PDA

View Full Version : an odd computer question.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 10:17 PM
when I type a website address in other places I've visited start popping up. There's nothing bad the history just irritates me. Yes I've deleted browsing history and anything else I can think of.

Can somebody help? It's firefox on Linux. Also the links aren't bookmarks I have anymore so deleting bookmarks is out?

Mr. Mud
2009-12-02, 10:19 PM
Unfamiliar with Linux... but what version of Firefox? I'd just turn history off completely (It's in Options or something... Set the days history is retained to 0, or check the box that says "Don't save history". Whichever apply)

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 10:27 PM
already done that. Not affecting it.

Glyphic
2009-12-02, 10:29 PM
I believe if you go to "tools", then the privacy tab, the option for "Remember what I type in form and the search bar" is there. Sounds like what you are looking for.

Unclick the box.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 10:32 PM
already been unclicked

Jack Squat
2009-12-02, 10:42 PM
Is it only showing sites you've visited, or just sites in general?

As an aside, do you have yours set to clear all private data on close?

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 10:44 PM
sites I've visited not just sites in general. For example it's saved things I've typed into search bars.

it is set on clear private data on close and I clear it on opening.

Jack Squat
2009-12-02, 10:52 PM
Which Linux? Which Firefox?

I'm going to take a stab that you're running Ubuntu and Firefox 3.0, but tell me if it's different.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 10:59 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 and I'm not sure which version of firefox. I should probably know how but mind telling me how to check it?

Jack Squat
2009-12-02, 11:03 PM
If it's not 3, you'll be ambushed with updates :smallwink:

The problem is that RichResults isn't in private data anymore.

In the address bar type in 'about:config' and scroll down to 'browser.urlbar.maxRichResults'.

double click on the number 12, and in the popup window change it to 0.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 11:10 PM
"changing these advanced settings can be harmful to the security, stability and performance of this application.you should only continue if you are sure of what you're doing."

should it say this?

Jack Squat
2009-12-02, 11:12 PM
Yes. Just don't change anything else and you'll be fine.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-02, 11:20 PM
Thank you so much. I don't know why but that history was driving me crazy.

Jack Squat
2009-12-03, 12:00 AM
No problem. The whole thing gets on my nerves too at times.

Mando Knight
2009-12-03, 12:18 AM
when I type a website address in other places I've visited start popping up. There's nothing bad the history just irritates me. Yes I've deleted browsing history and anything else I can think of.

It's a feature of Firefox: it allows it to auto-complete for a wider range of subjects. They call it the Awesome Bar (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/#location-bar).

If you don't want this coming back ever again (ever), another easy fix is to go to Tools/Options/Privacy, then under the Location Bar heading, select "Nothing" from the dropdown menu. You can also have it default to only looking through your bookmarks.

Jack Squat
2009-12-03, 12:27 AM
It's a feature of Firefox: it allows it to auto-complete for a wider range of subjects. They call it the Awesome Bar (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/#location-bar).

If you don't want this coming back ever again (ever), another easy fix is to go to Tools/Options/Privacy, then under the Location Bar heading, select "Nothing" from the dropdown menu. You can also have it default to only looking through your bookmarks.

For me the layout for Tools/Options/Privacy is:

History:
Keep my history for |90| days
Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar
Remember what I've downloaded

Cookies:
Accept cookies from sites [Exceptions]
Accept third-party cookies
Keep Until |they expire| [Show Cookies]

Private Data:
Always clear my private data when I close Firefox [Settings]
Ask me before clearing private data [Clear Now]

I was thinking there was an autocomplete option somewhere, but couldn't find it, which is why I showed him how to do it through the config file.

Mando Knight
2009-12-03, 12:32 AM
I was thinking there was an autocomplete option somewhere, but couldn't find it, which is why I showed him how to do it through the config file.

Hm. Have you switched to Firefox 3.5 yet? That should give you those options.

thubby
2009-12-03, 06:02 AM
you can manually erase those by putting your mouse over an entry and pressing "delete"

the awesome bar sometimes makes very weird leaps so it's good to know :smalleek:

Jack Squat
2009-12-03, 10:19 AM
Hm. Have you switched to Firefox 3.5 yet? That should give you those options.

Probably not. I mostly use Chrome, so unless Firefox yells at me to update it, I generally leave it alone.