PDA

View Full Version : Romance of the Three Kingdoms campaign - Team 2, Adventure 1

Pages : [1] 2

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 01:48 AM
Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Current Adventure: Adventure 1 - The Red Feast

Previous Adventures: None, as of yet.

Active players:

Liu Chao, LN Human Crusader (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169601) played by lostlittlebear
Shanto CN Gnome Wizard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=168789) played by kaosubaloo

Expected posting frequency: At least 1 / day. I will similarly be doing at least one per day updates (with a few rare exceptions). If you plan to be absent for an extended period of time, please PM me to work something out. Otherwise, if a player doesn't post for a day, then I (the DM) decide his actions for that day, to the best of my abilities.

-------------

The year is 188 AD and the Late Han dynasty is falling apart, despite having beaten back the peasants' Green Bandana Revolution, instigated by the brothers Zhang Jiao, Zhang Bao, and Zhang Liang. The local warlords, who had amassed armies to fend off the revolt, now seek other uses for their troops.

Map (http://threekingdoms.com/map2.htm)

Point of Departure from History/Novel:

The Emperor Ling died suddenly in 187, two years before he historically did. By all accounts from the imperial doctors, Emperor Ling died of natural causes, although some remain suspicious. Ling's son Shao ascended to the position of Emperor at age 11, assisted by the Regent Lord Dong Zhuo.

Because the Green Bandanas have not been as thoroughly stamped out yet as in history, the friction between various lords are significantly lesser, and suspicion of Dong Zhuo has not yet mounted.

Starting Point for PCs:

The capital of the realm, Luoyang. Emperor Shao is a puppet and Regent Lord Dong Zhuo (human) is attempting to consolidate his power and remove his rivals for so that he can usurp the throne easily. His adopted son Lu Bu (goliath) is the mightiest warrior of the realm, and the Chief of Police in Luoyang. Heroes from across the realm have been invited via Imperial Edict to the capital, so that they may be honored for their efforts against the Green Bandana rebellions.

Within Luoyang, suspicions are growing among the general populace, and opportunistic characters see this as their path to fame and fortune.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 01:50 AM
There will be no OOC thread for this campaign. Please post all OOC comments in spoilers, like this:

Can I rebuild my character to have Lightning Reflexes instead of Iron Will?

Dice rolls should follow your description of what your character does, and you should edit your post shortly afterwards to explain the results.

Please post your character's statements in color, with each PC picking a different color.

Throughout the game, I will be posting notes for myself. Anything that's spoilered that says "DM" should obviously not be read by any of you. That is, don't read things that look like this:

DMYou bad, bad player!

Anything that isn't explicitly marked DM though, you can feel free to read.

Similarly, sometimes I will direct comments only to one or more players. You are on your honor not to look if you're not listed.

-------

Typically I allow my players to retool/rebuild their characters in a teaser Adventure 0, but to make the two teams progress at roughly the same speed, we will be foregoing Adventure 0 and jumping right into the action.

You may do a limited rebuild of your character early on in the game--PM me if you have a desire to do so.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 01:51 AM
(reserved for other things)

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 02:03 AM
Day 13: (same numbering as for other team)

Liu Chao:

Today was a typical day for you. You idly patrol the public areas nominally to fulfill your job duties, but everyone know you will never get fired or receive a promotion, it's to many on the force, your actions seem pointless. You continue doing so every day, however, mostly with the intent of gathering information and educating yourself about the state of the realm.

Much has been happening of late. Many heroes and aristocracy from all around the realm are arriving in Luoyang. They are all here at the Emperor's invitation.. there is to be an Imperial Banquet honoring those who helped drive back the Green Bandanas on Day 22, about a week from now.

You have heard of many of them heroes of the land, even if you have never met them. Cao Cao, the gnome who is the adopted son of a powerful eunuch, who once tried to assassinate Dong Zhuo. Sun Jian, a human of the powerful Sun clan who holds the lands in Jian Dong. Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu, adopted brothers who hate each other's guts.

You idly wonder if you could possibly attend the banquet and meet these luminaries, but you have heard that this is difficult. Other than Dong Zhuo's men, only those to be honored and their invited guests are allowed.

Also, you have recently heard of a dispute between Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu. This could potentially have realm-shaking consequences, considering the results of the dispute between Lu Bu and his last adoptive father Ding Yuan... you think perhaps it would be a good use of your time to ask around a little about this.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 02:11 AM
OOC:

SQUEE! Right in the middle of the one of my favourite sections of the book ahhaa. Always wanted to bitch-slap that loser LuBu in the face though, pity he's likely to be epic level. What's the context/situation of this party? (e.g. Why are we together?)

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 02:11 AM
Shanto:

Business is surging with the new arrivals. Your magic shop also sells alchemical items, and you notice that there has been a lot of demand for Greater Antitoxin in recent days. Upon speaking to some of your customers, you hear that some of the guests who have been invited to attend the Imperial Banquet next week have been assassinated along the way, so there is a healthy bit of paranoia going around... as well as a healthy profit to be made.

One of your brothers warn you to be careful regarding certain customers. Some of the out of town lords have personal vendettas against others, and are willing to destroy anyone who has even the slightest of associations with their foes. Another of your brothers suggest visiting the gnome lord Cao Cao, who is known to be relatively generous and kind to gnomes.

An mild argument breaks out, because the first brother has heard rumors of Cao Cao being on bad terms with the Regend Lord Dong Zhuo, and Dong Zhuo is definitely not a person to offend, when your shop is in Luoyang. You suspect that it may be a good idea to do a little information gathering.

OOC:

Uh.. could you please come up with names for your brothers, please?

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-03, 02:34 AM
I'll do my text in Blue As for Brothers. Sheng and Xao Len. Also, since I didn't include this previously, Lesung shall serve as my family name. I've updated my sheet to include this.

I'll have a proper post up tomorrow morning, after I've actually gotten a few hours of sleep.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 02:49 AM
Liu Chao yawns, surveying the crowded marketplace.

Someone of my talents should be put to better use than garrisoning this decadent city. I should be out on the frontlines, making a name for myself, not patrolling the city for the thousandth time and letting my spear grow rusty...

Maybe I should ask around about these rumors I've been hearing - maybe if I find out enough I might get the attention of one of these warlords I've heard so much about.

Heading towards the local watering hole, Liu Chao pauses outside the local magic shop, wondering if should perhaps check if there is anything new on sale.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 02:51 AM
Gather Information stuff:

Please declare which ones you are attempting, and roll the number of hours it takes you to do so (1d4+1). You start at 10 am in the morning.

Also, please remember that I am using step-rolling. A natural 20 means you roll again with a +20 circumstance modifier, and a natural 1 means you roll again with a -20 circumstance modifier, so it is possible to achieve very high results even without very high mods.

Be sure to read all text that you qualify for! (i.e. if you get a result of 26, read the DC 25 as well as the DC 20, DC 10 results).

Who all is attending the Imperial Banquet?

DC 18

Almost all of the main attendants, including Ma Teng (aasimar), Cao Cao (gnome), Liu Biao (elf), Sun Jian (human), Yuan Shao (orc), and Yuan Shu (halfling).

Additionally, there is a half-elf named Liu Bei who has been raising a lot of ruckus, claiming himself a fifth cousin once removed of the current Emperor Shao. Liu Bei does not seem to have an invitation.

DC 25

There are a total of 31 heroes to be honored at the Imperial Banquet. Each of the honored is allowed to bring up to 6 guests. 23 of the the invited heroes have already arrived in Luoyang. Rumor has it that at least some of the remaining have been assassinated. There is talk of Dong Zhuo gathering the best alchemists in Luoyang for some nefarious purpose.

Where is (a particular faction leader) currently residing?

You find the address of any one of them with a DC 12 Gather Information check, with the exception of Liu Bei, who requires a DC 17 Gather Information check.

What news is there about Dong Zhuo / Lu Bu?

DC 14

The two are having quarrels over some woman.

DC 20

There is a girl, Diao Chan, who is a concubine of Dong Zhuo's. It is said that Lu Bu has plans on the girl himself. Lu Bu has been covertly trying to recruit those who can help him in this regard.

DC 26

The two are quarreling over a half-elf woman named Diao Chan. She is the adopted daughter of Wang Yun, and has been recently made a concubine by Dong Zhuo. Rumors are told of Diao Chan and Lu Bu being lovers first, with Dong Zhuo interfering. Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu have been icy to each other recently: Lu Bu is not currently allowed into Dong Zhuo's mansion, despite Dong Zhuo being his adoptive father. It is rumored that Lu Bu still pines for Diao Chan, and is covertly seeking people who could help him.

What is there to know about Lu Bu?

DC 10

Lu Bu is, simply put, the mightiest warrior in the realm. He wipes out 50-man platoons with a single swing of his weapon, the Solar Spear. He also happens to be the chief of police of Luoyang.

DC 13

Lu Bu is a man of simple pleasures--wine, women, wealth. Although he is not the most charismatic of heroes, he is by no means dumb.

DC 15

Lu Bu's weapon, the Solar Spear, was a powerful artifact left from much earlier times. Some whisper that it is from Xiang Yu, the mighty warrior whom Liu Bang, the first Emperor of the Han, defeatd.

Lu Bu has a mighty horse named the Red Hare. The Red Hare is at least twice the size of a normal horse, and runs at least twice as fast.

DC 20

The Red Hare was what caused Lu Bu to defect from his former master, Ding Yuan. Lu Bu murdered Ding Yuan in the night, and presented Ding Yuan's decapitated head to Dong Zhuo as a sign of loyalty. The man (loosely used in this game to mean any male) is thus considered extremely treacherous by scholars, although he has been known to treat his warriors well.

What is there to know about Dong Zhuo?

DC 10

Dong Zhuo is the Regent Lord and the governor of Luoyang. He used to be a mighty warrior, but has grown corpulent of late.

DC 15

Dong Zhuo possesses a mighty sword known as the Sword of Eight Moons. It is said that he was given this weapon as a gift by Cao Cao.
(OOC: Sword of Seven Stars in original RoTK.)

DC 18

Dong Zhuo rarely sees anyone unimportant.. it would probably be futile to try to gain an audience with him. This is particular true recently as he seems to be busy with a new concubine named Diao Chan.

DC 25

Dong Zhuo has amassed a huge army in the outskirts of Luoyang, nominally the better to protect the Emperor with. His intentions are dubious, however.

DC 32

Dong Zhuo has recently developed an extremely strong ingested poison known as Doombloom. He plans to use this to kill all his potential foes at the Imperial Banquet.

Other information is also available (especially about some of the other lords), upon request/roll. Obviously, re-tries are allowed.

Killerloop
2009-12-03, 04:48 AM
Sorry for delay, sheet is here (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=4202)

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 05:23 AM
Are we supposed to form our party before or after we go around searching for information?

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 05:35 AM
Killerloop:

Could you write a little bit of a backstory? Also, did you look at the Profession house rules on the recruitment thread? Especially with a high INT character, the profession skill could be very useful (for example, it's more efficient to get Profession[Merchant] than Gather Information). Things like Profession[Calligrapher] will have significant RP uses, and Profession[Soldier] gives you tumble, which is always nice.

lostlittlebear:

You're all still separate for now. You may meet while doing the same information gathering, or you may be introduced to one another by your prospective employer.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 05:42 AM
Ah, I see.

Liu Chao decides that perhaps he doesn't need new magic items after all, heading to the local inn, he decides to get some information about the feud between Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu

Rolls:

Time taken: [roll0]
Gather Information check: [roll1]
(P.S Do i get bonuses from having been in the town a long while?)

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 06:06 AM
Liu Chao:

You get a +4 bonus for knowing general things about Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo, but not the recent dispute because, well, it's recent.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 06:29 AM
Liu Chao smiles upon hearing this piece of information, a plan slowly formulating itself in his mind.

Lu Bu surely will need inside information on the girl's whereabouts, and for that he needs an inside man. An inside man lowly enough not to attract attention, but well-known enough to get information. In other words, someone like me... And when I know enough about his plans, I can turn the information over to someone more likely to put it to good use if Lu Bu does not give me an important position. In other words, a potential triple cross.

He decides to find more information before putting it into action.

Gather information to find out where Lu Bu/other people stay: [roll0] (Do I get more bonuses here?)

Knowledge (history) to find out which lord apart from Dong Zhuo is most powerful/well placed (probably Sun Jian/Yuan Shao but hey it can't hurt to roll):
[roll1]

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 06:38 AM
Note that the addresses of each lord requires a separate check (as well as a time needed roll). I'll give you Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo's for free though, since you've been living in Luoyang for a while.

Each of the lords have their own strengths and weaknesses. To get this information, I will need a separate Knowledge[nobility] or Gather Information roll for each lord (and you do not get bonuses for these, and Knowledge rerolls are never allowed unless you gain skill in it). It's also not super-important at this point.

Dong Zhuo has by far the highest wealth and ranking currently.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 07:19 AM
Everyone, OOC:

Note there are no less than 8 major lords in the Luoyang, and each of them have tasks they need accomplished, and each of them can make you wealthy beyond your wildest probable estimates. It may be a good idea to see which quests are available and easiest before attempting any.

Also, please note that I have a tendency to DM with a "realistic" style.. the PCs are not meant to overcome every encounter, and must figure out when to bet and when to fold. Sometimes, you could succeed in your mission but still screw yourselves over if there are too many witnesses. Use common sense.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 07:25 AM
OOC:

Ah, I see. In that case can we assume I did not make the gather information check?

Deciding to check up on his first lead first, Liu Chao heads over to Lu Bu's estate and attempts to seek an audience.

Killerloop
2009-12-03, 08:08 AM
Chan

I've chosen Profession (Doctor) because we haven't any healer in the party. I was tempted to be a merchant because being a Telepath would give Chan a VERY big edge :)

Chan heard that there will be a big banquet at the imperial palace and would like to know why. Though usually not good at social interactions he is curious anyway.

GatherInfo: [roll0]

Since I have the Read Thoughts power, I would like to use it to get a bonus to this check somewhat. After all reading minds is a good way to get informations :)

Killerloop
2009-12-03, 08:13 AM
Hours used: [roll0]

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-03, 01:13 PM
Shanto

"Brothers! Don't argue! There is time for bickering later but for now, there is work to be done. The both of you present valid points and this banquet is far to good an opportunity to pass." Shanto paused a moment to consider things herself. "Still, I shall have to be most careful with whom I side."

Shanto will finish her conversation with her siblings, cutting it short if it goes on to long, and gather information about the banquent and more specifically some of her potential employers.

Hopefully I do this right.
For News about Dong 1d20+12
For news about Cao, which I am requesting 1d20+12

Assuming one of my brothers didn't tell me:
Residence of Cao 1d20+12

Edit: Clearly, I don't have a full understanding of how the forum dice roller works. Help?

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-03, 03:23 PM
Is second try the charm?
For news about Dong [roll0]
[roll1]
For news about Cao, which I am requesting [roll2]
[roll3]

Assuming one of my brothers didn't tell me:
Residence of Cao [roll4]
[roll5]

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 06:49 PM
Chan Kong:

In order to receive a bonus on your Gather Information check because of your abilities, you need to specify how many times/power points you use on Read Thoughts. I'll adjust with a randomized circumstance bonus and tell you your final result.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 06:55 PM
Shanto only:

You find information about Dong Zhuo as listed in my previous post. As for Cao Cao, your expert social prodding skills allow you find out the following:

Cao Cao hails from the city of Chen Liu, and on the constant lookout for talent, who he is willing to recruit with riches and status.

Cao Cao has two cousins, Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan, who are competent military leaders. He also has an advisor by the name of Chen Gong.

Cao Cao's eldest son, Cao Ang, is a capable spy and has helped Cao Cao procure a number of pieces of important information.

Cao Ang was asked to do some work in Luoyang, bu has not reported back from his latest mission. Cao Cao is very worried for his son.

You find Cao Cao's residence, a manor in the south side of the city. This manor is part of his adoptive father's estate.

It is now 7pm for you.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 06:58 PM
Liu Chao:

As you show up at the main gates of Lu Bu's manor, you see two humans literally being thrown out the door by Lu Bu. "Bah! Weaklings! As if your ilk can be of any use to me." You can tell Lu Bu is in a foul mood.

Lu Bu notices you, and half-growls to you. "What? Have you also come to try your luck?" He looks around and is mildly surprised that no one is standing beside you. "Are you a fool or are you really that strong to come to me with no companions?"

Killerloop
2009-12-03, 07:07 PM
OOC: Since I can use Read Thoughts for 6 minutes let's say I use it 5 times in circumstances I deem 'correct' for a total of 15 power points.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 07:09 PM
DM:

Luck: [roll0]
Luck: [roll1]
Luck: [roll2]
Luck: [roll3]
Luck: [roll4]

Each roll over 25 gives a +1 bonus. Each roll over 75 gives a +3 bonus.

Killerloop
2009-12-03, 07:16 PM
Ok then DC is 22... not enough to burst the DC25 so only DC18 is revealed.

*A lot of VIPs* thought Chan to himself *And this Liu Bei is making a lot of noise, I have to learn more about this.. but how to get to the Imperial Banquet??*

OOC: How can I get an invitation? Or sneak in somewhat. Furthermore we better start to tag along or the game will become messy.

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 07:19 PM
Chang Kong:

You gained a +6 bonus on your check from your abilities, and consequently have a check score of 24 for attendance of the Imperial banquet (sorry, I don't think that actually gave you any more information).
It is now 1pm for you, and you have plenty of time left in the day for more attempts.

OOC:

So.. uh, a backstory? Any relatives in high places? Any experience with the Green Bandanas? Any reason to want to adventure, rather than be a standard doctor? (Since you have Profession[Doctor], you know that there is a legendary doctor named Hua Tuo who's traveling the realm. He is said to be able to cut open a man's head to remove the sources of disease.)

You surmise that the only way to get into the Imperial Banquet is to have an invitation. You'd guess that each of the invited lords probably can bring a couple bodyguards or advisors to the banquet.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 08:50 PM
Liu Chao bows as he addresses Lu Bu.

"The true worth of a man is not judged by how many friends he has, Honored Knight General. What difference would it make if I came with 10 friends or 20? If you deem me worthy you would hear me out."

OOC:

Do I need rolls, or just RP the conversation?

ghostaxe
2009-12-03, 09:36 PM
Lu Bu collects himself a little and responds, "I won't assume you a fool, but I won't assume you competent either. Many seek my employ and the rules are the same. You get one chance to pass my test. If you fail, I'll not listen to your prattle any further. If you succeed, I'll give you a job to do and a spectacular reward upon its completion. Don't ask me the nature of the test; I won't tell you in advance. Do you want to try right now or after you recruit another couple mercenaries to improve your odds?"

lostlittlebear
2009-12-03, 11:45 PM
Liu Chao nods.

"I would like to attempt the test without aid. I would rather not be thought of as a weakling who relies on others to do what he cannot."

ghostaxe
2009-12-04, 12:06 AM
Liu Chao:

Lu Bu looks at you, and bellows, "You have courage! I like that. Now we'll see if you have skill as well."

Liu Chao only:

Lu Bu takes you into his mansion, and walks with you to an outdoors training area about 100 feet by 100 feet. There are weapon marks on the trees, presumably from previous attempts, but no blood.

Lu Bu grabs his spear, an unimpressive weapon with the handle painted white, and takes up a defensive stance. The weapon then suddenly shines with a bright white light, and it resizes to a 20-foot long weapon.

Lu Bu continues. "The test is a simple of martial skill. Simply touch me, or my armor, with your weapon within 2 minutes, and you pass the test. Do not worry, I will not strike you."

Round 1 No surprise round. Lu Bu appears to be taking a full defensive action. You are 30 feet away from Lu Bu. You only need to hit his touch AC within 20 rounds to succeed. Your turn.

NOTE: You may want to come up with a better plan than just rolling 20 attack rolls, because I will tell you right away that has less than a 1 in 20 chance of working.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-04, 01:41 AM
Rolling for maneuvers:
[roll0]
[roll1]
(Maneuvers are listed in the order I posted on my char sheet. Top =1 , Bottom = 7)

OOC: Must I touch him with my weapon? Would a successful bull rush count?

Maneuvers: Crusader's Strike and Stone Bones

ghostaxe
2009-12-04, 01:50 AM
Liu Chao only:

A successful Bull Rush counts. A failed one doesn't (he uses his shield to smack you away). Note that he is a goliath and has a +4 size modifier to bull rush.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-04, 02:16 AM
OOC:

Sigh, the sad thing about being a crusader is that I have nothing to increase attack rolls with.

Round 1:

Liu Chao quaffs a potion of heroism and charges.
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-04, 02:32 AM
Liu Chao:

Quaffing the potion takes a standard action, so you charged on your next turn.

Lu Bu gently contorts his body and your swing connects with nothing but air. You are now 10 feet away from him, and it's round 3.

Yeah, this was supposed to be a team effort. Ah well. Plenty of other lords for you to try, and there's still the chance you'll roll really well.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-04, 03:00 AM
OOC:

Yeah, oh well. At least I'll get the chance to run around smacking him.

Round 3:

Liu Chao tries again with the charge.
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-04, 03:03 AM
Liu Chao:

You can't charge this round because you are already within attacking range. You could attack, and then back up so you can charge next round.

Keep rolling until you roll a natural 20.. then you have a chance of touching him with your +20 step roll.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-04, 03:08 AM
OOC:

Ohhh I see.... Hmm, time to try sneaky tricks. What exactly is considered "armor"? For example, are gauntlets considered armor?

Round 3 (revised):

Liu Chao sweeps his spear in a long arc, trying to catch Lu Bu unawares
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-04, 03:11 AM
Liu Chao:

Armor refers to the portions covering him.. i.e. gauntlets count, but not his shield or weapon.

Attempting to catch him unaware is a Feint. Since you don't have improved Feint, that's a standard action to do a Bluff check (see Bluff skill).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-04, 06:52 AM
Feinting wasn't exactly what I had in mind ^^, especially considering the ridiculous BaB he's sure to add as a bonus.

Round 4 - 10:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Liu Chao unleashes a flurry of blows aimed at Lu Bu, exercising his deepest knowledge of his family's ancestral spear techniques, struggling to even chip the slightest bit of paint off this invincible warrior's armor.

(P.S How does a level 15 character get a TOUCH AC of >30? Not that I'm complaining of unrealism or anything, seeing as Lu Bu was the strongest warrior in the 3 kingdoms, but would just like reference for future optimizing notes.)

(Edit: Aiyeeee, a 19!!!!)

ghostaxe
2009-12-04, 06:01 PM
Liu Chao:

No hits yet. The mighty warrior never seems to be where you expect him to be, and dodges all your attacks with ease.

OOC: Parrying Shield (feat) allows you to add your Shield bonus to touch AC, so that's a +7. Full Defense action gives another +6 to touch AC. DEX bonus of +3 (with mithral full plate). That's 26 already, and he has a bunch of other equipment/skills.

BTW, if you really want to go for a touch AC monster (which Lu Bu is not), you should take a 2-level dip into Wilder, which gives you the "Elude touch" ability, letting you add CHA bonus to touch AC. (It also synergizes well with Paladin/Hexblade CHA bonus to saving throws).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-04, 08:07 PM
7 more rounds:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Liu Chao presses the unrelenting attack, hoping that one of his blows will finally slip through.

(Edit: Okay, time for sneaky tricks. Will post when I get back from training.)

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 06:04 PM
Liu Chao:

All misses, as you probably guessed.

Everyone, OOC:

Uh.. are you guys still here? Please let me know if you're not interested in playing anymore, or if this is a temporary hiatus.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-05, 09:20 PM
Shanto

Still here and still interested. No post yesterday because I was particularly busy and also because I'm, what, 6 hours ahead of the next person? I had planned to wait until someone progressed a little further (that someone being Killerloop, at this point...) but now that seems to have been a somewhat fullish choice.

For the future, I'll make sure to tell you if I don't plan on posting for a given time.

Regardless, On with the somewhat delayed post.

The gathering of information has proved routine but informative, as well as providing ample time for Shanto to consider her options. Cao Cao would provide as good a choice as any, better then most, and if Dong really didn't care for him, as her brother suspected, then she found it unlikely he would hold the fact against a known mercenary such as herself. After all, any good employer cared about reputation, and not previous employers.

Regardless, it's off to Cao Cao's Mansion.

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 09:24 PM
Shanto:

You approach Cao Cao's mansion, and the guards, seeing that you are alone, ask you to state the purpose of your visit.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-05, 09:45 PM
Shanto

"I am Shanto, Lady of Perfect Virtue! I am here on business to speak words with your lord, perhaps forge a deal for my more permenant services. As for the specific topic of our conversation...well, that is something I very much doubt Lord Cao would want declared for all to hear. Suffice it to say it is a private matter for the Lord that he wants solved, and I am his solution.

With her speech finished, Shanto Stands in front of the gate, tapping her foot impatiently on the ground.

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 09:54 PM
The guards look at each other amusedly, and one of them hails a messenger, and relays your request to the messenger. The messenger rushes into the mansion, and then emerges a short time later.

"Lord Cao Cao is busy right now, but is potentially interested in what you have to say. Please follow me, and Master Chen Gong will test your abilities, and provide a recommendation to Lord Cao Cao on whether to accept your employ."

Shanto only:

You walk into a brightly lit room to the west wing of the mansion. A middle-aged human in scholarly robes puts down his quill pen and looks up from his work as your presence is announced by the messenger.

"Ah, another one to seek the employ of Lord Cao Cao. As I'm sure you know, Lord Cao Cao is most open-handed with his talented subordinates, and if you are a woman of abilities, you will certainly find no lack of important tasks and pecuniary rewards with us. However, we must first make sure that you are a woman of talent. Please come with me."

Chen Gong leads you to a training area where five soldiers are currently playing cards. 2 of them are humans, 1 is a dwarf, 1 is an orc, and 1 is a gnome. They are all in similar uniforms, and they rise to salute Chen Gong.

Chen Gong speaks to you, "Your lack of war gear and bulging muscles show that you are a woman of intellect, rather than brute strength. You test is simple. One of these five men has more talent and experience than the others, and is consequently higher ranked. It is your duty to discern which one he is. You have all night, and may use whatever methods you wish, but if you provide the wrong answer in the morning, then perhaps you'd best seek employ with another lord."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-05, 10:27 PM
Shanto

DM:

"sigh...this is such a waste of my talents. Still, one must not complain of an easy task. Shanto takes a moment to prepare herself before casting Detect magic.

She will carefully consider everything in the room, with this but her main goal is to see if any of the men possess anything magical, and if so, who has the most. She will of course check each Aura for strength as well, though not for the school. The man with the most magic on him will be focused on.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-05, 10:39 PM
Liu Chao:

(OOC @ghostaxe: I'm not sure what rolls to use for this series of actions, so I'm going to describe them and let you decide what rolls to use and if they are even feasible in the first place.)

Liu Chao, realizing that he has no chance at even touching Lu Bu, casts his spear aside.

"Truly," he says, "For every mountain, there is always another higher. Your prowess with the martial arts is such that I cannot hope to touch you."

Walking closer to Lu Bu, he clasps his fists together and bows, signaling his respect.

OOC:

Okay, so here's the sneaky part of this trick. Traditionally, when pugilists have finished a duel, they exchange mutual bows, and Liu Chao figures that Lu Bu will probably show him the respect of exchanging a bow, in the same manner with clasped hands. Due to their proximity, Lu Bu's bow means he leans in very close to Liu Chao himself. Pretending to be overcome with embarrassment at being saluted by one so much greater than himself, Liu Chao will try and help Lu Bu up, holding onto his wrists to help him out of his bow. (Like yknow, the embarrassed hurried thing they do in all the martial arts movies when they are pretending to be modest.)

If he manages to do this, he will claim that he has won the challenge, for a warrior's fists should rightfully be considered one of his "weapons".

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 10:39 PM
Shanto only:

You sense many magical auras (mostly of the abjuration, transmutation, and illusion schools) on all five of the men. It seems that none of these are mere soldiers, and that all are seasoned, and perhaps high-ranking, men with powerful equipment.

The dwarf seems to have the most magical aura on him, the most powerful on him being a moderate Transmutation aura. It is difficult to tell exactly how many there are, as the stronger auras are drowning out some of the weaker ones.

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 10:46 PM
Liu Chao:

As you bow to the mighty warrior, Lu Bu spits out, "Pathetic. You had about 20 second left and you gave up. You disgust me." The Solar Spear shrinks back to its normal size, and Lu Bu straps it onto his back.

He does not grace you with a bow. Instead, he grabs the back of your armor plate, and picks you up, lifting you easily with his mighty strength. You sense that he is planning on physically throwing you over his mansion walls and out onto the street. He does not seem to be guarding against a sneaky touch right now. You may make your touch attack now, if you wish.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-05, 11:28 PM
Shanto

I need a confirmation on dispel magic, if I do area dispel, does it dispel all spells on a target after I succeed, or only one?

Also, could you be more clear on whether the auras come from spells, items, or the people themselves. I understand if not, but thought I'd ask.

DM:

Well, that's interesting. So they're all magical. Shanto Ponders furiously about these men. they are all cloaked in magic, but most especially in Illusion and Transmutation. That means they could easily be disguised in any number of ways. Still, that knowledge could prove useful.

Knowledge Arcana Check for casters proficient in the those schools and that may be affiliated with Cao.
[roll0]

Furthermore, Shanto shall attempt to identify the most powerful spell on each man, and either the three most powerful, or the two most powerful and the most powerful illusion on the Dwarf.

Humans:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Orc:
[roll3]

Gnome:
[roll4]

Dwarf:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Also please keep in mind that I get a +1 bonus versus Evocations, and a +2 verses illusions. These are not included as I do not know where they will be relevant.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-05, 11:36 PM
Op, that last one was a 20...
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 12:14 AM
Shanto:

As per the SRD, if you do an area dispel, it affects at most one magical effect on each person in the area. You make a caster check again the strongest effect, and then work your way down until you succeed against one effect. If you do a targeted dispel, you can affect every spell effect on the target.

Some of the magic definitely appear to be emanating from the men's equipment, while others linger on their bodies (likely as the result of a spell). Unfortunately, Detect Magic does not allow you a Spellcraft check to determine spells affecting the various targets, only the schools of the spells.

Knowledge[Arcane] is for knowledge of spells and arcane monsters. Knowledge of arcane users with Cao Cao is a Knowledge(Nobility) roll. Since you rolled decently well, I'll apply your roll of 18 with your +8 Know[Nobility] roll for a result of 26.

You recall that Chen Gong, the man who led you here, is currently Cao Cao's chief adviser. You also recall that Cao Cao is himself known for being extremely crafty, and may be an arcane magic user himself. Cao Cao has also been recruiting a good number of talented men (and women) recently, but you are not as familiar with the new additions.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-06, 01:24 AM
Shanto

Ah, I wasn't sure on the identifying of the spell. Book says:

Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.

...Which you could go either way with, for a spell like detect magic, depending on the circumstances and spell I'm trying to identify. Figured I'd give it a try. The same thing can be said for the Knowledge check, I wasn't sure which one to go with so I decided to try Arcana.

Anyway, it's looking like I'm going to have to, *gasp* actually solve a problem without magic. >_<

DM:

Sigh. There is nary a problem in existence that couldn't be solved with magic, but Shanto was hardly prepared to solve this task in such a way. Well, their was the obvious solution, but most potential clients frowned upon setting their homes ablaze. No, She would have to solve this the muggle way - Bribery and Blackmail...Though before that, there's always good old fashion guile.

"Hmm, I don't suppose any of you would care to just tell me who among you is of the highest rank? Please? No. That wouldn't work, would it. In that case, let me say this-" At this point Shanto cuts herself off and runs to the room's nearest entrance before beginning to mumble under her breath, preparing to draw upon her innate Gnomish power.

She unleashes a thundering call for help, accompanied by the a massive explosive sound and specifically the call to protect Cao Cao.

Ghost Sound: The Gnome Power. Positioned so as much of the radius as posible is out of the room, without actually leaving the room.

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 01:37 AM
Shanto:

OOC: You know, you have a good 10 hours or so to complete the test.. you could buy whatever scrolls you needed. But other methods work too. Regarding Spellcraft checks for spells already in place: I'm going to rule that you have to have interacted with the spell effect in order to get the Spellcraft check. That is, if you get hit by someone with Bull's Strength, and you do Detect Magic, then you can make the Spellcraft to realize he's under the effects of Bull's Strength, etc.

The dwarf smirks as you complete your action. "You're not the first to think of that trick you know, and besides, we're not on duty right now. It's the other guards' responsibilities, even if it was a real explosion."

Sure enough some soldiers on duty come by to check out the disturbance, and see only you. They are puzzled and talk amongst themselves about whether they should detain you, when Chen Gong emerges, and tells the guards it's OK. Chen Gong then says to you, "A good attempt, but please keep the volume down in the future. We wouldn't want to alert the City Guards."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-06, 08:21 AM
Ghostaxe:

Okay, I'll try. Is it just a normal attack roll?

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 09:35 AM
Liu Chao:

Melee touch attack roll. You lose the bonuses from weapon and Weapon Focus. However, you don't take a -4 for not having Improved Unarmed Strike, because you're not trying to do damage.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-06, 01:05 PM
Shanto

DM:

Very well then, Blackmail it is. "Tell me boys, are any of you familiar with Cao Cao's Son? I find it...simply tragic that he is lost and alone in Luoyang - or elsewhere, by now. Clearly he met a foe the likes of which his skill could not surpass. It is only...unfortunate that he remains missing even with his own father in the city." Shanto paused for a moment for dramatic effect. "Of course, the truly sad part is the fathers apparent failure to hire anyone - such as myself - who would be suited to tracking the boy down. Well, I'm sure he has hired someone for the job, but I can hardly speak for the quality of a man I have not met, and if he was doing all that good a job, well, I'd imagine I would have heard of him."

Brilliant! Simply brilliant! Not a man alive could pass up so quality in drama!

since that's...probably not working, Shanto will, after checking to make sure they aren't going anywhere, leave to purchase a scroll of Detect Thoughts, before hurrying back here.

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 08:38 PM
Shanto:

You see the faces of the five men darken as you mention Cao Ang. One of the humans speak up, "I'll grant that you are smart to have picked up this information, but it is not wise for you to say things such as this, especially outside of these walls. The fool who doesn't know when to shut her mouth will not live long.. if you are smart you will consider your words carefully in the future."

The five soldiers do not appear to plan on leaving their card table. You quickly find a merchant dealing in scrolls. The travel to and from Cao Cao's manor takes about 40 minutes. Would you like to purchase anything else before you head back?

lostlittlebear
2009-12-06, 08:54 PM
Liu Chao:

Here goes nothing...

[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 08:59 PM
Liu Chao:

OOC: Eh... ouch. Even without his Shield and Total Defense and DEX bonuses, Lu Bu's touch AC is higher than that...

Liu Chao, you feel a magical force deflect your arm about a centimeter before you manage to touch to Lu Bu.

Lu Bu pauses momentarily. "Oh, I see. That was a ruse, eh? But you still managed to fail. And I have no use for one who can't even touch me when I'm not on my guard."

Lu Bu tosses you over his mansion walls and onto the street. You take [roll0] points of non-lethal damage.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-06, 09:07 PM
Liu Chao:

OOC: Yeahhh, bad rolls today, baddd rolls.

Liu Chao stands up groggily, his humiliation smarting more than his bruises. Composing himself for a while, he dusts himself off and heads away, in search of perhaps another who would employ him.

Lu Bu was right. I need to get stronger if I wish to play a starring role in the this time of tumult.

OOC: Do I go back to Gather Information checks?

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 09:23 PM
OOC:

OK, I'm going to bend some probability laws here for the sake of making the party come together.

Liu Chao:

You have 6 hours left before 7pm, enough for 2 gather information checks. Make the checks on whatever topics you wish.

7:30pm:

Liu Chao, as you finish your day learning more about the new inhabitants of the city, you are heading eastward to return to your home, when a gnome woman dashing through the streets bumps into you. She was muttering to herself as she did so.

Shanto, as you rush back toward Lord Cao Cao's manor after buying the scrolls you need, you were thinking out loud about other possible methods you could use to distinguish the soldiers when you bump into a meaty human (Liu Chao). It suddenly occurs to you that Chen Gong said you can use "whatever means you wish" to complete your task, so you're well within your rights to conscript a warrior to test out the martial skills of the men. (You'll need to explain to Liu Chao what's going on in-character.)

lostlittlebear
2009-12-06, 10:21 PM
Gather information:
[roll0] - Find out who is at the Imperial Banquet
[roll1] - Find out more about Dong Zhuo

Liu Chao is rather upset after the setbacks of the day, and snaps peevishly at the gnome woman.

"Watch where you're going!"

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-07, 12:27 AM
Shanto

We seem to have post someone...sigh.

Anyway, As for buying stuff, well, Shanto would have bought two scrolls of Detect thoughts, so as to have a second copy to scribe into here spellbook later, but other then that, nothing different from what I said. Really, most of the spells best suited for this sort of thing are Enhancements, which I am barred from.

Shanto looks up at the larger man in haste and glowers at him. "I'll have you know..." Wait, I could use him. "That is, good sir, I'd have you know that I'm in quite the hurry for the moment, but I would be more than happy to excuse your transgression if you were to accompany me to to the Cao Cao manor."

Shanto took this time to eye the man more carefully, this time not with fury but rather the distinct look of a wife examining a slab of meat. He wasn't the best cut, but then that was often overrated. No, the second and third best were often not notably inferior, but always had a better price. "Why, I'd even go so far as to offer you a job, should you prover as helpful as I suspect you will." She noded to herself, preparing to move on. "Come now, I shant tolerate dallying, most especially when I'm on a schedule."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-07, 01:02 AM
Liu Chao is about to give the gnome woman an angry retort, when he catches the words "Cao Cao."

This could just be the break I need!

Smiling politely, he takes the scrolls from the woman's hand.

"Lead the way, dear lady."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-07, 01:59 AM
Scrolls in hand? Hah! Can you say Bag of Holding?

Course, in this case, it really doesn't matter, but please keep this in mind for all your future attempts to take stuff you don't know about.

ghostaxe
2009-12-07, 02:32 AM
The two of you return to Cao Cao's manor. The guards at the entrance recognize Shanto, but not Liu Chao. They stop the two of you briefly to question Liu Chao's identity, but accept Shanto's explanation and allows the two of you in.

As you return to the training area, you see that the 5 men are still at their cards.

Liu Chao:

As you enter Cao Cao's manor, and are quickly lead to a training area where you see 2 humans, a dwarf, an orc, and a gnome playing cards. They are in plain soldier's uniforms. Each of the men's weapons are clearly at least of masterwork quality. They halt their games as your gnome companion rushes onto the scene with you.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-07, 03:28 AM
OOC: Oh well, apologies! It's just Liu Chao trying his best to be polite and nice to the gnome woman who will help him get an audience with Cao Cao. Rest assured I'll check for future acts of courtesy ^^

"And what are we supposed to do here, dear lady?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-07, 03:50 AM
OOC:

Hi guys, Killerloop has PMed me that he's withdrawing from the campaign, so it's just the two of you on this team! Don't worry though, I'll be giving you extra cash and equipment to make up for your lack of numbers. And on the bright side, the game should move faster this way.

(You can also try to recruit friends to this game if you want, PM me to let me know.)

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-07, 11:28 PM
Shanto

"Well, first is first, tell me man, what do you see of each of these men. Leave out no detail, not even race, for there is magic at work here, the nature of which may become more clear with the proper observations. Once that is done, you are to challenge the most powerful and high-ranked among them to a sparing match."

I would like to make an appraise check to determine the value of each man's wardrobe, if possible. Shanto will do this while Liu sizes them up - assuming, of course, that she can make the check in this manner. Personally, I don't see it as a stretch, but then again, mine is not the final voice on the matter.

Dwarf:
[roll0]
Gnome:
[roll1]
Humans:
[roll2]
[roll3]
Orc:
[roll4]

ghostaxe
2009-12-08, 02:23 AM
DM:

Shanto's Will save vs. illusion: [roll0] (forgot the +2 vs. illusions, but still doesn't make)

Shanto:

You judge that the men's swords are masterwork weapons. Their armors, ranging from leather to full plate, look non-masterwork and plain, despite their magical auras. The other items that registered as magical (such as the dwarf and orc's gloves) also don't appear very spectacular. You're beginning to suspect that perhaps a Nystul's Magic Aura spell was used to fake the auras.

Liu Chao:

OOC:

Hm, not sure how to handle this. Normally you need a feat to judge the opponent's character level relative to yours with a Sense Motive. Why don't you roll Sense Motive against each of them, and I'll wing it for the results.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-08, 06:13 AM
OOC:

Sounds cool, but will I know if it fails? I have some ideas I could try.
And Killerloop quitting is sad news indeed - I built my crusader for party combat, not single self-sufficiency.

Humans:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Dwarf:
[roll2]

Gnome:
[roll3]

Orc:
[roll4]

Liu Chao sizes up the men, judging their experience and ability by the way they hold themselves and survey the room.

"I see 2 humans, a dwarf, a gnome and an orc. Give me a while to ascertain their abilities."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-08, 07:20 AM
OOC: Why not pop them in with the rest of us at party one? 7 players isn't too bad, and if Stelios stays missing then it will only be 6, like you intended.

ghostaxe
2009-12-08, 08:59 AM
OOC:

Indeed, merging the parties might be quite viable in the near future. Let's let the current encounter play out though.

Liu Chao:

The rest of the men look like riff-raff, but Human #2, the one using a spiked chain, seems like he's clearly capable of handling himself. You'd venture to guess that he's the best warrior of the bunch.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-08, 10:16 AM
"The human using the spiked chain seems to be the most competent, at least as far as I can discern by mine eyes alone."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-08, 07:45 PM
Shanto

Shanto makes a quick scan of the table, trying to spot if any of the men where obviously winning over the others at their game.

"Very well then, carry on. I wish to make further observations before committing myself to a more permanent action."

Shanto turns to address the other men. "While we're waiting for the two of them to finish, would you mind if I took his place at the table? I'm not much of a gambler I must admit, so don't expect me to play for silver, but in truth I would do me good to whined down a little."

Shanto will play to the best of her ability - and probably not do to well, since She's poor at bluffing and worse at detecting other doing the same. However, while she is playing, she will be keeping a close eye on who is winning most often, as well as if anyone throws a hand that would have been an easy win.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-08, 09:34 PM
Liu Chao steps forward and bows, addressing the spike-chain wielding man.

"Care for a duel sir?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-09, 12:25 AM
The spiked chain wielding human stands up from the card table and bows to Liu Chao. "Very well. I am called Miaocai. Since it would be impolite to spill blood in Lord Cao Cao's manor over a sparring match, what say you to wooden practice weapons?"

(Assuming you agree, you and Miaocai are both equipped with wooden practice weapons (no masterwork/magical bonuses). You start 20 feet away from each other in the courtyard. (I don't think a map is necessary here, but if you want one I can doodle one quickly.))

Initiative, please.

DM:

Miaocai initiative: [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-09, 12:30 AM
Shanto, you take your place at the card table, and start playing. For the most part, the others seem more intent watching the battle between Liu Chao and Miaocai, but spend more attention on the game when that fight is finished.

The men were playing for money previously, and clearly aren't playing as professionally with you, since you declined to wager real money, and you don't really notice a clear winner or any shady tactics. They seem to be playing with you mostly because Gongsun Zan would want them to.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-09, 12:54 AM
Ah, I should be more clear, Shanto is willing and expecting to play for money, just would just rather play for copper, as opposed to larger coins. I suppose I could have been more clear in this regard.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-09, 03:16 AM
"Wooden Weapons it is."

Initiative: [roll0]

lostlittlebear
2009-12-09, 10:52 AM
Rolling for maneuvers:

[roll0], [roll1]
Stone Bones + Leading the Attack

ghostaxe
2009-12-09, 11:44 AM
Shanto:

Same response applies. Each of the men has between 5 and 10 gold pieces wagered in the game. In incorporating you into the game, they aren't very serious when the wagers have suddenly been reduced to a few coppers.

Liu Chao:

Miaocai goes first. He chants briefly, and then shouts, "Drop your weapon!"

Make a Will save DC 14 or drop your weapon.

He then moves to 10 feet away from you. It is now your turn.

EDIT: Wait, are you currently using a lance, or a shortsword. If you're using a lance and failed your will save, Miaocai moves right next to you. (He's using a practice spiked chain).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-09, 07:22 PM
OOC: I'm using my spear, if they gave me a choice

Will Save:[roll0]

lostlittlebear
2009-12-09, 07:33 PM
OOC: Phew, just made it. @Ghostaxe, would it be okay if I tweaked some of my stats after this adventure?

Liu Chao just manages to resist the influence of the shocking shout.

Raising his spear, he responds with one in kind. Channeling his rage and fury into supernatural strength, Liu Chao strikes out at his opponent, his very skin hardening as the maneuver takes it's full effect.

OOC: Using maneuver Stone Bones. If I hit I gain DR5

lostlittlebear
2009-12-09, 07:34 PM
Sorry for the triple post, the rolls didn't work for some reason.
Rolling for maneuvers: [roll0]
Rolling for attack: [roll1]
Rolling for damage (if any): [roll2]

ghostaxe
2009-12-09, 09:12 PM
OOC:

Go ahead and tweak your stats as appropriate. I'll go ahead and tell you that every significant NPCs in this game is multi-classed, so don't be shy.

DM:

Will save to recognize illusion: [roll0] DC 24.
Step roll if necessary: [roll1] DC 24

Miaocai easily dodges your attack (incidentally, he is wearing a chain shirt). He concentrates for a split second on his weapon, and his practice weapon is bathed in an aura of fire. He attacks you with the weapon.

Martial Lore DC 11

Burning Blade (Desert Wind boost)

DM:

attack roll: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

The fiery weapon hits you for 18 damage, with 10 of that being non-lethal and 8 of it being fire. The fiery aura on the weapon quickly dissipates after the attack.

Miao then takes a 5' step towards you, so that he's right next to you.

Your turn.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-09, 11:02 PM
Shanto

The men seem to have little interest is playing with Shanto, perhaps because of her superior skill? Either that or they aren't interested in the wages of the peasants. No matter, either way so long as they don't try, Shanto isn't likely to get what she had hoped from the game. Then again, cards are hardly the best source of skill anyway.

Well, what could a little more subterfuge hurt? "Tell me, men, are any of you accomplished in the arts? The lot of you have the look of fighters about you, any could see that, but one does wonder what other talents may be hidden underneath." Shanto lets the implied question sit for a moment. With a little luck this men weren't so modest as Shanto herself.

ghostaxe
2009-12-09, 11:12 PM
(roll Diplomacy checks for things like this in the future)

Shanto's Diplomacy:

The orc begins, "Well, I like to paint. I'm not very good, but I'm getting better."

The dwarf responds, "I like to play go, and think about military tactics. The Green Bandana are hardly the masters of strategy, but the day may come when I need to face more wily foes."

The gnome speaks, "Bah, in between time needed for wife, kids, concubines, and their kids, who has time for hobbies? "

The human tried to interrupt the gnome, but wasn't fast enough to prevent the former from saying "concubines." The human looks frustrated and embarrassed, but responds anyway. "Well, I like archery. I go onto the fields for practice and archery competitions against the other soldiers from time to time."

DM:

Shanto's will save: [roll]1d20+3

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-09, 11:55 PM
Yah, it worked! Fear me, for I possess the blessing of the RNG gods!

As for the roll, it slipped my mind, I'll try to remember next time around.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 03:44 AM
Liu Chao grunts as the wooden sword hits home, but the blow and the pain gives him strength.

Raising his spear, he steps backwards slightly and strikes back, a blue aura of energy surrounding him.

Liu Chao takes a 5ft step back and attacks with Revitalizing Strike.
Just curious, reading ToB again seems to indicate I need to make the successful melee attack as part of the initiating procedure. RAW, does that mean I don't burn a maneuver if I miss? If I didn't burn the maneuver last round, I use Stone Bones instead.
Maneuver:[roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Maneuver gained: Charging Minotaur

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 04:44 AM
OOC:

On page 39 of the ToB, it states, "Once you have chosen a maneuver to initiate, you must resolve its effects." It then goes on to list attack rolls and how they can be resisted. On the next page, under "Recovering expended maneuvers," it says that "when you initiate a maneuver, it is expended."

Thus, it seems pretty obvious to me that a failure uses up the maneuver, because you've already "initiated" it, it's just that your opponent resisted it with his AC.

Your attack hits, and your opponent grunts at the pain, surprised that your blow carried such a wallop. You momentarily pause, waiting for your life forces to be restored, but that does not occur. Belatedly, you realize that your opponent may have the same alignment as you.

OOC:

Don't blame me, I built this guy before you built yours!

Miaocai considers the bulky size of your weapon, and decides on a risky gambit. He takes a 5' step towards you, and casts a spell.

Make a Will save DC 15 or be paralyzed.

It is now your turn. (If you're paralyzed, you can take a full-round action to try to break free of the magic with another Will save).

OOC:

Are you deleting posts to reroll? Because on my email notifications, it shows you as having posted at 10:36, 12:40, and 12:42, each with rolls, but I only see 1 post...

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 05:07 AM
OOC:

Huh, that's strange. I deleted one post because I was trying to submit it from my IPhone while I was out and it messed up, not three. Unless some weird shiz happened. Weh, if I was rerolling I doubt i'd have messed up my Lu Bu adventure so bad.

Anyway, rolls:
Maneuvers: [roll0]
Will Save: [roll1]
(Also, I don't mind if you roll saves and such for me, it'd probably speed up the game if you did)
Maneuvers gained: Foehammer

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 05:10 AM
OOC:

Rerolling with zealous surge: [roll0]
If that fails, full round action to break it: [roll1]

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 05:17 AM
Liu Chao's knees buckle as the paralyzing spell threatens to take over his body.

"I.. WILL.. NOT... SUCCUMB!"

Roaring, he sweeps his spear in a devastating arc.

5ft step back and attack
Maneuver used: Foehammer
Attack roll:
Damage roll: [roll]1d8+2d6+4

(Edit: W00T! How do I resolve crits with step-rolling?)

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 05:29 AM
Go ahead and do a standard confirm roll. Step rolling is only useful for when a 20 wouldn't normally succeed (i.e. the opponents AC is much much higher than your attack roll).

Also, you'll need to roll damage and crit damage, because your original damage roll didn't work (I think you can't add 2 variables like 1d6+2d8. You'll have to do it separately, first rolling 1d6, and then the 2d8).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 05:36 AM
Confirm roll:[roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1] + [roll2]
Critical damage roll: [roll3] + [roll4]

(Edit: You've got to be kidding me 0_0. What are the chances of that)

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 05:42 AM
As Miaocai takes another hit, the other 4 soldiers noticeable become more interested in the fight, as if they were completely not expecting the sparring match to proceed like this.

Miaocai, sweating and bruised, sees your heavy armor, and a plan forms in his mind. He tumbles back, and then moves back further.

DM:

[roll0]

His acrobatic maneuvering succeeds. As he is in light armor, he is now 65 feet away from you (10ft away to start, tumble at half speed for 5 ft, move 50 feet).

It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 06:12 AM
Liu Chao curses as Miao Cai nimbly slips out of his weapon's reach.

Recovering his composure, he calls out sportingly.

"Good dodge!"

Moving forward, Liu Chao readies himself for his next attack.

Maneuvers gained: [roll0]
Double-move to 35 ft away from Miao Cai.
(EDIT: Eh sorry! I just realized I should have run out of readied maneuvers last round. In fact, I forgot to declare which maneuvers I readied today. For sake of convince can we assume I readied the 5 maneuvers I currently have used/been granted? Namely they are - Revitalizing Strike, Foehammer, Stone Bones, Leading the Attack and Charging Minotaur. I haven't used Leading the Attack and Charging Minotaur yet, though, so I recover two this turn and one next turn, so effectively I'll have all 5 when I begin my next action.

So sorry! Crusaders' maneuver gaining method is confusing.)

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 06:18 AM
OOC:

You're aware you can move to 25 feet away from him, since your base speed is 20ft?

Miaocai moves another 30 feet back (so 55ft away), and casts a spell on himself.

Spellcraft DC 17

Cure Moderate Wounds

DM:

[roll0]

It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 06:23 AM
OOC:

Am aware, just didn't want to move within attacking distance too easily. Was hoping to provoke him into a charge.

Also, did you see my edit above about my massive mechanic mess-up?

Liu Chao continues to chase Miao Cai, on guard against any attack.

Moves to within 35ft of him, readies an attack to attack him if he moves within range.

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 06:32 AM
OOC:

No problem about the maneuvers prepared.

Miaocai moves to 55ft away and casts a spell.

Spellcraft DC 16

Lesser Vigor

It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 06:35 AM
OOC:

Exactly how big is the courtyard? :smallannoyed: I hate fighting against gishs/duskblades - I always assume they are melee fighters with a small dip into caster or are using magic items. I never realize what they are until too late.

Liu Chao double-moves to 20ft away from Miao Cai.

Again, Liu Chao moves towards Miao Cai, slightly frustrated at his refusal to fight.

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 06:45 AM
OOC:

Since you're significantly slower than him, and he didn't use his full distance moving, I kind of assumed he was leading you around in circles. I imagined the courtyard to be roughly 100 ft by 200 ft.

Seeing that you have double-moved, Miaocai decides to take the offensive. He charges you and hits you for 8 damage.

DM:

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

He is 10 feet away from you. It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 06:55 AM
"That's more like it!"

Liu Chao lunges forward again, his whole weight behind his thrust.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2]+5 = 14

I know it's shooting myself in the foot to point this out, but don't medium spiked chains do 2d4?

(Edit: First roll should've been 1d8, but I'll accept the rolled number)

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 07:04 AM
Liu Chao only:

Interesting observation about the spiked chain damage (not that you should be looking at things marked DM). The numbers are correct as they stand.

Your attack hits. Miaocai clenches his teeth and renews his attack on you. You are hit for 7 damage.

DM:

C: [roll2]
C: [roll3]

It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 07:12 AM
OOC:

Not even in combat? Sorry, that's a bad habit of mine. Will stop.

Liu Chao laughs, enjoying the vigor and brutality of the fight. Even as he does so, he answers Miao Cai's blow with another in kind.

Maneuver used: Stone Bones

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 07:17 AM
Liu Chao:

Normally I don't DM tag combat things. This fight needed to be DM tagged for the exact reason you noticed. That's something the player can learn something about, but not the character. (I rolled your Will save secretly and you failed.)

Miss. Again, with the attacking:

DM:

A: [roll0]
D: [roll1]

Miaocai hits you for 11 damage.

It is now your turn. (BTW, all damage is non-lethal except for the 8 fire damage from earlier).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 07:24 AM
Liu Chao staggers slightly under the latest onslaught.

Damnit, I'm going to lose if I don't do something soon....

With a feral roar, he smashes his spear down using every ounce of his strength.

Here goes nothing. Max power attack.
Maneuvers Regained: [roll2] 1 = Foehammer 2 = Stone Bones
(Edit: Should be 1d8+16, sorry)

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 07:33 AM
Miaocai swayed under the force of your attack. The other human, at the card table, rises from his seat, but then the gnome touches him on the shoulder. The human nods, and sits back down.

Miaocai decides he must also start using his aces, and turns invisible.

Martial Lore DC 12:

Cloak of Deception

You feel a blow to your left leg a split second later, and take another 7 damage from the attack.

DM

A: [roll0] (EDIT: Oops, should be +14, but makes no difference)

Miaocai reappears into sight at the conclusion of the attack, right behind you.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 07:55 AM
Liu Chao stumbles slightly as the blow hits home.

Another blow like that and i'm done for....

"Take this!" He roars, striking decisively in the hopes of ending the duel once and for all.

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 08:00 AM
Miaocai just barely manages to sidestep your attack. He steps in and continues his onslaught.

DM:

His weapon hits your armor with a loud clang, but you feel no pain; it seems your armor bore the brunt of the damage.

It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 08:08 AM
Bracing himself, Liu Chao throws himself at Miao Cai.

Maneuver used: Charging Minotaur
Strength Check: [roll0]
If successful, damage: [roll1]

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 08:17 AM
DM:

resist bull rush: [roll0]

As you rush headlong towards Miaocai, your opponent dodges with his upper body and kicks back with his legs with surprising strength. You fail to move or damage your opponent.

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 08:19 AM
DM:

Miaocai twirls his spiked chain around, and the weapon hits you in the back for 11 damage.

It is now your turn.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 08:42 AM
Liu Chao takes the blow hard, in his stomach, coughing up a bit of blood.

The world goes hazy, but he manages to stay on his feet, making a desperate blow.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Maneuvers: [roll2] 1 = Foehammer 2 = Stone Bones 3 = Charging Minotaur

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 08:58 AM
Your final attack misses. As Miaocai prepares another attack, he notices you fainting from your efforts.

Shanto only:

Miaocai cast a spell on Liu Chao.

Spellcraft DC 16

Lesser Vigor

You awake a short while later, as you feel your bruises magically recovering (albeit very slowly). Miaocai extends his hand to you. "Well fought, my friend! Were it not for your lack of a ranged weapon, I do believe that the tables could have been turned. I am Xiahou Yuan, alternatively known as Miaocai to my close companions"

As Xiahou Yuan speaks the last few words, his form shifts, and the illusion on him dissipates, revealing a gnome warrior in a mithral chain shirt. Xiahou Yuan continues, "You have proven your abilities, and I am certain Lord Cao Cao will have a high place for you in his court. Alas, my spells are limited, please follow me to inform Lord Cao Cao and Adviser Chen Gong of the events."

Xiahou Yuan excuses himself and Liu Chao, and the duo walk to Chen Gong's office. Xiahou Yuan returns a short while later and says to Shanto, "Your companion has passed his test, but don't be fooled into thinking that you can automatically benefit from your friend's success. "

Liu Chao only:

You recover 15 normal HP and 15 non-lethal HP.

After Xiahou Yuan leads you to Chen Gong's quarters and inform him of the events, Chen Gong tells you that Lord Cao Cao will meet you in the morning, and will certainly have a position of importance for you. He also apologizes that Lord Cao Cao simply cannot take the time right now to meet with you. He then chats with you briefly, about your background, your intentions, and whether you wish to serve under Cao Cao.

OOC: Let's let Shanto finish her side of the encounter, and then I'll move on to the next event.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-10, 09:45 AM
OOC:

Well technically I wasn't fainting yet, but seeing as I was at 2HP, I'm not complaining :)

Liu Chao

Liu Chao bows deeply, honored that one of such importance would be willing to employ him.

"Rest assured I will do my best to aid Lord Cao Cao in his endeavors."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-10, 12:25 PM
Rolling for Spellcrafts
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: if it's all the same, I'm not going to reroll the two 20s. I don't forsee it providing any additional information.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-10, 12:44 PM
Shanto

Well then, it seems Shanto mannaged to provide a job for the man, so now, it seems their is little delaying let to do. After all, it would be simply unbecoming to let a mere roughian show her up. Then again, he was kind enough to reveal the other man's use of a disguise spell, as well as his accomplishment at magic.

Shanto casts detect thoughts from one of her scrolls. After this she will scan the surface thoughts of all the men, then repeat this process after asking each his rank and name. Her goal is, predictably, to see if their surface thoughts give them away, trying to get them to think of what she needs to know by asking them questions first.

I believe the save DC for this spell is 16. Unless, that is, I make saves against there Wills. Frankly it's a little unclear. Regardless, here's Diplomacy checks for getting them to speak their ranks and names.

Gnome:
[roll0]
Human-Gnome:
[roll1]
Human:
[roll2]
Half-Orc:
[roll3]
Dwarf:
[roll4]

Oh, also, since I almost forgot. >_> I'd like to make a Knowledge Nobility check on the guy that was just fighting, since he was kind enough to share his name with us.
[roll5]

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 10:27 PM
OOC:

Yeah, if there's a set DC, don't bother step rolling if you're already beaten the DC.

Shanto, you recall that Xiahou Yuan is one of Cao Cao's cousins in the military, and he is quite a capable warrior, and one of the more highly ranked officers in Cao Cao's staff. He leads about 3000 men. He has a brother named Xiahou Dun.

The gnome says, "Well, seeing that figuring out who among us is most highly ranked is your task, it seems it would make your job too easy to just tell you."

DM:

Will saves

human-gnome: [roll0]
human: [roll1]
gnome: [roll2]
orc: [roll3]
dwarf: [roll4]

With your Detect Thoughts spell, you are able to listen in on the surface thoughts of all of the men but the orc.

Gnome: "This jerk, why should we hire her? Someone with so little tact as her doesn't deserve a place with us."

Human-Gnome: "That warrior, Liu Chao, will be a most important addition to our forces, and even if just out of gratitude, we should employ this gnome. It's not like we're lacking funds at the moment. But I do wonder if she's up to the task Lord Cao Cao needs done."

Human: "Whatever, it's not my decision. I'll just wait around and see what happens. I hope she says something soon so I can get to bed at a reasonable hour."

Dwarf: "I doubt she can pass this test. Heck, this test is too hard. I wouldn't be able to pass it."

Shanto, do you say/do anything to try to elicit other surface thoughts from them?

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-10, 11:35 PM
Shanto

Well, and I may not have been clear about this, I read each twice. Once before speaking, and once after, when I asked each their name and rank. The idea being, obviously, that asking them that would cause them to think about it.

Regardless, I can still think of a question or two to ask.

Shanto committed each of their thoughts to memory, as well as the Orc's apparent immunity, then proceeded with the next question.

"Who is the half-orc, for lack of a proper name?"

She asks the same question of all the men but the Orc himself, who she instead asks "Whom among us here do you consider the most valuable?"

Diplomacy Again, I guess. never know what they might let slip if I roll good enough. >_>

Gnome:
[roll0]
Human-Gnome:
[roll1]
Human:
[roll2]
Dwarf:
[roll3]
Orc:
[roll4]

ghostaxe
2009-12-11, 12:07 AM
Shanto:

OOC:

The men weren't thinking about anything in particular before you asked them. The above listed thoughts include their responses to your Diplomacy attempt.

Asking a person his rank doesn't make him necessarily think it if he's not particularly friendly to you. For example, if a random hobo on the street asked me what I do, I wouldn't start thinking science and nanotechnology, I would think, "What a creepy hobo. I wanna get the heck away from him."

Wow, 2 natural 1's in a roll against the gnome. You've really hardened the gnome against you. This'll make for interesting future consequences.

Also note that the last member of the guards is an orc, not a half-orc.

DM:

Human-gnome will saves: [roll0]
Human will saves: [roll1]
Gnome will saves: [roll2]
Dwarf will saves: [roll3]

You ask each of the men in turn who the Orc is, but they all say a generic. "He's a soldier--he's one of us." Probing their minds revealed some general recollections of battle scenes against the Green Bandanas. You do not make out any orcs in the memories.

The gnome glares at you and does not respond to your question of who's most valuable. You sense his thoughts of anger directed at you, for your arrogance and lack of mores.

The human-gnome Xiahou Yuan says to you, "Each of us is valuable in our own ways, are we not? We are not identical clones, and we each have our unique talents. I suppose your question must first specify from whose perspective value is defined." Probing his thoughts reveal that he's intentionally throwing sophistry at you; he clearly knows of one person who's the most valuable of the bunch.

The human responds, "Just pick one already. You have a 1 in 5 chance. Who knows? You might get lucky..." You do not pick up anything in particular in his thoughts.

The dwarf speaks, "Look, I pity you, but you must know that we are not who we seem, and that we've been given strict orders not to give you any information to help you succeed. It's a test, because you'll need to be sharp to complete the task ahead of you." The dwarf genuinely seems to empathize with you, but at the same time is beginning to think that you may not be up to the task of locating and rescuing Cao Ang.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-11, 01:27 AM
Shanto

Very well then. In truth, Shanto was growing just as tired of this game as they were. It was time to tip her hand and see what she had wrought. "Truly, this is a task worthy of the effort of one such as myself. No, I'd even say I'm thoroughly impressed with the difficulty in what is such a seemingly simple task. Obviously most here are not who they appear to be. I recognize Xiahou Yuan by reputation if not face, and I'm sure the same could be said of the lot of you, should you all reveal your forms and names.

"Still, I am left perplexed. So I have a final question for you all: Who is Cao Cao?

Please keep in mind that I still have Detect thoughts active. And...another Diplomacy roll. I imagine I won't be endearing the Gnome to me, but hopefully someone else, maybe the Dwarf. >_>

Gnome:
[roll0]
Xiahou Yuan:
[roll1]
Human:
[roll2]
Drawf:
[roll3]
Half-Orc:
[roll4]

ghostaxe
2009-12-11, 04:29 AM
DM:

Human-Gnome [roll0]
Human [roll1]
Gnome [roll2]
Dwarf: [roll3]

Luck:[roll4]

It has been becoming increasingly clear to them that you may be using magic to try to read their thoughts, so it's increasingly difficult to gather information this way. However, the gnome, who you have repeated offended and strongly dislikes you, makes a mental slip.

"Foolish woman," thinks the gnome. "Cousin Cao is right in front of her, but she fails to pierce the illusion despite all this time. She will fail, and we will be rid of her."

OOC:

That's the last piece of info. you're going to get from the Detect Thoughts. Each Diplomacy attempt nominally takes a minute, so your various attempts have already taken you longer than the duration of the spell. Also, the men are wising up to your tactics, and beginning to receive circumstance mods to resist thinking about the answer.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-11, 12:41 PM
Shanto

Nah, I expected it to run out about now anyway. I've been keeping a rough track of how long this should take. Besides, it seems I have enough information now anyway.

Shanto nods to herself, as if confirming that which she had already suspected. "I declare Cao Cao to be the most highly ranked among you."

ghostaxe
2009-12-11, 12:43 PM
The gnome speak up, feigning amusement. "Oh? I take it you think it's me then, since I'm the only gnome other than Xiahou Yuan present?"

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-11, 12:45 PM
Woe is me for not thinking of this sooner, I would like to attempt to disbelieve the Illusion concealing the Half-Orc's true form. I'm making a will save + my bonus versus illusions for this, so please keep that in mind if that's not the save I should be making. Oh course, this is assuming I can make the save in the first place, but w/e.

[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-11, 12:50 PM
OOC:

I've been rolling some Will saves to pierce illusions for you, and you've been failing (the DC is quite high). You fail with your current roll too. Also, what makes you think the Orc is the only one under an Illusion?

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-11, 02:23 PM
I don't think the orc is the only one under illusion. I do, however, think his is the most important of illusions to break. Anyway, it probably wouldn't have made a difference to Shanto's response.

ghostaxe
2009-12-11, 05:57 PM
OOC:

Er.. so what do you do now? Remember the gnome has just spoken to you.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-11, 09:14 PM
Shanto

Ah, sorry about the wait, I had managed to miss that post.

"You're the only Gnome here? I sorely disagree. Though I must admit I have thus far been unable to perece these illusions that hide your true forms, I am aware of them, as if seeing Xiahou Yuan reveal himself were not enough, your own thought confirm it. No, unless Cao Cao is very skilled at creating..." Shanto paused for a moment. "No, that's not quite right. Unless Cao Cao is going out of his way to misdirect his thoughts instead of merely hiding them, I see little doubt that he is here." As Shanto concludes her speech she gestures towards the Half-Orc, whom she suspects is most likely Cao Cao.

She is trying her best to give off a calm front, but she is poorly suited to such things, anyone skilled in reading people can tell she is giddy with excitement.

Of course, she was almost certain this was Cao Cao. Almost. If she was wrong, however unlikely that may be, then the night still was far from over, and he will have likely been revealed.

DM:

Now, because I'm not sure if I was completely clear, here's the plan:

Shanto (and I myself) is fairly sure the the half-orc is Cao Cao, as she said and thought. However, on the off chance that she is wrong, she plans to claim the night is not yet over, and say that Cao Cao is the highest ranking person in the room...after he or one of his companions has revealed him, thinking the game is over.

Course, this is all probably unnecessary, but I thought, in this case, it was probably best to be clear with my intentions.

ghostaxe
2009-12-12, 01:47 AM
The orc seems extremely surprised by your words, but his open-mouthed shock soon shifts into a sly grin. He begins clapping. Xiahou Yuan, the human, and the dwarf quickly join in, and after some hesitation, the gnome does so as well.

Quickly, the illusions on the men are lifted, revealing 4 gnomes and 1 dwarf (who appeared as the dwarf).

The gnome who was formerly an orc is, in fact, Cao Cao.
"Very well done. May I ask what gave me away? I thought my illusions were just about impenetrable."

After your response, Cao Cao declares, "Well, it's clear you have talent as well, and I would welcome you to my staff, if that is your desire. Please come with me to the main hall, so I can give you instructions."

---

Liu Chao, you were in Chen Gong's office when a messenger announces that Lord Cao Cao would like to see both you and Chen Gong. The two of you follow the messenger into the main hall. In the main hall, you recognize Xiahou Yuan and the dwarf and gnome from earlier, as well as 2 other gnomes you have not seen before. One is dressed in the fineries of a lord, and is obviously Cao Cao.

---

Lord Cao Cao takes his seat at the head of the table, and motions for you all to sit as well. As everyone takes their seats, Lord Cao Cao dismisses the servants.

"Congratulations to the both of you, Shanto and Liu Chao. You have both proven your abilities, and I now eagerly seek for you to be part of my staff.

Cao Cao then turns and says, "I think formal introductions are in order. I am Cao Cao, and was disguised as the orc you saw from earlier. This is Xiahou Dun, and he was disguised as the other human. This dwarf is Dian Wei. Finally, this is Cao Ren, who was also undisguised during your first introduction to him.

"Regardless if you wish to serve me in the long term, I have a task that needs to be completed immediately, and I will reward you well for its completion. As Shanto has heard, the whereabouts of my son, Cao Ang, are unknown. I scryed him, and saw that he was in a dungeon some where. In all likelihood, he is in Dong Zhuo's dungeon, because I asked him to spy on the Regent Lord regarding the Imperial Banquet in less than 10 days time. I and other lords of the realm are required to attend, and I fear Dong Zhuo may be up to no good.

"I have sent other spies to look for Ang, but they returned saying Ang was not in Dong Zhuo's personal dungeon or in the city's jails. I fear Dong Zhuo may have learned of Cao Ang's true identity, and locked him up in somewhere even more secure. Another possibility is that Ang is being imprisoned by another lord altogether.

"Freeing Ang is vital. I care not what methods you use, freeing him is your top priority. However, I would recommend a stealth-based approach, because if you are recognized, Dong Zhuo will likely set a warrant for you future arrest. Obviously, you do not want to have to face Lu Bu. So if you do succeed but are recognized, the both of you will have to leave town quickly.. Cao Ren would guide you to Chen Liu, in that case.

"I give you 4000 gp in funds to buy whatever gear you deem necessary for your task as a pre-payment. If you succeed, I will bestow upon you each a powerful magical item. I would suggesting starting your tasks immediately, for I fear that Ang may be killed if he does not yield to torture."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-12, 10:41 AM
"If I may ask a few questions before we begin?" Liu Chao asks respectfully.

"1. Does Cao Ang have any obviously identifying features? May we obtain a picture of him?"

"2. Who was the last to see Cao Ang?"

"3. Is Cao Ang known to have any close friends or enemies?"

"4. Was Cao Ang using an alias when spying on Dong Zhuo, and if so, what was it?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-12, 11:31 AM
Cao Cao draws a scroll from his sleeve, and unrolls it. It is an incredibly well-done portrait of Cao Ang.

"You may keep this portrait, if you think it'll help you find my son. Ang would report to me daily via Whispering Wind spells while I was here in Luoyang. I last heard from him 3 days ago. Ang has his share of rivals, but most are still in Chen Liu--I cannot think of anyone in Luoyang who bears him a personal grudge. He doesn't usually provide the details of his infiltration.. I trust him to do his job properly, and his telling me unnecessary details would only increase the odds that those details will be overheard by eavesdroppers."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-12, 07:11 PM
"Thank you, Lord Cao."

Bowing, Liu Chao takes his leave.

Turning to Shanto, he asks, "Do you have any ideas how to carry this mission out? I have some minor rank with Dong Zhuo, but that's about it."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-12, 09:56 PM
Shanto

Is that 4000 total, or 4000 a piece?

Also, could I get time stamp?

"Ah, Cao Cao, I don't suppose you have anything that belongs to Cao Ang? Perhaps hair or nail shavings, those would be best. If not those then perhaps something else. As I'm sure you know, such things can be quite useful for tracking down and confirming someone."

---

Later, as Shanto and her meat shield are leaving the property. "Well, first is first, and that is confirmation. You are to confirm that Cao Ang is indeed under Lord Dong Zhuo's power. I suggest an Augury spell or something similar for this, as that would be quickest. Regardless, I don't really care how you do it, but have it down by tomorrow morning, and remember to be discreet. Cao Cao obviously doesn't want the whole city knowing what we are doing!"

With a flick of the wrist to indicate he was to remain at her said, Shanto reaches into her Bag and pulls out a sheet of parchment and a quill and ink. On it she then scrawls several lines hastily then tears of a piece before handing it to the knight. "Here are directions to where you will find me. Make sure to get there early tomorrow." Now finished, Shanto shoos him of with a wave of her hand and heads for her shop and home.

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 03:41 AM
OOC:

4000 total between the two of you.

Day 13, 11pm:

Cao Cao nods, "Yes, certainly. I will have the servants go through Ang's room for that which you describe. Come back in an hour, and it will be ready for you then. "

(You can assume that you can pick it up any time on Day 14.)

lostlittlebear
2009-12-13, 05:31 AM
Liu Chao sighs, irritated at the gnome woman's imperious tone, yet conceding the wisdom behind her words.

She did get me the job after all, I suppose I can stomach a bit of irritation...

Liu Chao attempts to recall if any of the officers he knows in Dong Zhuo's staff might have information pertaining to captured spies.

Knowledge (history): [roll0]
OOC: If it's another roll feel free to roll for me.

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 05:34 AM
Liu Chao:

You fail to recall any info and contacts of the sort. It's probably because Dong Zhuo gave you a tiny position of no importance, and neither trusts nor cares about you.

As Shanto mentioned, you could attempt a Gather Information check, but that would probably needlessly alert opposition. (You could take a -10 on your Gather Info. check to do it subtly.. but that makes it quite unlikely to succeed.)

lostlittlebear
2009-12-13, 05:40 AM
Damn that Dong Zhuo, at least Cao Cao gave me SOMETHING to do. I guess I'd better go look for a priest then.

Seeing as he has had no success recalling any contacts or information, Liu Chao decides to take the gnome woman's advice and find a priest who can cast divination spells.

OOC: As for the change to my character, it isn't a big one, just like to swap 1 Point of Con for 2 of Cha. It still keeps my character within a 28 point buy limit. Though I'd like a heads up if we'll be merging parties in the future, because I think I'll rebuild my character if it's just going to be me and Shanto from now on. Crusader builds are mainly for party combat lol.

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 05:52 AM
OOC:

Actually, I think it's rather nice to DM a 2-person party game, and it's fun to have two different teams working against each other, especially in this setting. So I'm leaning towards keeping you guys separate. Feel free to rebuild your characters as much as you wish. In the interest of making the party a little more balanced, I'll let you take the Leadership feat when you get to level 6. If you don't want to, that's fine as well--I just plan on giving you guys a lot more money and resources to work with than the other team.

Also, did Shanto actually give you any of the 4000gp, or did she take all of it? :smalleek:

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 05:58 AM
OOC:

Oh, I completely forgot to distribute XP. I guess I'll also be giving you guys higher XP to make up for the lack of numbers.

Each of you gets 1500xp for overcoming the "Cao Cao's test" encounter. Additionally, you each receive 500xp for roleplaying.

Liu Chao, you manage to find a shady divine spellcasting service organization (temples are closed for the night). They explain to you the services that they can provide (i.e. spells of 4th level or lower).

As you ask for an Augury, the man says, "Yes? What action would you like advice on? Divorcing on your wife? Embezzling from your office?"

You vaguely wonder if it would be a good idea to ask this man about something as sensitive as breaking into Dong Zhuo's dungeons.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-13, 07:03 AM
OOC: Shall we just assume she gave me some to use for expenses? I'll give the rest back anyway. If we're going to be playing apart I'd like to substantially rebuild my char then, I'll have the sheet up tmr. Shall we just use this version first? As long as there's no combat it should be okay.
(Edit: My new char sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169601))

Liu Chao decides to inquire a bit more into the nature of this organization before he asks for their services.

"I have a question of a... sensitive nature to seek advice on. Can you guarantee that my words will not be repeated outside this room?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 09:56 AM
Liu Chao:

Max DEX on mithral chain shirt is 6, not 5.

"Oh, for sure, for sure," say the elf as he pulls out his silver holy symbol. For some reason or other, the silver holy symbol has turned black in parts. "Don't you worry, my man. I won't tell anyone of your transgressions. What happens in Mushi's store stays in Mushi's store."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-13, 11:08 AM
Bah, the only way to deal with riffraff like this is to scare them into submission...

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to need more than just a verbal guarantee. You see, I need a divination spell cast to find someone and settle some old scores. And well, let's say if that someone or his friends get wind that I'm in town and looking for him, things might end very badly for the person who informed them."

Liu Chao casually draws his Dao and lays it on the table.

Intimidate Check: [roll0]
Sense Motive Check to see if he is telling the truth about keeping secrets: [roll1]

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 11:44 AM
Liu Chao:

Also, a weapon can't be Keen unless it has a +1 modifier. (It's under the rules for magic items).

DM:

resist intimidate [roll0]
bluff [roll1]

"Er.. sure, I'll keep quiet. Honest. Wouldn't want you to come back and hunt me down or anything like that. I'm a businessman, not a warrior. I won't want to get into fights or unnecessary trouble."

You sense that he is telling the truth.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-13, 12:01 PM
OOC:

You're right, my apologies. Have made the changes.

Liu Chao nods carefully.

"I would like you to cast a divination spell for me. The question I would like answered is, 'Where can I find that good-for-nothing lying cheating scum known as Cao Ang'? Of course, you will be suitably rewarded."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-13, 01:33 PM
Shanto

Ah, Shanto would have given You 500g for any spells, with the expectation that accounted for every coin you spent.

upon returning home, Shanto prepares her Spellbook and scroll and attempts to scribe Detect Thoughts into her book. After she has finished she will return to Cao Cao's mansion to retrieve the...thing.

Spellcraft for transferring the spell. DC is 17, unless I added wrong.
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 06:37 PM
Liu Chao:

"Er.. so that requires more than a Yes-No answer, so that'll require a Divination. That'll be 305 gold. Pay in advance. And I must warn you that sometimes the deities choose not to answer your questions, and you won't get a refund if that's the case."

DM:

[roll0] DC 24

You pay the man, and he casts his spell.

"The man with acts with the instincts of wounded beast,
for his mind has been kept artificially dull.
His presence is kept far below those with normal sight
by a lord with unparalleled political pull.
He has discovered an important secret,
that's only important until the moon's next full."

OOC:

Moon is full 2 days before the Imperial Banquet, on Day 20.

Shanto:

OOC:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaWizardsSpellbook
You need to study the spell for a full day in order to add it to your spellbook, so that is not possible at the current moment.

When you return to Cao Cao's manor, one of his servants provides you with two of Cao Ang's jet-black hairs.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-13, 07:44 PM
Absolutely true - which is what I get for not bothering to look up how long it should take. >_>

"Shanto"

Shanto carefully takes the hairs and stores them in a Vial in her Bag of Holding. She then returns home to sleep so that she can be up and prepared early the next morning.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-13, 11:49 PM
Liu Chao thanks the man and leaves, wondering if the man will really keep his word. But with only a few days left to find Cao Ang, he thinks that the gamble is worth it - and he hasn't revealed too much of his true identity, or so he hopes.

Seeing how late it is, Liu Chao decides to meet Shanto the next morning, and he heads back home to rest and recover from the day's ordeal, musing on the cryptic prophecy all the while.

"His mind has been kept artificially dull" - that must mean that Cao Ang is under some strong mind-affecting spell.

"A lord with unparalleled political pull" - I don't think anyone else in Luoyang has as much political clout as Dong Zhuo.

"kept far below those with normal sight" - that either means he's being kept underground, or being obscured by some means that cannot be penetrated by the naked eye alone.

"an important secret that's only important till the moon's next full" - it's this line that puzzles me. What secret could lose it's importance, and why before the Imperial Banquet, not on the day itself? Perhaps it is some machination of Dong Zhuo that takes place on that day. Either way, this means we must find Cao Ang within the next 5 days.

Waking up at the crack of dawn, he heads to Shanto's house, and shares his information and thoughts with her.

Maneuvers readied:
Cloak of Deception
Distracting Ember
Fan the Flames
Fire Riposte
Burning Blade
Sapphire Nightmare Blade

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-14, 02:12 AM
Shanto

Spells Prepared:
0 - Ray of Frost
Detect magic
Read Magic
Mage Hand
Light
1 - Ray of Flame
Magic Missile
Reduce Person
Mage Armour
Silent Image
2 - Scorching Ray
Knock
Invisibility
Cat's Grace
3 - Dispel Magic
Fireball
Fly

Shanto listens intently to what the larger man has to say, and ponders over the words deliberately before responding. "I suspect you are correct on the first two points. The third, 'kept far below those with normal sight', does indeed suggest he is being help underground, though it may mean he is merely somewhere most would not think to look...hmm, I suspect it may be both, but the emphasis is important here.

"As for the final line, Cao Ang has clearly learned information that is time sensitive, most likely some political move Dong Zhuo plans, no doubt one that will have a distinct impact on this upcoming dinner. It doesn't really matter what it is, so much as when it happens. Shanto stops to consider this information a second time.

"Well, first is first, you are with the city guard are you not? I don't expect you will be keeping the position, mind you, but I digress. Are you familiar with any of Dong Zhuo's facilities? Even if you aren't, I'm sure you are more accustom to the back streets and allies then I. Were among them do you think is the best place to hide such a facility?" Shanto stares intently at at him, taping a foot with impatience.

Knowledge-check time! Only this time it's someone other than me. I suggest starting with Local.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-14, 03:01 AM
Liu Chao shrugs.

"I don't have any contacts that can help us - I wasn't of a high enough rank to be privy to secrets like that."

"However, I suppose I could make an educated guess, based on my own knowledge of Luoyang and it's local geography."

Liu Chao racks his brains, wondering where in the city would make a good place to keep a prisoner.

Knowledge (local): [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-14, 05:10 AM
Liu Chao:

You recall that Dong Zhuo has a personal dungeon in his manor. There is also a large official city jail to the west side of the city, run by Lu Bu. Those would be the obvious places that Cao Cao says he's already had checked out.

For non-obvious places, there are just about countless possibilities. For example, there may be a dungeon in the Imperial Palace itself, to keep out everyone who's below a certain rank. If it's a secret underground dungeon, the entrance could be hidden anywhere in Lu Bu or Dong Zhuo's manors. If he's been "hidden in plain sight," so to speak, Cao Ang could be anywhere in the city, disguised as a pauper or bedridden man. You also recall that Dong Zhuo is originally from Xi Liang, and could potentially have sent any important prisoners to his manor there via Teleportation.

DM:

Dumb luck check: [roll0] DC 20

lostlittlebear
2009-12-14, 06:10 AM
Liu Chao tells Shanto all the information that he can recollect.

"There are too many possibilities - we need to narrow them down even further. Maybe we should try another Divination, or a location spell."

"Alternatively, there are other magical options we could discuss. Perhaps we could magically implant a suggestion in one of Dong Zhuo's officers, and get him to snoop around for us?"

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-14, 02:26 PM
Shanto

"A Suggestion? I'm...unskilled at such magic. My speciality lies more with Evocation. Still, you are right that we need to narrow the possibilities. I suspect he's being kept in this city, or at least near it, but it may be best to confirm that first. We had best also try to see if he is being kept in the palace, though I don't believe he, such a place would be to obvious.

"Cao Ang is most certainly not in Lu Bu's manor, and Cao Cao would have already tried searching Dong Zhuo's." Shanto pauses in deep thought. "Well, what are you waiting for, find what you can find!" Discussion evidently dismissed, she indicates a bag of coin on the counter, containing another 500g, and a more then clear expectation that Shanto will fry the man if he spends it on something unrelated to the job.

With her partner gone, Shanto leaves herself to purchase some scrolls, and perhaps a wand...Right after, that is, first going to Cao Cao's manner to confirm exactly where Cao Cao has already looked.

I'm going to change one of my feats if that's okay, I took it thinking I'd be with the rest of them, but I'd rather swap it for something more immediately beneficial.

As for what Shanto's buying, She's after a Wand of Detect Secret Doors. Levels aren't really important but she wants a fully charged one mostly.

Gather info if needed.
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-14, 03:46 PM
Shanto:

Chen Gong informs you that Cao Cao's agents have verified that Cao Ang is not in the Luoyang jail or in Dong Zhuo's personal dungeon. They were not able to search Dong Zhuo's manor thoroughly, however, since security is quite tight. The Imperial palace has not been searched at all, because it is a major crime to be in the palace without proper ranking and business.. if agents are caught, not only will they be put to death, but Cao Cao would also stand to face severe punishment. Chen Gong advises you to be extremely careful if you plan to infiltrate the palace.

You are able to find dealers of Magic Wands. There are several wands of Detect Secret Doors in stock, including a couple partially charged ones (one with 1 charge left, and 1 with 42 charges left).

DM

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-14, 04:48 PM
Price tag?

ghostaxe
2009-12-14, 04:50 PM
OOC:

Unless I state otherwise, you can always assume partially charged items are priced proportionally. 50 charges is 750 gp, for 15 gp a charge. 42 charges is 630 gp.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-14, 07:15 PM
Liu Chao takes the money and thinks quietly.

Well, I suppose we shall try the magical option first, although I fear 500gp may not be enough for what I have in mind. Oh well, I suppose I can always come back for more.

He proceeds to make inquiries about where he can find a sorcerer or mage who can cast 4th level spells for a fee, as well as other divine casters who can cast divinations and auguries and keep their mouth shut.

Gather information: [roll]1d20+2[roll]
Knowledge (local): [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 08:53 AM
Liu Chao:

You know of several businesses in city that provide Arcane and Divine spellcasting for standard price. As for whether they would keep quiet.. you suspect each of them are liable to be bought for the right price. Your best chance is probably to just not let know the full nature of what you're doing.

OOC:

If you have particular spells in mind that you need casted, let me know and I'll determine their availability.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-15, 09:43 AM
Liu Chao decides to head to one of the Dother ivine spellcasting businesses he can recall.

OOC:

I'm looking to cast Locate Creature and Augury, if Augury can answer simple yes or no questions. Basically I'm going to get some yes/no questions answered, then do a grid-like search of the city with Locate Creature, which I'll explain once I get the price for the casting.

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 12:37 PM
OOC:

Both spells are generally available. However, due to the description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/locateCreature.htm) of Locate Creature, you cannot use it to Locate Cao Ang since the caster has not seen Cao Ang before.

Augury will provide you with a Weal, Woe, Weal and Woe, or neither response. You can try that, but beware it fails some times. Please read the spell description and tell me exactly the action you're asking advice on.

Spell cost is as listed on PHB/SRD. 10*(caster level)*(spell level), plus any material components necessary.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-15, 09:13 PM
OOC:
Can locate creature work if we show the caster Cao Ang's picture?

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-15, 10:42 PM
Shanto, by the way, will have returned home to wait for the results of Liu Chao's task. That is, assuming I don't think up anything else for her to pick up in the mean time.

Her home is also, I might add, a magic shop, which means exactly as much as you want it to mean.

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 10:42 PM
OOC:

No. Unlike the description for Scrying, where a picture is enough, Locate Creatures does not allow second-hand knowledge.

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 10:44 PM
OOC:

Shanto, I was going to mention this earlier, but it's not really fair for you to "own a magic shop," so to speak, because that gives you too much in the way of resources. I'm willing to allow that your brothers own a magic shop and would be willing to give you some discounts, but free items and such are obviously out of the question.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-15, 11:26 PM
OOC:
Oh, ouch, that does throw a spanner in the works. Oh well, so can Augury answer questions like - Is Cao Ang in Loyang? If not, I'm just going to have to do it the old-fashioned way I guess and head to a fashionable tavern to see if I can find any of Dong Zhuo's officers to corrupt.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-15, 11:26 PM
Ah, when I say "Magic Shop" I mean more along the lines of "Offers Services". That's Why I used the term Practice in my Bio. Like, for a random example, an Accountant, she sells her services commercially. Now that you mentioned it, though, her shop is almost certainly at least partially owned by her family.

Hells, she can't even Make Magic Items (any more), where's what exactly is she going to sell, Item Wise? ...Probably not much, with the very possible exception of obvious, petty things like components, or the odd nicknack she picked up and no longer wants.

However, this does mean that it is likely should could get the occasional customer while she is in (though in this case she probably isn't doing much real work), and she is obviously in a position where people might occasionally try to sell her Magic Stuff they don't want.

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 12:00 PM
OOC:

Liu Chao: You need to propose a specific course of action for Augury, such as "I will try to look for Cao Ang in the Imperial Palace," and the Augury spell will tell you whether this is a good or bad idea.

Shanto: OK, I'll keep that in mind. Note however, that you won't be staying in Luoyang too long in game time.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 12:09 PM
OOC:
I see, in that case Augury should do fine. Fast-forward to the diviner's office?

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 12:13 PM
OOC:

Yep, go ahead, Liu Chao, and precisely state your queries. (Let's skip the NPC interaction.)

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 12:17 PM
"I would like the answer to this question first:

Would looking in Luoyang for the man I seek be a good idea?"

I'll mention Cao Ang if I have to, but if the spell doesn't require use of his name I'd rather not

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 12:29 PM
"That will be 85 gold, thank you very much!" After taking your money, the caster tosses his four magical dice into the air as he chants his magical phrases.

DM:

[roll0] DC 24

All four dice land with 6's face up. "Weal! Looks like that's a good choice!"

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 12:45 PM
Liu Chao nods, secretly elated. He deliberately tries to phrase his next question in a vague way, due to it's sensitive nature.

"My second question is this: Would visiting the Imperial Palace be a good idea if I wished to carry out my mission?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 12:51 PM
Again, with the 85 gold and dice tossing.

DM:

[roll0] DC 24

The dice come up all 1's. "Er.. that would be Woe. Makes sense, sneaking into the Imperial Palace is punishable by death you know."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 12:58 PM
Liu Chao shrugs.

"I never suggested sneaking into the palace. My intention was to try and seek an audience with the emperor."

"Well then, my third question. Would searching for my quarry amongst the common folk be advisable?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 01:00 PM
The caster looks at your clothes wrily and says, "Uh, huh, right. I'm sure you're nobility. Anyways, moving on..."

Another 85 gp and dice toss.

DM:

[roll0] DC 24

The dice come up 1, 1, 4, and 5.

"That means not relevant. Or that the gods declined to answer your question."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 01:04 PM
Liu Chao ponders a bit about this strange reply.

"My fourth question: Would it be advisable to search the residence of my former employer for signs of the man I seek?"

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 01:06 PM
More money and dice tossing.

DM:

[roll0] DC 24

Two 1's and two 6's. "Weal and woe. Potentially dangerous but potentially worthwhile endeavor."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 01:12 PM
"One final question: Would it help my cause to attempt to gain information from some of my former employer's guards?"

Whatever the result of the final question, Liu Chao thanks the man and hurries back to Shanto to share the results of his auguries.

"I believe this means that Cao Ang is in Dong Zhuo's manor. Our next problem is how to gain access."

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 01:13 PM
More money and dice tossing.

DM:

[roll0] DC 24
[roll1]

The dice come up 1, 2, 3, 5. "No particular effect, or the gods declined to answer."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-16, 09:47 PM
Shanto

"I agree. Attempting to enter Dong Zhuo's manner is obviously dangerous, but the results seem to indicate they we will either find him there or else learn where he can be found. Tell, me, are you at all familiar with the manner?" Shanto pause for only a moment before continuing. "Probably not.

"In any case, it would seem our course is clear. I am confident I can gain entry into the mansion, but, alas, subtly in these sort of things is not my greatest strength. It seems unlikely I'd be able to remain undetected."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-16, 10:13 PM
Liu Chao smiles.

"Trouble, I can handle."

"But perhaps we should try and find a way of gaining entry without causing trouble. Perhaps we should disguise ourselves as merchants? Or enquire as to whether Dong Zhuo is expecting any guests."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-17, 12:10 AM
Shanto

"Please, I am a Merchant, or come from a family of them at least. Even if Dong Zhuo was fulled by such a disguise - a possibility, I'll admit - he would never permit us free range of his house. No, what we will need is a distraction. You are with the Guard. What do you think the best way to start a riot is? We will want it close to his household, close enough that his men are drawn to it, be still fare enough that they don't instead bunker down behind his walls."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-17, 12:20 AM
"A riot, eh? I don't think we could start such a riot - Dong Zhuo is far too powerful for any of the commoners to think of threatening him."

"But I agree we have to find some way of distracting his guards."

"Starting a fire around Dong Zhuo's manor might work. If the fire threatens to encroach on the manor his men might assist in putting it out."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-17, 01:04 AM
Shanto

It was the most particular site. At the word 'fire', Shanto's face lit up. Way up. It showed excitement and glee and perhaps a fondness just a little unhealthy. It touched her voice as well, lending it a laughing, vibrant not quite echo. "A fire, you say? Why, I do believe you're on to something. Do you have any preferance, or shall start burning buildings at random? Oh oh oh! I know just the place! You see, there's this place not to far from here owned by the little Hobbit charlatan whose been entirely to personal with several of my business partners..."

Shanto takes her jobs seriously. After all, she has a reputation to maintain.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-17, 01:24 AM
Dear gods, what have I unleashed?

More than a little unsettled by the gnome woman's reaction, Liu Chao hurries to temper her enthusiasm.

"Well, I think burning buildings at random is probably a bad idea, considering it'd only get us arrested and do nothing to lure Dong Zhuo's guards out."

"We should probably burn the buildings near his home. If that happens to include the house of your halfling friend, why then I have no objection."

"If you have a delayed means of starting the fire, that might help too. It won't do us a lot of good to be seen starting the fire in the first place."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-17, 02:05 AM
Shanto

Shanto stared at him blankly for a moment. "I'm a Wizard. I could do something so simple as start a fire in half a dozen different ways, within the day, and then vanish in as many different ways. Just pick a building - a large one, I think - and it will burn, then we can hurry and sneak into the Mansion." Shanto paused for a moment from her thoughts of pyromania and considered the larger man.

"A bigger concern, how are you going to sneak in? Myself, the exquisite article of grace and beauty that I am, could enter the premise about as easily as I could start that fire. You, on the other hand, could prove to be a problem in that regard. And brilliant though I am, I'm build on slightly more sturdy than most Wizards are. I'm not breaking into a mansion without my mea - ah, that is, without you."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-17, 02:24 AM
"Don't worry about me, I am proficient in the arts of hiding and sneaking."

"And in the worst case scenario, I know a rare martial technique that allows me to turn invisible."

(OOC: +11 to hide and move silently :P)

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 08:45 AM
OOC:

Um... I think you guys aren't picturing the manor quite correctly. It's pretty huge (over 1000 ft on a side) and there aren't merchant/peasant houses nearby. Think about where the President lives (in the White House). It's just not practical to try to "start a fire nearby" and expect that to allow you to walk around unrestricted.

Liu Chao, you've seen the manor from the outside, but haven't ever been inside due to your lowly rank.

Dong Zhuo's the closest manor to the Imperial Palace, and the only other manor that adjoins it is Lu Bu's. It's surround on 2 sides by open streets where nobles walk on their way to the palace.

Also, use common sense on how large a fire you can start unnoticed, and how large a fire is necessary to actually travel across a fairly wide road (let's say 30 ft).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-17, 09:10 AM
OOC:
Hm, but surely starting a fire in the manor itself might cause enough of a commotion for us to slip in? After all we don't expect to be treated like invited guests, just distract the guards long enough for us to sneak in, and rely on stealth and guile after that.

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 09:34 AM
OOC:

Dong Zhuo's manor is like it's own little mini-castle.. he has soldiers at regular intervals on the walls surrounding the manor. If you start a fire within their sight, then you have combat with lots of archers right away. If you start a fire out of their sight, you'd have other guards and patrols to deal with. If you want, we can run the encounter with guards and all, but I'm generally not seeing a path to success here.

Again, Dong Zhuo's house is very close to the Imperial palace and is in the extremely rich and powerful part of the city. Starting a fire anywhere isn't going to be easy (imagine trying to start a fire in the Vatican City..)

lostlittlebear
2009-12-17, 09:39 AM
OOC:
Mm, I see. Thanks for telling us. I'll go think up somemore plans :D

lostlittlebear
2009-12-17, 09:41 AM
Pausing to consider the merits of the plan for a while, Liu Chao decides that they might need a less risky approach.

"Let us inquire a bit before we make any plans. Perhaps there are people we could impersonate who have access to Dong Zhuo's manor."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-17, 01:13 PM
Knowledge Nobility for what he said.
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 01:19 PM
Shanto, you recall seeing a good number of nobles and merchants enter into Dong Zhuo's mansion, and you recall their appearances reasonably well. However, most of them enter through the side doors, rather than the main entrance, and presumably are confined to a small area in Dong Zhuo's mansion.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-18, 04:09 PM
Shanto

"Hmm, I can probably sneak us in under a disguise. We'll a separate plan for escaping supervision and roam the manor as we please. I advise several strategically placed fires and, I'm thinking, either a mob or an explosion to adequately draw the guards attention."

lostlittlebear
2009-12-18, 06:34 PM
"If you can do that undetected, I'm all for it. I think we'll need some potions of invisibility."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-18, 10:59 PM
Dong is effectively the ruler, is he not? I ask because, if that is the case, he most likely spends a great deal of time at the palace, and it's probably not a good idea to attack his house when he and is personal guard are not around.

"I see, I see. But the invisibility brought on by most magic lasts only minutes, not nearly enough time to have our way with the mansion. Besides, if the staff is competent, they will raise the alarm the moment two guests go unattended." Shanto stopped speaking, deep in thought for minutes on end. Her muttering was constant and quiet, except when the other tried speaking, at which point she cut him off.

After quite some time of this, she nodded to herself, and spoke "Okay, here's the plan. We disguise you as a merchant and you enter through a side door, as lesser merchants often do. We do this when Dong Zhuo is at the palace, of course, or at very least when he isn't at in his mansion. that way his personal guards won't be there either.

"Now, once your in, you will either talk with a high-ranking servant or else wait for Dong Zhuo. That's when I strike" At this point Shanto's eyes began to glitter once more. "I will fly, invisible, over the mansion, and start as many fires in and around Dong Zhuo's Manor as I can, but especially on the walls. This will in turn provide you with the distraction you need to escape into the home unnoticed.

"After I finish setting the blazes, I will descend into the yard, invisible, where you will wait for me to join you. Any questions?"

lostlittlebear
2009-12-18, 11:59 PM
"Hm, it sounds like a plan."

"Just one question though. How will we ascertain if Dong Zhuo and his retinue are in his house? I suggest scrying, though hiding outside his front door will do. And do you think it would be prudent to hire some muscle to aid us?"

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-19, 01:29 AM
"Prudent but impractical. I wouldn't risk outsourcing this sort of work, both because of reliability and because of trust. Any additional help could just as easily sell us out." And more importantly, I'd have to pay for it. "As for your question, watching house is impractical, it is to large and we would be to conspicuous. Ideally, we will want to capitalize on a sunset or else an early night. Of course during the day, we need to purchase everything we will need. I shall require incineraries, myself."

Shanto looked at the man in that annoyed fashion she used whenever she was finished with a conversation. The only that said 'why are you still here', and that she had been showing her assistant a great deal.

So, with that, I'll be needed a bloody lot of Alchemist Fire, or else something similar. I would like to buy it in small quantities from as many places as possible, so it is difficult to tell I'm amassing a large supply of it. Of course, I can use magic if worse comes to worse, but this is preferable as I can use it without dispelling invisibility.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-19, 02:22 AM
Liu Chao simmers, but controls his anger. The gnome woman has the money after all.

"That still doesn't solve the problem of how to tell if Dong Zhuo if is at home. Give me a few hundred gold pieces and I'll help you find out his activities."

ghostaxe
2009-12-19, 10:13 AM
Shanto:

You know of a good many dealers of Alchemist's fire in the city, but they're not all located in the same area. As the city is pretty big, you estimate that it would take you a good 3 hours to buy from 5 or more different sources sprinkled about the city (assuming buying no more than 4 at each). Or, if you want to more buy more than that, it'll take you roughly 30 minutes for each additional source that you travel to. (Let's say there are [roll0] different dealers that you know of.)

Liu Chao:

It occurs to you that it may be a good idea to get a rough map of the insides of Dong Zhuo's mansion before you set out. Details probably won't be easily available, but a general map might be useful for planning.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-19, 11:24 AM
OOC:
Thanks for the heads up, will work on it once Shanto gives me money.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-19, 08:43 PM
Shanto leveled her gaze at the man, her eyes screaming 'what, you need more money!?', but after a few moments she relented and offered Liu Chao what he needed.

That will be fine. That'll be...400g for 20 flasks of Alchemist's Fire, right?

Also, LLB, please say how much you're actually taking, so I can mark it on my sheet.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-19, 11:26 PM
Liu Chao takes 1000 gp from the gnome woman.

"Don't worry," he chuckles, "I PROBABLY won't spend it all."

Liu Chao tries to recall if any of his colleagues has been inside Dong Zhuo's manor before, and if there are any local agencies that offer discreet investigation services.

Knowledge (local):[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-20, 10:17 AM
Shanto:

That is correct, 400 gp. (I hope you have a better plan than throwing them 1 at a time for 20 rounds!)

Liu Chao:

You vaguely recall talking a couple guys at the bar once about the opulence of the insides of Dong Zhuo's mansion.. it didn't seem important at the time though, so you didn't bother to remember their names or addresses. Gather Information roll if you want to try to find them.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-20, 10:55 AM
Gather Information: [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-20, 10:57 AM
You try to follow up on a lead after talking to some of the barkeeps at bars you frequent, but it turned out to be a dead end, wasting you [roll0] hours.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-20, 12:18 PM
(OOC: Can I try again?)

ghostaxe
2009-12-20, 12:19 PM
(Yes, you can always choose to try again on Gather Info. Please describe what kind of info you're trying to gather, and so I can apply appropriate circumstance penalties/bonuses.)

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-20, 01:19 PM
I don't see why not. Both Fly and Invisibility last more then long enough to do so, and Dropping Flasks of X shouldn't drop me out of invisibility.

So, err, I'm open to suggestions?

lostlittlebear
2009-12-20, 07:34 PM
Liu Chao tries to track down his old contacts again.

Gather information: [roll0]

(OOC: Any word on the local enforcement agencies?)

ghostaxe
2009-12-20, 11:41 PM
OOC:

Oy, I'll throw you guys a couple hints. Keep in mind these aren't the only available options. (Try to figure more things out on your own though.)

Liu Chao: You try to follow up on the leads of the interior decorators (maybe?) once more, but decide you've failed after wasting 1d4+1 hours. You doubt that the low-ranking law enforcement officers that you know would be privy to the details of Dong Zhuo's manor.

While wandering, you recall talking to a freelance cleric at a bar once about how he casted Divine Insight (Spell Compendium) to improve his Appraisal abilities. From talking to him, it sounded like Divine Insight could allow anyone to be quite good at any skill, albeit for a limited time. You briefly wonder if you could find potions of it.

Shanto: (for some reason or other it won't let me type your name normally...)

You suddenly recall that your Fireball spell will set flammables on fire, such as flasks of Alchemists fire pre-placed strategically.
You also surmise that it would be safer to set a large area on fire at once, because if you start throwing Alchemist's fire one at a time for 2 whole minutes, it's likely that some high-power retainer at Dong Zhuo's mansion will come over and kick your ass.

OOC:

Hm... for some reason or other, GiTP doesn't like me typing Kaosubaloo's character name without Bolding. It throws me a 403 Forbidden error when I try to do it.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-21, 12:04 AM
OOC:
We're getting there, we're getting there :)

Liu Chao decides to get a potion of Divine Insight, as well as a potion of Eagle's Splendour. Anything would be better than wasting more time again.

ghostaxe
2009-12-21, 10:01 AM
Liu Chao:

Eagle's Splendor lasts 1 minute/lvl, not long enough for the 2 hours minimum it takes you to do a gather information, and consequently will not help.

You find a vendor of Potions of Divine Insight (300 gp each, as typical for a 2nd level spell).

lostlittlebear
2009-12-21, 11:13 AM
OOC:
Hm, so the skill bonus needs to last the whole way eh?

Liu Chao buys a potion of Divine Insight, downing it before he makes another attempt at searching.

Gather information: [roll0]

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-21, 10:27 PM
...Fine, I guess I'll just go out and by a scroll or wand or or something. In fact, since I picked up those flasks, that's four shops I've already been to - any of them have (cheap) swag I could use to set off the flasks all at once?

ghostaxe
2009-12-22, 11:58 AM
Liu Chao:

You manage to finally track down the two men, after another [roll0] hours. They're both dwarves, who have fallen on hard times.
"Dong Zhuo's manor, eh? Yeah, we helped build part of it. Mostly some reconstruction in the servant quarters. I kind of remember the layout, but I don't know if it's smart to say anything about it. I mean, Dong Zhuo *is* the most powerful lord of the realm, you know. Of course, if you motivate us properly.."

Shanto:

You buy yourself a keg of high alcohol-content wine; that should do for now. You a large keg (~20 gallons) for 20gp.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-22, 12:20 PM
"I'm no nobleman with vast riches at my fingertips, but I am prepared to pay for good information. Let's say, a hundred gold pieces."

Rule one of bargaining: Always start low...

ghostaxe
2009-12-22, 12:23 PM
One of the dwarves is shocked and starts nodding and taking your money when the other abruptly stops him. "Sir, that is a fine start, but only enough for either my friend or me. If you could double that, of course..."

OOC:

Remember that the average person only makes about 35 gold per year.
You can either just pay 200 gp or you can Diplomacy pay a little less.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-22, 12:36 PM
OOC:
Well, considering that this is information that could get them executed, I thought 100 gp was a pretty low price to ask.

Perhaps they might be even more desperate than I thought. I need to reassess the situation...

Liu Chao shrugs. "It took me 4 years to save up so much, and keep in mind I have no guarantee that you'll keep your mouths shut. Let us be reasonable. 100 gold pieces is a fair price."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

lostlittlebear
2009-12-22, 12:37 PM
Bluff (if needed): [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-22, 12:45 PM
The dwarf raises an eyebrow and says, "But you're buying more than information. You're buying our silence as well. If you wish only to buy the information and not the silence, I suppose 100 gp is enough. But I wouldn't recommend that. You look pretty well off to me.. that sword of yours.. that's got to be worth a good 300 gold pieces, no? If you don't have the liquid cash, we'll take that as payment."

OOC:

I get a "bad sheet id" when I try to look up your character sheet, Liu Chao. Could you please provide an updated link? Thanks!

lostlittlebear
2009-12-22, 01:04 PM
OOC:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169601

Liu Chao pauses for a moment, then laughs.

"Alright, I know when I'm beaten."

He hands over 200 gp.

"Just remember that should I find out that you betrayed me, no force under the sky will prevent me from hunting you down."

ghostaxe
2009-12-22, 01:12 PM
"You have our word," say the dwarves, as they start drawing on the parchment. They produce the following map a short while later.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Dong%20Zhuo%20Mansion%20(Rough).jpg

"This is the best we can do from memory. This is what the insides of Dong Zhuo's mansions look like. Unfortunately, we cannot ascertain the what purpose of the builds on the left are for, and did not see the south-eastern part of the mansion."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-22, 01:20 PM
I'll be honest, A Keg of Wine is not what I had in mind when I said swag. That said, I have no complaints. Besides, what kind of Gnome complains out alcohol? Not the sort that I'm playing I'll tell you.

There is also one other thing I had forgotten until now - A scroll of Disguise self. Two, actually. I'm just going to go ahead and pay and add those to my sheet, I'm pretty sure I've taken less time then mister gather-&-Fail anyway.

Anyway, we just need to pick a time (when Dong isn't home), and a building to burn, then we should be good.

ghostaxe
2009-12-22, 01:25 PM
The time is Day 14, 8pm when Liu Chao finally finds his contacts and finishes negotiating for the map.

lostlittlebear
2009-12-22, 08:07 PM
OOC:
Hey, you sent the meatshield to negotiate, whaddya expect?!:smallfrown: Though I admit the negotiations could have gone a lot better heeh

Liu Chao returns to Shanto, handing her the map.

"Any luck figuring out how to disguise ourselves?"

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-23, 02:13 AM
"Of course simpleton! What do you take me for!? We need only know when to move, and I can begin the assault!"

lostlittlebear
2009-12-23, 03:35 AM
"That's simple. Dong Zhuo never moves anywhere without a large retinue. If we waiit along Prosperity Street we should easil be able to determine when he has left the house."

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-23, 11:08 PM
So...Shall we progress to that? Either we flonder for another day, or we go tonight, right?

lostlittlebear
2009-12-24, 01:50 AM
Progressing sounds fine to me.

ghostaxe
2009-12-27, 02:53 PM
OOC:

Hi guys. Sorry, been in my parent's house in Kansas for Christmas, and didn't get too much internet time. It'll still be spotty until about January 2nd, but I'll try to update when I can.

Watching the manor as inconspicuously as you can on Prosperity Street, you need Dong Zhuo's retinue head to the palace around 9 am on Day 15.

What do you do?

lostlittlebear
2009-12-27, 07:34 PM
Liu Chao turns to Shanto.

"Alright, woman. What do we do now?"

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-27, 10:49 PM
What day did we start on? Shanto, being a Wizard but also Being Shanto, will have made sure to get enough sleep every night to change her spells. Furthermore, depending on how long we were waiting, She may have taken the oppertunity to scribe at least one scroll as well.

Unless you say otherwise, I'll assume that we started the stakeout of day 14.

ghostaxe
2009-12-28, 12:09 PM
OOC:

You got your job from Cao Cao on the night of Day 13. You spent all of Day 14 gathering info and buying stuff. Dong Zhuo returned to his manor by the time you were done. You have your option of what to do with the hours from 9pm to 9am, the time during which Dong Zhuo's in his home. He leaves his home for the palace on 9am of Day 15.

Kaosubaloo
2009-12-28, 04:13 PM
That's about what I thought, and what I had assumed, I just wanted to make sure I had it right, really.

Oh, and as an aside, could I use Fiery burst to light the flasks? It would be nice if I didn't need to consume a Fireball...

Spells Prepared:
0 - Ray of Frost
Detect magic
Mage Hand
Mage Hand
Light
1 - Ray of Flame
Tenser's Floating Disk
Alarm
Mage Armour
Silent Image
2 - Scorching Ray
Knock
Invisibility
Invisibility
3 - Fireball
Fly
Fly

lostlittlebear
2009-12-31, 12:04 PM
OOC:
新年快乐!Or, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Looking forward to a fresh year of great gaming with you wonderful people :)

lostlittlebear
2010-01-03, 09:55 PM
OOC:
I think we're waiting from Shanto to take the lead, right? Just checking cause I don't want to hold everyone up.

Kaosubaloo
2010-01-04, 01:16 AM
Are we? If so, I'll have something up tomorrow.

ghostaxe
2010-01-04, 10:41 AM
OOC:

Hi guys, I'm back from a lengthy stay at my parent's house. Dong Zhuo has just left his building, and you have the rough map, so tell me your approach, and I'll try to do a "fog of war" detailed map as best I can.

Shanto--I'll rule that you can set flammables on fire with a Fiery Burst, within its 10 feet diameter of effect.

Kaosubaloo
2010-01-04, 09:49 PM
Shanto quickly urged her companion more more or less out of site, and certainly hidden from the walls of the mansion, before affixing to him a spell of Disguise.

You know, I just realized that disguise self can't be cast on someone other them myself. Can I swap my scrolls for potions?

With the spell in place, Shanto instantly lost patience. "Well, what are you waiting for? Shoo shoo shoo! that won't last very long. We will meet outside the dungeon. It seems the best place to look!"

The moment her meatshield is out of sight, Shanto takes to the air (fly spell) and orients herself for a good vantage on the Mansion. She plans to burn the library, but will first see if she can spot any glaringly obvious targets (...besides a library). Besides this, she is also obviously trying to get an idea of the layout of the rest of the mansion.

Edit: I was just wondering what time frame the other party is on right now in comparison to us. I ask because I notice that they are also about to invade this mansion, and I can't help but think our attack will have consequences for them.

ghostaxe
2010-01-04, 10:34 PM
OOC:

You can assume you had a little time in the morning to purchase new things. Note that the mansion is quite large, and it's very unlikely that you can cover the entire area in under a minute. Also, I assume you want to be invisible? Please clearly state spells you cast, or else I'll have to assume you didn't cast them.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Duos%20Mansion%20(Detailed)_r1.jpg

shanto is #1, Liu Chao is #2. You both start in the southwest corner to see Dong Zhuo off. The servants quarters are to the east. Please state where and when you cast what spells, and how (if at all) you plan to be working together.

shanto, please describe your flight pattern and height.