PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a druid

nocs
2009-11-30, 01:51 AM
Alright, please don't hate about not knowing how to play a druid or something, I'm kind of a newish player. I've only ever really played a
Drow Ranger that became a Werewolf and broken as hell (with help from our Shocking Grasp rules below).

Anyways in our 5-7th level good group we have two Fighter archers that pretty much just annihilate anything they see. What makes them broken is that for some reason our house rules allow Shocking Grasp to be cast upon arrows. I haven't played with any other group ever so I'm not exactly sure if this is as rare as I think it would be. Our house rules also state that Druids and Clerics don't have to prepare spells at all. For some reason I haven't seen anybody take advantage of this despite the 3-4 powergamers we have playing as they normally play Fighter or Wizard variants. This should obviously make them even more broken than they are considered already.

What I want to know is how exactly I could take advantage of house rules so I can get a word in edgewise in fights. My Monk died last week so I'm re-rolling into a Druid. I don't really know what makes a Druid so imbalanced other than Natural Spell, is that pretty much it? Any help would be appreciated. Also any other optimization ideas that would benefit from house rules would be interesting to hear as well. Thanks :*

Edit: Not sure if it could be inferred but we're playing 3.5. We allow any book stuff other than Eberron.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-30, 01:56 AM
Alright, please don't hate about not knowing how to play a druid or something, I'm kind of a newish player.
Your soul is mine!

Anyways in our 5-7th level good group we have two Fighter archers that pretty much just annihilate anything they see. What makes them broken is that for some reason our house rules allow Shocking Grasp to be cast upon arrows. I haven't played with any other group ever so I'm not exactly sure if this is as rare as I think it would be.
The Spell Storing weapon enhancement allows this to be done to weapons.

Our house rules also state that Druids and Clerics don't have to prepare spells at all.
Ok, this is stupid.

For some reason I haven't seen anybody take advantage of this despite the 3-4 powergamers we have playing as they normally play Fighter or Wizard variants. This should obviously make them even more broken than they are considered already.
Maybe your fellow players have a shred of human decency?

What I want to know is how exactly I could take advantage of house rules so I can get a word in edgewise in fights. My Monk died last week so I'm re-rolling into a Druid. I don't really know what makes a Druid so imbalanced other than Natural Spell, is that pretty much it? Any help would be appreciated. Also any other optimization ideas that would benefit from house rules would be interesting to hear as well. Thanks :*
Turn into a bear. Have your companion turn into a bear. Cast spells. Bite people's faces off. Profit.

Gralamin
2009-11-30, 01:58 AM
Alright, please don't hate about not knowing how to play a druid or something, I'm kind of a newish player. I've only ever really played a
Drow Ranger that became a Werewolf and broken as hell (with help from our Shocking Grasp rules below).

Anyways in our 5-7th level good group we have two Fighter archers that pretty much just annihilate anything they see. What makes them broken is that for some reason our house rules allow Shocking Grasp to be cast upon arrows. I haven't played with any other group ever so I'm not exactly sure if this is as rare as I think it would be. Our house rules also state that Druids and Clerics don't have to prepare spells at all. For some reason I haven't seen anybody take advantage of this despite the 3-4 powergamers we have playing as they normally play Fighter or Wizard variants. This should obviously make them even more broken than they are considered already.

Edit: Not sure if it could be inferred but we're playing 3.5. We allow any book stuff other than Eberron.

Well, you have a bunch of things available to you.
The number one cheesiest, at this level, is to grab a Fleshraker companion (MM3, I think), and the Venomfire spell (I want to say same book as Sarrauhk).
Next up is just turning into the strongest forms you can find, and using whatever spell is appropriate for the situation from your huge spell list. When in doubt, Entangle.

Myrmex
2009-11-30, 02:01 AM
Make wisdom and con your highest stats, followed by dex. You won't need much strength when you can be a bear all day.

At levels below 6, hang back with a sling, bow, or long spear and hurt things, while using your spells to hurt the enemy. Entangle is a pretty cool spell. Summoning monsters can also be quite useful.

Pick up the Natural Bond feat, and get a badass animal companion like a dinosaur.

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-30, 02:01 AM
You don't need to optimize druid at all for it to be broken. It gets wild shape, which is a giantly awesome ability by itself, coupled with a full caster progression which makes it more broken. You might be having problems with picking spells and that may be what makes casters look so much less broken to you. But honestly, at 5-7th level, you can just spam summon nature's ally if you want and you'll still be doing better than someone playing a fighter with all his feats and magic items.

Myrmex
2009-11-30, 02:02 AM
You don't need to optimize druid at all for it to be broken. It gets wild shape, which is a giantly awesome ability by itself, coupled with a full caster progression which makes it more broken. You might be having problems with picking spells and that may be what makes casters look so much less broken to you. But honestly, at 5-7th level, you can just spam summon nature's ally if you want and you'll still be doing better than someone playing a fighter with all his feats and magic items.

He can spontaneously cast his whole list, so it's not like he's ever going to be locked down doing one thing.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-30, 02:52 AM
Well, you have a bunch of things available to you.
The number one cheesiest, at this level, is to grab a Fleshraker companion (MM3, I think), and the Venomfire spell (I want to say same book as Sarrauhk).

S-S-SERPENT KINGDOMS

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-30, 02:52 AM
He can spontaneously cast his whole list, so it's not like he's ever going to be locked down doing one thing.

I know, but if he wanted to, he could just use the one spell and he'd be set.

nocs
2009-11-30, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses so far.

The Spell Storing weapon enhancement allows this to be done to weapons.

They just use it on normal arrows shot with normal bows and add 5d6 every attack as long as they have a Wizard to buy Shocking Grasp from :/

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-30, 04:28 AM
Thanks for all the responses so far.

They just use it on normal arrows shot with normal bows and add 5d6 every attack as long as they have a Wizard to buy Shocking Grasp from :/

Well, then, that's easy. Your DM isn't using resources. He's giving players what they want.

I.E. Even with that, concealment via fog, darkness, or the like limits Ranged attacks. Electrical resistances compound that. Spells to stop ranged attacks do more.

But in this case, your group has damage covered. Don't do what they do. It's redundant. It's not a damage race.

Entangle. Summon. Use minions, spell effects, and yourself/animal companion... to tie the foe up, while the fighters do what they do. As you progress, wait until you get Control Wind. Get your CL up, and create a tornado around you. That's when you'll be able to giggle at little bows and arrows.

nocs
2009-11-30, 04:41 AM
Yeah, I should add that humanoid opponents that we face usually have some sort of arrow defense to stop us from wiping them up in one round. We also fight the occasional archer brigade atop a castle or something which can add a degree of difficulty.