PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] sorc/wiz spells w/o SR

Choco
2009-12-01, 10:08 AM
Was just wondering if y'all can tell me some good sorcerer/wizard spells that don't allow for SR. I got enough save-and-suck for everyone, but enemies/creatures with high CR are still annoying, even if I overcome it 90% of the time.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-01, 10:10 AM
Orbs. Oh, those wonderful orbs, is there anything they can't do?

SpC.

MichielHagen
2009-12-01, 10:13 AM
Aren't Orbs from Complete Mage or Complete Arcane?

<edit> that is, assuming "SpC." stood for Spell Compendium

also http://www.imarvintpa.com/DndLive/FindSpell.php

Cyrion
2009-12-01, 10:34 AM
They're definitely in the Spell Compendium. I don't remember for sure if they're in CM or CA as well, but I don't think so.

valadil
2009-12-01, 10:37 AM
Conjurations have a whole bunch of no SR spells. Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud, and Web come to mind. That's a save or suck for each save, with no SR.

I'm also a fan of True Casting from Complete Mage, even though it doesn't get a lot of attention. It's kinda like True Strike, but for +10 insight on your next SR check. I used this one to good effect on my last sorcerer. He had spontaneous metamagic from the PHB2 and used residual magic (also CM) to recast metamagic spells for cheaper. This meant that I could cast a quickened True Casting at a level 5 slot and then the next round as a 1.

BRC
2009-12-01, 10:38 AM
They're definitely in the Spell Compendium. I don't remember for sure if they're in CM or CA as well, but I don't think so.
They're in CA.
SpC dosn't add new spells I don't think, it just takes spells from many different books and puts them in one place.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-01, 10:54 AM
Was just wondering if y'all can tell me some good sorcerer/wizard spells that don't allow for SR. I got enough save-and-suck for everyone, but enemies/creatures with high CR are still annoying, even if I overcome it 90% of the time.

0th: Acid splash, Caltrops
1st: Lesser Orb of energy, Grease,
2nd: Glitterdust, Acid Arrow (occasionally useful), Web (though the need for anchoring is tough), Pyrotechnics (smoke version), fog cloud, Summon Swarm (although is no more enemies may turn on you guys)
3rd: Stinking Cloud, Sleet Storm, Sepia Snake Sigil (though how to get creature to read it is trouble), Bands of Steel,
4th: Evard's Black tentacles, Solid fog, Orb of energy

Tyndmyr
2009-12-01, 11:23 AM

<edit> that is, assuming "SpC." stood for Spell Compendium

also http://www.imarvintpa.com/DndLive/FindSpell.php

Not to my knowledge, and I do have both books. They were printed earlier, in a different, crappier form...Tome and Blood, was it?

And yeah, SpC is Spell Compendium.

DarkSetzer
2009-12-01, 11:35 AM

Complete Arcane. Had to double check, but yeah...they are in there.

FinalJustice
2009-12-01, 12:55 PM
Orbs. Oh, those wonderful orbs, is there anything they can't do?

SpC.

Yes, there is. But their cousins, those wonderful Fogs, got it covered. =D

(Seriously, Solid Fog and their foggy friends. Freezing Fog is a must have)

Choco
2009-12-01, 01:11 PM
Ah thanks guys!

I already had the fogs and tentacles and other AOE's covered, was actually looking for something like the orbs that can be used in enclosed spaces and against an individual target in a crowd and such.

Since I have energy substitution(cold) already, I should be good just taking Orb of Fire.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-01, 06:13 PM
Disintegrate is a SR:No spell if you use it on the scenery rather than the opponent. Likewise Shatter and Shrink Item.... all of which are damn effective offensive spells.

I believe Reverse Gravity and Forcecage might be more up your street in a real type answer type thingie...

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-12-01, 09:23 PM
My personal favorite is Thunderlance (Spell Compendium).

4th level spell. does 3d6 force damage, it hits everything (no save, no SR), uses your casting stat in place of strength on attack and damage, and can go from 5' to 20' reach on a whim. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: Cast that with the Arcane Strike feat, and you have a winner.

EDIT:
And on top... it's crit is 20x3 and can dispel other force effects (like mage armor or shield). And you can wield it in two hands... I am wondering if that means you add 1.5x your casting stat? that's how I played it in my group. It makes for a great construct killer.