PDA

View Full Version : Your Friendly Corpsesmith (Pathfinder) Build Help?

Ravens_cry
2009-11-30, 09:46 AM
In an upcoming morally ambiguous, but not Evil, campaign, I wish to play a clerical necromancer who can still act as a healer and buffer to the normies. I am basically restricted to Core, though specific examples I can say print off from wizards or such may be possible. I have never done this before, and I don't want to bog down combat too much. Planned alignment is Lawful Neutral.
20 point buy.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 11:22 AM
Don't raise an Army. That's very slow. Raise a couple Poweful undead, and once you pass about 3 characters, start having them obey the other party members(make one of your tanks listen to the Wizard he guards rather than you, for example). Low-HD undead aren't very useful, other than as mounts.

20 point buy hurts, so you'll want something like 16 Wis, 10 Dex, 8 Str, 14 Con, 8 int, 10 Cha.

Is it core only because you don't have the books, or because your DM banned it?

What level, what's the rest of the party playing, what do you know about the campaign path, what houserules are there?

Ravens_cry
2009-11-30, 11:45 AM
Don't raise an Army. That's very slow. Raise a couple Poweful undead, and once you pass about 3 characters, start having them obey the other party members(make one of your tanks listen to the Wizard he guards rather than you, for example). Low-HD undead aren't very useful, other than as mounts.

20 point buy hurts, so you'll want something like 16 Wis, 10 Dex, 8 Str, 14 Con, 8 int, 10 Cha.

Is it core only because you don't have the books, or because your DM banned it?

What level, what's the rest of the party playing, what do you know about the campaign path, what houserules are there?
I don't have any other books. Houserules? None that I know of besides that successes, including skills, are plus 10 on a Natural 20, and minus 10 on a Natural 1. The point-buy isn't as bad as it sounds, as it works a wee bit differently. in Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores). The only other player I know of is a ranger. I probably have access to the 3.5 MIC.

Akal Saris
2009-11-30, 12:05 PM
Well, if it's a matter of finances, the Guide to Free D&D (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0) has some nifty stuff you might be able to use. Otherwise, Paizo offers some free demos of its stuff, like the new classes.

Specifically, this page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041001a)has a bunch of feats and whatnot for creating undead (from Heroes of Horror).

20 PB melee human cleric: (this is PF point buy, obviously)
Str: 16
Dex: 9
Con: 14
Int: 07
Wis: 16
Cha: 14

You'll have to channel negative energy to take the Command Undead feat, which isn't much fun, since you'll then need to prepare Cure spells instead of spontaneously casting them. The Death domain will let you heal yourself with negative energy, but its spells are pretty mediocre, so I'd just pick another two instead, like Luck and Travel or something.

To improve your rebuking/commanding, you'll want to invest in a cloak/headband of charisma and eventually a headband of mental prowess, and in any spells or items that increase your caster level, such as a strand of prayer beads (bead of karma).

You might also invest in a Robe of Bones for some on-the-spot undead, and a Phylactery of Negative Channeling for a bit of a boost to your channel ability.

For feats, Command Undead at 1st level, and probably Toughness, then a lot of open slots, though I'd pick up Extend Spell around 5th and Quicken Spell at 9th anyhow.