PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ranged combat dwarf.

Jack2000
2009-12-01, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking on making a ranged combat dwarf.
I'll make him rely on STR and use brutal throw. When things get too messy i may switch to primarily using a sturdy axe. But other then that i'll keep my distance (as we already have a tank) and throw axes from the backlines.

We're staring at lvl2, so all ideas and advice will be appreciated :smallsmile:

Eldariel
2009-12-01, 01:42 PM
Well, uh, Brutal Throw is a nice start and Quick Draw is practically a must. Other than that, you may want PBS > Rapid Shot for more crap to throw (or TWF line), Power Throw, Far Shot (notably useful with thrown weapons) and yeah...

Bloodstorm Blade [ToB] and Master Thrower [CW] are excellent classes to look into.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-01, 01:45 PM
Definitely Warblade, into Bloodstorm Blade as soon as you can. Master Thrower after 4 levels of BB, then more Warblade for the delicious melee strikes that you can now do at range.

Telonius
2009-12-01, 02:59 PM
... must need more coffee, I read the title and thought someone was planning on using a combat dwarf as a ranged weapon...

Jack2000
2009-12-01, 03:07 PM
As a matter of fact i've thought of that.
We had an elaborate plan involving a giant with enlarge person permantented and a very sturdy dwarf covered in spiky armor...

ericgrau
2009-12-01, 03:36 PM
Don't forget dwarves are allowed to tumble in any armor, since it doesn't reduce their movement speed...

The Glyphstone
2009-12-01, 03:38 PM
Could a dwarf use Tumble mid-air to increase his 'range increment', as he tries to make himself more aerodynamic?

ghashxx
2009-12-01, 05:17 PM
Of course the problem with ranged is that it's incredibly difficult to equal the same damage output as a melee class. This is doubled when you start looking at trying to use magical weapons to throw as a single +1 returning axe is not only >7k but you only get it on the return if you don't move. To help offset this think about grabbing some thrown stuff that acts as ammunition, like shuriken re-fluffed as light throwing knives. That way you can have 50+X weapons at the same cost as a single +X weapon. They may get destroyed 1/2 the times you throw them, but by that time you'll have moved on to better equipment anyways. There's a fairly extensive thread about this here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127688)

Kylarra
2009-12-01, 05:28 PM
Of course the problem with ranged is that it's incredibly difficult to equal the same damage output as a melee class. This is doubled when you start looking at trying to use magical weapons to throw as a single +1 returning axe is not only >7k but you only get it on the return if you don't move. To help offset this think about grabbing some thrown stuff that acts as ammunition, like shuriken re-fluffed as light throwing knives. That way you can have 50+X weapons at the same cost as a single +X weapon. They may get destroyed 1/2 the times you throw them, but by that time you'll have moved on to better equipment anyways. There's a fairly extensive thread about this here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127688)Well, once you have your 4 bloodstorm blade levels, the returning thing is negligible at least.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-01, 06:03 PM
I believe that Complete Scoundrel has a teleporting ability for weapons, so fingers crossed that it does.

Also, can we enchant the dwarf to be a +5 throwing teleporting combat dwarf in spiked full plate. We hire a few enlarged ogres and invite them to a game of dwarf tossing. If we need to sink a few ships, reset the owner to the man who did not come up with the plan. Then run like blazes in the other direction.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-01, 06:06 PM
Alternatively, the Cragtop Archer is actually a pretty cool PRC.

Prime32
2009-12-01, 06:46 PM
... must need more coffee, I read the title and thought someone was planning on using a combat dwarf as a ranged weapon...So did I.

Actually, I once made a druid/hulking hurler/bloodstorm blade build who wildshaped into a giant bat and threw a fleshraker who had the Battle Jump feat and was under the effects of venomfire. Under one interpretation of Battle Jump, the fleshraker got to make a full attack every time it was thrown (and the druid could flurry with it).

I called it the Guren SEITEN. :smalltongue:

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-01, 06:49 PM
... must need more coffee, I read the title and thought someone was planning on using a combat dwarf as a ranged weapon...

Make him a monk/Kensai, and enchant him with throwing & returning. Then get throw anything. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2009-12-01, 08:16 PM
There's a feat in Miniature' Handbook that allows you to throw a weapon on a charge (and then attack with your melee weapon at the end of the charge), that might be handy...