PDA

View Full Version : Campaign enhancements and player rewards [3.5 focus but really ANY]

Ormagoden
2009-12-02, 03:03 PM
So I have a relatively new campaign set in my own world.
It's been about six or so sessions now and I've decided to reward the players for doing work that helps enhance the campaign and our sessions.

The basics I have so far are the following:

Task: Keeping track of NPC names.
Reward: +10 EXP to all players each session.

Task: Keeping an in character "journal".
Reward: +10 EXP to all players each session. Maximum of +50 EXP for session.

Task: Donating cheap and useful items (pens, pencils, notebooks)
Reward +25 EXP per item to all players. (If I actually need the item.)

Task: Writing up and keeping memorable in and out of character quotes.
Reward: +5 EXP to all players each session.

Task: Write up your own PrC. (this will obviously require some back and forth between myself and the player for balancing.)
Reward: Once accepted that PrC is open to play.

So keeping with the above ideas (none of which are mandatory)
can you help me come up with any additional tasks and rewards?

!!!!Please keep in mind the following with your ideas!!!!
Tasks are not (and should not be) mandatory
Rewards are NEVER for an individual but instead are applied to all of the player's characters.
Rewards are never going to be a high amount (Max being +50 to all players for something seriously beneficial.)

In ages past there was an unofficial rule called
"Feed the fat man and live forever"
It involved bringing me slim-jims, soda, twinkies, energy drinks, and/or cheese. It was ultimately abandoned due to the sillyness that came about because of it. This deeply saddens me...

Edit(s)* Added PrC task

Krrth
2009-12-02, 03:21 PM
One potential thing you can do is let the players define parts of the world. Is there anything they would like to see in the game world?

You can have each player that wants to submit the idea for one culture, organization, landmark, legend, or something similar. Take that idea and adapt it to the tone of your campaign.

ocdscale
2009-12-02, 03:33 PM
Showing up on time?

drengnikrafe
2009-12-02, 03:43 PM
Teamwork storytelling? Similar to what Krrth said.
Like, they travel to some place, and give them an ambiguous description. Then, ask them to fill in the blanks, or ask what they see in their mind's eye. Take this, and develop more details.
For instance, tell them about a cluster of stores. Ask them what some of the stores are. They enter a store, and there is a shopkeeper standing in the corner, what does he look like?

I imagine it will be fun, if done correctly. If done incorrectly, your PCs may well feel like you're out of good ideas, and you're leaning on them for ideas. Let them feel like they're shaping the world in front of them; namely because they are.

Ormagoden
2009-12-02, 03:50 PM
Showing up on time?
I lol'ed!
I'll think about it. Generally I'm the one who has to arrive later due to work so I have no way of validating this.

One potential thing you can do is let the players define parts of the world. Is there anything they would like to see in the game world?

You can have each player that wants to submit the idea for one culture, organization, landmark, legend, or something similar. Take that idea and adapt it to the tone of your campaign.

Although I think combined worldshaping is a great idea.

I don't want that in this campaign as it and the world it is based in are already well defined and played in.

Good suggestions for sure! but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any other ideas?

EDIT* I haven't mentioned it yet with this group but at some point I'm sure that I accept interesting ideas for PrCs and perhaps I'll provide an award should I accept it. Adding that to OP.