PDA

View Full Version : Eberron - the day of mourning

AngelOmnipotent
2009-12-01, 10:03 PM
Pretty much as the title says: has there been any official writing on what exactly caused the Day of Mourning? I know there are a lot of wizards-written NPC-based rumours and guesses, but any OOC confirmation of "this is what happened?"

Mongoose87
2009-12-01, 10:05 PM
It's kind of the "big mystery" for Eberron, like the Lady of Pain was for Planescape. It's open-ended, so you can decide as you will.

Naturax
2009-12-01, 10:05 PM
Pretty much as the title says: has there been any official writing on what exactly caused the Day of Mourning? I know there are a lot of wizards-written NPC-based rumours and guesses, but any OOC confirmation of "this is what happened?"

That will never, ever come. WotC has promised that there will never be an official explanation given. Instead, it is one of the many mysteries of Eberron that you are encouraged to explain, or not, in your own campaigns in your own way.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-12-01, 10:06 PM
That will never, ever come. WotC has promised that there will never be an official explanation given. Instead, it is one of the many mysteries of Eberron that you are encouraged to explain, or not, in your own campaigns in your own way.

Ah, just the answer I wanted to hear. I have a huge plot explosion that revolves around there not being an official cause written. Thank you!

Ryuuk
2009-12-01, 10:06 PM
There may be something in 4th edition if it advanced the setting, but from my knowledge the stance in 3.5 was that each DM got the final say on what actually happened for their game. There was no official explanation.

Aron Times
2009-12-01, 10:28 PM
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: There is a 4e epic destiny called the Mourning Savior, who grants immunity to the harmful effects of the Mournland to himself and his party. When the Mourning Savior finishes his Destiny Quest, he heals the Mournland, possibly sacrificing himself in the process. The epic destiny write-up only says that the Mourning Savior somehow figures out how to fix the Mournland, and doesn't say anything at about how it was created nor how it will be fixed.

AslanCross
2009-12-01, 10:59 PM
Wizards sources only give theoretical reasons. They will never give an official explanation because that's supposed to be the Mournland's hook: solve its mysteries. Any explanation makes it a lot more mundane and just another disaster area.

Theories I've seen (though I can't remember where) are:

1. The Lord of Blades did it and plans to do it again.
2. It might be possible to cause a similar cataclysm if the proper magic schemas are combined (Magic of Eberron).
3. Planar alignment.

I'm sure there are others.

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-02, 01:14 AM
There may be something in 4th edition if it advanced the setting [...]

Which it didn't, by the way. There were two changes made, but the setting was otherwise entirely unaltered.

(One, a small number of refugees from Ohr Kaluun made it to the western coast of Khorvaire around the time the Inspired declared them anathema, and their descendants survive to this day; and two, several of Thelanis's strange worldfall cities were stranded on Eberron as the Mourning threw them out of alignment.)

But yeah, the Day of Mourning is unexplained and will stay that way. Of dubious hints and theories you'll see plenty, but I don't think you'll ever see it spelled out (but it's not as if D&D's never botched a core setting detail before, of course, just look at Dark Sun and to a much lesser extent Planescape.)