PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Q: Retaining Buffs and Abilities Within an Antimagic Field

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-01, 01:31 AM
I was considering a The Big Guy Is With Me build, and it has one glaring weakness: antimagic field. A 6th level spell that can negate even an epic-level character is just a bit too much to swallow.

I would normally just use my tinfoil hat trick to neuter AMFs, but that doesn't work so well on a psicrystal that will probably end up being larger than the hat during most fights anyway (I don't think I want it lugging around a Colossal+ sized dome, and a psicrystal with a hat would just look silly).

I seem to recall that there's an item (a weapon enhancement, maybe?) that gives blanket immunity to a single spell...or perhaps a feat that I could give to the aforesaid psicrystal to allow it to retain its be-buffed status inside such a horribly-thought-out spell effect.

I know spell turning won't work (it's SR: no), counterspelling isn't an option, dispelling doesn't do so well against AMFs, there's no psionic disjunction, and the psicrystal loses all forms of movement within an AMF, so there's no "just move 10 ft and run away" once caught.

Any suggestions for a level 20 character? Much obliged, I assure you.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-01, 01:42 AM
The weapon enhancement is spellblade, from Forgotten Realms...but alas, it can only protect against targeted spells.

Haven
2009-12-01, 01:56 AM
Tinfoil hat trick?

If you take Martial Study twice you can grab Iron Heart Surge, which should work (check with your DM first, though). You'd have to be affected by the field before you could disable it, though, but you could just let your psicrystal charge in after you get rid of it.

Eldariel
2009-12-01, 02:00 AM
Tinfoil hat trick?

Shrink Item on a huge Tinfoil Hat you wear; if you end up in an AMF, the hat is subjected to it and grows to its normal size, blocking the Line of Effect to you.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-01, 02:02 AM
The weapon enhancement is spellblade, from Forgotten Realms...but alas, it can only protect against targeted spells.Crud.

Thanks, though.

Tinfoil hat trick?The idea was originally made of tinfoil specifically to counter AMFs, but has since moved to sturdier substances for other types of protection.

But, basically, it's a Large (for a Medium character) dome or cone made from wood, mithral, darkwood, or some other lightweight, sturdy material that has been affected by shrink item, and is then worn as a hat. Consider what happens to a spell effect when it enters an AMF...

*GrumbleDamnNinjasGrumble* :smalltongue:

If you take Martial Study twice you can grab Iron Heart Surge, which should work (check with your DM first, though). You'd have to be affected by the field before you could disable it, though, but you could just let your psicrystal charge in after you get rid of it.That'd be a great idea (especially for the psicrystal itself to have, since, yes, it does gain feats), except I'm fairly sure iron heart surge has specifically been banned...which, of course, sucks.

Thanks, though.

Malacode
2009-12-01, 02:14 AM
Feat: Initiate of Mystra. PGtF, I think, or perhaps MoF. Allows you to cast in an AMF, so any buffs you have when entering one should remain. Not sure what happens with Spell-likes and Supernatural abilities though, but it should work for them too.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-01, 02:17 AM
Feat: Initiate of Mystra. PGtF, I think, or perhaps MoF. Allows you to cast in an AMF, so any buffs you have when entering one should remain. Not sure what happens with Spell-likes and Supernatural abilities though, but it should work for them too.I need to get my hands on a copy of PGtF. What are the prereqs on that?

Eldariel
2009-12-01, 02:19 AM
I need to get my hands on a copy of PGtF. What are the prereqs on that?

The obvious: Mystra as patron deity, and a 3rd level Cleric.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-01, 02:39 AM
The obvious: Mystra as patron deity, and a 3rd level Cleric.Ah. The psicrystal is unlikely to worship Mystra (when you see your maker on a daily basis, theology becomes considerably easier), and the psion isn't taking cleric levels.

Any way I can BS my way into taking this feat somehow?

Alternately, other suggestions?

Eldariel
2009-12-01, 03:11 AM
Ah. The psicrystal is unlikely to worship Mystra (when you see your maker on a daily basis, theology becomes considerably easier), and the psion isn't taking cleric levels.

Alternately, other suggestions?

Hm, you could use Mind Rape to clear out any conviction problems. And 3 levels of Cleric...well, that's a bit harder. Alternatively, there are always means to gain feats without meeting prerequisites, but that's a good deal harder without excess use of class levels...

Zaq
2009-12-01, 03:17 AM
Would a (psionic) Contingency help? It wouldn't negate the AMF, but it would get you (relatively) safely away from it.

Killer Angel
2009-12-01, 03:23 AM

mmm...
I've heard that in a Dragon Magazine, there was an article explaining that a DC 40 UMD check will let you Emulate a Specific Individual and that you can pick any individual you know.
But I don't know if you can emulate a specific cleric of Mystra to take and use the feat. Probably that use of UMD was only for purposes of activating a device.

Lycanthromancer
2009-12-01, 03:36 AM
Would a (psionic) Contingency help? It wouldn't negate the AMF, but it would get you (relatively) safely away from it.Well, I plan on having my fission'd psion double-manifesting on their shared psicrystal from a safe distance away, and can psionic dimension door it away at any time, but I want my (not so) little pet rock to be able to PSICRYSTAL CRUSH things in a very personal and very uncomfortable manner. This is difficult to do when every time it tries to hit something it turns into a tiny little hunk of crystal.

Maybe I should turn it into something ginormous and give it a Colossal reach weapon, and d.door it away immediately thereafter?

Zaq
2009-12-01, 04:35 AM
Can Reality Revision end an AMF? It doesn't explicitly say it can, but then, none of the Wish-analogues really follow the normal rules. It's drastic, but...

Emmerask
2009-12-01, 05:00 AM
Hmm silver fire would be the best choice sadly your crystal would need to be one of mystras chosen... which seems unlikely.

I would worry much more about dead magic zones then amfs in epic level campaigns ^^

lord_khaine
2009-12-01, 05:33 AM
this sounds more like something thats going to be used in a arena?