PDA

View Full Version : Two-weapon rend Rangers

Wermus
2009-12-02, 01:32 PM
Hi! Sorry to intrude but I have a lil' doubt with Two-Weapon Rend (3.5). My friend is a Ranger. In Spanish (Manual de Jugador II) it says that a Ranger can make use of this feat as long as he has +11 BAB and is wearing light or no armor. In English (Player Handbook II) it says you can select this feat as long as you have the same requirements.
Does it means that he need to deny his combat mastery in order to get this or he get both of them?

Harperfan7
2009-12-02, 01:35 PM
It's greater two weapon fighting, not two weapon rend.

Wermus
2009-12-02, 01:38 PM
Two weapon rend is in Player handbook 2 and im asking if he need to choose between them or get both.:smalleek:

Tavar
2009-12-02, 01:38 PM
I believe that you may either get greater two weapon fighting or two weapon rend.

nekomata2
2009-12-02, 01:40 PM
Two Weapon Rend says that a ranger may take it if he has chosen the two weapon style, has a BAB of +11, and wears light or no armor, so...

He has to spend a feat on it, likely 12th, since you qualify at 11th with no feat slot, and it lets him ignore the Dex and TWF feat requirement, as long as he wears light or no armor.

Edit: to clarify, in the special text:

A ranger...can select Two-Weapon Rend as long as...

The fact that it says you select the feat means you have to take the feat, its not something you get for free, rangers ignore the normal prereqs.

Tavar
2009-12-02, 01:42 PM
Two Weapon Rend says that a ranger may take it if he has chosen the two weapon style, has a BAB of +11, and wears light or no armor, so...

He has to spend a feat on it, likely 12th, since you qualify at 11th with no feat slot, and it lets him ignore the Dex and TWF feat requirement, as long as he wears light or no armor.

That makes little sense, even for DnD. Effectively, that means rangers automatically get a worse version of the feat.

Grumman
2009-12-02, 01:44 PM
That makes little sense, even for DnD. Effectively, that means rangers automatically get a worse version of the feat.
That's the price you pay for getting the prerequisites for free.

nekomata2
2009-12-02, 01:45 PM

How? Selecting the two-weapon style does not actually grant the ranger two-weapon fighting, he is only treated as having it. A ranger who wanted two-weapon rend without the Special woud have to waste one of his normal feat slots to get TWF to even qualify.

Edit: Even the light armor thing, the ranger only gets the benefits of the combat style while where less than medium armor. So the special is basically once you have the feat, you only qualify for it while you qualify for your combat style...makes sense to me.

Wermus
2009-12-02, 01:56 PM
How? Selecting the two-weapon style does not actually grant the ranger two-weapon fighting, he is only treated as having it. A ranger who wanted two-weapon rend without the Special woud have to waste one of his normal feat slots to get TWF to even qualify.

Edit: Even the light armor thing, the ranger only gets the benefits of the combat style while where less than medium armor. So the special is basically once you have the feat, you only qualify for it while you qualify for your combat style...makes sense to me.

Ooooh, that clear my mind, i though that the combat style counts like the feat.
Thanks a lot guy, is nice to know that there is someone who i can ask without be judged.

The White Knight
2009-12-02, 02:01 PM
On a related note, is damage from two-weapon rend augmented by bonus damage such as that gained by Favored Enemy, Skirmish, or Power Attack? My gut tells me no, but I thought I'd check.

nekomata2
2009-12-02, 02:14 PM
That...is a good question....My gut tells me no as well, though I have a harder time justifying it. I suppose the fact that it is "extra damage" "treated as the same type that your off-hand weapon deals" would mean that its still part of that second hit, and hence does not get its own extra damage... Thats my guess.

@Wermus: Your welcome.

Person_Man
2009-12-02, 02:44 PM
On a related note, is damage from two-weapon rend augmented by bonus damage such as that gained by Favored Enemy, Skirmish, or Power Attack? My gut tells me no, but I thought I'd check.

I asked that question to WotC Cust Serv a while back, and the answer was no. It's essentially bonus damage, not an extra attack. And for what it's worth, I agree. Of course, half the people on this board know more about D&D then WotC Cust Serv, so any answer they give should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fenryr
2009-12-03, 12:33 AM

I say no, too. In the feat it says the extra damage is part of the damage done by the off hand. At least that's what I understand.