PDA

View Full Version : [RIFTS]O.C.C. question

NPCMook
2009-12-02, 04:32 PM
My GM has allowed me to make a new character to replace my current one, since the current one is a "Bot" R.C.C. which doesn't level at all, and is incredibly boring to play because of that.

My question is, if a race has an R.C.C., do I have to use the R.C.C. or can I use an O.C.C. instead?

LibraryOgre
2009-12-02, 05:03 PM
My GM has allowed me to make a new character to replace my current one, since the current one is a "Bot" R.C.C. which doesn't level at all, and is incredibly boring to play because of that.

My question is, if a race has an R.C.C., do I have to use the R.C.C. or can I use an O.C.C. instead?

Highly variable, depending on the race in question. Some, like Dragon, have just the RCC. Others, like Psi-stalkers, have a variety of OCC options available to the race (Psi-stalkers can be either Wild or Civilized Psi-Stalkers). Still others may have an RCC available, but can choose from a variety of OCCs, as well. It's further compounded by the fact that RCC is sometimes used inconsistently in the books... sometimes just refers to a race, and sometimes to an actual class. Had I to design it over again, I'd likely have gotten rid of RCC entirely, and simply included some classes that can only be taken by certain races.

kjones
2009-12-02, 05:36 PM

I'm AFB at the moment, so which book are Bots from?

LibraryOgre
2009-12-02, 05:50 PM
I'm AFB at the moment, so which book are Bots from?

Sourcebook 1.

NPCMook
2009-12-02, 06:16 PM
I'd recommend the Revised Sourcebook 1, if you are going to look at Bots, the original doesn't give you enough options when you roll 18 million credits for your character creation.

Currently looking at playing a Werewolf out of the Conversion Book 1, but I wasn't sure if they could take O.C.C.'s, or had to take the Werewolf R.C.C.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-02, 07:28 PM
I'd recommend the Revised Sourcebook 1, if you are going to look at Bots, the original doesn't give you enough options when you roll 18 million credits for your character creation.

Currently looking at playing a Werewolf out of the Conversion Book 1, but I wasn't sure if they could take O.C.C.'s, or had to take the Werewolf R.C.C.

Werewolf is one that pretty much has to be the RCC; there's never been any alternative OCC listed for them.

hamlet
2009-12-03, 08:15 AM
Werewolf is one that pretty much has to be the RCC; there's never been any alternative OCC listed for them.

Plus, much like vampires, they are insanely powerful. Very hard to put one down if you don't know what you're dealing with.

My rule of thumb has always been to apply common sense. If it's an RCC that is, in and of itself, ridiculously powerful (Dragon, any theriantrhope, etc), then I say you have to stick with the RCC only. If, however, it's something weak (like a dog boy, goblin, or something on that level) then I have no problem with adding an OCC, but the player must choose which one he wants to level in. The other remains at 1st level throughout.

NPCMook
2009-12-03, 08:18 AM
Yeah, the Werewolf after really reading into it is pretty stupid awesome in the OP department... Oh well, I'll ask my GM about letting me play one, after all he said the only thing out right banned was a Cosmo Knight... And we already have a Dragon, and a Psychic Juicer.

hamlet
2009-12-03, 10:22 AM
He actually had to mention banning the Cosmo Knight? The most stupidly over powered thing in a game that makes stupidly overpowered things its raison de etre?:smallconfused:

Seriously?:smalleek:

Fought one of those things once. The combat took about 6 hours (lost count of how many rounds it was, but well over a hundred) and was especially brutal.

Matthew
2009-12-20, 09:52 PM
How did this turn out in the end?

Baidas Kebante
2009-12-20, 10:29 PM
It's been a long time since I last played, but I recall the rule being something like this:

Any RCC can take on an OCC, but must do so at level one and loses half his/her OCC and Other skills and has no RCC skills (reasoning being that the character spends time to develop and train the RCC abilities which interferes with time spent on learning skills). For any conflicting abilities, the RCC abilities override the OCC ones.

If you take on an OCC after level one, then you're going by dual-class rules, which, as I recall, is that you essentially have to first gain an amount of experience equal to the requirement to advance to second level before you can actually take one level of the new OCC.

NPCMook
2009-12-21, 12:22 AM
Well I have to wait till the current arc is done with, and for the past 2-3 weeks(I forget) we haven't played due to circumstances beyond our control

And the group has been on a L5R kick recently, playing both the Card game and the RPG, which I'm neither interested in.