PDA

View Full Version : Kaorti Resin Weapons help. Because Crit Happens.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-03, 06:36 AM
Premise:

I'm currently working on a artifact weapon for my players, that they can acquire through a long quest (retrieve ancient ruins, bargain with outsiders and so on).

Since they will swear for it, I want to make it the Big Damn Sword.

For the Fluff, it will be something from the Wind Dukes. I want to create an ancient Wind Duke called the Windseeker, and create his ubersword as shattered fightinh Miska. The name of the sword, those who understood the quote will guess it. Yes, a Wind-kissed blade :smallwink:

The Crunch.. I found in Dragon magazine a sword able to reform even if shattered (and even disjoined because able to regain power from its non-magical pieces), that grants fast healing to the bearer and other things.

Point is, I wanted it STRONG. Must be a sword both for fluff and players tastes so i was thinking to maximize both crit range and crit multiplier. (18-20/x4, without player intervention).

Seeing the Kaorti Resin article in woct site, a very special material, you can find:

Making magical versions of kaorti items is possible. The item maker must use resin it has excreted itself, and also must have the appropriate craft skill and item creations feats. Kaorti resin is particularly suitable for bladed weapons such as daggers and swords. Any resin item must be made as a masterwork item. A resin piercing or slashing weapon has a critical multiple of x4. A suit of resin armor works like masterwork armor, but also protects a kaorti wearer from the effects of the Material Plane.

I can refluff it in an ancient material nowadays lost, take the artifact weapon rules above, take a Great Scimitar and make it d10, 18-20/x4, one hand (so you can wield it 1H, 2H, is finessable by dervish, slashing flurry by a fighter and a lot of other things).

My question is: seeing that the ribbon dagger in fiend folio, an "official" kaorti weapon has a crit multiplier of x4, but only a 20 crit range, does the kaorti resin increases the crit multiplier LOWERING the crit range, or leaving it as-is?

So, a longsword (PH: d8, 19-20/x2) made by Kaorti resin would be d8, 19-20/x4 or d8, 20/x4?

What do you think playgrounders? Thank you in advance.

Innis Cabal
2009-12-03, 06:42 AM
I'd assume the ribbon is already made out of the stuff.

hamishspence
2009-12-03, 06:44 AM
options-

the ribbon dagger, before being made of resin- wasn't a normal dagger- it was inferior, a knife- with x2 crit, but a range of 20, not 19/20. This would allow for high crit ranges on other weapons.

Alternatively, there is the "all crit ranges reduce to 20" approach.

Cyclocone
2009-12-03, 06:49 AM
It doesn't change the threat range, that's why they decided to charge you EWP for it.

dsmiles
2009-12-03, 07:29 AM
My question is: seeing that the ribbon dagger in fiend folio, an "official" kaorti weapon has a crit multiplier of x4, but only a 20 crit range, does the kaorti resin increases the crit multiplier LOWERING the crit range, or leaving it as-is?

So, a longsword (PH: d8, 19-20/x2) made by Kaorti resin would be d8, 19-20/x4 or d8, 20/x4?

I think that the ribbon dagger is a special case as far as crit range goes. If you made a longsword out of Kaorti resin it would most likely be 19-20/x4, because it does not specifically state that it changes the crit range, just the multiplier.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-03, 09:20 AM
It doesn't change the threat range, that's why they decided to charge you EWP for it.

Cyclocone, you caught me: I didn't show all the data

Weapons made from kaorti resin require the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to wield, and each must be specific to each ribbon weapon. For example, if the character acquires one of the ribbon longswords of wounding wielded by the Guardians of Gloom and Despair, she must take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (longsword) feat. If she has acquired a ribbon dagger also, she must take the dagger version of the feat as well.

I think that the ribbon dagger is a special case as far as crit range goes. If you made a longsword out of Kaorti resin it would most likely be 19-20/x4, because it does not specifically state that it changes the crit range, just the multiplier.

Good points. Actually, mergeing Cyclocone and dsmiles answer, I could think that the Wind-Kissed Blade is born. Waiting for other people answer, but thanks, gentlemen.

Cyclocone
2009-12-03, 11:06 AM
Since you need EWP anyway you might as well take an exotic weapon -like the wonderfull Elven Courtblade.
That would give you something like 1d10 18-20/x4 2 Handed and weapon finesse +power attack.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-03, 11:17 AM
Since you need EWP anyway you might as well take an exotic weapon -like the wonderfull Elven Courtblade.
That would give you something like 1d10 18-20/x4 2 Handed and weapon finesse +power attack.

This is a great idea (even if Courtblade is TH). I only fear that you could need two EWP in this way.

Thanks to Pelor, I use weapon categories and the sword wielders are proficient with all exotic swords from level 1.

Thank you so much, Cyclocone! :smallsmile:

Time to add Artisan Craftsman traits from Dragon Magazine.

Just another thing: I missed hardness and HP too, or they assume are like Iron?

Ormagoden
2009-12-03, 03:43 PM
You're the DM right?

Who says it has to be Kaorti resin?
Who says it has to follow the rules for Kaorti resin?

Make it be out of whatever material you want it to be story wise and give it the stats you want.

The material is long lost and barring any wishes shouldn't appear in your world again.

The players have some awesome weapon and your story is intact.

For instance in my world the worshipers of a certain god use a sort of greatsword with a hooked end. It has the following stats.
2d6 damage 18-20/x2 crit Because that's what I want it to have.

In the hands of clerics of the crit range increases by one. Everyone else just treats it as a greatsword.

toddex
2009-12-03, 03:50 PM
It better have a 20% chance to cast chain lightning on every attack!

herrhauptmann
2009-12-03, 06:21 PM
Kaiyan, it's an artifact and you're the DM. You can make it do/be whatever you want. So if story calls for an origami artifact, you can make a PAPER sword with those above stats.
Characters aren't supposed to be able to create artifacts, so creation rules for them aren't written in the same manner as they are for magic weapons. I believe the DMG just says "Be careful about introducing an artifact, because it may overpower one character"

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-04, 03:22 AM
It better have a 20% chance to cast chain lightning on every attack!

I think I can work on it too.. looking for special powers in DMG. But you definitively deserve a Cookie made with Cooking at max rank. :smallwink:

Kaiyan, it's an artifact and you're the DM. You can make it do/be whatever you want. So if story calls for an origami artifact, you can make a PAPER sword with those above stats.
Characters aren't supposed to be able to create artifacts, so creation rules for them aren't written in the same manner as they are for magic weapons. I believe the DMG just says "Be careful about introducing an artifact, because it may overpower one character"

You're the DM right?

Who says it has to be Kaorti resin?
Who says it has to follow the rules for Kaorti resin?

Make it be out of whatever material you want it to be story wise and give it the stats you want.

The material is long lost and barring any wishes shouldn't appear in your world again.

The players have some awesome weapon and your story is intact.

For instance in my world the worshipers of a certain god use a sort of greatsword with a hooked end. It has the following stats.
2d6 damage 18-20/x2 crit Because that's what I want it to have.

In the hands of clerics of the crit range increases by one. Everyone else just treats it as a greatsword.

You both have a point of view that I completely respect, but does not fit well with my gamestyle. This is because of two things:

1) I like to "play" with the system and see what I can build within the rules bounds.

2) The players are looking for netherscrolls too. If one day they will be able to craft artifacts, I have to be sure of give them all the bounds and information. One thing is a refluff or a limitation made for the story or the game balance, one thing is eyeballing. It can work, but on the long road could cause troubles.

Of course, I don't consider my gamestyle the only one "right". My old DM had the same point of view of yours and I always had fun.

I consider your advice (and thank you for it) , simply does not fit with my gamestyle.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-04, 04:54 AM
Ribbon Dagger =/= Kaorti Resin Dagger, it's a completely different weapon, as an otherwise typical dagger would not gain +2 to disarm due to being made from the resin.

Keep in mind however that any Kaorti Resin weapon is considered an exotic weapon, and would require the appropriate EWP feat. You could give it the Skillful property from Complete Arcane, which would grant any wielder proficiency and even increase a low BAB to 3/4 their level with it. I'd also give it the Aptitude property from Tome of Battle, so any weapon-specific feat they already have (Weapon Focus, Specialization, Improved Crit, etc.) would apply to this weapon as though it were the one chosen for that feat.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-04, 11:52 AM
Ribbon Dagger =/= Kaorti Resin Dagger, it's a completely different weapon, as an otherwise typical dagger would not gain +2 to disarm due to being made from the resin.

This is the final argumentation. Thank you.

Keep in mind however that any Kaorti Resin weapon is considered an exotic weapon, and would require the appropriate EWP feat. You could give it the Skillful property from Complete Arcane, which would grant any wielder proficiency and even increase a low BAB to 3/4 their level with it. I'd also give it the Aptitude property from Tome of Battle, so any weapon-specific feat they already have (Weapon Focus, Specialization, Improved Crit, etc.) would apply to this weapon as though it were the one chosen for that feat.

Since the power level of the campaign is not so high, and the more likely wielder will be the Fighter// Knight / Warblade, that is specialized in Swords and has ful BAB, I think I can get rid of these enhancements.

On the same line, the thing is worth a feat, because the girl, she's a charger. I think she can have a blast with this sword.

'til now, it's something like this:

Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker

This weapon spread the blood of demon princes in the Burning Fields of Pesh.

d10, 18-20/x4, Piercing or Slashing, TH for medium creature.

Superior Crafting: Thunderfury is exceptionally sharp. Has a +1 to damages that stack with its enhancement bonus. Moreover, its superior workmanship make it perfectly balanced, allowing a further +1 to the dodge bonus AC when fighting defensively, and a +4 bonus vs disarm attempts. Its hardness is 29 and its HP are 85 (magic bonus included). You cannot rust Thunderfury.

Thunderfury has these special enhancements:

Strenght of the Tempest: Thunderfury has a +5 enhancement.

Will of the Windseeker: Thunderury Grants fast healing 8 to its wielder when held.

Sharpened Zephir: thunderfury is Keen.

Fast as the Lightning: Thunderfury is a Speed Weapon.

Deflecting Winds: Thunderfury is a Defending weapon

Rise, Thunderfury: You can command thunderfury as a Dancing Sword.

Relentless Storm: the lighting Thunderfury emanates are made to harm even demons. Thunderfury bestow +4d6 damages on each it. Even godly immunities cannot resist this damage.

Call of the Thunder: If Thunderfury is somewhat destroyed or disjoined, it breaks into pieces. Pieces are non magical, even if emits pleasant, whistling sounds if exposed to wind, and fall like feathers on the ground. Exposing Thunderfury to a powerful source linked to its nature (the whirlwind of an air monolith, the breath of a blue wyrm) restores it fully. There no known means to fully destroy the hand of the Windseeker.

I followed the rules RAW, Is not fully optimized, but the base stats are enough to make it rock in the hand of an able wielder. And in this way i don't completely outshine party crafter, making at the same time the quest for the sword worthy.

I have to decide if the ego of the windseeker is still there.. could be annoying or fun, but could lead to special qualities like spread lightning bolts all around..:smallconfused: