PDA

View Full Version : Tarry the Tarrasque Poops on a Fighter, Pt. 3: The Mounted Charger

Another_Poet
2009-12-02, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the

PATHFINDER TARRASQUE / 3.5 FIGHTER
DEATHMATCH CHALLENGE!
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/584/tarrychargeropener.png
x
Part III: Tarry vs. Carg He the Roc-Mounted Jerk

Posting Rules for the Challenger:

For ease of use, the map is a grid lettered and numbered. To allow repeating of letters, there are three sections - silver, gold and sapphire. In each in-combat post, state the square you end in; for example your starting location is silver i-1.

Please start each post with a small stat block using this format:
Arry the Archer
Hp 22/22 AC 21 touch 15 ff 19
Spells active: Blur 4 more rounds (20% miss chance) Haste 5 more rounds
Ending Location: silver i-1

Thank you.

Posting rules for audience:

We want you to cheer, heckle, threaten, boo, and generally cause a ruckus. But please don't do it in this thread. Instead, keep it in the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130082).

Here There Be Map (http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/513/tarrymapdonutplains.png)

Map Key & Terrain Rules

It's open terrain, except for green squares (dancing trees (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2401/dancinshrubs.png), twice as tall as they are wide) and black squares (bottomless pits). As per Mario rules, falling in a bottomless pit is instant death with no hope of survival. Falling in is the same as entering a Sphere of Annihilation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#SphereofAnnihilation). Unlike Spheres of Annihilation, you cannot move bottomless pits with your mind.

Doc Roc is the blue square in the NE corner. As per the mounted combat rules Carg He technically occupies all of his squares simulataneously. Should Carg He become separated from his mount, a new dark blue square will be used to represent him.

There are presently 0 mushroom citizens and 0 goombas on the field.

PROLOGUE

Carg He flies across the skies of Dinosaur Land, his mind preoccupied by thoughts of his recent assignments from Lord Bowser Koopa or whatever it is that fighters think about in between beating up innocent li'l fellas what just do their best and try real hard and never meant no harm to nobody.

Such a fellow can be seen on the plains below him. By the sound of his roars and howls, the poor thing must have been constipated for at least a week. The beast spots Carg He and sees nothing but a pint-sized stool softening aid.

BEGIN!

Tarry's Initiative=20
Carge He's Initiative=17 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7439627#post7439627)

Tarry's READY TO ROLL!

Another_Poet
2009-12-04, 10:33 PM
tARRY THE tARRASQUE

Tarry rears and shoots spines at the jerkhole fighter who menaces him!!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

see below...

Another_Poet
2009-12-04, 10:43 PM
All are higher than your ff AC of 9, and none are a natural 1. All hit, and crit confirms for a total of 226 damage.

The only DR I see for Carg He is DR 3/Good which doesn't apply, so I believe you take the whole amount.

Additionally, you must make a DC 40 Fort Save or be stunned thanks to Stunning Critical.

Since I doubt you're checking this late on a Friday night and I know I won't be checking it first thing Saturday morning, I'll roll it for you:

[roll0]

Another_Poet
2009-12-04, 10:53 PM
Tarry's spines hit home with a fury! Carg He is nearly incapacitated - he shakes off the worst of it, but he is still staggered for [roll0] rounds.

Stagged:

Staggered: A staggered creature may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can he take full-round actions). A staggered creature can still take swift and immediate actions. A creature with nonlethal damage exactly equal to its current hit points gains the staggered condition.

Important: "swift and immediate" actions are different than free actions (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#immediate-action) in PF, and are called out differently by status conditions. To translate this to 3.5, you can take 1 move or 1 standard action per round; also, you can take 1 swift action. To take a free action you must give up either your move/standard or your swift. To take two free actions you must give up both the move/standard and the swift.

In addition, if you have a chance to use an action that normally interrupts another person's turn (such as dropping for cover from your mount when being shot at) you may still take such actions.

Remember that handling your Mount is a Move action. Making an attack in the same round your mount attacks requires a use of the Ride skill which is a free action. Simply urging your mount to move (but not to attack) is not an action at all and can be done without counting against your actions.

Tarry roars and dances with a disturbing gleam in his eye.

((your turn))

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 03:55 AM
Heh, quite a few things:
Starmantle Cloak Save: [roll0] [roll1]
Starmantle Cloak Save: [roll2] [roll3]
Starmantle Cloak Save: [roll4] [roll5]
Starmantle Cloak Save: [roll6] [roll7]
Starmantle Cloak Save: [roll8] [roll9]
Starmantle Cloak Save: [roll10] [roll11]

The Reflex save DC is 15; successful save halves damage. Thanks to Pride-domain granted power (acquired through Planar Touchstone-feat), all natural 1s are rerolled. I'm only rolling to see if I manage two natural 1s.

Additionally, thanks to Greater Fortifications, Carg is immune to critical hits (and any consequences there-of). Further, thanks to the combination of Demonskin Shirt and Starmantle Cloak, the damage is greatly diminished. D&D rounds down (and it's specifically spelled out in Starmantle). Note that DR/Good means DR that's only penetrated by Good-aligned weapons (not "only blocks Good-aligned weapons"); in other words, unless someone Blessed Tarry's attacks, it functions just fine.

All of the saves succeed so true damage taken:
23/2-3=8
34/2-3=14
33/2-3=13
28/2-3=11
25/2-3=9
22/2-3=8

So a total damage of 63. I'll give you a stat block and an action post next.

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 04:53 AM
Carg He
HP: 271/334
Speed: 30', 30' Fly (Average); Mounted
Detection: None
AC 10 (11 vs. T), Touch 10 (11 vs. T), Flat-Footed 9
Effects: Bare, oiled skin.
Starting Location: WWW1-ZZZ4 (40' up)
Ending Location: CC47-FF50 (40' up)

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164101)

Doc Roc:
HP 225/225
Speed: 20', 80' Fly (Good)
AC 21, Touch 8, Flat-Footed 19
Effects: Cool-aid

[OOC: Lessay he starts 40' up. I'm also doing some on the fly refluffing here. His armor is actually looks like skin; he prefers the look to his normal Dragonborn scales. 'cause it's funnier.]

Shining man with ABS OF STEEL sits on a giant bird, oiled bare skin glistening in the sun! He merely thrusts his chest forward and the spines deflect away from his mighty muscles! What rough beast would dare attack this perfection is completely beyond him; one thing is for sure though. This beast shall fall: "TIME TO SAVE THE PRINCESS!"

With that, he spurs the Roc to a run; they streak across the skies to meet the unholy poop abomination! Run from WWW1-ZZZ4 (40' up) to CC47-FF50 (40' up); should be high enough to fly over the 20' tall trees. Dodge-target at Big T.

That concludes his turn.

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 04:56 AM
Oh, and Will-saves vs. Frightful Presence:
[roll0] [roll1] (if 1)
[roll2] [roll3] (use higher; Indomitable Soul)

Another_Poet
2009-12-05, 01:17 PM
Note that DR/Good means DR that's only penetrated by Good-aligned weapons (not "only blocks Good-aligned weapons"); in other words, unless someone Blessed Tarry's attacks, it functions just fine.

Oh, duh, of course. I did know that...

New Map (http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6627/tarrymapdonutplainsr2.png)

Tarry doesn't care about no oil! TARRY IS A GOOD LI'L TARRASQUE!!!!

The good li'l tarrasque shoots more spines while he waits for the little mouse to get in range of a real walloping....

Carg He can tell that Tarry is going to attack one or more times. Will Carg He use a Ride check (auto-succeed) to drop behind Doc and get +4 cover? If he does so, he cannot attack. Let me know before you see the attack rolls.

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 02:45 PM
Carg's abs are far too dashing to hide behind anything. Nay, he takes it like a man (considering he has no AC, trying to get few points extra seems like an exercise in futility).

Another_Poet
2009-12-05, 07:22 PM
Tarry teh Tarrasquasaur

Terry basically deletes his opponent's existence. You may as well give up. If you give up there will be cake...

Tarry uses Rush to move up to 150' as a single move action!
Tarry is crowdin' you out!!
Tarry now delivers a bite attack of enormous magnitude!!

That bite attack looks a little somethin' like... theees!

Bite +9 subtracting 28 for power attack
[roll0] adding 28 from power attack
[roll1]
Carg He's pitiful attempt to oppose grapple: [roll2]

Here is the sitch. You are too close to Tarry to charge now. The map proves it. (http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6627/tarrymapdonutplainsr2.png)

Another_Poet
2009-12-05, 07:27 PM
Grrr! Tarry hates the forum roller almost as much as he hates fighters!!

[roll0] hits!

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 07:32 PM
Aaand Elusive Target steps in. It negates the Power Attack bonus. Also, Ring of Freedom of Movement means he automatically succeeds the opposed Grapple-check.

Then, Starmantle Cloak: [roll0] [roll1]

Then, umm, lessay. Fast dismount! [roll2] Let's see what happens with that before doing anything else.

EDIT: Totally can't fast dismount gargantuan mount. Seems I shoulda gotten Reduce Animal for him. Ah well, too late for that. I'll have to do something else instead.

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 08:01 PM
Carg He
HP: 261/334
Starting Location: CC47-FF50 (40' up)
Ending Location:

Doc Roc:
HP 225/225
Effects: None
Ending Location:

So, total damage dealt considering Negate Power Attack, Starmantle Cloak and Demonskin Shirt: (55-28)/2-3 = 10.

Carg He mourns his missed opportunity for a mounted charge, but day will come again! He guides Doc Roc back to M36-P39 (this provokes an AoO) and readies an action:
If Big T moves away from him, move 60' towards it.

Another_Poet
2009-12-06, 01:24 AM
A technical question that may become relevant:

Does freedom of movement actually make you auto-succeed the opposed grapple check, or does it allow you to automatically escape a grapple once grappled?

I thought it was the latter, which makes a big difference.

Eldariel
2009-12-06, 03:32 AM
A technical question that may become relevant:

Does freedom of movement actually make you auto-succeed the opposed grapple check, or does it allow you to automatically escape a grapple once grappled?

I thought it was the latter, which makes a big difference.

Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm)

"The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin."

Another_Poet
2009-12-07, 04:36 PM
As Carg he flees, Tarry has an opportunity to snap and lash at him four times (4 AoO's per round, first 3 are a Bite within 30', next one is a Tail slap within 60').

At Carg:
[roll0]
[roll1]

At Carg:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Seeing the bird is taking Carg away, this one is at Doc:
[roll4]
[roll5]

If Doc is hit, grapple check:
[roll6]

Opposed by:
[roll7]

If Doc is not grappled, a final attack at Carg as he runs:
[roll8]
[roll9]

((I left off the power attack damage since you are immune, but I still had to take the power attack penalty to-hit on all attacks, until the start of my next turn.))

Update coming....

Another_Poet
2009-12-07, 04:46 PM
Tarry misses Doc! Carg He and the bird fly away, but Carg is hit three times (two bites, one tail)!

Carg reaches his destination and wheels his bird around, readying his action. However, Tarry does not move away, so the action is not triggered...

end of round map (http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3857/tarrymapdonutplainsr2a.png) (for reference only)

Next Round: Tarry

Tarry charges!

At Carg He:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tarry is both rockin' and rollin'! That's it for this glorious turn!

Round 3 Map (http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4975/tarrymapdonutplainsr3.png) (current)

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 04:51 PM
OOC: Same action only provokes once so there's mere one bite from mr. Que for each. I'll roll Starmantle:
[roll0] [roll1]

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 04:53 PM
Oh, and for the actual attack too:
[roll0] [roll1]

EDIT: Total damage tally:
39/2-3=16
35/2-3=14

Alright, Carg He's turn!

Another_Poet
2009-12-07, 04:54 PM
You moved through multiple threatened squuares. Leaving the first square only threatens once. The next square threatens once. The square after that threatens once. Etc cetera.

Feel free to re-read the AoO rules, it's in there.

edit: It's almost like walking around with your back turned toward your opponent's weapons gets more dangerous the longer you do it :)

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 04:57 PM
You moved through multiple threatened squuares. Leaving the first square only threatens once. The next square threatens once. The square after that threatens once. Etc cetera.

Feel free to re-read the AoO rules, it's in there.

edit: It's almost like walking around with your back turned toward your opponent's weapons gets more dangerous the longer you do it :)

Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm)

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

Bolded for emphasis.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 05:03 PM
Also, Tarry may not move so close. Charge-action is very explicit in what kind of an action is allowed; otherwise Carg could've charged last turn. See here:

Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge)

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Thanks to its Tail Slap, Tarry can attack 60' away, so 60' away it is. Please reposition it on the map; I'll take Carg's turn which will involve a charge (which will be possible due to this), but can't state the final position until the update.

Another_Poet
2009-12-07, 05:06 PM
You are correct on AoO's, and please accept my apologies. Apply just the first Bite attack and ignore the other AoOs.

However, you are wrong about the charge. Tarry's primary weapon is Bite. He moved to the closest square from which he can Bite.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 05:10 PM
OOC: It does not say anything about using your primary weapon; just the closest square from which you can attack. That said, it ultimately doesn't matter; since you're the DM I'll defer to your judgment in this. Tarry can Bite from 30' away which is still far enough for Carg to charge.

EDIT: Do note that the "closest" refers to "closest [to your starting location]", not opponent's location.

EDIT#2: Relevant Rules Compendium excerpt:
"To charge, you must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and can move up to double your speed. You must be able to reach the closest space from which you can attack the designated opponent." - I think it's pretty clear that it refers to your present location since it's describing the limits of where you may move while charging.

Another_Poet
2009-12-07, 05:25 PM
You're right, for some reason I was thinking 15' which is wrong.

I'll adjust the map and repost later, but right now I am about to leave work.

However I will point out that on a mount you have to move twice as far (20') to charge. Add in the 15' reach of your lance and you would need to be at least 35 feet away to charge on Roc, so you're still unable.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 05:33 PM
Hm, why would the Roc require 20' to charge? Isn't it the same 10' as for everyone? A cursory glance at the Charge-section in SRD didn't reveal any exceptions.

Either way, by the example in PHB regarding using lance atop a Warhorse (it mentions that it's only usable while mounted due to being a reach weapon), I do believe my weapon is "centered" on the mount and as such, only 10' of it is outside the Roc-area.

That's the only way that makes sense; otherwise you'd have 10' of reach beyond the Warhorse too. Unfortunately, this area is incredibly poorly covered in the rules and even Rules Compendium doesn't do anything to clarify it.

Eh, I'll post my turn once this is clarified.

Another_Poet
2009-12-07, 05:37 PM
I don't see that rule (the double charging distance) under the Charge, Lance or Mounted Combat sections, so i have PM'd someone from the game where I had to use that rule to see if he knows whether it is a real rule or a house rule.

But the reach is reach from outside of the mount's square. You are considered to occupy all squares your mount occupies (all squares, not any square, so you can't choose to just "move to the back" so to speak). I assume a Large lance is 15' reach, though it might be 20' - would eb worth checking. That would be 15' from teh edge of your mount in all directions.

Don't worry, I have some other brilliant charge-stoppers too, so once we sort this all out you will still get to be eaten by Tarry :)

Really leaving now... ruling and update later...

Eldariel
2009-12-11, 04:29 PM
...still waiting...

Another_Poet
2009-12-12, 05:28 PM
Large or larger creatures using reach weapons can strike up to double their natural reach but can’t strike at their natural reach or less.

At size Large your normal reach is 10' and your lance can strike 15-20' away but not 5-10' away.

You only need charge 10' plus your minumum reach; that would be 25' away (curse your eyes!).

I will put up a new post which clarifies Tarry's movement and has a new map. Charge + Bite still stands, but at 30' you will be able to charge him.

However he will AoO you (once) and your mount (once). Each is moving out of a threatened square :)

Should be up shortly.

Another_Poet
2009-12-12, 06:22 PM
Tarry's adjusted hits:

From the turn before Tarry's charge, the first AoO against Carg and the first AoO against Doc are the only ones that count. They were:

At Carg:
bite - (1d20+9)[18]
damage - (4d8+15)[39]

Seeing the bird is taking Carg away, this one is at Doc:
bite - (1d20+9)[16]
damage - (4d8+15)[41]

Then on Tarry's turn Tarry made a charge which was:

At Carg He:
charging bite attack - (1d20+39)[56]
bite damage - (4d8+15)[35]

And your starmantle reduced these to 16 and 14 on Carg (Doc was missed, sadly)

Since Carg He intends to charge Tarry, once Carg He's turn begins Tarry will take an attack of opportunity both on Carge He and on his mount.

vs Carg He:
[roll0] incl. -13 pwr atk
[roll1] (does not include +13 pwr attack, since you ignore that)
(foregoes free grapple attempt as it is meaningless)
*Deducting 13 for Power attack and adding 13 damage

vs Doc:
[roll2] incl -13 pwr attack
[roll3] incl -13 pwr attack, +4 crit focus
[roll4] incl. +13 damage pwr attack
[roll5] incl +36 dmg pwr attack
if a Crit, Doc must make DC 40 fort save of be stunned [roll6] rounds

Additionally, the free Grapple check auto-succeeds.

Doc Roc is now GRAPPLED! The charge is stopped before Carg He can get into striking range. Carg He has used up a Full Round Action; if he has any free actions, he may do so. He is presently mounted and in Tarry's space but not grappled.

Corrected map for before your charge. (http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4975/tarrymapdonutplainsr3.png)
Updated map mid-round reflecting your grapple-stopped charge. (http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7585/tarrymapdonutplainsr3b.png)

Finish your turn... Tarry is hungry...

Eldariel
2009-12-12, 08:11 PM
Carg He
HP: 231/334
Starting Location: MM36-PP40 (40' up)
Ending Location: D40-G44

Doc Roc:
HP 225/225
Ending Location:

...few things mean this didn't happen. I would have mentioned them, but as I never got around actually doing the charge due to other rules complications...well, here:
1. Carg He has Ride-By Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#rideByAttack) (prerequisite for Spirited Charge), which means he and his mount do not provoke AoOs from the target of his charge while mounted charging.
2. Doc Roc has a Ring of Freedom of Movement (e.g. around leg; Lords of Madness pretty much says that every single kind of creature can wear some number of Rings somehow), meaning he wouldn't be grappled even if hit.

As such, I do not believe the charge will be interrupted.

So, charge, full PA Shock Trooper Battle Leader's Spirited Charge (in English, initiate Battle Leader's Charge mounted, use Shock Trooper's "Heedless Charge" to take Power Attack penalties in AC instead of To Hit, Power Attack for 20):
[roll0] for ([roll1] [Base]+10 [Leading the Charge]+10 [Battle Leader's Charge]+40 [Power Attack])*3

EDIT: Composite damage: (23+10+10+40)*3 = 83*3 = 249

After that, thanks to Ride-By Attack, Roc may continue moving and will do so. The movement ends at D40-G44. I'll provide a stat block for this post; I wasn't intending to post my action here, but turns out I ended up doing so, so...

Another_Poet
2009-12-14, 03:33 PM
Tarry

Wow, you even put Freedom of Movement on your Roc? What, are you trying to WIN this or something?? :smalltongue:

You are correct and your charge works nicely. I did have to adjust you ending positition though - Rideby does not let you pass through an enemy, and a charge still requires a straight line of movement, so you are slightly farther north than you had specified.

With DR and healing, Tarry begins the round with 331 points left.

Tarry roars and spins around to see the annoying dart that just grazed past him.

Tarry readies an action.

*evil laugh*

Your turn.

also, here's a map (http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/870/tarrymapdonutplainsr4.png)

Eldariel
2009-12-14, 06:08 PM
Carg He
HP: 231/334
Starting Location: D40-G44 (40' up)
Ending Location: MM32-PP36 (40' up)

Doc Roc:
HP 225/225
Ending Location:

OOC: Well, I figured Freedom of Movement on him isn't very useful if the Roc gets grappled first thing in the morning.

Carg He is as dashing as he is single-minded. As such, he'll simply guide Doc Roc to yet another charge (riding by to MM32-PP36 if all goes as planned).

[roll0] for [[roll1] + 10 (Leading the Charge) + 40 (Shock Trooper) ] * 3 (total damage 234)

Don't end his turn yet after that; depending on what exactly happens, I may have additional action to take (swift one at that).

Another_Poet
2009-12-15, 12:41 PM
Tarry

Tarry thought maybe thye flying dart guy would come charging back at him again, but it's okay, he likes playing sumo. His trainer taught him to play sumo with that poor stone giant who's all dead and poopy now. Stone giant was fun. Tarry misses stone giant.

Leveling his multi-horned head, Tarry lets out a fierce "Tarr!" and takes his readied action, triggered by Carg He coming into range: bull rush the guy.

Has improved Bull Rush; does not provoke AoO. Readied actions interrupt and are resolved before the action that triggered them.

Targeting Carg He (not Doc):
[roll0]

Carg He's opposed roll:
[roll1]
Includes +13 Str, +4 size and +2 charging; does not include +4 Impr Bull Rush as that only applies to making a bull rush, not to opposing one.

If Tarry wins he moves Carg back 5 feet, plus an additional 5' for every 5 point by which he beat Carg's check.

Dealing with Doc:
3.5 does not give definite rules on what to do with a secondary creature who is in the way of a bull rush target being pushed back. Pathfinder does, however: Tarry makes a second bull rush check, with -4, versus the secondary creature; a fail stops the entire bull rush, and a success moves both creatures. The total distance pushed is determined by the lowest successful bull rush.

If we use this method, here is Doc's opposed roll:
[roll2]
(Incl +12 str, +12 size and +2 charging)

Alternately, since Carg He has enough ride ranks to auto-succeed a ride check to dismount as a free action, I would also allow you to simply leave Doc behind and be bull rushed on your own. (The map below assumes that you choose not to do this, since it would seperate you from your mount; just let me know if that assumption is wrong).

edit: Since Carg He rolled higher than Doc, Carg He is the limiting factor in the bull rush resolution. 69 - 34 = 35, or 7 additional squares of pushback, for a total of 8 squares. (Actually 7 squares, limited by Doc; see next post for details). Map coming up shortly. (Again, if you want to say that Doc was left behind, no problem; the map assumes you took him with you.) You have used a full-round action but it is still your turn, so you cannot take swift actions, only free actions:

A full-round action consumes all your effort during a round. The only movement you can take during a full-round action is a 5-foot step before, during, or after the action. You can also perform free actions (see below).

Teh Mappins (http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4231/tarymapdonutplainsr4b.png)

Another_Poet
2009-12-15, 12:53 PM
OOps I forgot to make Tarry's second buill rush check vs doc:

[roll0]
incl -4 for secondary target

Edit: so actually Doc was the limiting factor, with a difference of 32, meaning Tary only won by 6 squares for a total of 7 squares' movement. Map is fixed.

Eldariel
2010-01-07, 01:25 PM
Carg He

Surprised by the Sumoque approach, Carg He braces for incoming fangs and claws and tails.

OOC: End turn.

Another_Poet
2010-01-07, 03:11 PM
Tarry

Tarry dances likea Moroccan wildebeest! Tarry regains 40 hp!

Tarry rears onto his hind legs and inscribes Carg He with some new tattoos!

subtracting 22 to-hit and adding 22 dmg for power attack....
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

Tarry stands his ground!

I seem to remember you are somehow immune to hits but I forget how. If so ignore the cirt confirms and extra damage, and remind me how you do it :)

The same map (http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4231/tarymapdonutplainsr4b.png)

Eldariel
2010-01-08, 02:40 AM
OOC: The array of various defenses for that was:
- Elusive Target: Negate Power Attack
- Greater Fortifications Armor: Immune to Criticals
- Starmantle Cloak: ½ Damage
- Ring of Freedom of Movement: Ehh, obvious?
- Demonskin Shirt: DR 3/Good

Let's roll the Saves:
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]

Damages:
(51-20)/2-3 = 12
(40-20)/2-3 = 7
(47-20)/2-3 = 10
(45-20)/2-3 = 9
(43-20)/2-3 = 8
(40-20)/2-3 = 7

Eldariel
2010-01-09, 09:21 PM
Carg He
HP: 178/334
Starting Location: MM36-PP40 (40' up)
Ending Location: D40-G44

Doc Roc:
HP 225/225
Ending Location:

Doc Roc makes a 180 and heads directly away from Tarry. This provokes AoOs. I'll post turn after I know what happens with those.

EDIT: Damnit, I hate those damage calculations. I should write a program to do them for me or something.

Another_Poet
2010-01-12, 10:38 AM
Tarry continues to rake the weird creature as it runs away.

AoO on Carg:
[roll0]
[roll1]

AoO on Doc:
[roll2]
crit confirm if 15 or more - [roll3]
[roll4]

So I guess I should stop bothering with power attack calculations too if you're immune to the extra damage. Oh well.

Eldariel
2010-01-12, 08:04 PM
Hm, Doc only has 75% chance of negating crits, so let's see:
[roll0]

Eldariel
2010-01-12, 09:37 PM
Oh, and saves for Starmantle Cloak:
[roll0] [roll1]

Eldariel
2010-01-12, 09:47 PM
Ok, damage tally:
(57-20)/2-3 = 15

Doc takes full.

Carg He
HP: 163/334
Starting Location: M33-P30 (40' up)
Ending Location: CC33-FF30 (10' up)

Doc Roc:
HP 160/225
Starting Location: CC33-FF30 (10' up)
Ending Location:

I think this puts Doc at G33-J30.

Doc turns around and Carg He activates his Boots of the Battle Charger (they start with two charges), which enable him to make a Charge-attack as a Standard Action (only normal move, but let's make it a dive; by dropping 30', I think I gain about 30' extra movement as diving is twice as fast as moving)); here it comes!

[roll0] for ([roll1]+10 [Leading the Charge]+40 [Power Attack])*3

After charge, end up at I think CC33-FF30. That ends Carg He's turn.

EDIT: Composite damage: 222

Another_Poet
2010-01-12, 11:16 PM
Can you refer me to a rule that says "diving" increases total movement?

Otherwise one single move, even going diagonally or vertically or whatever, will be the same as any other single move, which will end you adjacent to me again.

Nice item by the way. Only one more use of it left?

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-12, 11:19 PM
Can you refer me to a rule that says "diving" increases total movement?

Otherwise one single move, even going diagonally or vertically or whatever, will be the same as any other single move, which will end you adjacent to me again.

Nice item by the way. Only one more use of it left? Not to interject, but likely, this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions). The main debate I could see is whether any down movement is enough to qualify for doubling, or if it needs to be straight down.

Another_Poet
2010-01-13, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Sstoopidtallkid. Upon reading it I believe Eldariel gets the movement boost from any downward approach, as his "Down Angle" is "Any" and the "Down Speed" seems to mean speed when flying at your "Down Angle."

The move is legal. I'm a bit swamped with work right now but will try to update later today.

Eldariel
2010-01-29, 04:21 PM
So...the turn?

Another_Poet
2010-02-04, 01:23 PM
Sorry, I guess now I'm the one being negligent :(

I'll get an action up tonight at latest. I promise.

Another_Poet
2010-02-05, 01:19 AM
Okay, I am really confused by the coordinates you are giving.

Before you moved away and charged back, you and Doc were both here (http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4231/tarymapdonutplainsr4b.png) (large light blue square).

Then you and Doc moved together as a move action, up to Doc's maximum of 80'. Then you dismounted Doc (since the boots only apply to you, not your mount) and charged no more than 30' back toward Tarry as a standard action. At the end of your charge you had to be within 15' of Tarry to strike him with your lance.

My best guess at where you both end up then is here (http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1005/tarrymapdonutplains5.png). If this is incorrect then please give me two coordinates: first, the exact coordinates where Doc ended his 80' or less move; and second the exact coordinates where Carg He ended his 30' or less charge.

I will work on my next action but won't post it until I know for sure that the starting map is correct. I do promise to reply with my action promptly once you clarify the map.

edit: also, did your 222 damage include any damage sources that only apply when mounted?

Eldariel
2010-02-05, 05:55 AM
I...did not intend to dismount. As I understand, only Carg needs to be able to take the Charge-action; as long as Doc has enough movement, it should work out fine. If you disagree, I'll play the turn totally differently.

Another_Poet
2010-02-05, 10:05 AM
Ah, I see... The Mounted Combat rules only have a short blurb explaining charging, and it sounds like what you propose shouldn't work. But what the hell, yep, you use its movement but you are the only one charging. Move approved!

So can you give me the final coordinates where your mount (with you on it) is to end up?

Eldariel
2010-02-05, 02:34 PM
Ah, I see... The Mounted Combat rules only have a short blurb explaining charging, and it sounds like what you propose shouldn't work. But what the hell, yep, you use its movement but you are the only one charging. Move approved!

So can you give me the final coordinates where your mount (with you on it) is to end up?

I...am not sure where I can move it with the Mounted Combat Ride-By Attack rules as they don't really cover how you can move after attacking, or from which squares rather. As you can't really move through a creature, there has to be some turn allowed after the charge. CC30-FF33 (10' up) seems right to me assuming this.

Do note that if necessary, Carg autosucceeds Spur the Mount-check.

Another_Poet
2010-02-05, 03:00 PM
CC30-FF33 would not leave you close enough to strike with a lance. Rideby lets you go past the target in a straight line but not turn around and move back. In the interest of moving this along I'll move you slightly closer to a position you could have realistically struck from; either way you'll be in AoO range at the end of your turn so it doesn't make a big difference.

Tarry's turn coming up momentarily.

Another_Poet
2010-02-05, 03:09 PM
Tarry

Tarry considers a wide range of tactical options such as biting, biting harder, or biting a lot, informed by a constant stream of information from his bowels as well as the itchy place behind his ears.

He opts to go with biting, and then throwing other appendages at the annoying thing.

vs. Carg:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

Ending map (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4637/tarrymap5and6.png)

If it's easier, feel free to save the map, edit it in Paint and post it with yoru turn to show your movement. You can just fill the current Doc/Carg He with white, and then copy/paste the Doc from the right sidebar.

Ignore the fact that Carg seems to only be in certain squares; he occupies the entire space that Doc occupies.

Another_Poet
2010-02-11, 11:27 AM
Bump. Also Known As: I did my move, now you do yours. :)

Eldariel
2010-02-24, 08:35 PM
Saves:
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]

26/2-3 = 10
23/2-3 = 8
23/2-3 = 8
25/2-3 = 9
25/2-3 = 9
22/2-3 = 8

24+18+10 = 52 damage. Recorded. Let's see about next turn.

Eldariel
2010-02-24, 08:42 PM
Carg He
HP: 111/334
Starting Location: Y30-BB33 (10' up)
Ending Location: F29-I32 (10' up)

Doc Roc:
HP 160/225

Carg He, in his immense creativity, does exactly the same as last round ending in...Iono, on the other side of T I guess. Let's say F29-I32:
[roll0] for ([roll1]+10 [Leading the Charge]+40 [Power Attack])*3

Composite damage: 225

Another_Poet
2010-02-26, 11:32 AM
Tarry the Tarrasque

Tarry squeals in horror and gazes down at the weird fluid spraying out of the chink in his chest. He is unfamiliar with this - it isn't pee, so what is it?

He feels woozy. Desperately, he tries lapping at the flow of liquid to see what it might be. It tastes good, like fighter, but without that stupid flavour from fighters being stupid and dumb.

Carg is treated to the sight of a Tarrasque trying to double over and 69 itself so that it can drink its own blood pouring out of a lance wound. Then Tarry collapses. [-6 hp, falls prone]

The ref is all like, "1.... 2.... 3...." pounding oin the ground with each count.

WTF? Is Tarry gone?

His trainer doesn't seem nervous. He leans on his awesome stick and orders in a loud but steady voice: "Tarrasque, use Synthesis!"

Tarry opens his eyes. It's fun to be killed and come back. It's his favourite part of a pokemon match. No more fluid pours out of his chest, as the lance wound is closed. [34 hp, still prone.]

Tarry stands up! "Tarra! Tarra! RASQUE!" The crowd goes wild!! [move action]

Tarry readies an action! [standard action]

current map (http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2426/tarrytarrasquethecomeba.png)

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 11:57 AM
Carg He
HP: 111/334
Starting Location: F29-I32 (10' up)

Doc Roc:
HP 160/225
Starting Location: F29-I32 (10' up)

With all the diamonds on his Boots spent, Carg has to get more creative. He directs Doc within point-blank range from Big T (lessay, L32-O34). Does anything happen this time?

Another_Poet
2010-02-26, 12:57 PM
Tarry Interruptus

((Tarry attacks, though whether it's his readied action or an AoO I won't say - your ride-by feat only protects you from AoOs when charging.))

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Continue your turn...

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 01:01 PM
Carg He activates Heartseeking Amulet and attacks:
[roll0] (PA -20) for [roll1]

This attack is done as a touch attack.

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 01:03 PM
[roll0] [roll1]

14 damage registered.

Another_Poet
2010-02-26, 01:08 PM
So 65 damage to Tarry.

What is with the ref saves? Are you saying 14 points got through from Tarry's AoO, or do you suffer damage from the heartseeking amulet?

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 01:14 PM
So 65 damage to Tarry.

What is with the ref saves? Are you saying 14 points got through from Tarry's AoO, or do you suffer damage from the heartseeking amulet?

Reflex-save to reduce the AoO/Readied Action damage through Starmantle Cloak. DC 15 so I gotta roll in case of double 1s.

Another_Poet
2010-02-26, 02:31 PM
Tarry

The lance drops Tarry again! Carg's lance is stuck in his eye! [drops to -16 at the end of his turn]

Carg's lance is shoved rudely back out at him from the corpse. The eye blinks and consciousness returns to it again! [awakens with 24 hp at beginning of turn]

Tarry full attacks the fighter from prone! ((Accepting the -4 penalty to attack & AC for doing so.))

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

edit: "first gore" is a nat 1 so no damage from that one.

edit: here's the map (http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2426/tarrytarrasquethecomeba.png)

Another_Poet
2010-02-26, 02:39 PM
((I deleted the damage lines instead of the crit confirm lines by mistake... here.))

bite
[roll0]

claw
[roll1]

second claw
[roll2]

first gore - missed

second gore
[roll3]

tail slap
[roll4]

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 03:51 PM
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]

39/2-3=16
20/2-3=7
19/2-3=6
25/2-3=9
19/2-3=6

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 04:11 PM
Carg He
HP: 51/334

Doc Roc:
HP 160/225

Using his Boots of Speed, Carg He full attacks (PA: -6; High Ground and Haste mean his attacks are at +39 vs. T's Prone AC of 36, and Unconscious AC of 28):
[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5]
[roll6] for [roll7]
[roll8] for [roll9]

Then he activates his Belt of Battle for a Full-Round Action and does it again:
[roll10] for [roll11]
[roll12] for [roll13]
[roll14] for [roll15]
[roll16] for [roll17]
[roll18] for [roll19]

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 04:12 PM
Second full attack contains a critical threat:
[roll0] [roll1] (Lance is an X3 weapon)

Another_Poet
2010-02-26, 04:44 PM
After Carg's fourth stab, the ref jumps in waving his arms.

"Tarry is unable to battle. The match goes to Carg He!"

Tarry disappears into a burst of light as his trainer activates his poke-ball. The trainer does not stay to shake Carg's hand, instead rushing off to get Tarry to the nurse.

Eldariel
2010-02-26, 04:53 PM
Carg He's skin glistens ever brighter as he stands in the sun. Truly he's the paragon of human...orc...dragonborn body sculpture!