PDA

View Full Version : Question on E6

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-01, 07:09 PM
I have seen E6 being mentioned in many threads, can sombody explain what it is?

Thanks in advance

The Glyphstone
2009-12-01, 07:10 PM
A variant where you don't level past 6th. Instead, you get bonus feats for every 5K experience once you reach that point. Sometimes these bonus feats can be spent on virtual class feature increases, like extra spells/day or increased sneak attack damage, but that's a GM-specific thing that varies widely.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-01, 07:12 PM
So in this variant, you could get more HP by expending a feat or an increase n BAB and such?

The Glyphstone
2009-12-01, 07:16 PM
No - that's the important thing about E6 - the strongest people in the world have BAB +6, and no humanoid character will ever have more than 6d12 HP - and only if they're a barbarian/warblade/etc. Some GMs will permit feats that advance class features, but HP/Saves/BAB aren't class-specific features. You could increase HP by taking Toughness, though that'd be a waste of your feats until you ran out of good ones.

It's a variant that's intended to fuel a lower-power game while still making the heroes awesome, and keeping full casters from leaving mundanes in the dust...you can devastate armies as a Wizard chucking Fireballs, but you're not utterly invincible in return anymore like a Wizard 20 would be...you're just a Wizard 6 with more toys to play with.

Lapak
2009-12-01, 07:16 PM
So in this variant, you could get more HP by expending a feat or an increase n BAB and such?Increase in HP, sure. Increase in BAB, probably not - the whole point is to restrict the overall power level. A feat that lets you take other combat feats AS IF you had another point or two of BAB, now, that would be more likely.

In the same manner, you wouldn't want a feat for '+1 caster progression' as that would defeat the point. You could have a feat for '+1 CL on spells you can already cast' or maybe 'use this specific level 4 spell as a ritual taking X minutes to cast'.

Kylarra
2009-12-01, 07:17 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Epic_6

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-01, 07:27 PM
Do you reckon this will be a good variant for a first time DM, I am preparing a campaing but I am not sure if I can pull this right....

Radiun
2009-12-01, 07:29 PM
Do you reckon this will be a good variant for a first time DM, I am preparing a campaing but I am not sure if I can pull this right....

Yes.
At least in my opinion.
If only because you will have less abilities to deal with as a whole.

A level 20 character/enemy has many more options than a 6th level one.

Mongoose87
2009-12-01, 07:30 PM
It's nice, because it keeps you form ever reaching the headache of EPic level gaming. I'm in an Epic group, right now, and it seems like every round takes half an hour.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-01, 07:32 PM
Since I am planning on using humanoid enemies with classes, It may be easier to balance encounters...

infinitypanda
2009-12-01, 07:32 PM
E6 is great fun. It's always worth a try.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-01, 07:52 PM
Since I am planning on using humanoid enemies with classes, It may be easier to balance encounters...

yes yes it is...

I'm a huge fan of e6... try to find the PDF of it.. it will help you alot.

Keeps people from doing ridiculous stuff but still lets you get those fun 3rd level spells.

Also the guide (pdf) sugest once players hit 6th level and they start ganing more feats to creat your own to allow some 4th or even 5th level spells on a 1/day basis...

There example was wall of fire i think.

Mongoose87
2009-12-01, 08:14 PM
yes yes it is...

I'm a huge fan of e6... try to find the PDF of it.. it will help you alot.

Keeps people from doing ridiculous stuff but still lets you get those fun 3rd level spells.

Also the guide (pdf) sugest once players hit 6th level and they start ganing more feats to creat your own to allow some 4th or even 5th level spells on a 1/day basis...

There example was wall of fire i think.

You mean this (http://esix.pbwiki.com/f/E6v041.pdf) PDF?