PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a PvP war game.

golentan
2009-12-02, 11:49 PM
Hey all, I am (as the name suggests) running two parties on opposite sides in a military game. I've made them special operations and pretty much given them their head, with XP tied to accomplishing objectives and how well they advance their side's cause. I've balanced the sides so victory is dependent on the PC's actions. I've given them objectives such that they should be able to complete their primaries with only moderate interference, but their secondary and tertiary may bring them into conflict, and both have a chance to sabotage their foes.

Is their anything else I should be doing? Anything I did wrong? This is my first PvP campaign. Any sage advice you have is welcome.

infinitypanda
2009-12-03, 12:15 AM
Might not fit into a war game, but Head of Vecna. Head of Vecna.

golentan
2009-12-03, 12:49 AM
Might not fit into a war game, but Head of Vecna. Head of Vecna.

I'd rather not. This is actually not a dnd game, and vecna wouldn't fit. Unless there was some serious xanatos gambit-ing going on of course.

Maybe I can work something similar in...

Glimbur
2009-12-03, 11:09 AM
I'd rather not. This is actually not a dnd game, and vecna wouldn't fit. Unless there was some serious xanatos gambit-ing going on of course.

The Head of Vecna is an old story. There were two competing adventuring groups. One of them spread rumors of the Head of Vecna. The other group went to find it.

They found it. Then they argued about whose head they would cut off to replace it with the head. They finally pick someone, cut off their head, and argue some more. Then they put the head on, and nothing happens. Clearly they waited too long, so they try again.

Then a druid finds it all alone, and summons apes to cut his head off and replace it.

The head was non-magical, and had both eyes for most of the trick.

golentan
2009-12-03, 12:22 PM
The Head of Vecna is an old story. There were two competing adventuring groups. One of them spread rumors of the Head of Vecna. The other group went to find it.

They found it. Then they argued about whose head they would cut off to replace it with the head. They finally pick someone, cut off their head, and argue some more. Then they put the head on, and nothing happens. Clearly they waited too long, so they try again.

Then a druid finds it all alone, and summons apes to cut his head off and replace it.

The head was non-magical, and had both eyes for most of the trick.

Yes. I'm familiar with it. It still doesn't fit, but like I said "maybe something similar." Vecna aside, does nobody have advice for me?