PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 dragon born of bahamut

toddex
2009-12-02, 05:29 AM
So break it down for me, you lose what of your original race?

My understanding is if you were to do this with warforged you keep the stat adjustments and natural attacks but lose all the immunities?

Eldariel
2009-12-02, 05:39 AM
So break it down for me, you lose what of your original race?

My understanding is if you were to do this with warforged you keep the stat adjustments and natural attacks but lose all the immunities?

Warforged is kinda pesky 'cause it's Living Construct. The "Dragonborn Racial Traits" claims Dragonborn are Humanoid (Dragonblood)s while the "Mechanics of Rebirth" claim you retain your original type. I don't remember where, but I recall reading only Humanoids can take the Dragonborn ritual. Quick scan through the book reveals no such limitations. But yeah, basically you lose everything except:
- Stat adjustments
- Movement modes
- Stuff derived from your type
- Size and obvious stuff like that

Everything else goes in favor of the Dragonborn abilities. That's why Dragonborn Water Orc is so nice; you get the great adjustments, lose Light Sensitivity and even retain your Swim-speed while losing the vulnerability to fire.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-02, 06:06 AM
Warforged is kinda pesky 'cause it's Living Construct. The "Dragonborn Racial Traits" claims Dragonborn are Humanoid (Dragonblood)s while the "Mechanics of Rebirth" claim you retain your original type. I don't remember where, but I recall reading only Humanoids can take the Dragonborn ritual. Quick scan through the book reveals no such limitations. But yeah, basically you lose everything except:
- Stat adjustments
- Movement modes
- Stuff derived from your type
- Size and obvious stuff like that

Everything else goes in favor of the Dragonborn abilities. That's why Dragonborn Water Orc is so nice; you get the great adjustments, lose Light Sensitivity and even retain your Swim-speed while losing the vulnerability to fire.

I think either an FAQ or some errata corrected the bit on how any creature type can become dragonborn, they just used "Humanoid" for simplicity sake rather than writing it up as an actual godforsaken template like it is.:smallyuk:

Prime32
2009-12-02, 06:08 AM
In other words your type after the ritual will be Construct (dragonblood, living construct).

Dragonborn warforged saints with Adamantine Body and warforged juggernaut levels are freaking hard to kill.

There's been more debate on dragonborn shifters. Even if they lose shifting they would still qualify for feats which modify it, which might mean that they could still gain a form of shifting via Extra Shifter Trait.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-02, 06:17 AM
There's been more debate on dragonborn shifters. Even if they lose shifting they would still qualify for feats which modify it, which might mean that they could still gain a form of shifting via Extra Shifter Trait.

That or take levels in Bloodclaw Master to gain extra uses of shifting...

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-02, 06:47 AM
Water Orc is particularly good for this.

Keep the stat mods. Beef up Con more. Keep the swim speed. Lose the vulnerabilities to fire things, lose the light sensitivity.

Also lose the darkvision, but eh. You end up on the winning end.

El Chupaqueso
2009-12-02, 08:59 AM
So, if a Dragonborn Warforged stays a living construct, would it end up looking like a regular Dragonborn made out of stone, wood, and metal? Because if so, that is pretty much the most awesome thing.

Person_Man
2009-12-02, 09:51 AM
In case anyone wants to read the race, it's on the WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1).

Also, if one of my players wants to be a Dragonborn Water Orc (or some other somewhat abusive combo) I make them start as a normal Water Orc, and go on a side quest to discover their Dragonborn-ness. Such a perk shouldn't be available for "free."

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-02, 11:08 AM
In case anyone wants to read the race, it's on the WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1).

Also, if one of my players wants to be a Dragonborn Water Orc (or some other somewhat abusive combo) I make them start as a normal Water Orc, and go on a side quest to discover their Dragonborn-ness. Such a perk shouldn't be available for "free."It's not free. They need to be able to read and understand the Dragonborn rules, and that isn't easy.

On a related note, would it kill WotC to hire a decent editor?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 12:43 PM
On a related note, would it kill WotC to hire a decent editor?

yes:smalltongue:

Grushvak
2009-12-02, 12:44 PM
I just happen to be playing a human cleric of Bahamut in one of my ongoing campaigns. The two other players are his brothers: respectively a VoP human druid of Bahamut and a human paladin of Bahamut.

I'll bring this up to my DM and see if he can't work it into the story. Would humans lose their bonus feat by undergoing this transformation? Anyway, even if they do, it's all kinds of awesome for flavor purposes alone. Plus, I love taking Draconic Aura feats, and being Dragonblood subtype makes it even more appealing.

Gorbash
2009-12-02, 12:47 PM
For simplicity's sake, you could call that new race Dragonforged.

Kosjsjach
2009-12-02, 12:52 PM
Would humans lose their bonus feat by undergoing this transformation?

In a word, yes. For clarification, see the "Mechanics of Rebirth" sidebar on p10 of Races of the Dragon.

Wings of Peace
2009-12-02, 12:58 PM
Why Water Orc? How about a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk? :smallsmile:

Kosjsjach
2009-12-02, 01:06 PM
It's not as optimized as a Dragonborn Water Orc, but once made a Dragonborn Desert Half-Orc Dragonfire Adept. Worked out to +4 Con -2 Dex -2 Int, gained Draconic Aspect, and lost the Run feat. Oh no. :smalltongue:

Would've liked to have gotten a chance to play him, too. His name was Saleh Alim (courtesy of the Behind the Name generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/)) and he was going to talk in the best Arabic accent I could muster (which, admittedly, would still be pretty crappy). :smallredface:

toddex
2009-12-02, 01:30 PM
Why Water Orc? How about a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk? :smallsmile:

This was my second choice if the WF lost the slam attack :(

Prime32
2009-12-02, 02:54 PM
There's some race with crazy stat mods and a vow of silence which loses the latter if it becomes a dragonborn. Can't remember the name though.

Wings of Peace
2009-12-02, 03:01 PM
There's some race with crazy stat mods and a vow of silence which loses the latter if it becomes a dragonborn. Can't remember the name though.

Argh. I know the race I just can't remember the name. I think it's from the Planar Handbook it's the big handed dudes with the weird faces.

Kosjsjach
2009-12-02, 03:57 PM

Really? Buommans lose their "vow against speech"? I suppose... the Mechanics of Rebirth says you lose "all other racial traits"...

Still, a Buomman Dragonborn seems odd (though no more odd than, say, a Dragonborn Water Orc :smallwink:).

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-02, 04:12 PM
Why is the vow against speech such a big penalty since IIRC they are exceptional singers (just rapping out you battle plans seems like a viable loophole)

Grushvak
2009-12-02, 04:14 PM
Why is the vow against speech such a big penalty since IIRC they are exceptional singers (just rapping out you battle plans seems like a viable loophole)

If only all loopholes could be that hilarious.

Kosjsjach
2009-12-02, 04:17 PM

That seems like a viable loophole by RAW of their racial traits, but their "Personality" paragraph says they only speak Buommi, "which appear[s] to be more music than actual language."

Person_Man
2009-12-02, 05:15 PM
For simplicity's sake, you could call that new race Dragonforged.

No, that makes too much sense. I think WotC would call it a Dragforged of Warhamut.

Grushvak
2009-12-02, 05:17 PM
No, that makes too much sense. I think WotC would call it a Dragforged of Warhamut.

Why did I immediately see a purple warforged wielding two battleaxes and wearing lacey women's underwear?