PDA

View Full Version : Roy's Bag of Tricks?

FireDrake
2009-11-30, 02:52 AM
Did I miss Roy restocking or buying a new Bag of Tricks? Because I'd swear he said it ran out in #443.

BTW this is in reference to #692.

Teddy
2009-11-30, 03:19 AM
You can only draw up to ten animals per week out of the bag, but it replenishes itself each week.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-30, 06:28 AM
You can only draw up to ten animals per week out of the bag, but it replenishes itself each week.

Yeah, it's true.

thubby
2009-11-30, 07:16 AM
and doesn't he have like 5 of them?

Le Piaf
2009-11-30, 07:18 AM
i came here to ask exacly this. thanks for the explanation.

factotum
2009-11-30, 07:19 AM
and doesn't he have like 5 of them?

No, he doesn't--what gave you that impression? He got the Bag of Tricks from the loot left after Dorukan's Dungeon. You're thinking of Haley, who has five Bags of Holding.

thubby
2009-11-30, 07:22 AM
No, he doesn't--what gave you that impression? He got the Bag of Tricks from the loot left after Dorukan's Dungeon. You're thinking of Haley, who has five Bags of Holding.

i could be wrong, but i seem to recall him complaining about getting another bag of tricks (with the implication being he already had 1)

or i could be confusing it with haley's bags. *shruggs*

HotAndCold
2009-11-30, 07:44 AM
i could be wrong, but i seem to recall him complaining about getting another bag of tricks (with the implication being he already had 1)

or i could be confusing it with haley's bags. *shruggs*

There was an implication that he'd gotten one on an earlier adventure, but, presumably, he sold it, since it was so useless to him.

Darius1020
2009-11-30, 10:06 AM
Wait, is the bag of tricks is an actual official D&D item?

I thought it was just a joke bad magic item...

Fernando_
2009-11-30, 10:07 AM
Yup, it exists officially

Memplejemple
2009-11-30, 10:13 AM
Its not a joke bag magic item.

Let's say you fail your move silently check but make your hide check. You toss a critter from the bag, and voila, you (probably) foil your pursuers.

Great against dire animals, too. I deployed a critter while on board a ship being pursued by an enormous dire shark. It bought us a round while the shark consumed it.

Also good for popping traps. It continues to be useful at higher levels.

Teddy
2009-11-30, 10:18 AM
Which just gives more reason for that joke. Now, as Roy has proven, there is no thing as a useless magic item if you're creative - including cursed ones (traps). And even if it might be tricky to find a good use for the examples in the bonus material, with enough creativity, it will work.

thubby
2009-11-30, 10:23 AM
you can always check the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/) if you ever wonder about some game effect. it covers most of what the giant puts in his comics.

Cleverdan22
2009-12-01, 01:46 AM
There was an implication that he'd gotten one on an earlier adventure, but, presumably, he sold it, since it was so useless to him.

His lines were "Crap." When he responded to going last in the draw. "Again--crap," was his response to getting the Bag of Tricks, and his next line past the first one I put up. He was just saying crap again. I don't think he has ever owned more than one bag of tricks.

Herald Alberich
2009-12-01, 02:20 AM
His lines were "Crap." When he responded to going last in the draw. "Again--crap," was his response to getting the Bag of Tricks, and his next line past the first one I put up. He was just saying crap again. I don't think he has ever owned more than one bag of tricks.

One of the things I like about this story is how even three words can imply bad experiences in the past. He might not have owned one himself (his father was an adventuring wizard after all), but he's certainly seen one in (non) action before. If he didn't have any experience with how useless it was (the fact that he later found uses for it notwithstanding), he wouldn't be so annoyed at getting stuck with it.

Cleverdan22
2009-12-01, 11:08 PM
One of the things I like about this story is how even three words can imply bad experiences in the past. He might not have owned one himself (his father was an adventuring wizard after all), but he's certainly seen one in (non) action before. If he didn't have any experience with how useless it was (the fact that he later found uses for it notwithstanding), he wouldn't be so annoyed at getting stuck with it.

True, but he does have an MBA. He may have taken at least one course dealing with magic items at some time or another. :smalltongue:

Haven
2009-12-01, 11:38 PM

I hadn't even thought there could be another interpretation besides this.

Morquard
2009-12-02, 06:21 AM
True, but he does have an MBA. He may have taken at least one course dealing with magic items at some time or another. :smalltongue:
Roy has demonstrated before that he got a few Ranks in Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcane).
Which isn't surprising, considering who his father was, and that he wanted Roy to be a wizard too. He's probably been training him doing some basic stuff, before Roy said "Screw this, I'll be a single class fighter like Grandpa!"

So yeah, he probably saw a Bag of Tricks before, or at least knows what it does.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-03, 07:50 PM
Given that the bag of tricks is a standard item that's been part of D&D for ages, one doesn't need to even have in-character experience or ranks. It would be one of those things that you have a chance to know about from the bits of game world knowledge all characters have.

Atronach
2009-12-05, 09:26 AM
The item is not in second edition dungeons and dragons, and I am surprised no one just linked to the strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html)

Adeptus
2009-12-05, 10:06 AM
Of course it doesn't work exactly* as in the D&D rules, but that is all for the best. The overly rigid and literal D&D rules would just slow the Giant down.

*Looks like on can only have one critter out at a time. Roy can keep popping them until the bag is empty, and the list of possible critters seems much more unpredictable.

Doomboy911
2009-12-05, 10:50 PM
Wait so this is an actual item in the game?.

factotum
2009-12-06, 01:54 AM
The thread is only a page long and people are ALREADY re-asking questions that have already been asked and answered in it? :smallfurious:

KillerQueen
2009-12-06, 02:37 AM
the list of possible critters seems much more unpredictable.

I was wondering about that. I think Roy has some epic bag of tricks, since apparently it can summon anything from a rat to a rhino.

Teddy
2009-12-06, 07:19 AM
I was wondering about that. I think Roy has some epic bag of tricks, since apparently it can summon anything from a rat to a rhino.

The title of comic #167 adresses the color scheme of the bag of tricks, where the most potent one is tan and the least potent one is gray. Roy's bag is tan, but it's still only producing very small animals. Now, don't question the color of the bag because then it will produce a rhino in your face.

spargel
2009-12-06, 10:11 AM
The item is not in second edition dungeons and dragons, and I am surprised no one just linked to the strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html)

Offtopic, but isn't that the only time V's called Roy by his first name?

the_tick_rules
2009-12-06, 04:08 PM
Is it? I hadn't noticed.

fangthane
2009-12-06, 04:22 PM
{Scrubbed}

Nimrod's Son
2009-12-06, 10:17 PM
Offtopic, but isn't that the only time V's called Roy by his first name?
Y'know, I never noticed that, but I think you may be right. It's been "Sir Greenhilt" every other time I can think of.