PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone in Team Evil know about riftworld?

Ted The Bug
2009-12-01, 08:05 PM
I have a habit of asking questions that overlook something painfully obvious, so I was pretty hesitant about posting this topic. If there's something really moronic about it, I apologize in advance. I tried to check. Here goes.

Do either Xykon and Redcloak know about the planet in the rift, and if not, why? It seems to me that they don't or else they'd be examining it more thoroughly (well, at least Redcloak would). Assuming that they don't, I can't help but ask...why not? The entire purpose of Xykon's assault on the city was to control a gate that held the snarl, so when that gate was destroyed, wouldn't Redcloak want a closer look at the remains of it? One quick fly spell by Xykon would've done the trick, and it seems strange that none of the people looking directly into it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html) noticed nothing special. Unless raven familiars have some kind of special vision (and I have no idea if they do, my knowledge of D&D is pretty meager), Blackwing is the only being to have seen the planet (or at least to care about seeing it), despite all those who spend so much time up close with the rift. And then there's the question of whether V told anyone else in the party, since excluding Roy, who V has a fair amount of respect for, seems somewhat counter intuitive for someone as results-oriented as hir. Plus, he's kinda their leader, and V has had many chances to abandon the group and every time chooses to stick (NPI) with them.

All of this, of course, leaves out the possibility that Blackwing was lying, but it seems kinda pointless in terms of the plot for that to be the case. Plus, the planet idea is too cool to throw away.

HotAndCold
2009-12-01, 08:21 PM
I was under the impression that Blackwing was the only one who'd gotten close enough to the rift to see the planet. Judging by this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0544.html), it looks like you can usually only see a purple haze inside the rift. And, well, the rift holds a horrific creature that traditionally can and will reach out and unmake you if you get too close. Why would Redcloak or Xykon ever risk getting close enough for that?

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-01, 08:44 PM
no. I don't remember where it was, but xykon states that he wants to rule theworld, not destroy it, which is what will happen if he frees this snarl cracka.
no question is a stupid question:smallsmile: bro

Ladorak
2009-12-01, 08:49 PM
Why would Redcloak or Xykon ever risk getting close enough for that?

They wouldn't, but they'd gladly send someone else to do it. I think the OP has a good point. They can't know about it, because it would change all of their plans, or at least cause them to reconsider them. So then, why don't they know?

Ted The Bug
2009-12-01, 09:02 PM
Why would Redcloak or Xykon ever risk getting close enough for that?

Xykon got as close as Blackwing did (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0659.html), but he might not have noticed, since he was a little distracted by his phylactery.

Herald Alberich
2009-12-01, 09:48 PM
I've heard it suggested that despite Redcloak's curiosity, he thinks he already knows everything there is to know about the rift thanks to the Dark One, so he just didn't bother to look. As was said, he and Xykon definitely don't want to get in Snarl-claw range themselves, and they probably didn't think it was worth risking any other resources either (I suppose a magical scrying sensor wouldn't pose any danger, but again, why bother?). The whole "experiment" was just a way to get O-Chul to talk anyway.

Brendan
2009-12-01, 10:05 PM
Xykon got as close as Blackwing did (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0659.html), but he might not have noticed, since he was a little distracted by his phylactery.

he only got to dorukon's magic protections, not all the gate stuff.
edit: oooh, you meant then. I thought you ment when Roy smashed him into the gate. xykon was reading the explosive runes, not staring into the rift.

derfenrirwolv
2009-12-02, 02:26 PM
One quick fly spell by Xykon would've done the trick,

It would also open him up to be clawed if the snarl decided to wake up, which would get him killed and, more importantly, run the risk of leaving xykon as the one in charge of the plan.