PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Weapons

AtwasAwamps
2009-12-01, 10:31 PM
I'm trying to find information on "Heavy Weapons", the weapon property that makes weapons...umm...heavy, and slightly stronger. Where could I find it?

erikun
2009-12-01, 10:34 PM
3.0 Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, I believe. It's a properity associated with Gold or other heavy metals. It increases the die size of weapons. (so a heavy greatsword deals 2d8 damage)

It might be in 3.5 Forgotten Realms also, I never checked.

Darrin
2009-12-01, 10:37 PM
I'm trying to find information on "Heavy Weapons", the weapon property that makes weapons...umm...heavy, and slightly stronger. Where could I find it?

Magic of Faerun p. 179.

It isn't in the Player's Guide.

Person_Man
2009-12-02, 10:38 AM
Heavy Weapons increases the damage die of the weapon based on a set chart. It requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency to wield correctly, which is not worth spending a feat on. Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526) might use them though.

herrhauptmann
2009-12-02, 11:11 AM
You can also pay to for a magic enhancement that makes them not as heavy, I forget what the name is, but it's in Magic of Faerun, and is a +2 equivalent.

Eldariel
2009-12-02, 12:19 PM
Heavy Weapons increases the damage die of the weapon based on a set chart. It requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency to wield correctly, which is not worth spending a feat on. Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526) might use them though.

EWP can occasionally be worth it in some builds that stack a sufficient number of size category increasers, much like Kaorti Resin EWP is worthwhile in some specialized Critical-based builds.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-02, 12:23 PM
EWP can occasionally be worth it in some builds that stack a sufficient number of size category increasers, much like Kaorti Resin EWP is worthwhile in some specialized Critical-based builds.Except that the size increases usualy aren't worth it. Until you hit Gargantuan, you're spending feats/class features/magic items on less than 4 extra points of damage. It's worth it if you have access to CL 20 Greater Mighty Wallop(especially when combined with Major Titan Bloodline), but otherwise, you generally can't afford it.

Eldariel
2009-12-02, 12:31 PM
Except that the size increases usualy aren't worth it. Until you hit Gargantuan, you're spending feats/class features/magic items on less than 4 extra points of damage. It's worth it if you have access to CL 20 Greater Mighty Wallop(especially when combined with Major Titan Bloodline), but otherwise, you generally can't afford it.

Hence why I said "occasionally". 16d8 > 24d8 is well worth a feat. This is the basis of Tashalatoran God of Smack, for example (it uses Heavy Gauntlets IIRC).

JackQ
2009-12-02, 12:34 PM
Could you make an already exotic weapon (e.g., spiked chain) heavy and use just one EWP? Seems mechanically superior.

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-02, 12:36 PM
Or be a Warblade? would that get round it?

Darrin
2009-12-02, 11:52 PM
Or be a Warblade? would that get round it?

No, a Warblade still has to spend a feat on EWP. However, he can switch that EWP to another weapon if something more interesting comes along with an hour of meditation/practice/etc.