PDA

View Full Version : Races....

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 03:42 PM
Hi there people,

D&D 3.5
Do you know any race that boost STR & INT stats?

only rule: NO Level Adjustment

Thx to all :smallsmile:

Ormagoden
2009-11-30, 03:48 PM
Heya!

Try checking out the search feature! There are tons of posts on races.

Welcome aboard!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 03:54 PM
Not really. The issue is that there are few races that boost Int, and most of those are elf-variants. I can get you one or the other, and even boost con+either, but not both.

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 03:57 PM
so,
are you saying that there is no race that boost int & str in all D&D 3.5 manuals ???

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 03:58 PM
so,
are you saying that there is no race that boost int & str in all D&D 3.5 manuals ???IIRC, not without LA, which isn't worth it. What are you trying to do?

drengnikrafe
2009-11-30, 03:58 PM
That sounds like what he's saying.
Your best bet is either to take what he's offering, or homebrew a race and get your DM to approve it.
Quick question... Why do you need a race that does that?

Ninja'd!

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 04:00 PM
Wizard / Monk character xDD

Starbuck_II
2009-11-30, 04:02 PM
Hi there people,

D&D 3.5
Do you know any race that boost STR & INT stats?

only rule: NO Level Adjustment

Thx to all :smallsmile:

Fire variant Wood Elf does. But it has -2 Cha.
It gets +2 Str/+2 Int. But -2 Cha.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 04:03 PM
You'll want the PrC that dual-advances them, and the feat to key your monk abilities off of Int. Str can be dropped, go with either Wep Finesse or some way to get Int to AB, and abuse size increases and spells to boost damage.

Edit: I didn't think of stacking those 2, though I doubt any DM would actually allow it.

Ormagoden
2009-11-30, 04:05 PM
EDIT* Thou are not ready young one...

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 04:05 PM
Fire variant Wood Elf does. But it has -2 Cha.
It gets +2 Str/+2 Int. But -2 Cha.

o.o!
thx, wheres that variant? i mean, which manual?

PrC? you mean Enlightned Fist?
And how could i add INT mod to damage?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 04:14 PM
o.o!
thx, wheres that variant? i mean, which manual?Unearthed Arcana, and the SRD.
PrC? you mean Enlightned Fist?
And how could i add INT mod to damage?Yeah, couldn't remember the name. You'll also want the Carmedine Monk feat(Int to Monk abilities), Faerie Mysteries Initiate(Int to HP instead of Con) from Dragon 319, and since I can't find a cheap way of getting Int to AB unarmed, Weapon Finesse.

Kelb_Panthera
2009-11-30, 04:14 PM
The fire variant elf is in Unearthed Arcana iirc, as for int to damage (or anything else) try the "x stat to y bonus" thread.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 04:20 PM
Unearthed Arcana, and the SRD.

That one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) doesn't get STR and INT, unless I'm misreading something...?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-30, 04:22 PM
That one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) doesn't get STR and INT, unless I'm misreading something...?

You don't use normal (high) elf, you use a variant like Sun, Wood, etc. They are all legal to be Fire varianted.

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 04:26 PM
You don't use normal (high) elf, you use a variant like Sun, Wood, etc. They are all legal to be Fire varianted.

Sry, which page? i cant find it T-T

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 04:31 PM

I still don't see anything about a STR bonus. It sounds like you're saying apply the fire variant to a STR-bonus elf so they get the INT bonus, but I don't know any elves that get a STR-bonus to begin with. Unless I'm mistaken, which I very well may be.

Yukitsu
2009-11-30, 04:32 PM
Wood elves have -2 intelligence, so you balance out at 0 bonus int.

You wind up with +2 dex, +2 strength, -2 con, -2 charisma.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 04:34 PM
Wood elves have -2 intelligence, so you balance out at 0 bonus int.

You wind up with +2 dex, +2 strength, -2 con, -2 charisma.

Oh, you apply it to a wood elf. But you still won't get bonus INT that way, it'll end up zero.

hamishspence
2009-11-30, 04:36 PM
wood elves (MM) do. But they also come with an Intelligence penalty- so the best that Fire Variant would do, is remove the penalty. That's if Fire is treated as a template.

Edit: Ninjaed.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 04:37 PM
wood elves (MM) do. But they also come with an Intelligence penalty- so the best that Fire Variant would do, is remove the penalty. That's if Fire is treated as a template.

Edit: Ninjaed.Wood is treated as the template, interestingly enough.

hamishspence
2009-11-30, 04:39 PM
Ah, so they are taking the UA "Fire Elf" and adding the "Wood Elf Modifiers" to it?

Yukitsu
2009-11-30, 04:40 PM
Not that it matters. It has no intelligence bonus no matter which way you interpret it.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 04:41 PM
Well, burning wood is thematically appropriate, though not so much for elves. :smallbiggrin:

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 04:43 PM
not bad, but still there's no INT boost :smallfrown:

Keshay
2009-11-30, 04:50 PM
Here you go:http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf

Unfortunately it does not look like there are any LA0 races that grant both a Str and Int bonus.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 04:56 PM
Just pump INT OP; with Kung-Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk (sp?) you get INT to attack, and your spells will do more damage (and be more useful) than your punches as an Enlightened Fist. Plus you can always polymorph into something stronger, use Bull's Strength etc.

jmbrown
2009-11-30, 04:57 PM
This website will help you. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) It's a listing of every race, equipment, magic item, spell, base classes, prestige classes, feats, monsters, templates, skills, and deities in every officially published WotC book.

Without even looking at the races list, I'm 100% positive there's no race that gives Str + Int and has no LA. Except in a few cases (like the grey elf) a race that gets a bonus to a mental ability score will get a LA.

hamishspence
2009-11-30, 05:00 PM
Bonuses to INT are rare (grey elves, Faerun Sun Elves)- but not unheard of- are there any others?

Loki Eremes
2009-11-30, 05:03 PM
Just pump INT OP; with Kung-Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk (sp?) you get INT to attack, and your spells will do more damage (and be more useful) than your punches as an Enlightened Fist. Plus you can always polymorph into something stronger, use Bull's Strength etc.

mmmm okey, ill se what i can do.

Kung-fu Genius appears in Dragon Compendium i know. but
"Carmendine monk" ?? wheres that feat?

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 05:08 PM
mmmm okey, ill se what i can do.

Kung-fu Genius appears in Dragon Compendium i know. but
"Carmendine monk" ?? wheres that feat?

Bookmark this. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists)

It's in Champions of Valor.

hamishspence
2009-11-30, 05:09 PM
Champions of Valor- allows you to use Int for AC bonus, Stunning fist, Quivering Palm.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 05:13 PM
Bonuses to INT are rare (grey elves, Faerun Sun Elves)- but not unheard of- are there any others?

Without LA, there aren't many - Exiled Modron, Lesser Tiefling, Deep Imaskari... I think that's it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-30, 05:13 PM
Without LA, there aren't many - Exiled Modron, Tiefling, Deep Imaskari... I think that's it.Grey Elves from the MM.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 05:14 PM
Grey Elves from the MM.

He already mentioned them, and Sun Elves too.

hamishspence
2009-11-30, 05:20 PM
Tieflings only qualify if the Lesser Planetouched rules (downgrading them from Outsider to Humanoid) in Player's Guide to Faerun are being used.

I've just checked and if those rules are applied to other planetouched, zenthyri (MM2) and mechanatrixes & wisplings (Fiend Folio) also have INT boosts- and when downgraded to Humanoid, become LA: +0.

Were Exiled Modrons reprinted from a MoTP web enhancement, or are they Dragon Magazine only?

EDIT: Add Air Genasi and Fire Genasi to the list of LA+1 planetouched with INT bonuses, that can be downgraded to LA+0.

Optimystik
2009-11-30, 05:27 PM
Were Exiled Modrons reprinted from a MoTP web enhancement, or are they Dragon Magazine only?

Crystalkeep says Dragon 354; if they're anywhere else, I don't know.

No LA or HD listed though, so I'm assuming LA 0.

hamishspence
2009-11-30, 05:31 PM
I checked Dragon 354- no LA listed- suggesting they are probably a standard LA +0 race.

FMArthur
2009-11-30, 06:50 PM
Don't Illumians do wierd things with casting stats and such? Maybe there's something you can work out with them-they benefit significantly from multiclassing, too.

Asbestos
2009-11-30, 10:12 PM

Ummm... I see absolutely nothing that would suggest that 'Fire Elf' is a template that you may apply to elves. It is an actual race, it is no more a template than Grey Elf or Wood Elf. You can't have a Fire Wood Elf, that is unless you also allow Grey Wood Elves or Wild Sun Elves or Grey Wild Wood Sun High Aquatic Drow Elves.

Guancyto
2009-11-30, 10:28 PM
You can't have a Fire Wood Elf

Shenanigans!

There's nothing like a hot blaze of elves on a cold winter's night, except maybe burning down their forest.

Asbestos
2009-11-30, 10:29 PM
Shenanigans!

There's nothing like a hot blaze of elves on a cold winter's night, except maybe burning down their forest.
Fine, you can set a Wood Elf (or any other Elf) on fire, but you can't 'apply' the Fire Elf traits to other elves because it is a race, not a template. You might as well have an Orc Elf (and I don't mean some Half-Elf or Half-Orc, I mean something that has the traits of both races additively.)

Gnorman
2009-11-30, 10:30 PM
Sharakim from Races of Destiny are +2 STR, -2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 CHA. They have an LA of +1 but they shouldn't.

HCL
2009-11-30, 11:02 PM
Shakarim from Races of Destiny, +2 Str -2 dex +2 int -2 cha

LA +1

Tee hee ninja'd

Asbestos
2009-12-01, 12:04 AM
Shakarim from Races of Destiny, +2 Str -2 dex +2 int -2 cha

LA +1

Tee hee ninja'd

Ninja'd by 30 minutes? What were you doing?!

Loki Eremes
2009-12-02, 05:33 PM
Ok, thank you a lot people,
and special ones to Optimystik for the Feat index (that helped me a lot) and jmbrown for that PDF with all the D&D races (helped a lot too)

Again, thx you all. :elan: