PDA

View Full Version : Durkon is awesome, but where is his backstory?

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-01, 05:13 PM
despite being a great character, Durkon has almost zero character development. what gives?

factotum
2009-12-01, 05:16 PM
His backstory can be found in On the Origin of PCs.

Dark Faun
2009-12-01, 05:16 PM
Backstory and development are two different things. For the former, see On the Origin of PCs. For the latter, people say Durkon has shown character development, but I don't see it (keep in mind I'm not a good character analyst at all).

HotAndCold
2009-12-01, 05:26 PM
Backstory and development are two different things. For the former, see On the Origin of PCs. For the latter, people say Durkon has shown character development, but I don't see it (keep in mind I'm not a good character analyst at all).

For the latter, see... On the Origin of the PCs.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-01, 05:29 PM
I meant development. I dont own the origin of Pc's although I gathered what it's about. I ordered a copy from my public lib. still, there is barely any development, even recently.

ThePhantasm
2009-12-01, 05:38 PM
Some characters just don't need character development. Their place in the comic may be to create development in other characters.

Kaytara
2009-12-01, 06:37 PM
Durkon got both backstory AND development in Origins. There's a reason he's on that book's cover. :D

I agree that some more would be overdue, though. Personally, I've been enjoying his interaction with Belkar lately.

Vemynal
2009-12-01, 07:58 PM
Durkon is considered a static character- generally its his role in the story to show how much other characters have changed by being their contrast and showing that he has not.

Another way to think of this is: Durkon has a really high wisdom score as their cleric. Which a wisdom score would imply that he is in fact wise.

With wisdom generally a character needs less character development

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-01, 08:32 PM
Durkon is considered a static character- generally its his role in the story to show how much other characters have changed by being their contrast and showing that he has not.

Another way to think of this is: Durkon has a really high wisdom score as their cleric. Which a wisdom score would imply that he is in fact wise.

by your logic, V and Roy wouldnt need any too.

Haven
2009-12-01, 08:35 PM

True, but it would be nice to see something that highlights his character traits. Aside from his sidequest with Hilgya in the beginning, he's basically gotten no focus and, to me, that's always been one of the comic's biggest flaws.

Boogastreehouse
2009-12-01, 09:08 PM
I think his conversation with V here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html) says a lot about his character and how he perceives himself lately. He's humble enough to admit when he thinks he's wrong, and self-aware enough to acknowledge that it was his own fear of making the wrong choice that kept him from taking the initiative.

He took a look at how he acted when he didn't have Roy to lead him, and it looks like he wished that he had acted differently.

I'd say that Durkon has developed recently too, his development is just a bit quieter; not as flashy and sexy (and genocide-y) as V's.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-01, 09:51 PM
I think his conversation with V here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html) says a lot about his character and how he perceives himself lately. He's humble enough to admit when he thinks he's wrong, and self-aware enough to acknowledge that it was his own fear of making the wrong choice that kept him from taking the initiative.

He took a look at how he acted when he didn't have Roy to lead him, and it looks like he wished that he had acted differently.

I'd say that Durkon has developed recently too, his development is just a bit quieter; not as flashy and sexy (and genocide-y) as V's.

still, his CD is few and far between, and kind of hasted in my opinion.

Bibliomancer
2009-12-01, 10:41 PM

Roy has a medium wisdom score and a large enough ego that his personality is in a state of flux, and V has not been shown to have a high wisdom score. If anything, the opposite. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0661.html) Perhaps character development can be stated thus: its up to the author, but within the bounds of stats, it depends on the ratio of intelligence to wisdom. Durkon has a high wisdom score and an average intelligence score, and so has reached a stable zen state (which doesn't totally excuse his lack of development in my opinion, but it at least a partial justification for it). Roy has an intelligence score that is higher than his wisdom score and a fairly high charisma score, indicating that he has a strong, if illogical personality that gradually adapts to external stimuli. V has a high intelligence score and a low wisdom score, and so has lots of room for improvement or destabilization, depending on events, but has a large deal of inertia initially due to arrogance. Lastly, Belkar has a low wisdom and low intelligence score, and so needs to be spoon-fed advancement as a way to survive (a necessity) and otherwise remains exactly the same.

Kupi
2009-12-01, 10:51 PM
I kind've enjoy Durkon being a pillar of stability in the party. He has enough unique aspects to be engaging (an especially favored priest of Thor, someone people can turn to for good advice (a rarity in the party), a skilled healer both magically and mundanely, evidently prophesied to bring destruction to his home when he returns there, etc.), so perhaps it's for the best if he does stay the way he is.

He's not a flashy character, but I like him.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-01, 11:36 PM
evidently prophesied to bring destruction to his home when he returns there, etc.).

This, perhaps, implies character change in the future, if it wasn't for the likely condition of his return.

HotAndCold
2009-12-02, 01:36 AM
This, perhaps, implies character change in the future, if it wasn't for the likely condition of his return.

Unlike Belkar's death prophecy, Durkon's has a lot of wriggle room. All that's directly stated is that he'll die between the prophecy and arriving in the dwarven lands, sure, but, well. So did Roy, y'know?

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 02:12 AM
This, perhaps, implies character change in the future, if it wasn't for the likely condition of his return.[/QUOTE]

i agree fully... i think that his role as a static character will come back to him in full. he is long overdue... but i also think that rich left it that way for a reason... kinda like when he does unvail all that will happen to him, it will be like a big pay off for all those hard-core durkon fans.

plus i think he inacted the thunder blessing on helga. reason being is because when you're twins the magic just never ends!:elan:

Spirited Charge
2009-12-02, 09:57 AM
...evidently prophesied to bring destruction to his home when he returns there, etc.), so perhaps it's for the best if he does stay the way he is.

Destruction to his home? I don't recall that...I rechecked and it just sayed that he would return to his homeland posthumously, which is later explained to mean 'after one's death'. It had nothing to do with destroying them at all.

Ceaon
2009-12-02, 10:10 AM
That is another prophecy from On the Origin of PCs, though.

Spirited Charge
2009-12-02, 01:08 PM
That is another prophecy from On the Origin of PCs, though.

Ah, that would explain it then. I, sadly, have not yet gotten around to reading On the Origin of PCs yet, so that reference was a bit over my head.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-02, 01:14 PM
And, saddly, it really needed to be spoilered. But I guess there is no point to that now.

Red XIV
2009-12-02, 01:28 PM
There's a difference between Wisdom and Intelligence.

Atronach
2009-12-08, 10:23 AM
Yes, and I have found said scores to be more for checks, rather than how you play your character. I used to play this fighter with a wisdom of eight, and have him point out some of the better decisions of the group.

Dark Faun
2009-12-08, 10:56 AM
Are you sure you weren't simply out of character? :smallwink:

Querzis
2009-12-08, 10:56 AM
I dont see the problem really. Durkon is not the kind of guy who would need character development. He has more or less gotten the only character development he needed back in Origin of the PC. Not everyone change, not everyone want to change and not everyone need to change. Durkon is one of those rare people who dont think he need to change and is actually right.

And I agree that this is normal for people with very high wisdom. You dont expect the Zen Master to change or have character development and while Durkon is not really a zen master, hes very close to it. It would take something really big (like his kingdom being destroyed) to shake Durkon and even then, it might just strengthen his resolve.

And by the way, V wisdom is really bad.

Turkish Delight
2009-12-08, 11:26 AM
Not everyone change, not everyone want to change and not everyone need to change. Durkon is one of those rare people who dont think he need to change and is actually right.

If this were real life, sure. In a story, if you don't get character development, you don't get any 'screen time' compared to those who do and eventually recede into the background and become at best a footnote to the story. Durkon has been suffering from that for awhile, which is why he seems to vie with Belkar for least favorite party member without having any of Belkar's dislikable traits. He's just so...vanilla.

It doesn't help that Durkon's character is composed of about 98% endlessly recycled Dwarf stereotypes, as the comic itself lampshaded. The party might have trouble finding another Chaotic Evil Ax Crazy Halfling Ranger/Barbarian, but I can't imagine they'd have much trouble finding a Lawful Good Warhammer-wielding Dwarf Cleric with a beard who loves ale and speaks with a faux Scottish accent. Would it be too much to ask for a Dwarf Cleric who is a big fan of tea, loves nature hikes and speaks like Speedy Gonzales?

Kish
2009-12-08, 01:09 PM
Are you sure you weren't simply out of character? :smallwink:
Thank you.

Yes, "Roleplaying has nothing to do with stats" is a common idea among D&D players, but not one I have much truck with. This (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html) article might be interesting, too.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-08, 02:07 PM
It's over there.

no behind that.

That thing right there!

haha made you look.:smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2009-12-08, 02:38 PM
Is there any (extremely non-canon) backstory in the Crack Pairings thread?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-08, 03:51 PM
Destruction to his home? I don't recall that...I rechecked and it just sayed that he would return to his homeland posthumously, which is later explained to mean 'after one's death'. It had nothing to do with destroying them at all.

Combine the two. Then think of the giant, undead dwarf returning home.

Character development incoming.

Gamerlord
2009-12-08, 03:56 PM
He doesn't need any development because his shtick is the stereotypical dwarf lawful good cleric.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-08, 04:36 PM
He doesn't need any development because his shtick is the stereotypical dwarf lawful good cleric.

They all were steriotypes originally. Haley was a very steriotypical thief. Belkar was the steriotypical chaotic crazy guy in every party, and so on.

Then there much lampshading of steriotypes, and eventual development of personalities, and it was good.

Optimystik
2009-12-08, 04:42 PM
They all were steriotypes originally.

Roy was contrary to stereotype from the very beginning. [/nitpick]

fangthane
2009-12-08, 05:49 PM
Just a nitpick on people who are taking an angle the Posthumous Return prophecy doesn't explicitly designate...

Durkon will FINALLY return posthumously. There's absolutely no indication that this will necessarily be his next return, only that it will be his last.

That being the case, his OtOoPCs prophecy needn't necessarily be realised at the same time, but may be earlier. He may return, fulfilling the first prophecy with Xykon in his wake, complete the entirety of the Snarl 'module,' be sent out as a dignitary, returning 3 times in the next 20-50 years and finally being returned to his people when a hrung* unexpectedly falls on him. Just saying.

Edit - also, not that I buy this as a plausible possibility. Fact is, though, that however unlikely, it does remain possible.

*I, like Ford, am unable to satisfactorily explain what a hrung is.

SaintRidley
2009-12-08, 06:07 PM
I don't see him returning to the dwarven lands due to the very nature of self-fulfilling prophecy.

He believes he won't return until after he's dead. So he won't end up making any forays that would take him there, as it would not be the right time. Thus, he doesn't return until after he dies because he causes the condition that makes he return only a posthumous one.

HotAndCold
2009-12-08, 06:34 PM
Just a nitpick on people who are taking an angle the Posthumous Return prophecy doesn't explicitly designate...

Durkon will FINALLY return posthumously. There's absolutely no indication that this will necessarily be his next return, only that it will be his last.

I always took that "finally" to be in the same sense as "at last". It has been about 18 long, miserable years for Durkon.

Prowl
2009-12-08, 08:47 PM
Durkon's consistency is his personality. Major development would be a major break from character.

Mariel Dragon
2009-12-10, 03:17 AM
Somebody guessed that an undead Durkon would be part of Xykons Zombie army when they march for Kraagor's gate. On the way, they destroy the dwarven homelands. The title of the book which will contain that arc (also proposed by that person) should be "Snow dwarf and the seven wights" :smalltongue:

DEG
2009-12-10, 11:41 AM
That...actually seems like a possible event in OOTS.