PDA

View Full Version : Trip Attacks

Temotei
2009-12-02, 12:40 AM
Okay. I hate to ask this, because I was sure I knew. But...are trip attacks allowed while armed? I always thought they were, but now I'm doubting myself. Here's the entry in the SRD. Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#trip).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-02, 12:42 AM
Many weapons allow you to trip with them.

Temotei
2009-12-02, 12:46 AM
Many weapons allow you to trip with them.

But you're not allowed to trip when holding a weapon that isn't one of those weapons? I should have been more clear.

erikun
2009-12-02, 12:47 AM
I had always assumed that you could make trip attempts with both hands full, simply because you can make an unarmed attack with knees, feets, etc.

A quick search through the SRD does not explicitly state what an "unarmed strike" is, so unless it is spelled out somewhere, I can't say if it "must" be a fist strike or could be a strike from another body part. The monk entry does specifically state monk unarmed strikes can use feet, etc. so a monk can definitely trip with his hands full.

Note that if you are wielding a two-handed weapon, you can always hold it in one hand for a single attack. Thus, anyone wielding a two-handed weapon can definitely make unarmed strikes (and thus, trip attempts).

herrhauptmann
2009-12-02, 12:47 AM
But you're not allowed to trip when holding a weapon that isn't one of those weapons? I should have been more clear.

Sounds about right. Either be unarmed, or use a weapon that says you can trip, like flail or spiked chain.

Temotei
2009-12-02, 01:09 AM
I had always assumed that you could make trip attempts with both hands full, simply because you can make an unarmed attack with knees, feets, etc.

A quick search through the SRD does not explicitly state what an "unarmed strike" is, so unless it is spelled out somewhere, I can't say if it "must" be a fist strike or could be a strike from another body part. The monk entry does specifically state monk unarmed strikes can use feet, etc. so a monk can definitely trip with his hands full.

Note that if you are wielding a two-handed weapon, you can always hold it in one hand for a single attack. Thus, anyone wielding a two-handed weapon can definitely make unarmed strikes (and thus, trip attempts).

Sounds about right. Either be unarmed, or use a weapon that says you can trip, like flail or spiked chain.

Well...crap.

ericgrau
2009-12-02, 01:20 AM
This. You are always allowed to hold a two-handed weapon in 1 hand as long as you aren't swinging it. That frees up the other hand for tripping.

Or else the rules are ambiguous about unarmed strikes. Since leg sweeping is the most classic form of tripping, it makes perfect sense to allow it for anyone.

Temotei
2009-12-02, 01:23 AM
This. You are always allowed to hold a two-handed weapon in 1 hand as long as you aren't swinging it. That frees up the other hand for tripping.

Or else the rules are ambiguous about unarmed strikes. Since leg sweeping is the most classic form of tripping, it makes perfect sense to allow it for anyone.

Thanks. I needed to make a feat choice between Improved Feint and Improved Trip, but if I couldn't make a trip attack while I was holding my weapon, I was going to take Improved Feint. Thanks everyone. :smallsmile:

sonofzeal
2009-12-02, 01:29 AM
Thanks. I needed to make a feat choice between Improved Feint and Improved Trip, but if I couldn't make a trip attack while I was holding my weapon, I was going to take Improved Feint. Thanks everyone. :smallsmile:
....what level are you playing at?

Improved Feint works well at low level before iteratives and multiple attacks, as it's basically a free AC reducer if it works and no harm if it doesn't. At higher though, it's rarely useful and the DC scales fast. Not worth it unless you're a Rogue (and even then it takes some dedication).

Improved Trip is famously effective at all levels, especially with a reach weapon and Combat Reflexes.

ghashxx
2009-12-02, 02:08 AM
This is really interesting and kind makes me rethink some of my old campaigns and how certain things would definitely just not work.