PDA

View Full Version : What happens if i try and install a game on multiple computers?

Stormthorn
2009-12-03, 01:51 AM
The same game from the same disk using the same CD key, ideally. I dont want to spend a buncha time trying it if it wont work.

SparkMandriller
2009-12-03, 01:59 AM
Kinda depends on the game, bro.

toasty
2009-12-03, 02:05 AM
It depends on the game.

Most games nowadays will allow you to install a game on as many computers as you desire, but will not allow you to play the game without the CD in the drive.

Some games like those with SecuROM stuff might limit the number of computers you can install a game on and stuff, but I do think those are still the minority.

Stormthorn
2009-12-03, 02:09 AM
It depends on the game.

Most games nowadays will allow you to install a game on as many computers as you desire, but will not allow you to play the game without the CD in the drive.

Some games like those with SecuROM stuff might limit the number of computers you can install a game on and stuff, but I do think those are still the minority.

Its Sins of a Solar Empire. And i dont think i need the CD in to play it.

Let me check.
Nope.

Im tired of playing it on my laptop, since it overheats and wrapping it in plastic and setting it in an ice bath is rather labor intensive. Which is why i dont play that game that i love nearly enough.

Now, getting the Downloaded expansion onto the other PC might well be impossible.

Grumman
2009-12-03, 03:30 AM
IIRC, the creators of SoaSE specifically chose not to use any DRM at all. So it should work fine.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-12-03, 03:33 AM
If you're playing multiplayer, the CD-key will be tracked so that duplicates of the game cannot be played online.

factotum
2009-12-03, 03:39 AM
Im tired of playing it on my laptop, since it overheats and wrapping it in plastic and setting it in an ice bath is rather labor intensive. Which is why i dont play that game that i love nearly enough.

I don't see any issue whatsoever with installing it on a different machine. However, if SoaSE (or any other game for that matter) is actually causing your laptop to overheat then I think you have a problem with your laptop--the cooling solution in a typical laptop is designed to keep it at a working temperature under full load. Might be a very warm working temperature, but working nonetheless!

Triaxx
2009-12-03, 06:39 AM
Yeah, except for the most uber restrictive DRM's you can install as many places as you like.

Celesyne
2009-12-03, 08:32 AM
The Makers of Sins wrote into their EULA that they allow the user to install on multiple computers, and as many as they would like. You can even use all of those same copies with the same CD-Key to play over a LAN. however, the CD-Key is used to create your account for updates to the game, as well as your user account for multiplayer.

So, you can use it for as many PCs as you wish, but only 1 can be online with the multiplayer, and only one can be logged into your Impulse account for updates at a time. Which is not really an issue at all. I really wish more companies would follow their style.

Triaxx
2009-12-03, 12:00 PM
Most companies are too concerned with protecting profits to see that alienating customers will eventually hurt their profits. Stardock was wise enough to see that the more people that will share the game will make more people want to buy it.

warty goblin
2009-12-03, 12:16 PM

Let me check.
Nope.

Now, getting the Downloaded expansion onto the other PC might well be impossible.

You can install Sins on pretty much as many computers as you like. There is a limit IIRC, but it's very high and really only pops up if your serial number is used to register the game on a whole bunch of computers in a very short timespan- which would make it look like a pirated copy. Certainly there's no worries installing it on two different computers.

As to getting Entrenchment onto a non-internet able computer, it's doable, although a bit tricky. Read the instructions here (http://www.impulsedriven.com/help/intro.htm), but do note if you already own Entrenchment, you don't need to rebuy it. I tried moving it to a computer without internent last spring, and wasn't able to get it to work, although all it took to activate Entrenchment was connecting to the internet for about two minutes. So if you're like me, and don't usually connect your PC to the web, but can, it's not really a problem.

Stormthorn
2009-12-03, 12:57 PM
I think you have a problem with your laptop

Oh yes, it has a problem.

But its outside of warranty so its ice baths for me.

Also, i woke up this morning and remembered that Stardock lets me put my game on as many computers as i want. I really dont know why i started this thread late last night after a vew shots of vodka.

Poison_Fish
2009-12-03, 01:22 PM
I don't see any issue whatsoever with installing it on a different machine. However, if SoaSE (or any other game for that matter) is actually causing your laptop to overheat then I think you have a problem with your laptop--the cooling solution in a typical laptop is designed to keep it at a working temperature under full load. Might be a very warm working temperature, but working nonetheless!

yes.. working.. (http://gadgets.boingboing.net/20090130.jpg)

Gamerlord
2009-12-03, 03:20 PM
Warcraft 3, as of a few patches in the past, no longer needs a CD, also, to hijack the thread, does Starcraft and Diablo 2 need a CD in the computer to play?

Douglas
2009-12-03, 03:25 PM
If you apply the latest patch and copy a major data file from the CD to your hard drive (details are in the patch notes), Starcraft no longer needs a CD in the drive.

I have no idea about Diablo 2.

Poison_Fish
2009-12-03, 04:01 PM
Diablo 2 no longer requires a CD in the drive either.

Gamerlord
2009-12-03, 04:31 PM
Sweet, just need to find all the discs, install them on to all my friends computers, get the latest patch, and then BAM! We can all have fun playing Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

warty goblin
2009-12-03, 04:34 PM
Sweet, just need to find all the discs, install them on to all my friends computers, get the latest patch, and then BAM! We can all have fun playing Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

You are probably still required to have a valid, unique serial number for each copy of the game to play online, even if you don't need the disk in the drive.

Douglas
2009-12-03, 04:37 PM
You are probably still required to have a valid, unique serial number for each copy of the game to play online, even if you don't need the disk in the drive.
For playing over the Internet using Battle Net (or whatever system the company provides for games made by other companies) yes, but if you just want to play with each other over a network it doesn't matter.

Gamerlord
2009-12-03, 05:07 PM
Just play LAN. Simple.

warty goblin
2009-12-03, 05:23 PM
For playing over the Internet using Battle Net (or whatever system the company provides for games made by other companies) yes, but if you just want to play with each other over a network it doesn't matter.

That I think also depends. I know that some games require more than one copy to LAN- Company of Heroes I believe is this way. I don't know Blizzard's policy, but it's not a guarantee.

Gamerlord
2009-12-03, 05:31 PM
I've played WC3:FT over LAN using the same copy, I'm guessing they have the same policy for everything else.