PDA

View Full Version : Spell Thief

quiet1mi
2009-12-03, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know if there exist a Spell thief handbook?

Me and my friends are doing a Tier 4 campaign... This gives me the opportunity to pick up the spell thief, a class I have always loved.

Anyway, if there is no handbook, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for a spell thief.

dougch
2009-12-03, 09:38 AM
a spellthief is only as good as the spells he prepares, as all built to counter classes he does a good job failing trying to actually do what his description says he does

Edwin
2009-12-03, 09:40 AM
a spellthief is only as good as the spells he prepares, as all built to counter classes he does a good job failing trying to actually do what his description says he does

Debatably.

I googled the handbook, but it appears it is no longer archived. So no handbook I am afraid. :smallfrown:

Person_Man
2009-12-03, 09:48 AM
Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299).

The Spellthief (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a) is difficult to use. But once you know what you're doing, it's a great class. The most important tip is to make sure that you play in a party with other casters, so that you can "borrow" their spells and use them as needed. Ideally, you want a Dragonfire Adept and a Warlock, because you can steal their Invocations (Spell-Like abilities) without consuming any resources, since they can use them an infinite number of times. Think of yourself as Peter Petrelli - you're only as good as the last Hero that you've borrowed a power from.

kamikasei
2009-12-03, 09:48 AM
Fax wrote a guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299).

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-03, 09:50 AM
no hand book

General advise...

Some people(i don't agree with) say to take 1 level of spell theif then the rest sorcerer... with the master spell theif feat..

Irrigardless of build take master spell thief. Its a god send.

Also I highly recommend a wisper gnome for race... there 1/day silence is nice.

I've seen spell thieves do quite well in tier 2-3 games... they take a little bit to play smart...

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-03, 11:43 AM
no hand book

General advise...

Some people(i don't agree with) say to take 1 level of spell theif then the rest sorcerer... with the master spell theif feat..

Irrigardless of build take master spell thief. Its a god send.

Also I highly recommend a wisper gnome for race... there 1/day silence is nice.

I've seen spell thieves do quite well in tier 2-3 games... they take a little bit to play smart...

To this end, if you have access to Complete Mage, I recommend taking a looksy at Unseen Seer, which works wonderfully with a Wizard (or Sorcerer) skillgish. Admittedly, Master Spellthief doesn't work as intended. (RAW, as a Wizard 4/Spellthief 1/Unseen Seer 3, you can still 4th level spells, but can only hold up to 1 level of spells at a time...)

Admittedly, this is a little outside of what your shooting for, since most casters I can think of to combo the Spellthief with are at least tier 3.