PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Berserk Monk
2009-11-30, 11:42 PM
A little biological question for those of you who are more educated in science than I am. I read somewhere (I'm not gonna say the book because it's not crucial (it was not a biology textbook though)) that the only living tissue we see when we look at someone is the eye. The top layer of skin, the nails, hair: it's all dead tissue but the eye is the only living tissue we see when we look at each other. I just want to fact check this piece of information

golentan
2009-11-30, 11:53 PM
A little biological question for those of you who are more educated in science than I am. I read somewhere (I'm not gonna say the book because it's not crucial (it was not a biology textbook though)) that the only living tissue we see when we look at someone is the eye. The top layer of skin, the nails, hair: it's all dead tissue but the eye is the only living tissue we see when we look at each other. I just want to fact check this piece of information

Not quite true. For an undamaged human being with their mouth closed though, it's close enough. The mouth contains living tissue (most notably the tongue). But yes, the upper layer of skin is dead, and hair and nails are actually not even cellular (being made from the same material as horn, I don't recall the proper name).

Alteran
2009-11-30, 11:54 PM
Yes, the outside layer of skin is dead, as are nails and hair. However, living skin lies right under the visible layer.

The eyes would be the living tissue we see most often, but it's probably not all you'll see during a conversation. I'm pretty sure that the inside surfaces of the mouth are alive, and the gums and tongue definitely are. I believe all mucous membranes are alive, so that also includes the nostrils. You probably see slivers of those when you look at somebody's face.

But yes, the upper layer of skin is dead, and hair and nails are actually not even cellular (being made from the same material as horn, I don't recall the proper name).

It's keratin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratin).

Berserk Monk
2009-11-30, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the answers, {Scrubbed} but I got the answer I need so again thanks.

Pyrian
2009-12-01, 12:29 AM
It's really not true at all. Flesh is translucent, by and large. You can easily see upper veins right through your skin. The color of somebody's skin is probably more living tissue than dead tissue, as the dead layer is quite thin.

SDF
2009-12-01, 12:33 AM
It's really not true at all. Flesh is translucent, by and large. You can easily see upper veins right through your skin. The color of somebody's skin is probably more living tissue than dead tissue, as the dead layer is quite thin.

This is another reason that dead skin flaking off looks by and large the same regardless of race. There isn't as much pigment in the top dead dermal layer.

Demonia
2009-12-06, 01:50 AM
Not quite true. For an undamaged human being with their mouth closed though, it's close enough. The mouth contains living tissue (most notably the tongue). But yes, the upper layer of skin is dead, and hair and nails are actually not even cellular (being made from the same material as horn, I don't recall the proper name).

It's called Keritan, the nails are hard Keritan and our hair is soft Keritan. (Not sure spelling is right.)
the lips are actually live tissue as well...i'm pretty certain. :smallconfused:

thubby
2009-12-06, 09:15 AM
you see a lot of living stuff through the dead stuff.

and isn't the pink part of your nail alive?

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 11:22 AM
you see a lot of living stuff through the dead stuff.

and isn't the pink part of your nail alive?

The quick (spelling?) is alive, yes. It definitely bleeds when you cut it.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-12-06, 02:43 PM
I get a lot of shallow cuts to my fingers due to terrible craft knife skills and never bleed unless I accidently stab myself.

I guess there's just no need for blood vessels on the layers that get damaged.

the geekish one
2009-12-06, 04:02 PM
I get a lot of shallow cuts to my fingers due to terrible craft knife skills and never bleed unless I accidently stab myself.

I guess there's just no need for blood vessels on the layers that get damaged.

The quick is actually under the nail, but yeah, shallow cuts don't make most people bleed very much.