PDA

View Full Version : Just Ideas...

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-01, 12:18 AM
I'm running an 8th level Steelbrow(Silverbrow w/ Resistance instead of Feather Fall) human Samurai (hybridized, taking both OA's and CW's class features). I like how he's going, but I feel he could use a revamp.

Any Feat Ideas? He uses no armor, and weilds a wooden katana constantly under Ironwood spell. Basically, he's a Kenshin Himura/Mushashi Miyamoto-type

And any Prestige class ideas/Multiclass ideas?

Any ideas are much obliged. :)

acedrow
2009-12-01, 12:23 AM
Martial Maneuvers! Take some levels in warblade!

WeeFreeMen
2009-12-01, 12:33 AM
Kenshin kinda screams Iijitsu Master (sp?).
Thats my thoughts for PrC.
As for feats.. since your CW/OA Samurai, mine as well aim for wep spec.
Unless your gonna power game it, other than that, Im low on ideas.
I actually woulda taken Samurai for flavor and wep, but gone Focotum/Warblade for Int synergy, plus IM has good Int synergy.

Just my thoughts.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-01, 12:34 AM
In before "full caster".

Warblade is a good option.

jiriku
2009-12-01, 01:39 AM
Samurai/warblade is actually a pretty nice multi-class combo. I'd say you want to aim for master of nine, which is an "ultimate swordsman" prestige class that I think would suit your tastes pretty well. OA samurai 2/warblade 11/master of nine 5/warblade +2 makes an excellent master swordsman. You can enchant your ancestral weapons, fight with both sword and fist, you have mastered maneuvers from every discipline of martial power, and you end with four 9th-level maneuvers.

Taking the two levels of OA samurai first will give you a higher initiator level going into warblade, which means you'll be able to choose better stances at warblade 4 and warblade 10. You could technically get into Mo9 before 14th level, but deferring it allows you to choose higher-level maneuvers and stances - including two 9th level maneuvers from any discipline at Mo9 5, which will double your total number of 9th level maneuvers known.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-01, 01:46 AM
Samurai/warblade is actually a pretty nice multi-class combo. I'd say you want to aim for master of nine, which is an "ultimate swordsman" prestige class that I think would suit your tastes pretty well. OA samurai 2/warblade 11/master of nine 5/warblade +2 makes an excellent master swordsman. You can enchant your ancestral weapons, fight with both sword and fist, you have mastered maneuvers from every discipline of martial power, and you end with four 9th-level maneuvers.

Taking the two levels of OA samurai first will give you a higher initiator level going into warblade, which means you'll be able to choose better stances at warblade 4 and warblade 10. You could technically get into Mo9 before 14th level, but deferring it allows you to choose higher-level maneuvers and stances - including two 9th level maneuvers from any discipline at Mo9 5, which will double your total number of 9th level maneuvers known.

I generally agree, except for the Samurai part. :smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-01, 02:52 AM
Intimidate effects are good to have, especially with the CW version's Staredown abilities. Better yet, see if you can adapt the Zhentarim Soldier substitution levels (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/champions_of_valor.zip) to your Samurai character, reflavoring it for your current organization. The feat Imperious Command in Drow of the Underdark is absolutely necessary for any character making use of the demoralize action, since it basically doubles your duration. There's also the skill trick Never Outnumbered in Complete Scoundrel, though it becomes redundant once you get Mass Staredown.

arguskos
2009-12-01, 03:05 AM
I generally agree, except for the Samurai part. :smalltongue:
That's why his post includes the note about it being the OA, or Oriental Adventures, Samurai, a class that is actually playable. :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2009-12-01, 05:02 AM
Actually, his post says his character has all the class features of both the OA samurai, and the CW samurai.

Emmerask
2009-12-01, 05:05 AM
I'm running an 8th level Steelbrow(Silverbrow w/ Resistance instead of Feather Fall) human Samurai (hybridized, taking both OA's and CW's class features). I like how he's going, but I feel he could use a revamp.

Any Feat Ideas? He uses no armor, and weilds a wooden katana constantly under Ironwood spell. Basically, he's a Kenshin Himura/Mushashi Miyamoto-type

And any Prestige class ideas/Multiclass ideas?

Any ideas are much obliged. :)

If you want to use that wooden katana forever kensai (prc complete warrior) could give this wooden sword some nice extra powers ;)

Doc Roc
2009-12-01, 05:42 AM
Erm, would you taking Kensai? The Ancestral Whoosit class feature of OA samurai is basically the same darn thing. Pick yourself up Mercantile background for some out of combat utility and some EWL breakage, and then get a pair of sunblades eventually, and call them Sun Katanas. You'll be able to actually not be wretched (sorta).

PrCs.... May I commend to you the Dread Commando PrC?

I out.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-02, 12:07 AM
So in the long & short, be a weapon master of the katana, since I dont have a washizashi and go either/or Kensai/Iaijutsu master.

I'm assuming Ronin sux and that any other prestiges would be fruitless.

What about a class like Knight? the Challenge effect could play nicely, considering I am a katana duelist. Or I had considered Dragon Samurai as a prestige class.

I also like the warblade/Master of the 9 idea. The swordsmaster, and a samurai to boot!

Eldariel
2009-12-02, 12:15 AM
Ronin is actually fairly good; Banzai Charge + Shock Trooper = no AC, insane damage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-02, 01:39 AM
I'd get just one level of Exotic Weapon Master for Uncanny Blow. Use your Katana two-handed and get twice your Str bonus to damage instead of one and a half, and you'll be much better at Power Attackng than you would with TWF.

Doc Roc
2009-12-02, 03:10 AM
Ronin is much better than kensai in most situations, actually, ironically.