PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Outrider

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-01, 03:54 PM
Hey folks,

I have been thinking of a mounted build and I wanted to go with halfling outrider for the sake of being able to ride around inside buildings.

I'd like to include devoted tracker in this as well.

Is there a way to do this that works out well? The obvious one is Ranger/Paladin/Outrider, but that wouldn't really get into outrider till level 10, to have the animal companion from ranger and the mount from paladin...

What am I missing?

Eldariel
2009-12-01, 04:07 PM
Hey folks,

I have been thinking of a mounted build and I wanted to go with halfling outrider for the sake of being able to ride around inside buildings.

I'd like to include devoted tracker in this as well.

Is there a way to do this that works out well? The obvious one is Ranger/Paladin/Outrider, but that wouldn't really get into outrider till level 10, to have the animal companion from ranger and the mount from paladin...

What am I missing?

There are many ways about it. Beastmaster is the most obvious. Prestige Paladin empowers it a lot. There's a bunch of feats in Dragon 346 (?) that allow stacking animal companion progressions for divine/arcane casting classes so those help too.

You can start off with Fey Bard or something like that, btw. Entering at 7-8 is plenty doable. Beware though, too much goodness may result in too strong a companion. It's possible to get a 50 HD Dragon by level 20.

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-01, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Eldariel! A few fast questions:

What book is beastmaster in?

Same question, re: Fey bard

Thanks!

Atelm
2009-12-01, 04:15 PM
What book is beastmaster in?

Complete Adventurer, no idea for the other one.

gorfnab
2009-12-01, 04:16 PM
Beastmaster is in Complete Adventurer. For feats you'll obviously want Devoted Tracker and Natural Bond which are also from Complete Adventurer.

Gnaeus
2009-12-01, 04:21 PM
What am I missing?

A Druid cohort to ride on. ;-)

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-01, 04:30 PM
A Druid cohort to ride on. ;-)

Working on it. Her boyfriend said no, but I bet if I ask nicely...