PDA

View Full Version : The Doctor v. The Ori

Meshakhad
2009-12-03, 03:18 PM
Try this one on for size!

By the way, the circumstance is that the Ori have employed the Prior's plague to wipe out an inhabited planet. Unfortunately, the Doctor found out, and is now pissed.

golentan
2009-12-03, 03:26 PM
The doctor. His whole shtick is "righteous punishment meted out to those who are more powerful than I through a combination of know how, dedication, and luck." Given that he's beaten down "gods" and "demons" before (with universe ending powers, no less) I don't think the Ori really have much of a shot.

chiasaur11
2009-12-03, 04:03 PM
"But you have no weapons! No defenses! No plan!"

"Yeah! And doesn't that scare you to death?"

Doctor in a walk.

Jallorn
2009-12-03, 08:49 PM
Seeing as there exists a device that destroys ascended beings creatable, The Doctor, otherwise I'd have to say, sadly, the Ori.

kpenguin
2009-12-04, 03:43 AM
The Doctor.

Seriously, is there a question?

EDIT: Assuming, of course, we're talking about the Doctor from Doctor Who. I suppose the Doctor from the Authority would have problems fighting the Ori.

charl
2009-12-04, 08:54 AM
The Doctor.

Seriously, is there a question?

EDIT: Assuming, of course, we're talking about the Doctor from Doctor Who. I suppose the Doctor from the Authority would have problems fighting the Ori.

The Authority Doctor is actually more powerful than the Doctor Doctor. The first one is basically omnipotent.

BRC
2009-12-04, 09:08 AM
The Authority Doctor is actually more powerful than the Doctor Doctor. The first one is basically omnipotent.
But not nearly as awesome.

charl
2009-12-04, 09:24 AM
But not nearly as awesome.

Nope. Not even close. The Authority Doctor is pretty pathetic for being that powerful.

Athaniar
2009-12-04, 09:56 AM
But what if we're talking about the EMH Doctor from Voyager?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-04, 11:33 AM
Who is currently moonlighting as a representative of the IOA.

Meshakhad
2009-12-04, 12:52 PM
OK, then, how would the Doctor defeat the Ori?

I'm thinking he knocks together another Sangraal out of domestic appliances and chicken wire.

Krrth
2009-12-04, 01:16 PM
OK, then, how would the Doctor defeat the Ori?

I'm thinking he knocks together another Sangraal out of domestic appliances and chicken wire.

Duct Tape. Don't forget the Duct tape.

zyphyr
2009-12-05, 12:36 PM
Duct Tape. Don't forget the Duct tape.

He will outsource the construction to McGyver while spending the time running around. Lots of running.

charl
2009-12-05, 01:21 PM
He'll just wave his sonic screwdriver around a bit, and change the batteries on a cell phone, and all will be well.

golentan
2009-12-05, 02:36 PM
I think he would trick the Ori into destroying themselves in a karmic death. He tells them they get a second chance, they respond by shouting "Kill the Unbeliever!" but because of how the tardis is set up have to go in in physical form. They get cut off from being able to return to ascended form, and find out that the air in the tardis was contaminated by the plague (with the companion somewhere else). The Doctor, of course, is immune because of his time lord physiology. He gets off a one liner: check and mate.

Or he "Helps them live forever," if he's feeling vindictive today. I still don't know how he managed that one originally, but daaaaaaamn.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-05, 02:48 PM
He will outsource the construction to McGyver while spending the time running around. Lots of running.

But McGyver is busy at his desk in the Pentagon...

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-05, 04:55 PM

Also, he's really let himself go.

---

Since to Doctor is overwhelmingly favored, lets try a more difficult one.

The Master vs. (original) SG-1.

Eddums
2009-12-06, 06:35 PM

In fairness, the Doctor has made gadgets (literally) on the run before.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-06, 06:38 PM
Also, he's really let himself go.

---

Since to Doctor is overwhelmingly favored, lets try a more difficult one.

The Master vs. (original) SG-1.

McGyver O'Niel would beat him with an old sock inappropriate levels of sarcasm.

thorgrim29
2009-12-06, 08:34 PM
M. Here come... The Drums!

O'Neill: Ooo, where, I love drums

charl
2009-12-06, 08:39 PM
M. Here come... The Drums!

O'Neill: Ooo, where, I love drums

Teal'c: Indeed.

Jallorn
2009-12-06, 09:40 PM
How about all of the Goa'uld system lords, and Anubis's Kull warriors vs. the Daleks?

Vs. the Cybermen?

Or the Doctor vs. a wraith hive?

Fortuna
2009-12-06, 09:47 PM
Daleks win, Goauld win, and Doctor wins, in that order. Not hard. Daleks time travel and thereby own them to hell, Cybermen get owned by Zad guns, and the Doctor saves the universe with bits of kettle and some string.

golentan
2009-12-06, 09:54 PM
Concurrence

Edit: Hey, did you know that there's a single word for agreement that satisfies "minimum post requirement?"

Sorry, I've been meaning to test that.

Okay, edit edit: To expand I agree that the Doctor wins almost any fight. The Daleks win any fight not against the doctor or equivalent force/archetype. The cybermen, depending on the version, may have the advantage of numbers but otherwise are on nowhere near the same level as some of the other forces listed. Perhaps a more interesting stackup would be Cybermen vs. SG-1, but I think SG-1 would win overall through some clever combination, even if the cybermen managed to do some damage first. Heck, the cybermen's best trick is the human Cybers in the new series, and SG-1 would almost certainly be on the lookout for possessed or controlled characters at all times.

HamHam
2009-12-06, 11:46 PM
The Doctor would beat the Ori, but only after seemingly getting captured/outmaneuvered in the second half requiring him to make a dramatic reveal and/or desperate gambit in the last 15 minutes.

If it's a two parter, move the above back so that the capturing and/or outmaneuvering occurs right at the end of the first episode thus creating a cliffhanger.

There would be a scene where the Doctor gets cheeky with a Prior, who responds in their usual humorless fashion. The Doctor will probably get his hands on a prior's staff at some point and wave it around.

----------------------

Master vs SG1 would pretty much be exactly like them fighting any Goa'uld. Jack and Teal'c shoot things while Daniel talks to the locals and Sam makes up technobabble to best the Master's technobabble.

Fortuna
2009-12-09, 05:17 AM
SG-1 versus Cybermen results in one of two options.
1) The Asgard turn up, game over.
2) Sam spends a long time explaining why naquita emits an extremely powerful EMP if allowed to charge up for one episode.

EDIT: As to the Doctor versus the Ori, I agree with you. The doctor is outmaneuvered, and then wins in one of a number of ways that I can see without trying.
1) Is exposed to the Ori directly and wins.
2) He gives a long speech to the Priors and converts some of them for long enough to do something clever and then say "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." before leaving as the planet blows up.

Or possibly both at once.

Jallorn
2009-12-09, 05:34 AM
ok, how about The Master vs. The Ori.
Vs. the Ancients (ascended).
The Doctor Vs. SG-1 (for some reason) with plot armor.
without.

Kato
2009-12-09, 06:10 AM
ok, how about The Master vs. The Ori.
Vs. the Ancients (ascended).
The Doctor Vs. SG-1 (for some reason) with plot armor.
without.

Master is only slightly inferior to the Doctor I guess, so the Ori still lose. (he'll propably beconme one of them and then kill all of 'em)

Same with the ancients.

Hm... tough one... I guess Doc will win either one.

Fortuna
2009-12-09, 12:33 PM
TThe Master will beat the Ori or the Ancients or both after a close fight, and then ascend, and then get his backside handed to him by the Doctor. SG-1 vs. the Doctor is harder, and depends on the initial situation. Assuming that the Doctor just randomly stumbled into Mt Whosamy, he will probably get locked up, meet someone innocent in the cell next door, and then get angry and disable the entire facility with his sonic screwdriver. Then he has a good long talk and gets along well with O'Neil.

Meshakhad
2009-12-09, 11:14 PM
Next up:

The Ori v. The Daleks

Whoever loses, we win.

golentan
2009-12-09, 11:36 PM
Next up:

The Ori v. The Daleks

Whoever loses, we win.

I would take the Ori over the Daleks any day of the week. I would vastly prefer them to win.

But I don't think they will. I don't even think they'd manage to put up a good fight. Their weapons are good enough that they could *maybe* take out a few thousand daleks.

If the daleks aren't at peak power, the Ori could *maybe* take out a few hundred thousand.

Fortuna
2009-12-10, 12:56 AM
You forget that the only reason that they don't unleash incredible power in the series is the intervention of the Ancients. I say Ori, assuming no meddling Ancients.

chiasaur11
2009-12-10, 01:01 AM
You forget that the only reason that they don't unleash incredible power in the series is the intervention of the Ancients. I say Ori, assuming no meddling Ancients.

The Daleks threw down with the Time Lords. Time travelers with a galaxy spanning group of ships and tech easily on par with most precursor types.

The Daleks seemed to be winning.

golentan
2009-12-10, 01:09 AM
The Daleks threw down with the Time Lords. Time travelers with a galaxy spanning group of ships and tech easily on par with most precursor types.

The Daleks seemed to be winning.

Agreed. Given that the timelords BURNED THEMSELVES FROM EXISTENCE in a last ditch effort when the Daleks were INVADING THEIR HOMEWORLD OUTSIDE THE NORMAL FLOW OF SPACETIME. Yes. Yes.

Also, I don't recall the Ori demonstrating time travel. And they were once mortal...

chiasaur11
2009-12-10, 01:17 AM
As has been said before:

"This is not war! This is pest control!"

Daleks classify three things as War. Fighting Daleks, fighting the Doctor, and fighting Absalom Daak, Dalek Killer.

Fortuna
2009-12-10, 02:53 AM
Hmmm. If we throw time travel into the mix, then it becomes entirely a question of who is alerted first. The Ori can, as far as I am aware, wipe them all out if they feel them a real threat, while the Daleks can do stupid paradoxical things and win that way.

charl
2009-12-10, 03:37 AM
The Daleks have access to at least as much firepower as the Ori, plus timetravel, plus the technology to move planets and stars outside the universe. There is no contest really: the Daleks would win. The Ori have no chance.

Also, a single Dalek is apparently a serious threat to all life on earth. And three of them? If not for the Doctor Earth would have been doomed.

Meshakhad
2009-12-10, 03:28 PM
Can anyone save the Doctor defeat the Daleks?

BRC
2009-12-10, 03:34 PM
Can anyone save the Doctor defeat the Daleks?
In combat? No, not really. Not without going to godlike levels of power, not physically. The Dalek's armor is simply too tough.
Now, if there was somebody with the powerset necessary to attack the Dalek's mind (Which is unprotected by the armor) it might be a possibility. Dalek's don't feel fear, so that won't work as an avenue of attack. Youd' need to overwhelm and shut down their mind.

That or have a black hole handy.

golentan
2009-12-10, 03:46 PM
In combat? No, not really. Not without going to godlike levels of power, not physically. The Dalek's armor is simply too tough.
Now, if there was somebody with the powerset necessary to attack the Dalek's mind (Which is unprotected by the armor) it might be a possibility. Dalek's don't feel fear, so that won't work as an avenue of attack. Youd' need to overwhelm and shut down their mind.

That or have a black hole handy.

Love can make them suicide. If you had the ability to make them feel love, that would work.

And I'm not sure they're quite as fearless as they claim. They back up when the doctor walks into the room.

tonberrian
2009-12-10, 03:59 PM
Could Replicators beat Daleks? That'd be the fight I'd want to see.

sentaku
2009-12-10, 04:07 PM
Love can make them suicide. If you had the ability to make them feel love, that would work.

And I'm not sure they're quite as fearless as they claim. They back up when the doctor walks into the room.

The doctor killed not only there entire race but his own. (except the ones that survived). That justifies them backing up when he walks in the room.

As for defeating the Daleks.
Well stargate has time travel technology, so how would replicators who gained access to it do.

//Ninjed :(

The Big Dice
2009-12-10, 04:24 PM
Individual Daleks can be beaten. Their own weapons are capable of taking them out, so enough firepower can get the job done there. But when you get ships full of Daleks, they have weapons that can, as the Doctor once put it, crack the planet open like an egg. The problem is, they've never been utterly defeated. A few always seem to survive to rebuild.

Tackling their minds might work, but the problem there is, Daleks only really feel hate. And they don't have much sense of individuality either, each being bred for a specific purpose. And the moment one of them started acting wrong, the rest would turn on it.

As for Replicators against Daleks, the Daleks are each and every one of them a military and scientific genius. Even if htey do have issues. Against a purely mechanical race th like the Replicators, I don't think they'd have a problem coming up with a way to jan them. After all, they fought the most ancient and technologically advanced race in the universe to the point of mutual destruction. I don't think the Replicators would be more than a speed bump to them.

Jallorn
2009-12-10, 04:37 PM
If it's in the milky way galaxy, then the Daleks beat the ori's men, and Davros begins concocting some way to enslave the Ori into a power source.

As for replicators, it depends on how many Daleks. If the Daleks have any ships, they're doomed. However, the Dalek's weapons would be ineffective against replicators, while normal replicators would be unable to get

Actually, Dalek shields don't seem to stop slower objects, as both a paintball and human hands have gotten through unscathed.

sentaku
2009-12-10, 04:59 PM
If it's in the milky way galaxy, then the Daleks beat the ori's men, and Davros begins concocting some way to enslave the Ori into a power source.

As for replicators, it depends on how many Daleks. If the Daleks have any ships, they're doomed. However, the Dalek's weapons would be ineffective against replicators, while normal replicators would be unable to get

Actually, Dalek shields don't seem to stop slower objects, as both a paintball and human hands have gotten through unscathed.

If they can get to the daleks themselves what keeps the replicators from using the dalek armor to create more of themselves?

chiasaur11
2009-12-10, 05:44 PM
To the "What can beat the Daleks, other than the Doctor?" question:

At bare minimum: ABSLOM DAAK, DALEK KILLER!

(He kills Daleks, don't you know.)

The Big Dice
2009-12-10, 06:39 PM

That's a name I haven't heard in a LONG time. And he killed Daleks with a chainsword way before Games Workshop were issuing them to Marines.

Meshakhad
2009-12-11, 12:30 PM
Here's one force that I think could take the Daleks: the forces of Chaos.

See, it's pretty much impossible to attack the Warp in the conventional sense. It's beyond our own space-time, so even Dalek time-travel technology might be ineffective. And Chaos weapons - certainly Chaos sorcery - should be able to penetrate Dalek shields and weapons.

HamHam
2009-12-11, 12:32 PM
Daleks vs Ori would be interesting. Supposedly the Ori are almost all powerful in their own galaxy, but on the other hand when Adria had all their power all she did was fling people around the room, and the only things we've seen Ancients do offensively is cast Lightning Bolt. Neither of these would be much use against Daleks.

So the Daleks would just kill everyone in the Ori galaxy. Either directly, or if the Ori actually did have the power to stop them, indirectly by blowing up planets from outside the galaxy or something.

Replicators vs Daleks would come down to whether the replicators were able to absorb a Dalek before the Daleks figured out what was going on and exterminated them. If yes, then the replicators would copy Dalek technology and be able to match them in power. Daleks might still win because they are smarter individually, but the Replicators have the advantage of replicating very quickly.

turkishproverb
2009-12-11, 02:37 PM

Classic. Don't forget his clone.

Kato
2009-12-11, 03:40 PM
Actually, if it gets to Replicators against Daleks it is one of the few fights I'd bet against the Daleks. So far the only weapon able to stop replicators was the ancient superweapon. When the replicators get to assimilate a Dalek which shouldn't be too hard considering they have the moment of surprise they can soon use all the technology the Daleks have and they are pretty fast at multiplying and good enough tacticians as long as RepliCarter is around. And then... I guess they'd be a good enough match for them. Though, until their dispute is settled half the universe was in ruins.

The_Admiral
2010-01-10, 01:52 AM
Read the Evil Of The Daleks
just install the human factor
bam instant dalek rebellion

Desmond Tiny
2010-02-12, 08:31 PM
The daleks can defeat the replicators because their weapons cause anything they hit to stop working without exception. The only thing that ever survived a dalek blast is a scathing hit from the doctor who regenerated. Daleks also have the reality bomb and the void ship to escape any defeat that could ever occur. The Daleks have automatic self repair molecules in their shells. Any thing that did hit them would have to occur continually for a long time. The Daleks have enough superweapons plus time travel to utterly destroy the replicators. Remove the replicators from existance and the won't be able to hurt you from 1 second out of synch.

Jallorn
2010-02-12, 08:37 PM
Eeek!!! Thread Necromancy!!

The Big Dice
2010-02-13, 12:22 PM
Next up:

The Ori v. The Daleks

Whoever loses, we win.

Are we talking Daleks at full strength here? If we are, then it's Daleks all the way. Ori ships are powerful, sure. But Daleks have weapons capable of reshaping continents in seconds or simply cracking open planets like eggs. I don't think the Ori sheilds would cope with that level of firepower for long.

And don't forget that each individual Dalek is effectively a starfighter in it's own right. A very small and agile fighter that packs a pretty mean punch. And that can wrk as part of a boarding party as well.

At a mano a mano level, Priors are pretty tough. But if Sam Carter can figure out a gizmo to jam their psi powers, I'm pretty sure the Daleks could do the same, only faster. And the regular troops use variations on the staff weapon theme. I can't see them being much use against Dalek sheilds without being so much massed fire against one Dalek that the rest of them can just exterminate the entire force facing them.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-14, 06:21 PM
The daleks can defeat the replicators because their weapons cause anything they hit to stop working without exception. The only thing that ever survived a dalek blast is a scathing hit from the doctor who regenerated. Daleks also have the reality bomb and the void ship to escape any defeat that could ever occur. The Daleks have automatic self repair molecules in their shells. Any thing that did hit them would have to occur continually for a long time. The Daleks have enough superweapons plus time travel to utterly destroy the replicators. Remove the replicators from existance and the won't be able to hurt you from 1 second out of synch.

Don't forget Captain Jack. He is immortal too.

Desmond Tiny
2010-02-15, 10:46 PM
Yes, but nothing kills jack unless he wants to die so only people who can't die any way survive a dalek blast.

The Big Dice
2010-02-16, 11:22 AM
Yes, but nothing kills jack unless he wants to die so only people who can't die any way survive a dalek blast.

Nothing kills Jack Harkness period. THey guy got buried for hundreds of years, has been shot, stabbed exterminated and buried in concrete. He survived a trip through the time vortex by hanging on the outside of the TARDIS. Him wanting to die isn't really relevant. Short of either dropping him into a volcano (or better, a star) or totally disintegrating him, with something like the Reality Bomb or an old-style phaser, Jack just can't die. And even the evaporation and disintegration might not work. He's a fixed point in time and space.

sentaku
2010-02-16, 01:10 PM
Nothing kills Jack Harkness period. THey guy got buried for hundreds of years, has been shot, stabbed exterminated and buried in concrete. He survived a trip through the time vortex by hanging on the outside of the TARDIS. Him wanting to die isn't really relevant. Short of either dropping him into a volcano (or better, a star) or totally disintegrating him, with something like the Reality Bomb or an old-style phaser, Jack just can't die. And even the evaporation and disintegration might not work. He's a fixed point in time and space.

Well he does eventually die. or at least the Face of Bo does.

Jallorn
2010-02-16, 01:17 PM
Well he does eventually die. or at least the Face of Bo does.

The producers have declared that Jack is not the Face of Bo. The writer said it was a joke.

Desmond Tiny
2010-02-16, 06:18 PM
Where did they declare that? I thought he died as the face of boe?

Jallorn
2010-02-16, 06:36 PM
No, the producers very adamantly hated the idea, and the writer had no intentions of actually declaring that Jack is the Face of Bo