PDA

View Full Version : mission of the archon's

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 02:42 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html

based on the capabilities and limitations, what do you speculate roy wanted his archon to do for him when he left?

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-02, 02:44 AM
It has to be something that Roy's Archon can do, maybe look up some dead people. As far as I am aware, the Order do not know what happened to...SOD spoilers

Lirian and Dorukan's souls

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 02:52 AM
true, but if eugene is going to be a D like he was then why would he help roy out?

i think that he likes being in kinda sorta limbo. gives him a vaunted sense of purpose.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-02, 02:58 AM
Yes, but Eugene also wants Xykon destroyed and it's about the only thing he has in common with his son. He's even given help to Roy despite the fact he doubts that Roy is capable of doing such a hting.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 03:07 AM
but i don't think he wants xyrkon dead really, then what would he have to complain about? i think he is the type of person who is not content unless he has something to be bitter about.

in fact i could see him sabotaging roy in order to continue his bitterness, which i think will then be cast upon julia, who (IMO) has some pretty amazing potential in future stories (other than as bait).

but that is off the subject a bit and i believe you may have the right of it in the first place...

btw, what is SoD?

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-02, 03:18 AM
You have Start of Darkness? Re-read the last page, Eugene sure does want to get into the afterlife.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 03:19 AM
what is start of darkness?

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-02, 03:22 AM
It's a prequel (http://www.giantitp.com/GIPOTS99.html)

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-02, 03:24 AM
oooooh.

now i know what to get myself for christmas!!!!

thanks

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-02, 03:28 AM
Well anyway, here's what it says in SoD since you can't look it up...

The scene is very similar to Roy's interview to get into the afterlife (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html) and Eugene is very, very angry when he learns his Blood Oath of Vengeance makes him inelligible to ascend and is even angrier when he learns that it has to be Roy who fulfils it unless he dies trying

Morquard
2009-12-02, 06:16 AM
Well anyway, here's what it says in SoD since you can't look it up...

The scene is very similar to Roy's interview to get into the afterlife (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html) and Eugene is very, very angry when he learns his Blood Oath of Vengeance makes him inelligible to ascend and is even angrier when he learns that it has to be Roy who fulfils it unless he dies trying

Not really spoilerworthy (i think most/all of it was in the webcomic), but to be sure:
Which could still mean he's sabotaging Roy willingly. Why?
He doesn't believe Roy has the slightest shred of a chance, cause you know Mage >>>> Fighter, and even Sorcerer >>> Fighter at least, and all that.
So in his view Roy has already failed, but till Roy is really dead, Julia - the wizard, and therefore logical choice for this - can't attempt to kill Xykon to fulfill the blood oath.
So Roy has to go (again) if Julia is going to have a shot at it.

Hmm, that makes you wonder: Did he appear to Julia while Roy was in the afterlife "Sorry to tell you, but your stupid brother died, go and avenge us both!"? :)

SaintRidley
2009-12-02, 09:33 AM
He may like Julia, but I'd be curious as to whether Julia would even care too much to be bothered with it right now. She is what, level 1? 3 maybe?

Kol Korran
2009-12-02, 10:32 AM
Which could still mean he's sabotaging Roy willingly. Why?
He doesn't believe Roy has the slightest shred of a chance, cause you know Mage >>>> Fighter, and even Sorcerer >>> Fighter at least, and all that.
So in his view Roy has already failed, but till Roy is really dead, Julia - the wizard, and therefore logical choice for this - can't attempt to kill Xykon to fulfill the blood oath.
So Roy has to go (again) if Julia is going to have a shot at it.

Hmm, that makes you wonder: Did he appear to Julia while Roy was in the afterlife "Sorry to tell you, but your stupid brother died, go and avenge us both!"? :)

i think Eugene is a right twerp, and far from a good father, but i really don't think he'll go to such a length as try and get his son killed, blood vengence or no.
as to the OP question, i have no idea what the little archon might do, my hope is that he asked him to look after and spend some time with his brother. then again- it wouldn't be mentioned like this if it had. there needs to be some more interesting significance.

rewinn
2009-12-02, 11:46 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html

based on the capabilities and limitations, what do you speculate roy wanted his archon to do for him when he left?

The least interesting (although perhaps most useful) possibility, IMO, would be running around the Afterlife chatting up useful people, e.g. wizards with experience fighting liches, and using its powers of teleportation and speak-languages to convey messages to key players.

More interesting, if it were possible, would be using its power of Darkvision to seek out the phylactery and tell Team Peregrine.Hilarity ensues!

Asta Kask
2009-12-02, 11:50 AM
Perhaps he is seeking to learn more about Xykon. Face it, information is probably his best ally at the moment.

Morquard
2009-12-02, 01:02 PM
i think Eugene is a right twerp, and far from a good father, but i really don't think he'll go to such a length as try and get his son killed, blood vengence or no.
True I don't really think he'll do that, I just said it would not go completely against his character either

Chatting up dead people... yeah possibly. I don't know the D&D mechanics exactly regarding plane travel, but the evil adventure group was most likely alive when they plane shifted infront of Roy and Horace, if even only for another 3 seconds.
Is there a way for dead people to go back to the mortal world, even if only for a very limited time?
But then again, he did the "dead army" thing with the Ghost Martyrs already, and Dorukan used Gate to bring in an army of celestials So not sure Rich will do either of that again, or a combination.

So it will probably be something else

HotAndCold
2009-12-02, 05:15 PM
He may like Julia, but I'd be curious as to whether Julia would even care too much to be bothered with it right now. She is what, level 1? 3 maybe?

She's a level 3 Wizard.

SPoD
2009-12-02, 07:15 PM
My bet on the Archon's mission is to deliver a message to some other dead soul and provide the means for that soul to take decisive action when the time is needed. Someone we know is dead like Miko or Shojo or Soon.

averagejoe
2009-12-02, 07:38 PM
It has to be something that Roy's Archon can do, maybe look up some dead people. As far as I am aware, the Order do not know what happened to...SOD spoilers

Lirian and Dorukan's souls

At the least this is incomplete. Roy's Archon says that he has "no idea if it will work," implying that some sort of action will be taken beyond simple information gathering. Having a/many spirits take action is more likely, but RA's phrasing, and also my aesthetic sensibilites, make me somewhat leery of this.

true, but if eugene is going to be a D like he was then why would he help roy out?

i think that he likes being in kinda sorta limbo. gives him a vaunted sense of purpose.

As a general response to claims like this, also note that Eugene offers to help Roy by scrying on Xykon in the strip that was originally linked. He was even smiling as he said it. Eugene may not be anyone's favorite person, but he's still one of the good guys.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-12-02, 08:09 PM
My bet on the Archon's mission is to deliver a message to some other dead soul and provide the means for that soul to take decisive action when the time is needed. Someone we know is dead like Miko or Shojo or Soon.

Miko: Plausible, when Roy was at the Oracle's, he did react to learning about Miko's death and a huge point was made about him remembering what he learned.

Shojo: Unlikely, Shojo indicated he was unwilling to concern himself with the material plane by refusing resurrection. He's also not Lawful, and no longer has the power or resources that made him such a useful ally.

Members of the Order of the Scribble: Also plausible. Roy's Archon may be referring to the difficulty involved with convincing them that their concerns about HOW the gates are defended are irrelevant, just so long as they are.

SaintRidley
2009-12-02, 09:10 PM
She's a level 3 Wizard.

Thought so.

She really is in no position whatsoever to get anywhere near Eugene's Blood Oath. Eugene, despite all his inattentiveness, is surely smart enough to understand that Roy stands a much better chance of surviving even a conversation with Xykon than a level 3 wizard does.

averagejoe
2009-12-02, 09:31 PM
Miko: Plausible, when Roy was at the Oracle's, he did react to learning about Miko's death and a huge point was made about him remembering what he learned.

On the other hand everybody really doesn't like her, and she still blames the Order for a lot of the bad stuff that has happened.

Tricksy Hobbits
2009-12-02, 09:34 PM
The Archon could be sent to get Shojo to convince Miko to help The OotS. Soon mentioned redemption while appearing to her just prior to her death, and Shojo might enjoy guilting her and throwing Mr. Scruffy's litter box at her.

Zea mays
2009-12-02, 09:38 PM

Maybe he wants him to check on Belkar's fast approaching after-life fate? :smallconfused:

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-03, 01:32 AM
great suggestions all... how bout this one though...

(dont know how to spoiler) what if roy's archon recruits every high level LG pc that dies and is about to get rezzed to help them? remember that one guy at the revolving doors...

and as for eugene i think he is happy in his bitterness, i was just sugesting that maybe he would never like to go up the mountain... and that by staying where he is he has a much better chance to revel in his bitterness.

the reason he so eagerly helped roy scry that time was because he was about to loose one of his favorite outlets for his bitterness.

Morquard
2009-12-03, 03:36 AM
The Archon could be sent to get Shojo to convince Miko to help The OotS. Soon mentioned redemption while appearing to her just prior to her death, and Shojo might enjoy guilting her and throwing Mr. Scruffy's litter box at her.
And why in the world would the possibly want to ask Miko to be on their side?
I mean, seriously, I can't think of a single reason why Roy would want HER back after the way he talked to her the last time.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-12-04, 01:33 PM
And why in the world would the possibly want to ask Miko to be on their side?
I mean, seriously, I can't think of a single reason why Roy would want HER back after the way he talked to her the last time.

Character development. Roy listed all the people who wouldn't have a place in Xykon's world, and include "Hell, even raging narcssistic paladins," grudgingly admitting that despite her flaws and his personal experience with her, Miko did have some good in her.

Roy also doesn't seem petty enough to ignore the fact that just because he doesn't get along with someone doesn't mean they can't be useful. He knows that Miko is skilled and could easily be an ally in the fight against Xykon if she knew (and accepted) the facts. Also, he may just resent someone thinking he would work with Xykon and be wanting to set Miko straight on that.

Brendan
2009-12-04, 04:11 PM
Possibly he just want's the archon to look after his family in the afterlife and maybe inform his family of what is currently happening.

Malek2991
2009-12-05, 12:47 AM
ummm... The Lawful Good Lantern Archon, might have a problem convincing Lord Shojo of anything since he's in The Chaotic Good afterlife... Miko is possible but unlikely. I assume Roy's Archon is going to gather some celestial help from stronger celestials than himself.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-06, 10:41 PM
i believe that miko has earned a spot in the LN line... i dont think that she would be on the mountain... not till she gets her redemption on, which is a little hard in the afterlife... unless she went to paladin purgatory... then who knows.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-06, 10:45 PM
the archon could be asked to hang with eugene and make him more agreeable and nicer. and then he could help them find Girard's gate with his illusion magic.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-07, 02:18 AM
ok so getting back to topic, i have

5 votes for recruiting direct intervention

3 votes for researching info

1 vote for taking care of the family

miss anything?

Turkish Delight
2009-12-07, 11:38 AM
miss anything?

He wants the Archon to convince the powers-that-be to let his mom send down regular bowls of that Jambalaya he loves so much.

Totally Guy
2009-12-07, 11:54 AM
I vote Roy's Archon will track down Belkar in whichever afterlife he's in after he's dead.

Then he'll taunt him in a "Roy knows best"/"This is a conclusion" kind of way.