PDA

View Full Version : magnetic blades of doom

Brendan
2009-12-01, 06:16 PM
first, get an ubermagnet. The kind that makes your keys go flying a mile away. Get something that has opposite polarity make a shuriken or other throwing weapon with it. make it returning. using some telekinetic spell, move it right next to the column magnet. release. It flys, hits the enemy, returns to where it was released from, shoots out from the magnet and returns. forever. make it invisible and poisoned for a fun trap. deadly. The best part is you can have hundreds of these at once, and deal hundreds of d2 plus poison. fun.
would this work, and can it just be replicated with some kind of nice repulsion spell?

Heliomance
2009-12-01, 06:32 PM
Nope, because magnetism doesn't exist in D&D.

Count Dravda
2009-12-01, 06:35 PM
Devious, although I'm not sure the returning property would function, since magnetism that powerful would hold it in place and prevent it from returning. In addition, in order to get the kind of magnetism needed to deal damage, you'd need an equally powerful spell repulsing it back to its starting point once it has triggered. Still, excellently fiendish idea.

-Count Dravda

Prime32
2009-12-01, 06:37 PM
Returning doesn't work if something grabs the weapon. ToB has a sidebar on it, for fighting bloodstorm blades.

Brendan
2009-12-01, 06:42 PM
It is quite difficult to grab a flying shuriken. It is sharp and has no happy parts. Only violent bits. Anyways, is there some sort of magic which makes an item be unable to enter an area, and if it does enter, it gets sent out with force?

Prime32
2009-12-01, 06:43 PM
It is quite difficult to grab a flying shuriken.Um... unless you're the aforementioned giant magnet.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-01, 06:48 PM
Besides, shuriken are considered ammunition, and thus destroyed on a successful attack, or destroyed 50% of the time on a miss. Enchanting them with Returning would be a total waste of gold.

Signmaker
2009-12-01, 06:49 PM
Um... unless you're the aforementioned giant magnet.

Have I ever mentioned how much I like the word aforementioned? Ahhhhhfouuurmennnnnshonnnnddd. It's awesome.

And bad trying to use physics in DnD! Dissimilar models they are!

jseah
2009-12-01, 06:54 PM
Repel metal? I think it's a druid spell.

That could work if you have a room full of sharp iron

Here's a trap room idea:

Two magical trap walls, one of which is lined with spiky metal objects of doom (not ammunition)
Upon activation, one wall activates and repels all metal to the other end, dealing trap damage to anyone caught in it.
One round later, it deactivates and the other wall activates, sending everything flying back the other way.
Repeat until nothing lives.

Or another one where a repulsion field is in a pit, so characters wearing metal armour can jump across safely. (since they "float" on air, they just need to push themselves against one edge)
Then anyone not saying the password turns the field off when they get halfway. XD