PDA

View Full Version : Where there is an Initiate, there must also be a Master [3.5]

Icarus
2009-12-01, 04:35 AM
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've recently taken over a long-time running campaign that a sort of ex buddy of mine used to DM, and since I've taken a place behind the screen my imagination has sort of been running wild with ideas to continue the campaign.
What follows here is an Epic spellcasting PrC, designed to build on the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil from the Complete Arcane.
I tried to build on the concept the Initiate started, but instead focused on the offensive properties prismatic effects offer rather than the defensive, since the Initiate did a pretty good job of that.
So without further ado, clicky the spoiler button.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/006/1/a/goddamn_quest___novel_cover_by_tahra.jpg
The Master of the Sevenfold Veil
{table=head]Level|Special|Spells

1st|Kaleidoscopic doom 1/day, Warding 1/day|+1 caster level
2nd| Empowered Dispelling |+1 caster level
3rd|Iridescence|+1 caster level
4th|Bonus Feat|+1 caster level
5th| Kaleidoscopic doom 2/day, Warding 2/day |+1 caster level
6th|Radiance|+1 caster level
7th|Still as a Moon-lit Night|+1 caster level
8th|Bonus Feat|+1 caster level
9th|Natural Lighting|+1 caster level
10th| Refraction, Kaleidoscopic doom 3/day, Warding 3/day|+1 caster level[/table]

Requirements
To qualify to become a Master of the Sevenfold Veil, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 24 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 24 ranks.
Feats: Epic Spell Focus (abjuration), Greater Spell Focus (abjuration), Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (abjuration).
Spells: Able to cast at least 10 abjurations spells, including prismatic wall and prismatic sphere.
Special:Complete Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil Prestige Class

Class Skills
The Master of the Sevenfold Veil's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Master of the Sevenfold Veil prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Masters of the Sevenfold Veil gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spellcasting: At each level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as the bonus feats gained by a wizard). If she had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Master of the Sevenfold Veil, she must decide to which to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Warding (Sp):A Master of the Sevenfold Veil's warding ability works exactly like the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil ability. She can choose one veil she knows (see Complete Arcane pg. 45) to be imbued in the warding. A warding lasts for a certain amount of time as indicated in its description (Master of the Sevenfold Veil levels stack with Initiate for this purpose), unless it is dismissed (the same way a spell is dismissed; see page 176 of the Player’s Handbook). When she creates a warding, she can choose one
of three types listed in the Complete Arcane.

Kaleidoscopic Doom (Sp): As outlined in the Complete Arcane pg. 45
At 1st level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains an additional use per day of kaleidoscopic doom. As a standard action, she designates one creature within 60 feet and turns magical effects currently affecting the creature against it.
This effect functions like a targeted greater dispel magic, except that for every spell or effect negated on the target, the effect of one veil (see Complete Arcane pg. 45) is visited on the victim as if the subject had crossed it. The veils created around the victim proceed through the spectrum from red to violet, with one veil activated per spell negated. Thus, a creature with three spells negated would be subject to the effects of the red, orange, and yellow veils. The subject is still entitled to the normal saving throws allowed by each veil. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level
spell.
The Master of the Sevenfold Veil can invoke this ability one additional time per day starting at 1st level, 5th level and every five levels thereafter.

Empowered Dispelling: Beginning at 2nd level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil adds her class level to the caster level maximum of dispel checks. For example, a 5th-level Veil Master can add up to +25 to all dispel checks made with greater dispel magic.

Iridescence: At 3rd level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains the ability to weave prismatic effects into her dispels. Any time Dispel magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Reaving Dispel, etc. is cast, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil can choose to imbue it with a prismatic effect. (Roll 1d8 to determine which effect takes place. Reroll 8s.) The DC for the prismatic effects is equal to the level of the spell used.

Bonus Feat: At 4th, 8th, and every four levels thereafter, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains a bonus feat, chosen from the Master of the Sevenfold Veil bonus feat list.

Silent as a Sunbeam: At 4th level a Master of the Sevenfold veil adds the Silent Spell metamagic feat to her Prismatic spells and spells with the [Light] descriptor with no increase in spell level.

Radiance: At 6th level a Master of the Sevenfold Veil taps into extra power when she uses her prismatic spells (Including Initiate and Master of the Sevenfold Veil class abilities). Any numeric effect of a prismatic spell that the Master casts is empowered, as per the Empower Spell feat. (For instance if someone is hit by the yellow effect of a prismatic spell, it deals 120 points of electricity damage instead of 80.) The save DC for any spell with a prismatic effect also adds +2 to its DC.

Still as a Moonlit Night:A 7th level Master of the Sevenfold Veil is able to cast her prismatic spells with but a thought, no longer needing to weave the complex symbols normally associated with casting them. She adds the still spell feat to her Prismatic and [Light] descriptor spells with no increase in spell level.

Natural Lighting: At 9th Level Master of the Sevenfold Veil weaves ambient light into her Prismatic Spells. In bright light (such as in the area of a daylight spell) and natural light, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil's prismatic spells become Spell Resistance: No

Refraction: At 10th level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil unlocks new powers in the Prismatic Spectrum. 3/day + spellcasting mod, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil can exchange the original Prismatic effects list, including her wardings and Kaleidoscopic Doom for the following:
This ability must be announced upon casting of the spell.

{table=head]Color|Effect
Red|15d6 Fire damage, reflex half
Orange|6d6 Acid damage (reflex half, and 6d6 the following 2 rounds on a failed save |
Yellow|Disintegrate, fort partial
Green|Poison (Death; Fort Partial 1d10 damage to random stat.)
Blue|Glass Strike (SpC), Fort negates
Indigo|Feeblemind; Will negates
Violet|Blackfire (SpC)
[/table]

Master of the Sevenfold Veil Bonus Feat List: Augmented Alchemy, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Combat Casting, Enhance Spell, Epic Counterspell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Prismatic Power*, Spell Focus, Spell Knowledge, Spell Mastery, Spell Penetration, Spell Stowaway, Spontaneous Spell, Tenacious Magic.

* New feat, see below.

PRISMATIC POWER [Epic]
Your prismatic effects are so strong that they overcome most resistances.
Benefits: Your prismatic abilities completely ignore any resistance to their effects that a creature possesses, including energy resistance and bonuses on saving throws, bypassing such resistances and affecting the target as if she possessed no resistance at all. Targets are still entitled to whatever other defenses the attack allows (such as saving throws and spell resistance).
Creatures normally immune to any of the prismatic effects can be affected by prismatic spells as well. A creature with an immunity to a certain color’s effects takes half damage (or one quarter on a successful save) if the effect is damaging, or gains a +7 bonus on its saving throw if the effect is non-damaging.

The original concept for the prestige class came from one of the earlier reincarnations of Dicefreaks, but it focused more on buffing Kaleidoscopic Doom. I think the only ability that survived from that build is Empowered Dispelling.
I'm aware its on the strong side, but I designed it expecting to trim some of the abilities off, and its powers tend to a fairly specialized line of spells.

My first thought for things that I could trash are the bonus feats, since the class is pretty feature-heavy without them.
Other thoughts are maybe moving Still as a Moonlit Night up the list a little, maybe replacing the bonus feat at 4th.

So, collaborate (and listen) with me. Any suggestions are welcome, be it with the crunch or the fluff.

Ponce
2009-12-01, 05:01 AM
Question: How does epic magic work in your campaigns? Do you use some kind of system where you gain level 10+ spell slots rather than using the (broken as hell) epic spellcasting rules? If so, good on you. Does that mean you do not need the Epic Spellcasting feat?

If the above is not the case, well, why does this epic PrC advance caster level at epic? What for? Further, if you take Epic Spell Focus (Abjuration) at 21st, you can't take Epic Spellcasting then. Which means you can't really get into this class until level 25 - is that intended?

Ability analysis under the cut.

Need to write up the Warding ability to specify what it does (though it should be obvious). I assume it is just additional uses of the original ability.

Kaleidoscopic doom could be simplified to just reference the original ability as well. Also, in the write up, it says you get one additional use at 1st and every 5 levels thereafter. This conflicts with the table, in which you get it at 1st, then 4 levels later, then 5 levels later.

Silent as a Sumbeam is kind of random, but it works. Same with Still as a Moonlit Night. I'm not sure if they're really have much going for them beyond clever names.

Radiance should be rewritten to include Kaleidoscopic doom and the Veils as well.

Natural Lighting may be a touch strong. You've essentially shut down a whole field of defense.

Refraction is interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the meaning behind the chosen effects. Perhaps a total reversal could work? The target is in stead visited upon by (more powerful) versions of the spells that would normally cancel that layer of the prismatic effect.

All in all, I'd say it is a worthy continuation of an awesome class.

Suggestions:
-Expand on the Wards. Maybe offer a Triple Warding ability.
-Give it a new and improved prismatic effects list as well as an altered one. More damage, more serious effects, etc. Maybe power them up one at a time
-Look at the item set "The Seven Veils" in Magic Item Compendium. Could draw some abilities off of that. Perhaps even grant the Master gradual immunity to prismatic effects, and even allow her to bypass them altogether. As in, to be able to cast straight through Violet veil or other things in that vein.
-Make it seven levels long! SEVEN!
-Warding and Kaleidoscopic Doom uses shouldn't be on the same levels. Move them around.

EDIT: ALSO! Perhaps some kind of mystical eighth veil?

Icarus
2009-12-01, 05:35 AM
Question: How does epic magic work in your campaigns? Do you use some kind of system where you gain level 10+ spell slots rather than using the (broken as hell) epic spellcasting rules? If so, good on you. Does that mean you do not need the Epic Spellcasting feat?

If the above is not the case, well, why does this epic PrC advance caster level at epic? What for? Further, if you take Epic Spell Focus (Abjuration) at 21st, you can't take Epic Spellcasting then. Which means you can't really get into this class until level 25 - is that intended?

We're probably just going to use the regular (broken) system. Most of the players aren't aware of the ridiculous stuff, and the ones that are aware just won't do it. The party is currently lv. 15 (...again. long story.) so they aren't up in epic levels quite yet.
All the players are RL friends, and we live really close to each other; and I found, at least with my group that if they have an idea for a future epic spell we can usually work out an acceptable and not ridiculous solution to pull it off.
The advances in caster level are there mainly to show that caster level progression continues through the class. While you may not necessarily gain new spells from advancing, your spells are gaining longer duration, increased resistance to dispelling, and other stuff.

About the feat requirements, that was one of the things I was unsure of when I put all of this down. I may instead just make the Epic Spellcasting feat a requirement for entry to help stave off early entry shenanigans.

Also, thanks for pointing out the things that need to be clarified. I wrote it between bouts of writer's block from school essays, so I didn't pay as much attention to that as I should have. The clarifications and references you suggested will be added at some point later.

Suggestions:
-Expand on the Wards. Maybe offer a Triple Warding ability.
-Give it a new and improved prismatic effects list as well as an altered one. More damage, more serious effects, etc.
Hmm, I'll look into that. More suggestions on this welcome

-Look at the item set "The Seven Veils" in Magic Item Compendium. Could draw some abilities off of that. Perhaps even grant the Master gradual immunity to prismatic effects, and even allow her to bypass them altogether.
This is a nice idea. I didn't give a single thought to something like that.

As in, to be able to cast straight through Violet veil or other things in that vein.
Actually, to everyone's horror, the class was designed with the PC being able to cast through the veils in mind. My friends and I had long discussions about this, and we argued up to the point where I ended up emailing Richard Baker (the guy who wrote the Complete Arcane) about it. According to him, its legit. You can cast through the veils. They're a one way barrier, up to and including spells cast from inside. Nothing gets in, but anything can leave the warding without adverse effect.

Refraction is interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the meaning behind the chosen effects. Perhaps a total reversal could work? The target is in stead visited upon by (more powerful) versions of the spells that would normally cancel that layer of the prismatic effect.

I took ideas from various sources when I chose the new effects. A lot of them came from Morwel, Queen of Stars from the BoED, who has a few "Improved" prismatic spell-like abilities, such as disintegrate for the yellow prismatic effect.

I just tacked on more fire damage for the red layer, made the acid damage potentially beefier for orange. Vitriolic sphere from SpC was where I got the mechanic from. I already said where yellow is from. Green is just a stronger form of the mechanic already in place. Blue is basically the same, I couldn't think of anything better. I opted for Feeblemind as the Indigo effect. It and insanity are sort of on the same theme, and I really like the spell Blackfire (SpC), so instead of doing something like keeping the original effect of the Violet Veil, I went with that. I could possibly change that and make Blackfire part of the "8th veil" you spoke of.

-Make it seven levels long! SEVEN!

I'll probably end up doing that, although if I did I'd want to rework Empowered Dispelling to make sure the assorted dispels stay useful.
Any thoughts on that?

EDIT: Edited to your edit

EDIT: ALSO! Perhaps some kind of mystical eighth veil?
If I go a different direction and not make Refraction the capstone, I'll give that more thought. The character this will be used for specialized in mostly light and dark spells. And because of that I think some powerful "dark" veil would be really cool. The PC is a really strange and wondrous work of player design and DM planning that neither person knew what the other was doing, and the Initiate PrC is being used as more of a "awakening power" type of thing than someone around teaching how to be an Initiate. So thankfully, they are rare (as in there's only one) in this setting.

pffh
2009-12-01, 08:58 PM
I would cut out the bonus feat levels and then try to get one more ability/level out to keep with the 7 theme of the initiate.

Icarus
2009-12-01, 10:03 PM
I reworked the build a little. Compare, contrast, etc.

Master of the Sevenfold Veil
{table=head]Level|Special|Spectrum Attunement|Spells

1st|Warding 1/day, Empowered Dispelling|Red|+1 Caster Level
2nd|Iridesence, Superb Warding|Orange|+1 Caster Level
3rd|Radiance, Kaleidoscopic Doom 1/day|Yellow|+1 Caster Level
4th|Prismatic Power* Warding 2/day|Green|+1 Caster Level
5th|Natural Lighting|Blue|+1 Caster Level
6th|Refraction, Kaleidoscopic Doom 2/day|Indigo|+1 Caster Level
7th|Warding 3/day|Violet|+1 Caster Level
8th|Supermassive Black Hole||+1 Caster Level
[/table]

Requirements
To qualify to become a Master of the Sevenfold Veil, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 24 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 24 ranks.
Feats: Epic Spellcasting, Greater Spell Focus (abjuration), Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (abjuration).
Spells: Able to cast at least 10 abjurations spells, including prismatic wall and prismatic sphere.
Special:Complete Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil Prestige Class

Class Skills
The Master of the Sevenfold Veil's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Master of the Sevenfold Veil prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Masters of the Sevenfold Veil gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spellcasting: At each level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains a caster level. If she had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Master of the Sevenfold Veil, she must decide to which to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Warding (Sp):A Master of the Sevenfold Veil's warding ability works exactly like the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil ability. She can choose one veil she knows (see Complete Arcane pg. 45) to be imbued in the warding. A warding lasts for a certain amount of time as indicated in its description (Master of the Sevenfold Veil levels stack with Initiate for this purpose), unless it is dismissed (the same way a spell is dismissed; see page 176 of the Player’s Handbook). When she creates a warding, she can choose one of three types listed in the Complete Arcane.

Empowered Dispelling: At 1st level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains a +2 bonus on dispel checks. She also adds her class level to the caster level maximum of dispel checks. For example, a 6th-level Veil Master can add up to +26 to all dispel checks made with greater dispel magic.

Iridescence: At 2nd level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains the ability to weave prismatic effects into her dispels. Any time Dispel magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Reaving Dispel, etc. is cast, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil can choose to imbue it with a prismatic effect. (Roll 1d8 to determine which effect takes place. Reroll 8s.) The DC for the prismatic effects is equal to the spell cast.

Superb Warding: At 2nd level a Master's prismatic effects become extra resilient. To negate a Master of the Sevenfold Veil's Wardings, Prismatic Wall, or Prismatic Sphere spells, the caster must make an opposed caster level check (DC 11+Master's Caster Level) to destroy or negate any layer. This protection works against items such as rods of cancellation and Disjunction effects. Other effects, such as a Sphere of Annihilation still functions as normal.

Radiance: At 3rd level a Master of the Sevenfold Veil taps into extra power when she uses her prismatic spells (Including Initiate and Master of the Sevenfold Veil class abilities). Any numeric effect of a prismatic spell that the Master casts is empowered, as per the Empower Spell feat. (For instance if someone is hit by the yellow effect of a prismatic spell, it deals 120 points of electricity damage instead of 80.) The save DC for any spell with a prismatic effect or the [light] descriptor also adds +2 to its DC.

Kaleidoscopic Doom (Sp): As outlined in the Complete Arcane pg. 45
At 1st level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains an additional use per day of kaleidoscopic doom. As a standard action, she designates one creature within 60 feet and turns magical effects currently affecting the creature against it.
This effect functions like a targeted greater dispel magic, except that for every spell or effect negated on the target, the effect of one veil (see Complete Arcane pg. 45) is visited on the victim as if the subject had crossed it. The veils created around the victim proceed through the spectrum from red to violet, with one veil activated per spell negated. Thus, a creature with three spells negated would be subject to the effects of the red, orange, and yellow veils. The subject is still entitled to the normal saving throws allowed by each veil. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.
The Master of the Sevenfold Veil can invoke this ability one additional time per day starting at 3rd level, and again at 6th level.

Prismatic Power At 4th level a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains Prismatic Power as a bonus feat.

PRISMATIC POWER [Epic]
Your prismatic effects are so strong that they overcome most resistances.
Benefits: Your prismatic abilities completely ignore any resistance to their effects that a creature possesses, including energy resistance and bonuses on saving throws, bypassing such resistances and affecting the target as if she possessed no resistance at all. Targets are still entitled to whatever other defenses the attack allows (such as saving throws and spell resistance).
Creatures normally immune to any of the prismatic effects can be affected by prismatic spells as well. A creature with an immunity to a certain color’s effects takes half damage (or one quarter on a successful save) if the effect is damaging, or gains a +7 bonus on its saving throw if the effect is non-damaging.

Natural Lighting: At 5th Level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil weaves ambient light into her Prismatic Spells. In bright light (such as in the area of a daylight spell) and natural light, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil's prismatic spells can harm creatures typically immune to effects that allow spell resistance. A caster level check to overcome spell resistance must be made as normal.

Spectrum Attunement (Sp): As the Master of the Sevenfold Veil progresses, she becomes attuned to the inherent magical powers of light magic. Starting with the red prismatic effect, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil gradually gains immunity to the effects of prismatic spells and intuitively knows how to negate their effects altogether.

1: At 1st level, A Master of the Sevenfold Veil becomes immune to the red effect of prismatic spells. She also gains Cone of Cold as a spell-like ability usable at will.
2:At 2nd level the immunity spreads to the orange effect of prismatic spells. She gains Gust of Wind as a spell-like ability at will.
3: Immunity to the Yellow prismatic effect. Disintegrate at will SLA.
4: Immunity to Green prismatic effect. Passwall at will SLA.
5: Immunity to Blue Effect. Magic Missile at will SLA.
6: Immunity to the Indigo Effect. At will Daylight SLA.
7: Immunity to the Violet Effect. At Will Dispel Magic SLA.
All Spell-like abilities function as the original spell with the Caster Level equal to the Master's Hit Dice.

Refraction: At 6th level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil unlocks new powers in the Prismatic Spectrum. 3/day + spellcasting mod, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil can exchange the original Prismatic effects list, including her wardings and Kaleidoscopic Doom for the following:

{table=head]|
Orange|6d6 Acid damage (reflex half, and 6d6 the following 2 rounds on a failed save
Violet|Blackfire (SpC)
[/table]

Supermassive Black Hole
This is a placeholder for that spiffy eighth veil I have yet to think up. I think it should have something to do with the absorption of light or something similar.

EDIT: Fixed the table.

vasharanpaladin
2009-12-01, 10:41 PM
No, you want ten levels long, so you can set the pattern. Epic PrCs tend to go forth without limit... every set number of levels, you gain an additional use of an ability granted at an earlier level, or a bonus feat, or some other bonus.

Might I suggest, to make it more striking as a "master" class, the requirement of levels in Archmage?

Ponce
2009-12-01, 10:44 PM
Should re-order the text entries to match the table, easier to read.

Spectrum Attunement: Good, but you could just say Caster Level = HD for the SLAs to make things easier. Also, 1/day? This is epic. I'd go as far as to say that the SLAs granted here should be at will.

Iridescence: The DC of the prismatic effect should be equal to the DC of the spell cast, not the spell's level.

Superb Warding is nifty, I like it.

Radiance: Doesn't work. Empowering only works on dice rolls. "Random, variable numeric effects." 80 is not random or variable. You should just write up an enhanced prismatic table.

Natural Lighting: Kind of weird. Magic-immune creatures are more susceptible than creatures who just have SR?

Supermassive Black Hole: Maybe something like Prismatic Storm? Visits a random Prismatic effect on 1 mile/level or something?

Icarus
2009-12-01, 11:14 PM
Radiance: Doesn't work. Empowering only works on dice rolls. "Random, variable numeric effects." 80 is not random or variable. You should just write up an enhanced prismatic table.
I know thats how it normally works, and I just figured calling the effects Empowered would simplify the mechanics. I'll write up an improved effects list instead.

Spectrum Attunement: Good, but you could just say Caster Level = HD for the SLAs to make things easier. Also, 1/day? This is epic. I'd go as far as to say that the SLAs granted here should be at will.
Yeah, that would make things easier; and I agree with you about the 1/day abilities. I thought I'd throw them out that as-is to see about reactions first.

Natural Lighting: Kind of weird. Magic-immune creatures are more susceptible than creatures who just have SR?
What I'm trying to achieve with this ability is having the Master be able to affect constructs, demiliches, etc. with prismatic effects. I just haven't found the proper wording for it I suppose.

Iridescence: The DC of the prismatic effect should be equal to the DC of the spell cast, not the spell's level.
Oops. Tack something else to the list.

I like the class both ways, and I think I'm going to make it ten levels long just so (For whatever reason) more of 10 levels continues to make the dispels useful, and keeps the other level dependent abilities up to strength.

As for the capstone, maybe keep with that 8th veil and make a Prismatic Spell Seed, and have it be of exclusive use to a player with the PrC.

EDIT: Worked in your suggestions, Ponce. Also, the more I look at Refraction, the more I want to beef it up. Thoughts?

Glimbur
2009-12-01, 11:45 PM
Disintegrate at will is... I want to say it's too good, but this is Epic.

Icarus
2009-12-01, 11:57 PM
I'm on the verge of thinking its a little too potent. I may pull it back and make the spells work like refraction, with casts/day being dependent on something like casting mod.

But on the other hand, fort saves in epic are high, and there's a lot better things to do at epic levels than spam disintegrate.

I'm honestly ok with the others being castable at will, considering the level the PrC will be seeing play at.

Frog Dragon
2009-12-02, 09:03 AM
Uses based on casting mod? 13 uses per day is hardy different from at will anymore (Epics will be stacking so much items and inherents that bonuses like that is quite easy.)

dougch
2009-12-02, 01:57 PM
disintergrate at will may be powerful but ide venture at epic that magic missle most defnitely is not, mabye if it was allowed to break its max cap

Icarus
2009-12-02, 07:11 PM
I agree about magic missile. What about substituting it for Chain Missile, from SpC instead? I'd rule that a Chain Missile is still capable of bringing down the blue layer since the spells are so similar.

Icarus
2009-12-03, 03:20 AM
Excuse the double post.

Alright, so a couple of new ideas.

I changed a few abilities. I'll post the old and the new side by side for easier viewing. Not adding levels to the new descriptions below was intended, as I'll probably just be moving the abilities around anyway.

First off, its back to the 10 level version for continued use.

{table=head]Level|Special|Spectrum Attunement|Spells

1|Empowered Dispelling, Warding 1/day|Red|+1 Caster Level
2|Radiance, Iridescence|Orange|+1 Caster Level
3|Prismatic Power|Yellow|+1 Caster Level
4|Magnification, Kaleidoscopic Doom 1/day|Green|+1 Caster Level
5|Refraction, Warding 2/day|Blue|+1 Caster Level
6|Natural Lighting|Indigo|+1 Caster Level
7|Superb Warding|Violet|+1 Caster Level
8|Kaleidoscopic Doom 2/day||+1 Caster Level
9|Warding 3/day||+1 Caster Level
10|Supermassive Black Hole||+1 Caster Level

[/table]

Extra wardings are learned at 1st level, then every 4th level beyond that.
Extra Kaleidoscopic Dooms start at level 4, and continue to be learned every 4 levels as well. These can instead be switched out for an extra bonus feat. (Available Feats to be added later.)

Onto the changed Abilities-

Radiance:
Radiance Old Version:

Radiance: At 3rd level a Master of the Sevenfold Veil taps into extra power when she uses her prismatic spells (Including Initiate and Master of the Sevenfold Veil class abilities). Any numeric effect of a prismatic spell that the Master casts is empowered, as per the Empower Spell feat. (For instance if someone is hit by the yellow effect of a prismatic spell, it deals 120 points of electricity damage instead of 80.) The save DC for any spell with a prismatic effect or the [light] descriptor also adds +2 to its DC.
Radiance New Version:
A Master of the Sevenfold Veil expands on her knowledge of the magical properties of Light. She adds Prismatic Ray, Prismatic Spray, Prismatic Bow, and Prismatic Deluge to her list of spells known. If she already knows these spells, she may instead choose a different prismatic spell or spell with the [Light] descriptor of the appropriate level instead. Furthermore, the Save DC for any prismatic spell or spell with the [Light] descriptor increases by 2.

Refraction:

Refraction Old Version:

Refraction: At 6th level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil unlocks new powers in the Prismatic Spectrum. 3/day + spellcasting mod, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil can exchange the original Prismatic effects list, including her wardings and Kaleidoscopic Doom for the following:
{table=head]|
Orange|6d6 Acid damage (reflex half, and 6d6 the following 2 rounds on a failed save
Violet|Blackfire (SpC)
[/table]

Refraction New Version:
Refraction:A Master of the Sevenfold Veil unlocks new powers in the Prismatic Spectrum. A Master of the Sevenfold Veil can exchange the original Prismatic effects list, including her wardings and Kaleidoscopic Doom for the following:
{table=head]|
Red|60 Fire damage, reflex half
Orange|30 Acid damage (reflex half, and 30 acid damage the following 2 rounds on a failed save
Yellow|120 Electricity damage, reflex half
Green|Poison (Death; Fort Partial 2d6 damage to random stat.)
Blue|Stone to Flesh*
Indigo|Confusion*
Violet|Sent to another plane*[/table]
*I'm not quite sure what to do with these abilities. I want to change them, but I'm having trouble finding something that would seem fitting.
For the Stone to Flesh replacement, maybe Glass Strike, Baleful Polymorph, or Corporeal Instability.
I think the replacement for Confusion would be pretty funny if it was instead Otto's Irresistible Dance
For the Violet Effect, maybe just being able to choose where the victims went would be enough. On the other hand, switching it out for something like Imprisonment seems like it'd be fitting.

New Ability:
Magnification: At (coughmumblecough) level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil's prismatic effects are more focused. Whenever she casts a prismatic spell with a random outcome, the victim is affected by two colors instead of one. Any rolls of 8 add one additional effect. Reroll double outcomes.
(Maybe move the +2 DC component of radiance to this.)

As for Spectrum Attunement, does 7/day for each spell seem a little more feasible (and keeps with the seven theme)? This ability seems a little clunky with it being a 10 level class now. Thoughts on this (other than spreading the attunements out)?
As an 8th level PrC I really liked this. It went through the original colors, then gave me freedom to add an extra "mystical" ability at the end.

Onto Natural Lighting. I completely changed this one.

Old Version:

Natural Lighting: At 5th Level, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil weaves ambient light into her Prismatic Spells. In bright light (such as in the area of a daylight spell) and natural light, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil's prismatic spells can harm creatures typically immune to effects that allow spell resistance. A caster level check to overcome spell resistance must be made as normal.

New Version:
Natural Lighting: A Master of the Sevenfold Veil can use ambient light to power her prismatic spells. When inside an area of antimagic, a Master of the Sevenfold veil can make a caster level check (DC 11+CL of antimagic effect) to cast her prismatic and [Light] spells normally.

Other thoughts for this ability are removing the existing function and combining "Silent as a Sunbeam and Still as a Moonlit night" to make the prismatic spells silent/stilled so things like grappling and being in silence won't suck so bad.

Iridescence only got a minor change. A friend asked me about how it affects items, so I added a line covering that.
Iridescence: A Master of the Sevenfold Veil gains the ability to weave prismatic effects into her dispels. Any time Dispel magic, Greater Dispel Magic, Reaving Dispel, etc. is cast, a Master of the Sevenfold Veil can choose to imbue it with a prismatic effect. (Roll 1d8 to determine which effect takes place. Reroll 8s.) If used on an attended item, the Prismatic effect functions as normal. If the item is unattended, only the dispel occurs. The DC for the prismatic effects is equal to the spell cast.

Supermassive Black Hole is still a placeholder. Haven't thought up anything cool enough for an epic capstone ability.

Main issues now are just figuring out where everything should go. As is, the last few levels seem a little barren. Of course, this could be solved with it being a 7-8 level PrC; but like I said earlier, I'd like for it to be something a PC could potentially continue in.

Depending on feedback, I'll be integrating the changes into the original post so everything is easier to get to.

EDIT: Spelling