View Full Version : Diseases Poisons And Evil Oh My

Letums Gate
2009-12-01, 09:23 PM
Black Death (Bubonic Plague)
Infection DC: 20
Infection type: Contact
Incubation: 1d3 days
Damage: 1d6 Con
Description: Symptoms includ high fever, headaches, painful aching joints, nausea and vomiting, and a general feeling of malaise.

Black Death (Pneumonic Plague)
Infection type: Inhaled/Contact (Bloody Victim)
Incubation: 1d6+1 days
Damage: 3d4 Con/1d6 Str
Description: Symptoms includ fever, cough, and blood-tinged spit. As the disease progress, spit became free flowing and bright red.

Alizarin Masque (Viral Hemorrhagic Fever)
Infection DC: 25
Infection Type: Contact (Infected Victim)
Incubation: 2d4 days
Damage: 1d4 Con (see text)
Description: Symptoms include abdominal pain, fever, headache, bloody vomit, malaise, and blood fails to clot.
(When damaged, character must succeed on another saving throw or 1 point of damage is permanent drain instead.
Characters must make a fortitude saving throw every hour, instead of every day affter the Incubation.)

White Mage Powder (Anthrax)
Infection DC: 16
Infection Type: Inhaled
Incubation: 1d6 days
Damage: 1d12 Con
Description: Symptoms include sore throat, mild fever, muscle aches and malaise. After a few days, the symptoms may progress to severe breathing problems and shock and ultimately death.

Why hello again, I have decided to showcase a handful of my homebrewed diseases from an evil campaign I have running. Here are just a few real world ones. If anyone wants to see some more of my diseases or wants me to post my poisons, let me know. Hope you like them and feel free to post your own. I will let you know what I think.

Here is the next batch of diseases.

Crackers Disease
Infection DC: 10
Infection Type: Injury (Crackers Thorns)
Incubation: 4d4 days
Damage: 2d6 Dex (see text)
Description: Symptoms include fever, headache, painful, aching joints and brittle bones.
(Crackers is caused by being stabbed by a Cracker plant's thorns. Once infected, the victim gets slower [decrease his speed by 5 ft to a minimum of 0] every two days that the character fails his save. When the victim's Dex reaches 0, his bones have fused together in his body and become very brittle. If he tries to force his body to move, his bones snap and break, dealing 10 points of damage every round.)

Purple Brain Gliding
Infection DC: 14
Infection type: Special
Incubation: 1 day
Damage: 1d8 Int/1d6 Cha/1d4 dex
Description: Symptoms include dizziness, confusion, headache, purple skin lesions, seizures and strokes.
(To become infected, a victim must have taken damage from a psion attack. The day after, her mind starts to reject its own mental powers, no matter how slight, and results in coma when the victim's Int reachs 0).

Orc Kiss
Infection DC: 9
Infection type: Contact
Incubation: 1d3 weeks
Damage: 5d3 Cha (to a minumum of 1) (see text) +1d4 Dex
Description: Symptoms include green scabby skin, black boils, swelling of the skin, benign tumors on the back and chest as well as the growing of long claws.
(This Disease causes it's victim to slowly turn uglier and uglier as the days go on, however some characters may wish to infect themselves with it so that they can gain the benefits of it. When a victim's Cha stat reaches 1, he grows long tumours on the ends of his hands. These tumours are harder than bone and can be used as a natural weapon. [They also increase Dex by 1d4.] The victim gains two claw attacks, each dealing 1d8 points of piercing damage.)

Temotei
2009-12-02, 12:44 AM
That's a pretty nasty disease. The third one. Well...they all kind of are. Hehe. :smalltongue: Nice job. I don't see any problems.

Corporate M
2009-12-02, 12:59 AM
Swine Flu:
Infection DC: 13
Incubation Period: 1d4 days
Infection Type: Inhaled or Contact
Effect: Those infected become sickened for five days, but all those who are within sight of the infected must make a will save DC 13 or become frightened from the hype.

lulz

But good job on those diseases. I love disease/poisons too. (If people didn't know already.. XP)

Latronis
2009-12-02, 03:15 AM
Swine Flu:
Effect: Those infected become sickened for five days, but all those who are within sight of the infected must make a will save DC 13 or become frightened from the hype.

lulz

But good job on those diseases. I love disease/poisons too. (If people didn't know already.. XP)

I lol'd

Do you plan on doing any nasty non-Con damage diseases?

Fortuna
2009-12-02, 04:53 AM
The Colour's Disease
Fort save DC 10+special

Infection: Living in an area under the influence of the Colour Out of Space
Incubation: 1 week
Save:

* Infection: DC 10 Fortitude, +1 for each prior save, +5 if ate food from infected are, +5 if drunk water from infected area.
* 1st Stage: Save DC from infection, +1 for each failed save, failure by 10 advances to next stage.
* 2nd Stage: Save DC from 1st Stage, +1 for each failed save, failure by 20 advances to third stage.
* 3rd Stage: Save DC from 2nd Stage, +1 for each failed save, failure by 30 advances to fourth stage.
* 4th Stage: No Save.

Effects:

* 1st stage: 1 damage to Wisdom and maximum hit points to a minimum of one.
* 2nd Stage: 1d4 damage to Wisdom to a minimum of one, lose 1/10 of maximum hit points, sickly grey colouration giving -2 to Diplomacy and Disguise checks.
* 3rd Stage: 1d4 Widom and Constitution damage to a minimum of one, begins turning to powder causing additional -2 to Diplomacy, Disguise and Concentration checks and Fortitude saves.
* 4th Stage: 1d4 damage to all ability scores (all except Constitution have minimum 1) each day.

If a character is removed from the affected area before the onset of the second stage, then a week of bedrest will cure them unless they reenter an affected area, in which case the DC resets to ten but any failure restores the DC to its previous position. A creature killed by the Colour's Disease collapses into dust, and requires a miracle spell to restore them. If remove curse is cast in the first stage, the disease is halted for one day/caster level. If greater remove curse is cast in the first stage the disease is cured, in the second stage the DC is reduced by caster level, and in the third the disease is only halted for one day/caster level. If the disease is halted, then treat the disease as being in the first stage. A miracle will cure the disease at any stage.

I posted this one a while back, but the thread died. This is my way of bringing it back without necro-ing!

Debihuman
2009-12-02, 05:34 AM
Swine Flu:

In D&D Swine Flu turns you into a pig, at least temporarily. Avian flu turns you into a bird only you are too sick to fly.

Debby

Innis Cabal
2009-12-02, 05:43 AM
Description: Symptoms includ fever, cough, and blood-tinged spit. As the disease progress, spit became free flowing and bright red.

Except your forgetting the painful swelling of the lymph nodes, which would probably be 1d4 dex damage on top of everything.

Brother Oni
2009-12-02, 01:50 PM

I'm not very familiar with the later versions of D&D, but some calculations tells me that this version isn't particular fatal.

Some assumptions: your average commoner has a Con 11 and having your Con being reduced to 0 or less results in death?

This would mean that a 3d4 Con damage disease has a ~3% chance of being fatal to your average commoner, well below the 30-60% mortality reported historically.

I'm going to do some more number crunching and see if I can find a more suitable die roll.

Harperfan7
2009-12-02, 02:01 PM
I'm not very familiar with the later versions of D&D, but some calculations tells me that this version isn't particular fatal.

Some assumptions: your average commoner has a Con 11 and having your Con being reduced to 0 or less results in death?

This would mean that a 3d4 Con damage disease has a ~3% chance of being fatal to your average commoner, well below the 30-60% mortality reported historically.

I'm going to do some more number crunching and see if I can find a more suitable die roll.

19 out of 20 people have the average array of scores (13,12,11,10,9,8).

So, 1/3 of 95% of commoners have a -1 mod to Con, and 1/6 of the elite 5% do too. Now, how many commoners are middle aged, old, or venerable (-1/3/6 to Con)? How many are already weakened from other common diseases? Don't forget, during times of war, famine, drought, or even the later stages of a plague, you don't always get what you need, meaning that you might be starving, dying of thirst, etc. making you even more vulnerable to disease. It's a crappy world for a commoner.

Letums Gate
2009-12-02, 03:26 PM
I lol'd

Do you plan on doing any nasty non-Con damage diseases?

I was planning on seeing how everyone reacted to the ones I had up, but if everyone wants them I can give out about three or four more diseases. I will get to work on finding them now.

Letums Gate
2009-12-02, 03:31 PM
That's a pretty nasty disease. The third one. Well...they all kind of are. Hehe. :smalltongue: Nice job. I don't see any problems.

I am glad you like them. I have always been a big fan of screwing my players over. I also threw in an Edgar Allen Poe reference in the name.

Demented
2009-12-02, 04:15 PM
19 out of 20 people have the average array of scores (13,12,11,10,9,8).
[...]
...It's a crappy world for a commoner.

And besides that...
That 1d6+1 days is only the incubation period.
Each day after you have to make a save or take another 3d4 Con damage.
You need to make two successive saves in order to be cured of the disease.

With a +0 Fort and no Con bonus, you've got a 5% chance of making each save.

Say goodbye to the majority of your town and city.

Temotei
2009-12-02, 04:57 PM
I have always been a big fan of screwing my players over.

This made me so happy. You don't even know. Well...now you do. :smallcool:

Letums Gate
2009-12-02, 06:09 PM
Well there are the next set let me know what you think ok.

Latronis
2009-12-02, 08:42 PM
Cracker's Disease is like an evilgasm waiting to happen.

Orc Kiss doesn't work as you intend by RAW:

Ability Score Loss
Some attacks reduce the opponent’s score in one or more abilities. This loss can be temporary (ability damage) or permanent (ability drain).

While any loss is debilitating, losing all points in an ability score can be devastating.

Strength 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He lies helpless on the ground.
Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless.
Constitution 0 means that the character is dead.
Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma-like stupor, helpless.
Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.

emphasis mine.

Letums Gate
2009-12-02, 09:23 PM
Cracker's Disease is like an evilgasm waiting to happen.

Orc Kiss doesn't work as you intend by RAW:

emphasis mine.

Thank you for pointing that out I will change the disease.

Brother Oni
2009-12-03, 11:58 AM
With a +0 Fort and no Con bonus, you've got a 5% chance of making each save.

Say goodbye to the majority of your town and city.

In that case, the target DC is far too high. Assuming no con modifier, you'd need a DC9 to have a ~30% chance of survival.

With a -1 to Con, the survival rate drops to 25%.

I suppose for PCs, you'd need this sort of challenge to make diseases a worthy threat, but don't let them near the NPCs.

White Mage Powder (Anthrax)
Infection DC: 16
Infection Type: Inhaled
Incubation: 1d6 days
Damage: 1d12 Con
Description: Symptoms include sore throat, mild fever, muscle aches and malaise. After a few days, the symptoms may progress to severe breathing problems and shock and ultimately death.

Interesting that you've gone for the systemic version rather than the contact version of anthrax.
Historically, anthrax that went systemic resulted in a 92% mortality and the patient's blood went black due to all the anthrax spores present.

Maybe have a contact version with a lower Infection DC and lower Con Damage but add 1d4 Cha damage due to the unsightly black lesions formed?

Letums Gate
2009-12-05, 01:12 AM
In that case, the target DC is far too high. Assuming no con modifier, you'd need a DC9 to have a ~30% chance of survival.

With a -1 to Con, the survival rate drops to 25%.

I suppose for PCs, you'd need this sort of challenge to make diseases a worthy threat, but don't let them near the NPCs.

Interesting that you've gone for the systemic version rather than the contact version of anthrax.
Historically, anthrax that went systemic resulted in a 92% mortality and the patient's blood went black due to all the anthrax spores present.

Maybe have a contact version with a lower Infection DC and lower Con Damage but add 1d4 Cha damage due to the unsightly black lesions formed?

I am sorry I have been gone so long working on some new stuff.

Anyway, as for the Black Death's I went with I decided to go with a high mortality rate considering that only about 10% or so of those who were infected lived. It nearly wiped out all of Europe so I made a disease just as strong to the commoners. It is of barely any real threat to a PC, in truth, since they have healing magic at hand, but those who don't are kind of screwed. If these diseases are spread by an evil mage, well then its up to the PC's to save the land mass by finding a cure. Now as for the contact version of Anthrax, I was planning to make another version as soon as I got some time. I will be working on it now and add it as well as two or three new diseases.

Brother Oni
2009-12-06, 08:21 AM
Anyway, as for the Black Death's I went with I decided to go with a high mortality rate considering that only about 10% or so of those who were infected lived. It nearly wiped out all of Europe so I made a disease just as strong to the commoners. It is of barely any real threat to a PC, in truth, since they have healing magic at hand, but those who don't are kind of screwed. If these diseases are spread by an evil mage, well then its up to the PC's to save the land mass by finding a cure.

Well your current survival rate is about 0.25% for the average commoner, so of a large early medieval city of 80,000 people you have 200 people surviving the plague, assuming a 100% infection rate from exposure.

The historical mortality for the Black Death was 'only' 30-60%, but probability and population density in those days meant that small settlements tended to be wiped out completely, giving rise to your observed 10% survival rate.

Of course if you're talking about weaponised diseases, then I see no problem with your current values.