PDA

View Full Version : Grr...

Koury
2009-11-30, 06:47 AM
So...

I came home today and found a d12 on my couch. Uh what?

I glance around but don't see any other dice. I go to my dice bag. Empty. What? No, that isn't cool. I only have three sets of dice. 21 dice. I've looked all over the house for like an hour. Where are my dice? I know it was my sisters two year old. But seriously, where are my dice.

I'm really frustrated. I can't find more than the one die and can't ask about it as its 4 a.m.

So, to reiterate:

Grr...

EDIT: This apartment is slightly more then 1000 sq ft. That is the same as 31.62 x 31.62 (roughly). Thats a 6x6 grid in DnD. 36 squares. Whats the DC on finding a die? DC 20, I'd say. I'll assume I have a +0 to search. So if I take 20, I can not only find them all, but it should take (2 minutes x 36 sections = ) 1 hr and 12 minutes. Yeah I searched already but I hardly took 20.

Also, sorry if its weird, but it calms me to think of it like this. Makes me not want to karate chop a certain two year old I know.

ghost_warlock
2009-11-30, 06:53 AM
Check the diaper in a few hours. Chances are, you'll find your dice.

Jack Squat
2009-11-30, 06:53 AM
Think of it like an Easter Egg Hunt.

I'm sure you've checked a lot of these places, but I'm just going to rattle off a list:

under/between cushions
under furniture
behind the couch (esp. if it's up against a wall)
behind the TV
air vents
cabinets/low drawers
in the trash
behind/in the fridge

Koury
2009-11-30, 07:04 AM
Think of it like an Easter Egg Hunt.

I'm sure you've checked a lot of these places, but I'm just going to rattle off a list:

under/between cushions
under furniture
behind the couch (esp. if it's up against a wall)
behind the TV
air vents
cabinets/low drawers
in the trash
behind/in the fridge

Yeah... There is also a pile of laundry they could be all jumbled in. I hope, out of the places on your list, they are not in the trash (though its possible, I doubt it. He was most likely playing with them and, well, I just don't think he did that.) or in an air vent. I'll find them in any of the other places.

As for the diaper suggestion, god I hope he didn't eat them. A d4? No fun on either end, I'd think. Especially since hes such a small 2 yr old. As for the checking of diapers, he has been out of them for a while, sans the overnight pull-up, so I hope thats not it.

Koury
2009-11-30, 11:39 AM
In case anyone was wondering, I have found the last of them. I had to apply a search-grid style method, but found them all.

Gullara
2009-11-30, 11:58 AM
In case anyone was wondering, I have found the last of them. I had to apply a search-grid style method, but found them all.

Good to hear, and for future reference keep them out of the reach of children:smallamused:

Koury
2009-11-30, 12:36 PM
Well, to be fair, I have no kids. Too much to expect that someone will stop a two yr old from standing on the dining room table (which he had to do to reach them).

But whatever. My dice are all fine.

...Oh yeah, so is my nephew I guess.

valadil
2009-11-30, 12:42 PM
Good to hear, and for future reference keep them out of the reach of children:smallamused:

Seconded. Two year olds are incapable of understanding how property works. If the kid finds the dice, the dice are his/hers to play with. Since they're a choking hazard, keep the dice out of reach of the two year old (somewhere above 3 feet from ground level should work).

Koury
2009-11-30, 12:55 PM
The dice were up high. On a counter that he can't even get his fingers over the edge of. Someone just apparently didn't care that he was walking on the table. I don't know. I wasn't home. As far as I knew, though, they were out of reach assuming someone was even half-assedly watching him.

As for how kids work, believe me, I know. 11 brothers and sisters, more then one niece/nephew. My youngest siblings are... 3? Maybe they're 4 now... (twins).

I'm 21. Just felt like throwing that out there.

Closak
2009-11-30, 01:00 PM
Ugh, i hate it when this sort of thing happens.

I have a 3 year old brother who keeps stealing my candy.
And if i steal it back he starts screaming and crying and even outright attacks me.
He's managed to floor me more than once by way of headbutt to the groin.
Then he takes my candy.

Oh, it's all right for him to steal from me, torture me and attempt to maim me, but if i do even the slightest thing back then all hell breaks loose, i'm not even allowed to run away because that would make him start crying.
So i have no choice but to stand there and take it while he hurts me in every way he can.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 01:12 PM
If you ever feel like karate chopping two year olds due to missing dice, it's a sign to take a break from tabletop gaming, I'd say.

Also, what warlock said.

Strawman
2009-11-30, 02:05 PM
Clean modern day habitats are much harder to search than dusty pitch black dungeons. Take a -4 circumstance penalty to your search check.

Try spying on the kid. Give him some safe decoy objects, and see what he does with 'em.

Jack Squat
2009-11-30, 02:41 PM
Ugh, i hate it when this sort of thing happens.

I have a 3 year old brother who keeps stealing my candy.
And if i steal it back he starts screaming and crying and even outright attacks me.
He's managed to floor me more than once by way of headbutt to the groin.
Then he takes my candy.

Oh, it's all right for him to steal from me, torture me and attempt to maim me, but if i do even the slightest thing back then all hell breaks loose, i'm not even allowed to run away because that would make him start crying.
So i have no choice but to stand there and take it while he hurts me in every way he can.

Walk away - it really doesn't matter. If he hits you, or attempts to, stop him. I mean, he's three, it's not like he's got lightening speed, and by this point you're probably expecting it every time.

How you (or your parents) initiate discipline after that is up to yourselves to decide and is the subject of a lot of debate - but really, that kid needs to be shown that that's not an appropriate course of action.

to the OP: glad you found the dice. I may suggest keeping them in a high-ish drawer (such as a pencil drawer on a desk) from now on. It'll keep them from going everywhere, and it'll probably make your place look cleaner. Not implying you're messy, but 3 sets of dice do take up a noticeable amount of room.

Koury
2009-11-30, 06:20 PM
If you ever feel like karate chopping two year olds due to missing dice, it's a sign to take a break from tabletop gaming, I'd say.

Also, what warlock said.

You, sir, are ridiculous. Karate chopping people of any age is a perfect outlet for frustration, I find. I have average strength and no martial training so most people who receive said chop from me take it as a joke. Especially when I flat out miss due to my -4 for attempting to deal lethal damage. Even when I miss and they point and laugh at me, I know that they are secretly thinking "Boy, this guy haz teH uber sKillz!" and make a mental note not to mess with me.

The fact this one is two actually increases how hard a successful chop is to pull off. +1 AC from small size, ability to shrug off damage to a degree I can't sometimes even comprehend (we'll be modest and put it at DR 5/-) AND some degree of fast healing? Fast healing two, maybe 3? His CR is significantly above what I should be facing.

And as for taking a break from table top gaming, this post should make it clear that that is obviously unneeded. RL and my gaming worlds, for me, are completely separate.