PDA

View Full Version : To Be the Very Best, Team One

industrious
2009-11-30, 06:15 PM
They came from near and far, from down the block and from far away. They came from islands and the main land. They came by boat and by foot and car, by bike and horse and airplane. But they had all come to Professor Oak's laboratory for a single reason: the Trainer's Anniversary.

Twenty years. Twenty years to the day since the legendary Ash Ketchum had begun his journey, arriving late that summer's day, and receiving his first pokemon. And on that day, every year, crowds gathered in Pallet Town, up and coming trainers making a pilgrimage to the birthplace and stomping grounds of their idol.

The door to the laboratory is closed, and locked. The balcony above is empty; the professor will not come out until noon, but noon is only an hour away. The crowd stirs with impatience.

And you came as well. Perhaps early this morning or late last night, perhaps just now elbowing your way through the crowd in a vain hope to catch the first glimpse of the universally revered man. But you are here, all the same.

Eurus
2009-11-30, 06:56 PM
Stergan looks around curiously at the muttering crowd, waiting for... something. He wasn't quite sure, he'd just followed the flow of people. He was supposed to be learning more about the world, after all, so he figured he'd start here.

Figuring he should probably find out exactly what he was waiting for, the enormous Skarn gently nudges the man next to him with one dangerous-looking arm spine, leans down, and whispers. "Hey. Hey you. What are all these people here for?"

atriusnight
2009-11-30, 07:32 PM
The human turns at the nudge, does something of a double-take as he takes in the reptilian beside him before calming himself....In the momentary flash of surprise however his own reptilian eyes were apparent..

"Oh! You startled me..." He says, quickly recoverig, "...It's the festival! today is The Trainer's anniversery. Everyone is waiting for Professor Oak, the world renowned pokemon researcher to make an appearence..." Answers the fellow, seeming quite exited himself.....He always got into the spirit of such things when people gathered for the festival...

Cogwheel
2009-11-30, 08:55 PM
Beside Stergan are two more figures, one decidedly more disturbing than the other. The first is, quite unmistakably, a kobold. Anyone who has been in town for the past few weeks would recognize him as Silas, a traveling witch doctor who had arrived just recently, and cured quite a number of near-fatal injuries in that time, a fact that might make him popular, were he a little more normal. Instead, he is tolerated.

For a kobold, his scales are an unusually deep blue, and he is clad from head to toe in grey-brown robes and a cloak. Drab colours, to be sure, but sensible for traveling wear. A crossbow is rather conspicuously tied to his back - it would not do to travel unarmed. Beyond this, he carries little. A small pouch, and a sliver of pine. Both tricks of the trade, and both absolutely necessary, though the latter was only for use in emergencies.

Crouching at his side is a rather more worrying creature. A pallid blue-grey human, dressed in flowing clothing designed to allow as much movement as possible. To be a little more precise, it was a pallid, rotted human - chunks of flesh were missing here and there, exposing plates of bone. There is an unmistakably feral look about it, and while it somehow manages to avoid smelling like a corpse, a few small bloodstains can be seen around its mouth. The fingers have changed to long claws, little more than skin wrapped around bone, and its gleaming yellow eyes, a pair of thin slits, dart constantly about the scene.

"He is correct, yes," Silas answers, overhearing the question. It seemed odd that anyone would even have to ask, but since he had, it was safe to assume the man knew nothing about the history involved.

"Twenty years have passed since a certain rather famous trainer - the most skilled one on record, certainly - began his journey from here. This occasion serves as an anniversary celebration of sorts. The professor who gifted him with his first creature, and is one of the experts regarding them, is scheduled to make an appearance soon enough."

Truth be told, Silas had no great respect for Ash. His skill as commander might make him powerful, of course, but the kobold held knowledge in higher regard. He might not have even bothered to attend, but such an act would draw suspicion, since he was staying in town, even though he did plan to leave soon. It was, in any case, something new. What harm could it do to show up for a celebration like this, after all?

Eurus
2009-12-01, 12:20 AM
Stergan nods slowly, as his gaze shifts to - and does not fall from - the second stranger and his unusual pokemon. His tone is slightly strained, as though he was trying hard to be polite. "A ceremony, then. I see."

Fortunately, the Mish were rather open-minded about undeath. Many types of undead arose naturally, and were thus a simple part of life. That said, Stergan was more accustomed to spirits than zombies and their like; a walking, rotting corpse was unnerving, even to him.

"Forgive me. I am new to this area, so this is all unfamiliar to me."

Cogwheel
2009-12-01, 12:50 AM
"That's quite alright, it's not as if everyone has been here," the kobold answers with a faint smile, probably more out of simple politeness than anything else. Noticing the strange tone in Stregan's voice, Silas realizes that he is likely unnerved, as most were, by the presence of undead.

"Please, don't mind the ghoul-" "My name," it cuts in suddenly, "is Acheron."

Silas sighs a little, shaking his head as if to say "what can you do?" "Of course, how could I forget? It's his title. A little old-fashioned and overly dramatic, perhaps, but it's up to him. In any case, there's no need to be alarmed. He's not friendly, but he is harmless."

"Right. I don't bite. Lizard warned me about that," the corpse chimes in. "Never said a thing about claws, though. Funny how that works, isn't it?" Its voice seems more like a wheeze, than anything. A dry, rattling breath, which could never belong to any living being. The last few words seem to amuse it, and a rather unnerving grin spreads across what passes for its face, exposing a few fangs.

atriusnight
2009-12-01, 04:27 PM
Seeing the ghoul for the first time in the midst of the crowd, the Young trainer approaches....Though cautiously keeping out of claws reach...."Oooh, a Ghoul....You must be Silas, I heard about you when I got back in town yesterday. How did you catch it...? Have you been training long....?" his draconic eyes were wide with the curiousity that often arose when one trainer meets another.....

Eurus
2009-12-01, 05:26 PM
Stergan nearly jumps as the ghoul suddenly starts talking - a rather amusing sight, given his size. Regaining his composure, he flicks one hand downward in some sort of gesture, perhaps intended to ward off bad luck or evil spirits. The look on his face is sheepish, as though he realizes how silly he must look, and he shakes his head slowly. When the other trainer finished talking, Stergan spoke up again himself.

"How... interesting. I am sorry if my nervousness offends you, Acheron; you must understand, the undead that I am accustomed to are rather more... insubstantial. Spirits. I have never heard of a walking corpse as anything but the offspring of evil magic, let alone one that speaks."

To prove his sincerity, the trainer gives the ghoul a short bow, arms crossed in front of him at the wrist with spines pointing outward. Though Stergan was unfamiliar with much of this culture, he knew a threat when he heard it - unfortunately, the same could not be said for a jest. "If you wish to challenge me to combat for my insult, I understand."

The fact that Stergan literally towered over the crouching ghoul added a touch of unintentional humor to his comment, which could easily be interpreted as sarcastic. His tone was quite grave, however, and his expression suggested nothing but sincerity.

Cogwheel
2009-12-01, 10:21 PM
"Correct, sir. I am Silas Standford," the kobold answers with a short bow. "I fear I must disappoint you, however - I am hardly an experienced trainer. As for Acheron here, I did not capture him. Not as such, at any rate. We work together under a contract of sorts - that is to say that he has a good deal of say in my actions as well, among other things. Now, if you'll excuse my questioning, who might you be?"

Acheron, meanwhile, quickly hands the shortbow back and waves his hand, declining the offer. With another small, unnerving grin, he answers "No offense taken. No need for a duel, not hungry now. " A short laugh, rather more like a cough in practice, follows this, before he continues. "I'll just say there might have been some evil magic around when I decided to pop out of my grave, and leave it at that. Not something I rattle off to strangers. Now, if talking to me makes you nervous, I suggest you go and chat with the clown over there instead." At this, Acheron points a single thin claw at Silas.

industrious
2009-12-02, 02:57 PM
But that conversation will have to wait until later. The clock above the doorway has struck noon, and the door has begun to open. And stepping out onto the balcony is none other than Professor Oak himself. The man has aged since the days of the Trainer; once-brown hair is now entirely white, and the man has a cane in his left hand. But the man's gaze is still piercing, and there is the surety of purpose and a life well lived in his step; the man is praised the world over for a reason.'

As he reaches the edge of the balcony, he stands before the crowd, now shouting in what seems to be millions of voices, chanting "Oak, Oak, Oak." Holding his hands out for silence, his request is instantly granted. Lowering them once more, and gripping the railing for support. The man begins to speak.

"Welcome. And for those of you who have been here before, welcome back. Today marks twenty years since I first gave the Trainer his first pokemon; twenty years since his humble beginnings. But today is more than that. Today marks the first time for many more of you, to go out into the world, and begin your own journeys across Kanto. To duel and prove your worth to the trainers. To head past Victory Road, and to face the Elite Nine and prove your mastery of pokemon lore. I myself recall doing the same, over fifty years ago. Today marks the beginning of your journeys; may they turn out as auspicious as the Trainer's. Let me remind you, that the road ahead is a long and dangerous one; wild pokemon are a temptation to catch, but they are not harmless. Team Rocket has been gone and vanquished since the days of the Trainer, but not every trainer is honorable, or trustworthy. As you head off into the wider world, I must warn you to be cautious. But remember that you are among friends, and your pokemon are your allies and companions through hard times. Now go, my friends. Go, and catch them all."

Leaning on his cane, the professor walks back to his house, amidst thundering applause. And as you cheer him or stare impassively, something lands on your shoulder. It's a small bird, gold and blue feathers fluttering. It holds out a leg, and you notice a scroll attached. Once you take it off, the bird takes flight once more. Unraveling the scroll, you see a brief message from the Professor himself. "See me in my house at 12:30-Oak."

atriusnight
2009-12-02, 04:52 PM
"Oh! sorry, I'm T.K. I'm Oh! It's starting....." The youth is distracted from meeting the kobold trainer fully as the crowd begins chanting the name of the Professor......T.K.'s voice included amongst the throngs.....

Listening raptly as Oak speaks the young trainer is surprised by the light-weight suddenly on his shoulder. Looking at the tiny bird curiously, he was just reaching for a pokeball when he spies the note, taking it he reads the message, heart speeding up with excitement as he pondered what could be in store..... "I'm sorry, I need to go......Oh.." He looks on curiously to see both of the strangers he had been speaking to reading their own slips of paper....."12:30?" He asks.

Cogwheel
2009-12-02, 08:47 PM
Silas could not begin to understand what might possess so many people to travel such a distance simply to listen to a few words by this professor, and nothing more. Ah well, it was their time to waste. He takes the scroll almost automatically, none of the words even registering in his mind until he realizes that he has already read it three times. Then the surprise sets in.

"12:30... yes, I was called for the same time. I suspect the professor requires the help of a few skilled trainers for some task or the other. If he expects me to fit the bill, he will be sorely disappointed, I'm afraid. Now than, would either of you happen to know the time?"

Eurus
2009-12-02, 10:03 PM
Stergan stares blankly at the note for a few seconds, having absolutely no idea what it says but unwilling to admit it. Fortunately, Silas unintentionally clues him in. "That's strange, I would not have thought that the Professor would even know of me... He must be a wise man indeed, to know everyone who enters this town."

At Silas's question, he scratches his head and thinks. "Um. I'm not really used to measuring time with numbers like you do here, but that clock up there," he points to the large clock above the doorway, "is pointing to the twelve with both hands."

Cogwheel
2009-12-02, 10:46 PM
"Noon, than. Another half an hour, in that case.. assuming both of you plan to be present, we should probably move along, unless there's anything else that needs to be done first..."

As it turns out, there is, and Silas is reminded of this by a bony claw tapping his shoulder. The kobold nods and reaches into a bag, pulling out a chunk of dried meat and passing it to the ghoul, who wolfs it down in a matter of seconds.

"Sorry, Acheron. I forgot for a moment there." To the other two - who, understandably, might be rather uneasy from this little display, he explains "it's a little side-effect of his.. condition. Ghouls need to eat, as I'm sure you know. Rare among undead, but hardly unique. Better that he subsists on whatever meat I can buy than anyone unfortunate enough to run into him."

Wiping his mouth, the ghoul shakes its head sadly, muttering a little. "Speak for yourself. What is this, chicken? I swear it tastes like you fished it out of a pit. Get me a few clueless human stragglers any day."

atriusnight
2009-12-03, 05:03 PM
"Neat....! I haven't spoken with the professor since I came back with Blinky....Err..." He says, not quite sure how to take the display of ghoul-feeding...

...but then shrugs, sympathetic to a trainer with peculiar dietary requirements to take care of.... "At least he'll eat whatever meat you get...Mine gets finiky and will just eat the eyeballs...." he looks at the clock and then to the towering spiked reptile... "Good guess, It's only 12 now...but....It couldn't hurt to get there early if you guys want to go now" He says, fairly bouncing on his heels with restraining himself from leaving that very instant.....

Eurus
2009-12-03, 11:55 PM
Stergan shrugs. "We can if you like. I don't have anything else to do. You're sure it wouldn't be rude, though, to show up earlier than invited? I would hate to offend the Professor."

Stergan's tone implies that he imagined a man as important as the Professor to be more than capable of defeating them all in an honor duel, if it came down to it...

Cogwheel
2009-12-04, 02:15 AM
"Better early than late, I think.. but you may be right. Perhaps it would be best if we simply left now, and waited in the general area until 12:30? Unless there is any other business that either of you plan to take care of beforehand, of course."

industrious
2009-12-04, 07:51 PM
Eventually, it nears 12:30, and you walk to the professor's front door. A locking mechanism disengages, and the door swings open, without need for anybody to pull it. The laboratory walls are covered in bookcases, and on a nearby table lies a single pokeball, covered in dust. The professor is bent over a microscope, examining what appears to be the crushed remains of a plastic-wrapped candy. He doesn't notice your presence.

Cogwheel
2009-12-04, 10:44 PM
With a quick bow, Silas enters, hoping that for once, Acheron will keep his thoughts silent. He was, admittedly, rather nervous - it wasn't that he was awed by the professor as such, but he was unnerved by being brought to the attention of any authority figure. After all, being noticed had seldom served him well in the past. He survived by staying under the radar, so to speak. Holding the paper in one claw, he begins to speak.

"Good afternoon, professor. I believe you called us?"

atriusnight
2009-12-05, 01:58 AM
T.K. too was there, feeling anxious but excited....He entered looking around in wonder despite having been there before. He paused as they came up to the professor. Looking on curiously as he inspected what appeared to be a mere peice of trash.....

Eurus
2009-12-05, 07:46 PM
Stergan was definitely nervous as well, but his anxiety seemed to be directed at the Professor himself. He moved cautiously, as though afraid that the good Professor would produce a sword at any moment. "Uh, nice to meet you, Mister Professor."

industrious
2009-12-07, 01:50 PM
"What? Oh, it's you." Upon hearing Silas's voice, the professor nearly jumps in the air; the man was obviously focused on his work. "Sorry, was busy with this experiment..." Wiping his hands on his lab coat, the professor faces the group.

"Welcome. I've been waiting to speak with all of you. I was hoping if you would accept a small assignment from me."

Cogwheel
2009-12-08, 04:46 AM
"That's quite alright, sir. Happens to the best of us. Now than... an assignment, you say? I thought it might be something of the sort."

On one hand, he planned to leave the town soon. To move on, before any.. unfortunate incidents occurred. One angry mob was one too many. On the other hand, he was running quite short on funds, and didn't plan on starving any time soon. It would, in the long run, be best to accept. Of course, it never hurt to bargain.

"I'm afraid I can't work, unfortunately, without some form of payment. That, and due caution. Could you explain what you need done, and what you might be able to offer in return?"

Eurus
2009-12-08, 10:48 AM
Stergan hesitates momentarily, but nods. "As long as it doesn't force us to stay here for long. I'm planning to set off again soon."

Stergan wasn't worried at all about money, only that he be able to continue his journey. Since he wasn't picky about where he was journeying to, though, he didn't mind as long as the task would let him keep moving.

atriusnight
2009-12-08, 09:34 PM
"Of course, Professor!" Chimes in the local Trainer eager to help the town's other famous hero, "What do you need...?"

industrious
2009-12-11, 11:07 AM
"Recently, there have been several problems with wild pokemon. Not their behavior, but their location. Entire species have been driven far from their usual habitats, for some strange reason. I was hoping that you could do a small amount of investigating about it for me. It wouldn't take much time; you'd be doing it on your way through Kanto. I know that T.K, at least, was hoping to collect all the badges. I would ask you other two to accompany him; there have been strange rumors of late. Safety in numbers, and all that."

Pausing for the moment, he leans forward, nearly collapsing in a fit of coughing. Waving off anybody's assistance, he continues. "And you would be paid, of course. Really, I'm alright; I'm just getting old."

Cogwheel
2009-12-11, 11:34 PM
Silas immediately holds out a hand to the professor. There is a brief hissing sound, and a stream of white light emanates from the tips of his claws, twisting around slowly as it reaches Oak, as if somehow alive. The very sight of this energy seems to make Acheron wince. Some things simply had to be done - it would not help in the long run, perhaps, but it would make a small difference now. Perhaps it was his brief time as a "doctor" that made him feel it was necessary. When one wears a mask for long enough, it ceases to be a mask.

He is careful not to mention the coughing fit in any way - if the professor wished to pretend that it was nothing more than age, far be it for him to disagree or dwell on it overmuch.

"Understood, sir. I admit, I am in no great hurry to collect the badges, but I am something of a traveler, regardless. Where would you have me begin?"

Forgot to mention this, but the light-spray is a casting of Cure Light Wounds. From his spell slot, not the wand. Not going to roll for healing, since that's not necessary - I just figured it would help with the coughing fit, and probably cause someone to be generally healthier for a short while.

Eurus
2009-12-12, 01:25 AM
Stergan had heard of the badges, actually; from what he could tell, they were some sort of legendary rite of passage and goal among trainers, much like the Journey among his people but with tangible rewards and a semi-set path. He had considered attempting to undertake it himself. If he could, surely he would prove that he and his Pokemon companions had grown.

And this problem that the Professor wanted them to investigate, well, it sounded rather serious. Stergan was a firm believer in the natural order, and the idea that something was mucking around with it was not a pleasing one. Yes, he was more than willing to do anything in his power to help.

"Yes, that should be no problem at all."

atriusnight
2009-12-12, 02:06 AM
"I can take care of myself!" the young trainer tosses in defensively, but after a moment's thought adds with a little more humility..."Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to have some help....Just in case...."

His half motion to help Professor Oak is stopped almost before it began by the Professor's waving off of aid, though the concern on his face is apparent he stands by....

As the akward moment passes he turns to the larger of his potential companions....."Are you a trainer too..?" He asks, having only heard about one strange trainer visiting...

Eurus
2009-12-12, 02:13 AM
Stergan shrugs. "In a sense, but that is not the term that I would use. I learn from pokemon, and they 'train' me as much as I them."

atriusnight
2009-12-13, 09:57 PM
"Hmm" The trainer considers, "All Blinky ever seems interested in teaching me is how to win a staring contest....He's pretty good at it though..." He says with a laugh.

"Oh yeah! I'm sure he'll want to say hi, Professor! C'mon out, Blinky!" With that he activates the pokeball already in his hand and a tiny fist sized creature appears beside him.

"Eyeball!" it declares, as it looks around with 4 tiny eye stalks it's main eye widening as it takes in the professor "Eyeball!" It declares again before zooming rapidly over to him, nuzzling much as one might imagine a floating feline....

industrious
2009-12-13, 10:00 PM
"You would begin going north to Viridian City. You probably should try to blend in with the other trainers; if somebody really is behind this mass movement of Pokemon, then I'd rather not have them know someone's caught onto their game." The professor looks at Blinky.

"Oh, hello, little one. Would you like some candy? Now, where did I put it...no...no...no, not there, those are my vitamins...that's my control sample...here we are...a tasty little treat for a growing pokemon."

Cogwheel
2009-12-14, 11:48 PM
"Viridian city, you say?" Silas had been there before, oddly enough - more than once, in fact. It was a good city, and he tended to gravitate back there, every once in a while. The population had the same problems as ever, sure enough, but that was true everywhere.

"Consider it done, than. Do we have some means of contacting you, should we find anything?"

Acheron, meanwhile, is focusing a somewhat disgusted glare at the eyeball. After a time, he holds his claws up and shrugs a little, as if to ask "what is the world coming to?"

"Good grief.. why? A beholder reject? Really? No good for anything but repeating its name, either.. idiot. You've got a problem when the rotting corpse starts to look classy, you know. 'Least I don't have stuffing in place of a brain. I swear, no one in the right mind would keep one of those... ah, wait. Carry on."

Eurus
2009-12-15, 03:54 AM
Stergan had never been to Viridian City, but had planned to visit it soon anyway, thanks to its convenient location. "Yes, I also would be glad to help."

In response to Acheron's rather hypocritical disgust, Stergan only rolls his eyes. "What is that saying you use? Talking corpses who live in glass houses should not throw stones?"

Cogwheel
2009-12-15, 07:29 AM
"Alright, fair point... I've always been a pretty terrible shot anyway. Why do you think I have these?" At this, the ghoul raises its claws, running one down a wall.

"Honestly, you were easier to deal with when you were polite. What happened to you, hm?" Silas, meanwhile, gives Stergan a silent, but apologetic look. Apparently, there is little he can do to silence the ghoul.

Eurus
2009-12-15, 01:07 PM
Stergan only chuckles, apparently not minding. "I stopped being polite, my little friend, when I realized that your bark is worse than your bite."

atriusnight
2009-12-15, 09:54 PM
The trainer seems on the verge of taking offense as the undead abomination insults his aberration, but he shakes his head with a grin "Well, if we're going to Viridian City as a bunch of trainers, you'll see him prove his worth a couple times over a certain cannibal corpse...."

Meanwhile, Blinky is happily crunching on the pokesnack the professor has given it....

industrious
2009-12-15, 09:58 PM
As you exit Pallet Town, the road to Viridian City lies before you. It isn't a proper road, merely a well-beaten dirt path, but it suffices. On either end lie waist-high patches of wild grass; prime ground for wild Pokemon attacks. The road twists and turns northward.

Cogwheel
2009-12-16, 04:36 AM
Acheron tags along at the back of the group, muttering something to himself all the while. Some sort of near-silent rant about, among other things, lack of respect and showing them all. Silas, meanwhile, cautiously remains near the middle, casting his gaze through the grass nearby. All the while, strange, inhuman voices whisper and chitter about him, the speakers remaining completely invisible. Something is watching over the kobold, and it does not seem to be of this world.

Spot check, in case anything is there.

One for Silas [roll0]...

And one for Acheron [roll1]

atriusnight
2009-12-16, 05:08 PM
The eager trainer had volunteered to take point, he and his pokemon, floating at his shoulder, were all eyes (literaly in Blinky's case) as they walked through the tall grass.

T.K.[roll0]
Blinky[roll1]
and yes, the 'human' does have a higher racial spot modifier than the beholderkin

industrious
2009-12-16, 06:06 PM
Archeron

You see the grass rustling to your left, and you know something is there.

Blinky and TK

Out of the corner of your eye, you see something in the grass. It's small, fast, and you see something red on its back.

Cogwheel
2009-12-17, 12:58 AM
"Hold on. Something's in there," the ghoul mutters, padding towards the grass. "How..."

"Just trust me," he hisses quietly. "You've got no right to complain when carrion can see better than you. Stay back here.. all of you. I might need a little backup soon."

With this, Acheron begins sneaking towards the source of the movement, silent and invisible - or so he hopes, at any rate. His claws are outstretched, moving the grass aside in search of whatever creature passed through this place. The movements, in short, of a hunter.

Sending Acheron over there, as he appears to be the group's stealth specialist (no, he cannot get rid of traps for you). Though now that I look, Silas is marginally stealthier, if not actually good at the whole "being quiet" part of it.

[roll0] Hide
[roll1] Move Silently

If the roller tries to kill me, I called it.

Edit: What did I tell you?

Eurus
2009-12-17, 01:01 AM
Stergan seems taken aback by Acheron's sudden warning, but trusts him. Strangely, he seems to crouch down slightly in anticipation, almost as if he was prepared to wrestle a pokemon to the ground himself... He does pull out a pokeball, though.

atriusnight
2009-12-17, 04:42 PM
"Yeah, we see it..." T.K. says as the ghoul motions the rest to stillness. Though he frowns as the undead stalks ahead alone....

"Blinky, follow carefully....It's quick..." He whispers pointing above head level, his low voice cuing the small aberration which replies with a subdued "Eyeball." before following the ghoul some distance from the ground, just above the tops of the grass.....

As the pokemon head off, the trainer pauses to think...wondering precisely what sort of creature they faced...

fast, small, and red...? flash-mite? Really big spider? Undead disembodied reindeer nose? Can I roll an information (I have Arcana, Dugeoneering, Religeon, Nature, and The Planes)? or should I just be patient since it will show itself shortly.....?
Hide [roll0] It helps to be small
Move Silently [roll1] +any circumstance bonus due to a creature that's not even touching the ground.....

industrious
2009-12-17, 06:25 PM
Knowledge(nature) or (arcane) will do.

atriusnight
2009-12-17, 06:28 PM
Ooh! Coolsers...
Knowledge Arcana [roll0]
Also, slightly editing my previous post...

industrious
2009-12-17, 08:46 PM
What T.K manages to deduce:

The spot on its back means that it is a magical beast known as a Bloodsilk spider. Their webs drain the blood from ensnared victims, and the spider's spot increases as such. They are ambush predators, patient and cunning. And definitely not in their natural habitat.

Everybody make another Spot check, as well as a reflex save.

atriusnight
2009-12-17, 09:35 PM
"Err, Wait!" The trainer starts to say....a moment too late.....

Drat, pity I didn't figure that out before we sent them into it's web
Atrius Spot[roll0]
Blinky Spot[roll1]
Atrius Reflex[roll2]
Blinky Reflex[roll3]
Wasn't sure if you meant just the lead pokemon or everyone on the reflex so I rolled for both of us.

Eurus
2009-12-17, 09:41 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

(Can't say much IC when I don't know what we're saving against, so... yeah. :smallbiggrin:)

industrious
2009-12-17, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately, TK's warning comes too late, even for himself. With the sole exception of Blinky, everybody has been captured by sheets of slick red webbing. Then comes the sound of scuttling feet, and you know that the spiders are coming.

Everybody with the exception of Blinky is entangled. Nobody can move. You can attempt to escape the webbing by various means, though. On your turn.

Initiative:
Spiders:[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Cogwheel
2009-12-18, 12:03 AM
Initiative, as I'm apparently supposed to roll here.

Silas [roll0]
Acheron [roll1]

atriusnight
2009-12-19, 01:10 AM
Yay Blinky! Err, to bad the rest of the party is being eaten alive, though....
Atrius Initiative [roll0]
Blinky Initiative [roll1]

industrious
2009-12-19, 07:50 PM
Order:

Spider 1
TK
Stergan
Spider 2
Spider 3
Archeron
Silas
Blinky

The webbing around TK begins to contract, dealing him [roll0] damage. From the grass, you get your first look at the spider. It's huge; the size of a small dog, with a giant red swollen spot on its back. As the red webbing contracts, that spot swells, pulsating grotesquely along its back. Charging towards TK, it attacks with a vicious-looking bite.

Attack:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2][1]

atriusnight
2009-12-20, 12:21 PM
"Argh!" The young trainer cries as the web contracts, a sentiment echoed moments later when the spider sinks it's mandibles into his leg... "Big mistake bug....." He says before a gout of flames issues from his mouth targeting the Arachanid.

As the Bloodsilk Spider tries to dodge his fiery exhalation he calls up to the sky, "Blinky! Zap the web with your FrostBeam."

15ft cone Fire breath [roll0] Reflex for half
will try to catch as many other spiders in it as possible, but the one theat bit me is the primary target.
Blinky's Eye Ray (to hit the web which should be relatively easy) [roll1] Damage [roll2]
Was my knowledge check enough to know if the webs are flammable? and how much so? Also will Cold deal any damage to it? (May reverse targets depending on answers, a little minor scorching would be worth it for freedom).
Question, how immobilized are we? Just stuck in these spots? Restricted arm motions? Totally?

Eurus
2009-12-20, 01:06 PM
Stergan snarls at the spider, and enlarges the pokeball in his hand to full size. "Come, my partner!" he shouts as the ball opens to release its contents, "attack!"

By the time that the red glow around the released pokemon fades, it is replaced by a bright flash of multicolored light that envelops the spider. This too fades quickly, revealing... a tropical bird, no larger than a pigeon. Its feathers were a gorgeous array of colors, but it looked completely harmless other than the showers of chaotic light that it was emitting every few seconds.

Meanwhile, to cement this contrast between man and pokemon, Stergan throws off his cloak to reveal a second pair of translucent, ephemeral arms beneath the first. Each of the four arms held a set of retractable claws, which now extended menacingly, and a thick belt of purple scales was wrapped around his waist.

Actions/OOC:
Stergan summons Chroma, who appears above the spiders and tries to catch all of them (or as many as possible) in the 15-foot cone of its color spray. Will DC is 16, and failure results in being unconscious, blinded, and stunned for [roll0] rounds, then blinded and stunned for [roll1] rounds, and then stunned for 1 round.

Then Stergan... just kind of tries to look intimidating. :smallbiggrin:

industrious
2009-12-21, 06:32 PM
You only see one spider for now.
Will Save:[roll0]

The lone spider is knocked to the floor due to the blinding array of color.

industrious
2009-12-23, 10:58 AM
You are stuck in those spots; can't move, and you have the entangled condition. They are immune to fire, but not to cold. The first spider failed its save, but it's still alive. The red spot is noticeably smaller, though.

The other two spiders emerge from the grass, and they spray webbing at Blinky and . Everybody else's webs contract as well, dealing [roll0] to Acheron and Silas, and [roll1] to Stergan, and their personal red spots increase to match.

Touch Attack(Blinky):[roll2]
Touch Attack(Chroma):[roll3]

Archeron's turn.

Cogwheel
2009-12-23, 04:06 PM
"Spiders. Of all the bloody things we could run into, I get spiders. Just my luck, just my luck..."

The ghoul seems as though he is about to make a move, but remembers something, and halts for a moment. Silas, meanwhile, makes no effort to escape the web - that, apparently, can wait. His eyes close - or rather, a pair of reptilian inner eyelids close over them. Smoke pours forth from the ground, slowly at first, in coiling tendrils. Soon, they collect into a cloud above Silas, grey and shapeless, shifting constantly... for a time, at any rate.

The cloud, after a time, coalesces into a more easily recognizable form. Small shapes - vipers, lizards, newts and the like - drift away from the whole, floating about and hissing quietly, before being brought together in the shape of a large, flaming salamander - the flames are in no way real, yet a strange sort of heat radiates off them all the same. This, too, changes, giving way to a dull grey dragon head. It opens its mouth and, against all expectations, does not roar.

Instead, a quiet, tranquil hiss gives way to a tuneless song, almost organic in quality - it seems to grow and shift by itself, each wordless verse giving way to a new one that had not existed before. In some strange way, the song itself seems alive. Alive, yet sedate, tranquil and calming... for the most part. A quiet song of focus, but a battle chant all the same. Acheron grins to himself as his claws - much like the armaments, natural or not, of those around him - burst into translucent spectral flames.

"About time. Shame it won't work on the webs... Alright, try to off those spiders before they get carried away and kill us. Simple enough? Good."

With that, he brings his claws down on the web strands and, with much muttering and complaints regarding the taste - desperate measures were called for, after all - rips through them with his fangs.

Dragonfire Inspiration! 1d6 fire damage on all attacks for anyone who can hear it and is friendly. Yes, this includes all your natural attacks. Take note, Stregan. Really, take note.

Unfortunately, this does nothing against the fireproof (and, apparently, logicproof) webs. Still, it should be handy later. Not sure if Acheron needs to make a strength check or attack rolls against the web to break it, so I'll roll both.

Bite[roll0]
Claw [roll1]
Claw 2 [roll2]

Bite damage [roll3]
Claw damage [roll4]
Claw 2 damage [roll5]

Strength check [roll6]

industrious
2009-12-23, 04:12 PM
webs are fireproof because they're soaked in blood. Bloodsilk, remember?

You can attack the web, or attempt a Strength check. Or try to escape the web.

atriusnight
2009-12-30, 02:05 AM
OOC;
Oops, just realized I was next....
Blinky's already rolled his attack, I'm not sure if a ten hits (or if he really even needs to roll to hit) his webbing but if so he's already rolled his damage as well.
Guess it's Spider 1's turn again...

industrious
2010-01-05, 09:16 AM
TK's bindings tighten even further [roll0], and the spider attempts to bite him once more.

[roll1]
[roll2]

The unconcious spider's legs twitch a little bit.

atriusnight
2010-01-05, 07:54 PM
This time the trainer doesn't waste time with retorts instead simply inhaling deeply and sharing his pain with the eight legged little fiend that had bit him and any of it's buddies could catch in the 15ft fan of flame. Breathing a hard both from pain as well as anger he calls out, "Now bite! Then Freeze! Keep biting and freezing, Blinky!"

Was there any luck with Blinky shooting the webbing? Since he was caught he probably would have shot his own web.

Also did the spider make it's DC 13 reflex save last round.

And speaking of DC 13 reflex saves, here's another(for half)... Fire Breath[roll0]

industrious
2010-01-05, 08:22 PM
The Ray of Frost is having an effect; the web just hasn't broken up yet. Sorry for not including it in the prior turn.

The spider failed it's reflex save last turn. This time around: [roll0]

Eurus
2010-01-10, 01:15 PM
Stergan rends brutally at the webs entangling him, his claws shrouded in flame that regrettably fails to burn the webs. He roars with fury, an almost bestial sound. While he is preoccupied, Chroma continues to circle overhead, showering the spiders with a dizzying array of colors.

OOC/Actions:
Sorry, had computer problems for a while. And I always forget whose turn it is. >_>

Anyway, Stergan is full attacking the webs on him. I won't bother with the fire damage, since the webs are immune.
[roll0]; [roll1]
[roll2]; [roll3]
[roll4]; [roll5]
[roll6]; [roll7]

If he breaks the webs, he'll move up to engage one of the conscious spiders.

And Chroma will color spray as many conscious spiders as he can in one 15-foot cone. Will DC 16, anyone who fails is stunned (and various other effects) for [roll8] rounds.

Cogwheel
2010-01-11, 02:16 PM
Much like Stregan, Silas and Acheron continue to tear away at their bonds - Silas, rather than drawing a weapon of any sort, elects to use a pair of alarmingly sharp claws instead, far larger than one might expect from a creature of his size. Digging tools, perhaps. He soon thinks better of this, however, and simply tries to escape from the web rather than destroy it.

Silas's escape artist check [roll0]

Acheron
claw roll 1 [roll1]
claw roll 2 [roll2]
bite roll [roll3]

Claw damage 1 [roll4]
Claw damage 2 [roll5]
Bite damage [roll6]

Edit: You know what I hate? The RNG.

industrious
2010-01-15, 08:25 AM
[roll0]

Oddly enough, the two spiders make their Will Saves, unaffected by the colors.

Said two spiders tighten their webs around everybody except TK and Blinky. Damage on OOC thread. Strangely enough, though, they don't attack this turn.

industrious
2010-02-21, 01:44 PM
There is a sound like thunder, and T-K and Blinky mysteriously vanish. Two of the spiders, sensing something on the other side of the long grass, bound away, flattening the grass in their wake. After a few moments, you can see a single figure battling what appears to be some sort of bee-baboon-thing. Great.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-21, 02:40 PM
Mike

The person you see looks like a Human wearing black travelling clothes and boots. Then you see he has a pair of curling ram's horns growing out of his skull.

"Die already you bastard! Zay'heln, break him!"

With that his Pokemon will lash at the creature with it's tentacles as he fires a crossbow bolt at it.

-----------------------
Mike Init: [roll0]
Poke Init: [roll1]

Poke Touch Attack: [roll2] / Damage: 1 Wis Damage
(If Full-Attack is allowed) [roll3] / Damage: 1 Wis Damage.

Mike Attack: [roll4] / Damage: [roll5]

My Pokemon is the little one in the front. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83022.jpg)

Eurus
2010-02-21, 02:51 PM
"Monkey...bees?" Stergan seems completely confused as he takes note of the stranger and his fight, but decides that he really doesn't need to understand and goes back to trying to shred his way out of the webbing while Chroma continues its strafing run.

Stergan Init
Chroma Init

industrious
2010-02-25, 06:50 PM
The thing buzzes its wings angrily, and an angry looking gash appears on its side; the bolt apparently only skimming off it.

Eurus
2010-02-25, 10:55 PM
(Oops, didn't even notice that I messed up the roll.)

[roll0]
[roll1]