PDA

View Full Version : Attack Bonus Feats

Temotei
2009-11-30, 02:52 AM
First of all, hey. Thanks for helping in advance. I appreciate all you guys and gals have to offer.

Now...what feats can increase attack bonuses, whether situational or general? Right now, I'm thinking Weapon Focus, Deft Opportunist, and a few others, but I'd like to see all of the things you can come up with.

Oh, and no spell attack roll increases if that's all the feat does. I want weapon attack roll increases.

All sources are allowed, except magazines. Don't go into epic, and stay out of class features.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-30, 03:13 AM
Small size gives you +1 to attack rolls and AC.

Increasing your Str or Dex score increases your bonus to hit.

Making sure not to multiclass into something that loses out on BAB is probably a good idea, unless it's really worth it.

Weapon enhancement bonuses can help out, but it's better/cheaper to get someone to cast Greater Magic Weapon on it regularly. There's also the Illithidwrought weapon property found in Underdark, which grants an additional luck bonus on attack and damage rolls, +2 for psionic characters or +1 for anyone else. You can get +1 Illithidwrought armor spikes and add this luck bonus on all of your attack and damage rolls regardless of whether you're attacking with the armor spikes, due to its wording.

Charging gives you a +2 to hit.

The feat Reckless Offense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#recklessOffense) (XPH general feat) gives you an additional +2 to hit, in exchange for -4 AC.

Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) gets an ability called Dexterous Attack at the 3rd level, which you can use to trade damage for attack bonus. It also grants your chosen weapon an additional enhancement bonus above and beyond what it already has, so for example with four levels in the class a normally +5 weapon would become a +7 weapon, which mostly just makes up for the loss of BAB.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but there are many, many more ways to increase your attack bonus.

SparkMandriller
2009-11-30, 03:16 AM
Totally worth taking, honest. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicProwess)

Temotei
2009-11-30, 03:22 AM
Thank you. That Reckless Offense feat is especially helpful to me. Normally, I would totally take that arcane duelist up to 3rd level just for that ability, but since I'll be in a campaign with the generic class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5155806), we won't be multiclassing or getting prestige classes. Also, try to keep out of epic, please. I appreciate you giving the suggestion, though. :smallsmile:

Gpope
2009-11-30, 03:30 AM
Shape Soulmeld has some options. Lucky Dice gives +1 luck bonus to attack rolls, Bloodwar Gauntlets is +1 morale bonus to attack rolls (might be melee only, I forget). If you're Lawful or Chaotic Neutral, Incarnate Avatar gives you a scaling insight bonus but only if you have a source of essentia.

Vexing Flanker from PHB II increases the flanking bonus to +4.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-30, 03:30 AM
Martial Study can give you access to maneuvers that grant bonuses to hit.

infinitypanda
2009-11-30, 03:44 AM
Also, try to keep out of epic, please. I appreciate you giving the suggestion, though. :smallsmile:

He was being a tad silly. That feat is beyond terrible.

Alcopop
2009-11-30, 03:48 AM
Law Devotion from the complete champion is godly, one of my favorite feats.

+3 to hit
+5 at 10th
+7 at 15th

stunning with power attack. Using it on my current lvl 11 palidan and i'm out damaging the 38 str bear warrior.

Chaos devotion is also okay, but law devotion outshines it at later levels.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-30, 03:50 AM

+3 to hit
+5 at 10th
+7 at 15th

stunning with power attack. Using it on my current lvl 11 palidan and i'm out damaging the 38 str bear warrior.

Chaos devotion is also okay, but law devotion outshines it at later levels.

Meh. It's once a day, without class features. A bit situational.

Temotei
2009-11-30, 03:54 AM
He was being a tad silly. That feat is beyond terrible.

Agreed. But at least it was a suggestion. :smalltongue: Hehe.

Keep them coming, people! :smallbiggrin:

Alcopop
2009-11-30, 04:47 AM
Meh. It's once a day, without class features. A bit situational.

meh? MEH?!

but yeah I guess.

so it's not for every class, but turning is common enough for it to be worth mentioning.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-30, 04:55 AM
meh? MEH?!

but yeah I guess.

so it's not for every class, but turning is common enough for it to be worth mentioning.

All sources are allowed, except magazines. Don't go into epic, and stay out of class features.

Emphasis mine. OP is running a generic class. It makes law devotion... less than stellar, for day-to-day adventuring.

Temotei
2009-11-30, 05:42 AM
Nonetheless, the suggestion is appreciated. So far, just so you know, Reckless Offense and Vexing Flanker are the ones that are working the most for this build. Anything that increases attack bonuses, without relying on class abilities or going into epic levels is game. Oh, and items. Try to avoid items, unless a feat grants them or the ability to make them, and it's worth a feat. Law Devotion is interesting, but 1/day isn't enough for this build. I'm looking for some solid bonuses, or just simple increases.

Prime32
2009-11-30, 05:47 AM

+3 to hit
+5 at 10th
+7 at 15th

Chaos devotion is also okay, but law devotion outshines it at later levels.Knowledge Devotion is much better. Automatic +1 attack/damage at all times, up to +5 if you have enough ranks in the right Knowledge skills. There's been no reason to take Weapon Focus since it came out other than prereqs.

Typically you'd take one level of cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), trading the power of your bonus Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion, and take the EducatedECS feat to make all Knowledge skills class skills for all classes. Your other domain choices will be Travel (using Travel Devotion for extra move actions) and something which grants Extra Turning (such as the Undeath domain).

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773.0

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-30, 05:49 AM
Knowledge Devotion is much better. Automatic +1 attack/damage at all times, up to +5 if you have enough ranks in the right Knowledge skills. There's been no reason to take Weapon Focus since it came out other than prereqs.

Typically you'd take one level of cloistered cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), trading the power of your bonus Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion, and take the EducatedECS feat to make all Knowledge skills class skills for all classes. Your other domain choices will be Travel (using Travel Devotion for extra move actions) and something which grants Extra Turning.

Indeed, for someone with an acceptable int score, Knowledge devotion is crazy good... Specially if all knowledge skills are considered class skills.

Prime32
2009-11-30, 05:51 AM
Indeed, for someone with an acceptable int score, Knowledge devotion is crazy good... Specially if all knowledge skills are considered class skills.And with one level of cleric (the easiest way to get it) you get turn undead, which qualifies for Divine feats that can boost your power further.

Temotei
2009-11-30, 05:58 AM
And with one level of cleric (the easiest way to get it) you get turn undead, which qualifies for Divine feats that can boost your power further.

I'll consider taking it. The problem is that I'm using Baron Corm's generic class, as said in an above post, so I can't multiclass into cleric, and I have a limited amount of skills, so Knowledge wasn't one of my top priorities. It's good, though. I agree on that.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-30, 06:08 AM
I'll consider taking it. The problem is that I'm using Baron Corm's generic class, as said in an above post, so I can't multiclass into cleric, and I have a limited amount of skills, so Knowledge wasn't one of my top priorities. It's good, though. I agree on that.

Pretty much, at minimum, it's +1. That's on par with weapon focus. If you have only a few, pick:

Religion
Arcana
Local
The Planes
Dungeoneering

Pretty much in that order. Religion handles undead, and the powerful planar servants of gods (demons, devils, archons, etc). Arcana handles the exotics - Dragons and such. Magical beasts, dragons, etc. Local handles humanoids of all flavors.
The Planes handles your planar entities.
Dungeoneering handles aberrations, oozes, that stuff.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-30, 06:57 AM
Not a feat but it requires feats and in three levels will more than best the feats you could have taken instead (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a)

Hint: Power Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#powerAttack) is pretty cool I hear.

Temotei
2009-11-30, 09:55 AM
Hint: Power Attack is pretty cool I hear.

increase attack bonuses

Not a feat but it requires feats and in three levels will more than best the feats you could have taken instead

I'll edit my main post to say I can't have class features.

EDIT: Never mind! Apparently, it already does!

Aside from those issues...thanks for taking the time to post at least. :smallsmile:

ex cathedra
2009-11-30, 10:05 AM
I'll edit my main post to say I can't have class features.

EDIT: Never mind! Apparently, it already does!

Aside from those issues...thanks for taking the time to post at least. :smallsmile:

I think the point was that Dexterous Attack lets you increase AB to an arbitrary level at by sacrificing damage at a 1:1 level. He then pointed out the fact that Power Attack normally increases damage by reducing attack, but power attack has a usefully different conversion ratio, all things considered; for example, Dexterous Attack for 11 and Power Attack for 11; just by using a two-handed weapon, you get a free 11 damage per hit. Then consider leap attack and similar feats; not to mention Shock Trooper fun.

But, yes, it doesn't suit your needs. I'll second Knowledge and Law Devotion. Perhaps suit your B/C/D abilities to it? Several of them are quite useful for this.

Temotei
2009-11-30, 10:14 AM
I think the point was that Dexterous Attack lets you increase AB to an arbitrary level at by sacrificing damage at a 1:1 level. He then pointed out the fact that Power Attack normally increases damage by reducing attack, but power attack has a usefully different conversion ratio, all things considered; for example, Dexterous Attack for 11 and Power Attack for 11; just by using a two-handed weapon, you get a free 11 damage per hit. Then consider leap attack and similar feats; not to mention Shock Trooper fun.

Indeed. Quite a useful hint. :smallamused:

But, yes, it doesn't suit your needs. I'll second Knowledge and Law Devotion. Perhaps suit your B/C/D abilities to it? Several of them are quite useful for this.

Done. :smallsmile:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-30, 10:26 AM
Weapon Finesse?

ex cathedra
2009-11-30, 10:34 AM
Weapon Finesse?

Alternatively, Intuitive Attack, Charming the Arrow, and Zen Archery.

Also, I'm going to thoroughly suggest against Deft Opportunist, even if you are going for the instant kill (which I'm assuming is why you're dumpster diving for obscure AB increasers). It's not worth it in many ways.

Improved Trip? Prone opponents grant a +4 to your AB.

Person_Man
2009-11-30, 11:45 AM
X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). Here is the To-Hit section:

To-Hit
{table=head]Attribute | Name | Type | Book |
Page # |
Edition | Bonus | Notes
Strength | Brutal Throw | Feat | Complete Adventurer |
106 |
3.5 | To-Hit | thrown weapons, replaces Dex
Dexterity | Weapon Finesse | Feat | PHB |
102 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Replaces Str, limited weapons
Dexterity | Fey-craft | Equipment | DMGII |
275 |
Dexterity | Companion Guard Style | Feat | Dragon #315 |
? |
3.5 | To-Hit | -
Intelligence | Eternal Blade 1 | PrC | Tome of Battle |
110 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Against 1 creature type
Intelligence | Whirling Blade | Spell | Spell Compendium |
238 |
3.5 | To-Hit | -
Intelligence | Factotum 1 | Class | Dungeonscape |
14 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Requires Insp. Point
Intelligence | Control Body | Power | Expanded Psionics Handbook |
86 |
3.5 | To-Hit | of Dominated foe
Intelligence | Thunder Lance | Spell | Spell Compendium |
220 |
3.5 | To-Hit | with spell's lance only
Intelligence | Warblade 3 | Class | Tome of Battle |
22 |
3.5 | Critical Confirmation Rolls | -
Constitution | Mineral Warrior (+1LA) | Template | Underdark |
96 |
3.5 | To-Hit | 1/day
Wisdom | Ordained Champion 5 | PrC | Complete Champion |
91 |
3.5 | To-Hit | replaces Str, uses Turn attempts
Wisdom | Shiba Protector 1 | PrC | Oriental Adventures |
222 |
3.0 | To-Hit | -
Wisdom | Intuitive Strike | | BoED |
44 |
Wisdom | Serenity | | Dragon Mag #306, Drag Comp |
106 |
3.5 | To-Hit | On Smite Evil, limited uses, replaces Wis for Cha for all Paladin Abilities
Wisdom | Zen Archery | | Complete Warrior |
106 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Ranged, replaces Dex
Wisdom | Watery Death | Domain | Player's Guide to Faerun |
92 |
3.5 | To-Hit | On Smite, limited use, aquatic creatures only.
Charisma | Killoren (Destroyer Aspect) | Race | Races of the Wild |
102 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Limited Smite 1/hour
Charisma | Blackguard 2 | PrC | DMG |
182 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Smite Good, limited use per day
Charisma | Chameleon 3 | PrC | Races of Destiny |
112 |
3.5 | To-Hit | 1/day per 2 lvls
Charisma | Paladin 1 | Class | PHB |
42 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Smite Evil, limited times per day
Charisma | Tomb Warden 3 | PrC | Libris Mortis |
58 |
3.5 | To-Hit | 10 min/day
Charisma | Avenging Strike | Feat | Tome of Battle |
28 |
3.5 | To-Hit | vs evil outsiders, 1/day/cha bonus
Charisma | Battledance | Epic Feat | Dragon #297 |
28 |
3.0 | To-Hit | -
Charisma | Charming the Arrow | Feat | Online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) |
NA |
3.5 | To-Hit | with bow/crossbow, replaces Dex
Charisma | Smite Fiery Foe | Feat | Frostburn |
50 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Smite Fire subtype, limited uses
Charisma | Snowflake Wardance | Feat | Frostburn |
50 |
3.5 | To-Hit | requires Bard music
Charisma | Bow of Song | Equipment | Magic Item Comp |
48 |
3.5 | To-Hit | requires Bard music
Charisma | Slippers of Battledancing | Equipment | DMGII |
272 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Limitations
Charisma | Soulborn 1 | Class | Magic of Incarnum |
25 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Smite Opposition, limited times per day
Charisma | Thunder Lance | Spell | Spell Compendium |
220 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Uses primary caster statistic
Charisma | Whirling Blade | Spell | Spell Compendium |
238 |
3.5 | To-Hit | Uses primary caster statistic
[/table]

No one has mentioned the Inlindl School feat: You can sacrifice your shield bonus to AC to gain 1/2 that bonus To-Hit with any light or Weapon Finesse-able weapon. While this may not sound like much, keep in mind that with enhancements, Magic Vestment, Shield Specialization, Divine Shield, Knight bonuses, etc, it's not that hard to get a +10 or higher shield bonus, which means that you can easily get a +5 or higher untyped bonus to hit for minimal investment. Also note that you could use a heavy shield and a Gnome Battle Cloak (or just a heavy shield in each hand, or one or two animated shields, etc) and only sacrifice the shield bonus from one, while keeping the bonuses from the second shield. Requires Combat Expertise, Shield Proficiency, and Weapon Finesse. Drow of the Underdark pg 56.

I'd also add that a much more efficient way to ensure that you will hit is to have a method of getting Touch Attacks (Wand of Flame Blade, Fire Lash, Master Thrower, Spectral Weapon, Wraithstrike) and/or deny your enemy his Dexterity bonus to AC (Greater Invisibility, Ring of Blinking + Pierce Magical Concealment, Skill Tricks).