PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play S4 League?

Boo
2009-11-30, 04:46 AM
I find it rather fun (except for the expected jerks in ALL games). It's an anime-style mmofps that's rather simple in gameplay (basically just mouse (aim with scroll for weapons), wasd keys (movement), shift (special), numbers 1-3 (weapons), and ctrl for crouch). It's fast paced, and a skilled marksman will probably go farther than most others.

Matches last thirty minutes with a half-time to stretch your arms/switch characters (I usually play with the dancing alien in the half-time screen). It also comes with the occasional text "You have been playing for x hours, get up and stretch/get a drink/rest". I like that, honestly.

Game types are as follows:

Chaser - Basically a game of tag, but the person whom is 'it' kills you using any means possible. They can be killed too, but they have a lot of health, so unless they're lagging like crazy, and everyone is attacking them, you probably won't kill them. (Chased win when either chaser is dead, or time runs out; chaser wins when everyone is dead.)

Touch Down - It's kinda like Basketball. The ball starts in the middle, and everyone races from their starting points to get it. Once with the ball, you must do everything you can to get it into their goal. (10 goals auto-wins, ties are decided by player points)

Death Match - ...I think this one is rather obvious. Kill the other team until the timer runs out or a team reaches 100 points.

Two weapons and a single problem/good thing about the game:

(There are several weapons, but these two, in my opinion, kinda suck in a cheap way...)

Counter Sword (CS) - Lots of range for a melee weapon, can stun with a block, and spamming a single attack is rather easy and fast making for a cheap victory.

Mind Shock (MS) - Absorbs your health using a chain of power that only has to hit you once to lock on. People have been known to use this in combination with the next thing I'm about to mention...

Wall bug - You can shoot through walls if you press against them. In some cases you can also BE shot. Snipers and people using MS most typically do this. I do it myself, but the MS use is the one that annoys me.

Another bug (in the lobby menu) for me at least: the shop, inventory, and a third button that I've yet to click are invisible at the top centre of my lobby screen. Their outlines appear when I move over them with my mouse, and I can enter them still. They're just invisible. I'm telling you all this in case anyone decides to play it and has the same problem.

Things I like about this game:

The tutorial: It was fun for me, and quite effective in setting me up to play. (NOTE: You do not start the game with the Shield skill)
The gameplay: Simple and fun.
Simplicity: It's a light game--easy on your computer I should hope.
Censors: Because really, why do you need to swear in an fps?
Story: There is none.
Graphics: Very simple, but still up to date.
Deaths: You disintegrate into code.
Clothing: I like the style of most outfits (girl or guy)
Can have 2-3 characters: Allows the option of having different weapons every half round.
Respawn time: 7 seconds is a good number. I'd go nuts if it were instant--Touch Down would be an impossible mountain since the goals are right beside spawn points.
Weapon licenses: You don't have to pay for these, and they all come with an easy tutorial to teach you how to use at a basic level. Some people don't like this, but I think it's useful.
It's free: I don't know anyone who dislikes free-to-play games.

(I haven't been playing it for very long, so I don't know everything about it.)

Things I found bad or pointless:

Level system: I don't see any point to this besides clothing requirements and getting to fifth level to be able to have a second character.
Shop & clothing: I don't mind that people who buy credits get better items, but EVERY item in the shop expires over time. (weapons/skills are 30 hrs of gameplay; clothing is 30 days) You can't buy permanent items with real money? That's dumb, even if the company sees it as a way to make more money (I think they make less for it).
reload: That itself is good, but you sometimes can't switch weapons while reloading, and sometimes you really need to.
Hack Shield: It's a program that comes with the game. It doesn't really cause any problems, but on occasion it kicks me out of the game for "speed hacking". I guess it has to do with my virus protection (I use Bit Defender), but I don't know.

TD Tactics Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y27j-YdKjcw
General Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlj_b_OIBA4

Penguinizer
2009-11-30, 05:49 AM
I used to play a every now and then, but I lost interest I suppose. I tended to stick to the Railgun, Revolver and Plasma Sword. The Railgun in particular was hilarious in chaser.

Boo
2009-11-30, 06:16 AM
Yeah, it's quite funny on either side. I was killed by the chaser with it, along with the rest of the group, quickly. They moved maybe ten feet to do so (I was first to go in all honesty, but the rest were rather stupid in going full melee :P)

A group and I were stunning a chaser to death--we did kill them--and three people including myself used a railgun. Everyone was about ten feet away, or stunning it with sword/counter swords.