PDA

View Full Version : [4.0] The Last Breaths of Ashenport - Advice

Danin
2009-12-01, 09:53 PM
First of all, my players keep out (That means you Nick!)

Now that that's out of the way, I managed to find a copy of the 4.0 updated module "The Last Breaths of Ashenport". I read it and was amazed, enjoying the flavor and style. That said, I have almost no experience with 4.0 and would like a little advice from people who have gotten a chance to look at the adventure.

1. Is there anything should know about before running this adventure that would help add to the background?

2. If you have played it, how hard was it? My players have a fair head for optimization and I'd like them to remain challenged.

3. What were your general opinions on the module? Was there anything you as a DM or your DM did when running it that made the campaign that much more enjoyable?

Any assistance would be most welcome. The target date is Saturday.

Danin
2009-12-02, 10:36 AM
One shameless bump for posterity's sake.

FoE
2009-12-02, 12:10 PM
As I've never played it, I can't tell you much about The Shadow Over Innsmouth The Last Breaths of Ashenport. (Hey, the writer himself made that joke. :smalltongue:) But I can say that it looks more than OK as an adventure.

I heard the rainy terrain is very punishing for the PCs when you're outside. And I don't know how well your PCs will react to the Call of Dagon if they don't at least get a save.

I'll note that the Last Breath of Ashenport came out fairly early, and since then we've seen some pretty major changes concerning monster design and skill challenges. I don't have my DMG2 in front of me, but if you happen to have a copy, I would look at re-designing the skill challenges and especially the Solo monsters in this module.

Given the length of fights in 4E, the module might take you a couple of gaming sessions to get through unless you cut corners.

Mostly, I'm worried about how familiar you are with the rules of 4E. Most of teh newbs start out at Level 1. You are apparently starting out with an adventure designed for Level 8 players, who are still Heroic Tier but still somewhat more complex than Level 1 adventurers.

EDIT: One strange thing I noted: the Wrath of Dagon is a Level 10 Solo, and yet the encounter level is listed as Level 8.

Blackfang108
2009-12-02, 01:18 PM
The monsters are tough, but not impossible.

One note:

CHANGE THE SWIM CHECK DC FOR THE TENTACLE WELLS.

Three people nearly died (my Avenger twice, and our Rogue) because it was (Numerically) impossible for us to make the Swimming Athletics DC.

Keep it tough, but make it possible for any PCs to hit the DC. (Maybe lowering the Swim and Endurance DCs by 5? That would have been enough to keep it difficult but still possible.)

EDIT: It's a level 8 encounter because of the overall XP earned from it, IIRC.

Danin
2009-12-02, 05:18 PM
Well, as to my own personal experience with 4th ed, I've played through "Keep on the Shadowfell", a 5th level one (the name of which escapes me at the moment) and a... 10th or 11th level one, during which I learned that Grells suck and Tempests are fun. So, while I have a fair hand in playing, I am not all together familiar with running such a game.

I'll keep note of the swim checks. At the moment the group is looking like an Avenger, a Sorcerer, a Warlord, and 2 others yet to be named (looking like a Wizard and a Warden or Fighter). Not the most athletic group all around.

The weather didn't look too terribly crippling, but I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

I don't actually have the DMG 2, so is there any advice which you could give me (Within the bounds of the forum guidelines of course) in how to make the solo encounters more dynamic? I know there is one that is encountered at the bottom of the cliffs of Innsmouth Ashenport seems dynamic, with it's suggested strategy to sleep people, grapple one, and drag it to a watery death.

Any other advice?

CockroachTeaParty
2009-12-02, 05:45 PM
I DM'd this module. Everything was going fine, until the very last, final encounter.

They TPK'd like helpless little girls.

Looking at the monsters included in the final battle, it is a little on the absurd side. I think they are all a bit under CR'd. If you want your party to survive the fight, I suggest making them less nasty somehow. Either drop their attack bonus, AC, defenses, or something, or else hope that your players roll really well.

Mando Knight
2009-12-02, 06:18 PM
If the skill DCs are too high, drop them all by 5, as in accordance with the altered DC-by-level tables.

A Cosmic or Dragon Sorcerer, the Defender, and the Warlord should have no problem with the Swim checks, especially if they've got Athletics trained. The Wizard is the only one that doesn't have Athletics on his skill list.