PDA

View Full Version : TLoZ Monsters - Tektite and Gohma

starwoof
2009-12-02, 03:56 PM
A while ago I found the old Hylian Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96499) thread. It inspired me to play some Ocarina of Time and brainstorm some bad guys. I did some research and made stats for the Tektite, then thought I should expand and included Gohma.

Just to be clear: I'm not aiming for any particular timeline or setting for these. Gohma is *not* any specific gohma. I am amalgamating different versions of both of these monsters into one form that I think is more suitable for DnD.

Anyway, here are the stats. Critique away. CRs are essentially stabs in the dark at this point.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/tektite.png

Tektite
Medium Aberration (Fire)
Hit Dice: 3d8+4 (16 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 19 (+4 Dex, +2 natural, +3 dodge)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Headbutt +4 (1d8+1)
Full Attack Headbutt +4 (1d8+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Leap, Darkvision 60 ft, Water Walking
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 1
Skills: Spot +5, Listen +1, Survival +3
Feats: Dodge, Mobility
---------------------------------------------------
Environment: Any Mountain and Underground
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Clutch (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Normal
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium), 7-10 HD (Large)

A strange creature that resembles an insect with four legs hops toward you. It's single, glowing red eye glares at you with animalistic hunger.

Tektites are creatures commonly found among mountainous and hilly regions. They are considered a menace to travelers through such regions, as they attack with little regard for their safety. The fact that their erratic hopping movements make them ridiculously hard for an average bow or swordsman to hit makes them even more annoying. Still, they provide little menace to those that come prepared for them.

Tektites come in several colors, the most common being Red and Blue.

Combat

Tektites invoke hit and run tactics when fighting multiple foes. They tend to rush one target, then back off, and rush another. It isn't very quick or effective, but it does keep the Tektites safe from reprisal.

Leap [ex]: Tektites move only by lunging through the air. While making a normal move the Tektite need only touch the ground at the beginning and end of it's movement. They may only leap up to ten feet up into the air with this movement. In addition, any Tektite that has moved at least 10 feet gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC. Tektites do not take damage from falls.

Water Walking [ex]: Tektites have the extraordinary ability to walk on water as the spell Water Walking at will. This ability cannot be deactivated.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/gohma.jpg

Gohma
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 9d8+4 (64 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft, climb 20 ft
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +6 natural, -1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+14
Attack: Claw +9 (2d4+4)
Full Attack 2 Claws +9 (2d4+4)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Fire Breath/Eye Beam, Spawn Larvae
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Carapace, DR 10/Piercing, Energy Resistance 6
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +8
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 1
Skills: Spot +7, Hide +9
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip, Knock Down
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, Pair
Challenge Rating: 4 (without eyebeam/fire breath), 5 (with eyebeam/fire breath)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: 10-13 HD (Large), 14-20 HD (Huge), 21+ HD (Huge)

You hear the rustling of leaves above you and look up to see a massive red eye glaring at you. The creature menaces you with it's claws before it's eye begins to glow with power...

Gohma are large crab like monsters that inhabit dark dungeons and volcanos, though they are capable of surviving anywhere. A gohma has two legs that it uses for propulsion and two claws atop it's mighty carapace. Their single, huge eye is their most prominent feature (and weakness). Particularly large gohma take a form more like a centipede, growing more legs and thicker armor.

Many scholars link Gohma to Tektites. The two species are probably related.

Combat

Gohma prefer to use ranged attacks and spawned larvae before entering melee. They prefer to hang from the ceiling and wait for prey, rather than hunting. Gohma use power attack as much as they can in melee and target any foe with ranged attacks. If struck too many times they will retreat to the ceiling to spawn more minions.

Spawn Larvae [ex]: As a full round action, a Gohma may spawn 1d4+1 Gohma Eggs (see below). These appear in adjacent squares and hatch into larvae one round later. A Gohma can use this ability a number of times per day equal to it's constitution modifier.

Fire Breath/Eye Beam [su]: Any Gohma has a chance of having fire breath or a magical eye beam. Roll on the following table to determine which, if any:
d100|Result
1-50|No Power
51-75|Fire Breath
76-100|Eye Beam
Eye Beam: The Eye Beam does 1d8 points of fire damage per hit die of the gohma, and requires a ranged touch attack (+6 bonus). Fire Breath deals 1d6 fire damage per hit die of the gohma in a 30 ft cone and requires a DC 18 reflex save to avoid. The save DC is con based. After using either of these special attacks, a gohma must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Carapace [ex]: A ghoma always has resistance to cold, fire, electricity, sonic, and acid resistance equal to it's natural armor bonus. It always has damage reduction equal to its HD+1/piercing.

Gohma Larvae
Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft, climb 20 ft
Armor Class: 14 (+1 Dex, +2 natural, +1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Claw +1 (1d6)
Full Attack Claw +1 (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Spot +2, Hide +4
Feats: Improved Trip
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Clutch (1-5)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small), 4-6 HD (medium)

Gohma Larvae are the young of Gohma. If presented with anything that could be construed as prey they charge it until it dies.

Gohma Egg: When a Gohma uses it's spawn larvae ability it plants several Gohma Eggs on the wall/floor/ceiling next to it. Gohma Eggs have hardness 5 and 5 hit points. Breaking the egg will kill the Larvae inside. Egg's do not take damage from falls.

Cheers.

DracoDei
2009-12-03, 12:05 AM
You could simplify the Gohma Fire Breath/Eye Beam roll as follows:
d100|Result
1-50|No Power
51-75|Fire Breath
76-100|Eye Beam

You also MIGHT want to make those without the eyebeams/fire breath CR 4 OR make those WITH the eyebeams CR 6.

starwoof
2009-12-03, 09:04 AM
Thanks Dracodei, that helps a lot. I think both of those changes are in order.

DracoDei
2009-12-03, 09:41 AM
I don't THINK it would make 2 CRs worth of difference.
That is why I said OR, not AND.

starwoof
2009-12-03, 09:45 AM
Heh, that makes a lot more sense. I made the lesser version CR 4 and the greater one CR 5. Seems about right to me.

Edge
2009-12-03, 09:48 AM
The tektite gains absolutely nothing from having pounce, as it only has a single attack as part of its full attack routine. Pounce's sole purpose is allowing a full attack at the end of a charge, but the tektite's attack and full attack actions are identical.

starwoof
2009-12-03, 09:52 AM
Whoops, I thought I took that out. That's what I get for not proofreading.

Athaniar
2009-12-03, 11:51 AM
Looks good, but shouldn't the blue Tektite have the (Water) subtype instead of (Fire)?

starwoof
2009-12-03, 11:55 AM
I kinda thought at first too, but then I went down to Lake Hylia to kill some for a while. Fire Arrows do exactly the same amount of damage as a normal arrow, meaning that the fire part wasn't doing anything. Ice arrows killed them in one shot, same as the red ones. Apparently Blue Tektites are just better than Red ones.

deuxhero
2009-12-03, 06:18 PM
I think a water Tektite would also have the water subtype (in place of the fire subtype) in addition to walking on water.

I think you made a copy paste error with a Gohma's advancment table. It will shrink if it is advanced.

starwoof
2009-12-03, 06:21 PM
I've already explained why I think that they should not. I should probably just say Red Tektites can walk on water as well, actually.

deuxhero
2009-12-03, 08:59 PM
Oops, missed that.

Still,

Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 9d8+4 (64 hp)
Advancement: 10-13 HD (Medium), 14-19 HD (Large), 20-25 HD (Huge), 26+ HD (Gargantuan)

Don't think that was intended.

starwoof
2009-12-04, 01:11 AM
No, it gets smaller as it grows!:smallwink:

Thanks for catching that.