PDA

View Full Version : Place your bets for Strip 700

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-30, 02:52 AM
I'm putting 10gp it's when Girard finally decides to show.

Liwen
2009-11-30, 03:01 AM
Xykon shows up saying 'what's up dudes? Did you found the gate for me already?'

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-11-30, 03:33 AM
lets see... 692 and they are still looking... still no word from xyrkon... girard almost seems too likely... 3/3 '00th isues are rather anti climactic, so there is a 50% that it will be mundane.

i think that 700 will find our heroes in the "gate" with xyrkon on the way. i am going to place my bet on belkars "on"timely end.

the oracle said he would draw his last breath by the end of the year, does that mean our year or their year... given the holidays and that Rich takes a break, that would put 700 around the end of our year... so that is my bet.

15gp, any takers?

Herald Alberich
2009-11-30, 03:38 AM
the oracle said he would draw his last breath by the end of the year, does that mean our year or their year

"That's an 'in-comic' year, not a real-time year, Oracle fans!" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html)

This quote falls directly after the line you allude to, I might point out.

edit: And since that strip was posted in 2008, if it was a real-time year, Belkar would be long dead.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-11-30, 04:18 AM
ok i guess thats what i get for going off of memory... but noone is to say that the two cant coincide.

Morquard
2009-11-30, 08:28 AM
Remember the 666 hysteria?

I bet 10 gp the following happens in 700: absolutely, totally nothing.

maybe 10 panels of utter darkness? :)

theinsulabot
2009-11-30, 08:34 AM
:durkon: so much for something big on the 700th strip

:roy: how many times have we done that gag

:belkar:how many times have we done that gag

:belkar:jinx! now get me a coke loser!

then roy finally snaps and kills belkar, so belkar dying on strip 700 is the big breakthrough all along

Setra
2009-11-30, 09:36 AM
My guess is, they find the gate.. Already destroyed! ... Or not

Turkish Delight
2009-11-30, 09:55 AM
Odds are good something of interest will actually happen this time. They've already done the 'and I bet everyone was expecting something big would happen at 100/600' joke twice (umm...at 100 and 600, respectively); the other divisible-by-one-hundreds have all had an effect on the main plot, or at the very least been frickin' huge (looking at 500 again).

Turkish Delight
2009-11-30, 09:59 AM
My guess: the Order discovers the entire world they've lived in since birth is merely an really, really epic illusion used by Girard to hide the gate.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-11-30, 10:01 AM
they'll probably find girard fighting xykon dbz style
hope o-chull will be there, he was born to kamehameha

ChrisFortyTwo
2009-11-30, 10:21 AM
My guess: the Order discovers the entire world they've lived in since birth is merely an really, really epic illusion used by Girard to hide the gate.

Ooh, maybe they find out that the position of the Sun/moon/stars is deflected by an epic illusion, which means Roy et al is simply in the wrong place. 200 miles away, Girard is laughing at the morons who got directions from Soon.

Actually, that would be a freakin' awesome illusion, and a really good way to lose a gate. It also would be cool if neither Xykon nor Roy find the gate, but are simply "within 1000 feet" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html) of said gate.

ChrisFortyTwo
2009-11-30, 10:24 AM
I take it back...my bet is that we switch back to Xykon and 700 is Redcloak's epiphany due to his loss of depth perception (and related matters).

Deepkicker
2009-11-30, 11:03 AM
Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago when people were discussing Strip 600 possibilities. Where does the time go?

Anyway, I'd like to see No. 700 give us an unexpected cutaway to our old friends the Linear Guild.

Linkavitch
2009-11-30, 11:08 AM
10gp says we'll have an awesome blow-up poster worthy shot of them standing in front of the gate.

Red XIV
2009-11-30, 11:08 AM
I bet 10 gp the following happens in 700: absolutely, totally nothing.
Rich did the "LOL, nothing special this time" gag in 600. I doubt he'll repeat it for 700. Most of the hundreds have been reasonably significant.

k_bukie
2009-11-30, 11:30 AM
Belkar will reveal himself to be Girard.

ChrisFortyTwo
2009-11-30, 11:32 AM

Wow. Just wow.

Somewhere
2009-11-30, 11:34 AM
It'll be 4 panels, tiled vertically

Panel 1: O-chul staring....but not at you the reader, no. It is O-chul staring through you, right at your very soul.
Panel 2: Repeat panel 1, but possibly with one eye raised and the other lowered, as if staring at you quizically.
Panel 3: You are then introduced to...a FIST OUTTA O-CHUL'S BEARD
Panel 4: Full of static, but yet a broken screen at the same time. Oh dear, we're gonna need to replace our monitors.

Or, it'll be quite :thog:tastic

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-30, 11:47 AM
Something important/dramatic/dangerous happens, and the final panel is:

:roy: At least we didn't make another joke about nothing happening.

Ichneumon
2009-11-30, 12:17 PM

That would actually be the best thing that could be done.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-30, 12:39 PM
*clicks watch* damn, thought this would have happened sooner.

fine.. Girard pops out of the dessert saying "for crying out loud.. just ring the doorbell

Berserk Monk
2009-11-30, 12:42 PM
Miko finally arrives after pursuing the Order for dozens of strips while Xykon and his army of hobogoblins heads for Azure city and Elan and Haley share their first mouth-to-mouth kiss during Kasumi's and Daigo's wedding and Haley says he thought they'd do something special for this comic and Roy points out they already made that joke and eats jambalya.

drengnikrafe
2009-11-30, 01:15 PM
Something important involving Durkon. Really, he needs some new character development.

Morquard
2009-11-30, 01:55 PM
Rich did the "LOL, nothing special this time" gag in 600. I doubt he'll repeat it for 700. Most of the hundreds have been reasonably significant.
I'm not saying he'll do that joke again, but will just not mention 700 at all.
Remember how everyone wondered what evil and demonic things will happen in #666 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html)? And then its "just" roy and haley talking without anything at all related to 666? It wasn't even Roy's resurrection, that was at 665...

Maybe he'll let them find the gate at 699 and 700 is just anohter strip.

ChrisFortyTwo
2009-11-30, 02:12 PM
I'm not saying he'll do that joke again, but will just not mention 700 at all.
Remember how everyone wondered what evil and demonic things will happen in #666 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html)? And then its "just" roy and haley talking without anything at all related to 666? It wasn't even Roy's resurrection, that was at 665...

Maybe he'll let them find the gate at 699 and 700 is just anohter strip.

True, but 666 isn't a big number with lots of zeros, it's a number built off religion and superstition. Rich isn't really one to make a lot of religious jokes, and out-of-context superstition isn't as important as the driving storyline. I mean, if timed closer, V's "deal" happening at 666 would have been kind of cool, but that would have meant dragging out a lot of other things, and I don't think that would have been appropriate.

Roy's resurrection could have happened at 666, but the strips leading up to it would have suffered by an extra pause (unless it was an intermission done deliberately, and even that would have been a little underwhelming).

I honestly don't think the Giant cares about the numbers that much, other than to make the X00s (and to a lesser extend the X50s) somewhat special, if there's even something there to start/finish. I guess we'll see in the comments of DStP.

theinsulabot
2009-11-30, 02:42 PM

brilliant. then belkar permanent leaves the world and "the halfling" does not get another birthday cake.

(do not take me seriously folks)

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-30, 07:06 PM

This. Just this.

Zanaril
2009-11-30, 07:08 PM
Nothing happens, then...
Roy kicks out at a rock or something, and with appropriate dramatic ground-shaking, a door appears. A very rumbleworthy door.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-30, 07:15 PM
We cut to Xykon finding his phylactery- Then setting out for Girard's gate.

DBJack
2009-11-30, 07:26 PM
The IFCC claims V's soul when Mr. Scruffy turns out to be Girard in disguise and Girard reveals himself to be Haley's father while Haley's mother, Tiamat, teleports the Linear Guild in to fight controlled V and O-Chul riding on top of the revealed MiTD jumps in and throws Xykon's phylactery into the gate, but the IFCC controlled Miko-turned-Blackguard catches the phylactery and uses it to kill Belkar and Durkon. Celia flies in carrying Julio Scoundrel and breaks up with Roy while Therkla appears as an illusion and tells Elan that Girard is also his father, Lord Tyranyr. Thog falls in love with the Therkla illusion while Miko is killed by O-Chul. Then Xykon flies in and is consumed by the snarl.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-30, 07:30 PM
Nothing happens, then...
Roy kicks out at a rock or something, and with appropriate dramatic ground-shaking, a door appears. A very rumbleworthy door.

I can see that...

:roy: You'd think we'd have had better luck... I mean, it's the 700th comic! Looks like this is another comic we'll just have to *rumble* make another lame... *rumble* joke about nothing... *RUMBLERUMBLE* happening... *RUMBLERUMBLE*
Then a giant door appear, ornately decorated.

DBJack
2009-11-30, 07:38 PM
I can see that...

:roy: You'd think we'd have had better luck... I mean, it's the 700th comic! Looks like this is another comic we'll just have to *rumble* make another lame... *rumble* joke about nothing... *RUMBLERUMBLE* happening... *RUMBLERUMBLE*

That'd be awesome, but I'd rather have it sooner than have to endure 7 pages of filler to get to that.

Next strip, either they're gonna get distracted by the appearance of, say, the Linear Guild or say a plot hook leading to Haley's father, or they're gonna get dungeon access.

Sewblon
2009-11-30, 07:40 PM
Belkar will finally kill all the inhabitants of his village in their sleep, and go all the way with Vaarsuvius, so that he can die with no regrets and become the one true God of War.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-30, 08:00 PM
That'd be awesome, but I'd rather have it sooner than have to endure 7 pages of filler to get to that.

Next strip, either they're gonna get distracted by the appearance of, say, the Linear Guild or say a plot hook leading to Haley's father, or they're gonna get dungeon access.

Or the next 7 strips are the Linear Guild or Team Evil instead of filler.

SPoD
2009-11-30, 08:20 PM
Nothing unusual happens. In fact, that's my bet for #800 and #900 as well.

ThePhantasm
2009-11-30, 09:59 PM
I'm going to guess that by strip 700 the Order will have met with Girard already, and perhaps in strip 700 we switch scenes to the Linear Guild or to Xykon?

Maximum Zersk
2009-11-30, 10:06 PM
If I am correct, someone made a formula for the X00 strips, it went something like...

100: Nothing Special Happening
200: Important Character Appears
300: Splash Page! (Must Be The End Of The Story Arc.)
400: Two Characters Kiss
500: Another Important Event

So, following this, 600 would be Nothing Special Happening, and 700 would be Important Character Appears. So then 800 would be Splash Page, and 900 would be Two Characters Kiss! Then 1000 would be Another Important Event (As well as the One Thousandth Comic, naturally :smalltongue:)

ThePhantasm
2009-11-30, 10:10 PM
700 would be Important Character Appears.

So maybe Girard finally shows up in 700, after much anticipation? That would make sense.

Maximum Zersk
2009-11-30, 10:19 PM
It does, actually. I'm also thinking of posting some other interesting stuff about the comic numbers, once I get it all together.

AtopTheMountain
2009-11-30, 10:35 PM
I think we're long overdue for the linear guild's next appearance, so I think that 700 will be a really, extremely, amazingly EPIC cliffhanger, then 701 will be the Linear Guild (or mabye Team Xykon).

But actually, I think it's far more likely that it'll be something that nobody has guessed, since we all know how much The Giant likes to mess with us.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-30, 10:42 PM
If I am correct, someone made a formula for the X00 strips, it went something like...

100: Nothing Special Happening
200: Important Character Appears
300: Splash Page! (Must Be The End Of The Story Arc.)
400: Two Characters Kiss
500: Another Important Event

So, following this, 600 would be Nothing Special Happening, and 700 would be Important Character Appears. So then 800 would be Splash Page, and 900 would be Two Characters Kiss! Then 1000 would be Another Important Event (As well as the One Thousandth Comic, naturally :smalltongue:)

Or you know, the formula is wrong.

waterpenguin43
2009-11-30, 10:59 PM
I believe they will encounter Girard because of, ironically, Elan. Girard used illusions so powerful that they prevented True Seeing and the only way anyone could find the entrance was if they were a protagonist with a sense of drama.
So essentially you would have to be CG to find your way in.

Mariel Dragon
2009-11-30, 11:51 PM
It will be just a regular strip. Then, 701 will be triple-feature, the most epic strip ever. And the last panel will be Roy, saying: "Odd, I get the feeling we should have done this a tad earlier"

Hatchet
2009-12-01, 03:18 PM
I'm putting my gold on the Linear Guild returning. I miss them.

I figure the Order will find their way into Girard's dungeon before #700, so when they meet the Guild they'll just walk past them and maybe make a comment like "Wow, Girard thought we'd fall for this illusion? Lame."

I'd also like to make a side bet, about Roy's dad appearing to tell Roy that Xykon is leaving Azure City. In the next panel, Team Evil teleports directly to the gate.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 12:51 AM
i think that it will involve something significant with belkar or V. what that is... i know not.

Zelthax
2009-12-02, 07:40 AM
The IFCC claims V's soul when Mr. Scruffy turns out to be Girard in disguise and Girard reveals himself to be Haley's father while Haley's mother, Tiamat, teleports the Linear Guild in to fight controlled V and O-Chul riding on top of the revealed MiTD jumps in and throws Xykon's phylactery into the gate, but the IFCC controlled Miko-turned-Blackguard catches the phylactery and uses it to kill Belkar and Durkon. Celia flies in carrying Julio Scoundrel and breaks up with Roy while Therkla appears as an illusion and tells Elan that Girard is also his father, Lord Tyranyr. Thog falls in love with the Therkla illusion while Miko is killed by O-Chul. Then Xykon flies in and is consumed by the snarl.

So close. You missed the "Durkon bringing destruction to his homelands" prophecy, and didn't mention Redcloak.:smalltongue:

ScottishDragon
2009-12-04, 09:16 PM
Im putting all of my gold,down to my last copper piece that girand will be dying when they come in,and then the linear guild will come and do the plan that they were planning involving thog and the roller skates.:thog::thog::nale::sabine::smallsmile:

KillerQueen
2009-12-04, 09:35 PM
I take it back...my bet is that we switch back to Xykon and 700 is Redcloak's epiphany due to his loss of depth perception (and related matters).

I like this...I'd say it'll happen when he looks in the mirror and realizes how much he misses his baby bro.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-04, 11:29 PM
I can see that...

The problem is the Giant would have to fill another eight comics with the Order stumbling around aimlessly. That's...not a particularly interesting story.

Unless the comic switches to the Linear Guild or Team Evil, but doing either of those things would be worth a comic 700 in itself, as it would reveal a great deal of backstory we presently don't know.

derfenrirwolv
2009-12-04, 11:33 PM
My guess

Sabine imitating girard for the linear guild to trick the heroes into opening the gates

Reshbj
2009-12-05, 04:55 AM
My theory:

:elan: Ooh, ooh, Haley! I found the dungeon!
:haley: Uh-huh. *dig*
:roy: Sure you did, Elan. Sure you did.
:elan: ......I found the dungeon!
:haley: *turns around* Holy......Elan, I think I dropped a contact lens. Find it for me?
:elan: I'm helping!
:haley: Roy?
:roy: Yeah?
:haley: Turn around.
*Time passes*
:roy: Everyone, I have an announcement.
:durkon: Have ye found tha dungeon?
:vaarsuvius: We have found no trace of the gate or any associated spatial disturbance.
:haley: We?
:belkar: Just get to the bad news already.
:roy:(aside) This strip really needs some original material again.
:roy: Ah. Yes. The bad news, is: We found the dungeon.
:durkon: An how is this tha bad news?
:roy: Because we are already inside.
:elan: DUN DUNNN DUNNNNNNNN!
:belkar:(to Roy) Just one stab, Roy. One little stab.

or

Or, of course, they are just in the wrong place. Which would be an AWESOME anticlimax.

:elan: Theories: Put into spoiler form for your convenience!

ScottishDragon
2009-12-05, 12:43 PM
Hey is it possible to be V's divorce,or is it too early for that.

:elan:Hey,look the dungeon!
:roy: Its about time we found it.
:vaarsuvius:Now let us proceed forward.
???: Vaarsuvius the elf,you have been summoned to the divorce of your soon to be ex-husband,who is taking custody of your children.
:vaarsuvius:(looks suprised)
:elan:Hows that for strip 700?