to be cast aside.

Grey Watcher
2009-11-29, 11:17 PM
"Tu che di gel sei cinta,
Da tanta fiamma vinta,
L'amerai anche tu!"

I'm sorry, had to opera geek out there for a moment.

Excellent work, as usual! I wish I'd been keeping up more with the divine supplements in 4e. I might like to see her signature powers and such in that edition. :)

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-29, 11:23 PM
Oh, you screw her over you're but a flawed jewel to be cast aside.
I'm just saying. Some revisions of sects on a regional basis to target demographics appropriately might work better for spreading the Good Word.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-30, 10:09 AM
Excellent work, as usual! I wish I'd been keeping up more with the divine supplements in 4e. I might like to see her signature powers and such in that edition. :)
Heyas Grey, haven't seen you about of late! Should have guessed that title would attract admins though :smallwink:

I need to get into 4th ed someday and see what they've done with it. Gods get signature abilities beyond 'PHENOMENAL COSMIC POW-AHHH!' I take it?

Zen Monkey
2009-11-30, 10:26 AM
I prefer her shortened name as "Sonlaya" (soon lay 'ya) to emphasize the empty promise that will never come to be, yet keeps you worshipping her. I think this is also the goddess of ex-wives. That's why she has jewels in her profile, she wants to receive them while keeping yours frozen and in her purse.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-30, 10:44 AM
I prefer her shortened name as "Sonlaya" (soon lay 'ya) to emphasize the empty promise that will never come to be, yet keeps you worshipping her. I think this is also the goddess of ex-wives. That's why she has jewels in her profile, she wants to receive them while keeping yours frozen and in her purse.
BURN! :smallamused:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-30, 10:52 AM
There are women who, however you may search them, prove to have no content but are purely masks. The man who associates with such almost spectral, necessarily unsatisfied beings is to be commiserated with, yet it is precisely they who are able to arouse the desire of the man most strongly: he seeks for her soul -- and goes on seeking.

from Nietzsche's Human, all too Human, s.405, R.J. Hollingdale transl.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-30, 11:06 AM
There are women who, however you may search them, prove to have no content but are purely masks. The man who associates with such almost spectral, necessarily unsatisfied beings is to be commiserated with, yet it is precisely they who are able to arouse the desire of the man most strongly: he seeks for her soul -- and goes on seeking.

from Nietzsche's Human, all too Human, s.405, R.J. Hollingdale transl.
Wow... that is so... just wow.

Animato
2009-11-30, 11:45 AM
Can I steal it?
Just some hours ago I was thinking (showeling away from my courtyard literal mountains of snow :smallfurious:) about my campaign setting (conception in progress) and in particular about the Human Pantheon.
Your Frigid Bitch it's a perfect counterpart to my Vesta-Venere-Eros-Sune-alike goddess of Love, Passion, tamed Fire and Prostitution.
I was even going to have her called ''The Holy Bitch'' by a sect of her cult focalised on the less politically correct part of the faith
I will use the unspellable name only for the extreme-northern worshippers, because in my setting every god has many names and sects/churches throughout the world, but don't worry, it's a private homebrew that I'm doing only for me and an eventual group, no publishing and even no posting on the forums :smallsmile:
Yes I'm gelous of my works, but I hope you aren't.:smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-30, 11:52 AM
I don't mind my stuff being used in the least, (y'know, aside from being published under another name).

Only thing I ask for the use of my homebrew is to let me know how it is received/works out in your games or whatnot.

Debihuman
2009-11-30, 12:24 PM
Very cool [pun intended]. It is "beauteous" btw.

Debby

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-30, 12:25 PM
Very cool [pun intended]. It is "beauteous" btw.
Thought so, but that just looks so... wrong.

Animato
2009-11-30, 02:19 PM
Thank you :smallbiggrin:
Here's a little gift, an ambience refluffing of a monster as a follower of Miss Icy.

Frostfell, p.130: Frost Folk.
Substitute all the fluff with this:

''Frost Folks are a rare and dreadful seeing encountered almost exclusively in the most cold and isolated regions of the world.
Some speculate that they're a sub-race evolved from humans to live in the frost, some that they're the offspring of some kind of evil pact between powerfull ice entities or demons.
That's not the truth. Frost Folks basically are what a man can become by following the teachings of Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya, the Frigid Bitch, and failing.
When a man test his capablity of standing against the harsh environment of the cold lands it's easy for his pride to become the true driving force behind his heremitic experience, and when it appens Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya gives her loveless, frozen kiss to the offender, changing him forever.
Frost Folks serves Sonlayahonhilaiouyatauya as loyal pawns in the hope of gaining freedom from her curse or of gaining true enlightment, most of them not really knowing the meaning of they transformation: the perfection of the ice must be gloryfied in a cold soul, not in the body.''

Ok, it isn't so great and my English is at best passable, but now her icyness has minions :smallbiggrin:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-30, 04:33 PM
Thought so, but that just looks so... wrong.
Whatever. Seeing "beauticious" reminded me too much of "bootylicious."

So the effect was rather absurd. What's wrong with just saying "beautiful"? Is that not good enough for you? I mean, evidently not. You went and made up a word instead.

BenTheJester
2009-12-06, 10:57 PM
Shouldn't it she have the Apathy portfolio instead of antipathy?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 06:09 PM
So the effect was rather absurd. What's wrong with just saying "beautiful"? Is that not good enough for you? I mean, evidently not. You went and made up a word instead.
Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people...

Kiren
2010-01-17, 06:34 PM
Slightly reminds me of Epic Movie. Awesome work, and cool name for a deity.

Zexion
2010-01-17, 06:55 PM
I just had a campaign idea: What if "Sonia" killed that Norse ice god in the Deities & Demigods book, and absorbed their divine power, than killed all the other gods because she was twice as powerful, etc, etc, etc...

Temotei
2010-01-17, 10:24 PM
I just had a campaign idea: What if "Sonia" killed that Norse ice god in the Deities & Demigods book, and absorbed their divine power, than killed all the other gods because she was twice as powerful, etc, etc, etc...

Hooray for epic levels! :smallamused:

Zexion
2010-01-18, 01:46 PM
Hooray for epic levels! :smallamused:

You don't know what epic levels really are. I am currently playing an epic level campaign where the players are approximately level 660 right now. Did I mention that they have been gods for about ten thousand years in game terms? Oh, and the actual game has been going on for... fifty years.

Temotei
2010-01-18, 05:57 PM
You don't know what epic levels really are. I am currently playing an epic level campaign where the players are approximately level 660 right now. Did I mention that they have been gods for about ten thousand years in game terms? Oh, and the actual game has been going on for... fifty years.

:smalleek:

Seriously? Fifty years?

Zexion
2010-01-18, 08:32 PM
Not quite. That was... quite an exaggeration, if you are only counting D&D.
Since it came out... about 35 years, upgrading at every new version although we converted played. Before that, we played with basically the same characters in another, much older RPG... so it does total up to about 50

Temotei
2010-01-18, 09:05 PM
Not quite. That was... quite an exaggeration, if you are only counting D&D.
Since it came out... about 35 years, upgrading at every new version although we converted played. Before that, we played with basically the same characters in another, much older RPG... so it does total up to about 50

You're crazy. :smallbiggrin: That's my age...x3 - 1.

Zexion
2010-01-18, 10:20 PM
Yup... I'm an old-timer...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-14, 12:32 PM
Happy Valentines Day all :smalltongue:

Octopus Jack
2010-02-14, 12:58 PM
I love this Deity :smallbiggrin:
screw valentine's day, it's pancake time soon

Temotei
2010-02-14, 01:31 PM
Happy Valentines Day all :smalltongue:

I love your avatar. Happy Valentine's! :smallbiggrin:

Latronis
2010-02-14, 08:38 PM
is that a bra on your face?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-14, 08:46 PM
is that a bra on your face?
Yes. Yes it is.

Temotei
2010-02-15, 12:35 AM
Psh. Who needs a bra on their face? :smalltongue:

Just kidding. Or am I? Yeah. Mostly.

Zexion
2010-02-15, 11:05 PM
A man with a Sanity level in the negatives.