PDA

View Full Version : He's leavin again :'(

Froogleyboy
2009-12-03, 04:47 PM
My brother is coming back from the air force on the 19th for christmas but I just found out (not from him) that he signed up for a station in south korea for two years :'( how could he not tell me about this.
Sorry if this wasn't important enough to make a thread about. I just needed to vent.

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-03, 04:55 PM
see as your brother posts on here, why ask us - people who won't have a clue - instead of just asking him directly?

would sort the matter out a lot quicker

Froogleyboy
2009-12-03, 04:57 PM
My other brother

BRC
2009-12-03, 04:57 PM
see as your brother posts on here, why ask us - people who won't have a clue - instead of just asking him directly?

would sort the matter out a lot quicker
Well, It's possible that he dosn't want his brother to get angry that somebody else went behind his back and told him. Or he just needs to vent a little into the soundless void of the internet.

Maybe the paperwork is still being processed, or it's possible he might be going to South Korea, and he doesn't want to tell people until he's certain it's going to happen.

wxdruid
2009-12-03, 05:02 PM
So... basically he volunteered for a long tour in South Korea? Do you know which camp or base he's going to?

charl
2009-12-03, 05:03 PM
Well, at least South Korea is de facto at peace (though it has de jure been at war for over 50 years now), so you don't have to worry about him getting shot or otherwise hurt over a stupid war-related thing. So... yeah. Not much of a consolation, but at least you shouldn't have to worry about his safety, unless war breaks out with North Korea.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-03, 05:05 PM
So... basically he volunteered for a long tour in South Korea? Do you know which camp he's going to?

We haven't talked since he joined the military (except when I pick up the phone when he's callin dad and he's all like "let me talk to dad" and I'm like "kay") Mom just told me ten minuites ago

Froogleyboy
2009-12-03, 05:06 PM
Well, at least South Korea is de facto at peace (though it has de jure been at war for over 50 years now), so you don't have to worry about him getting shot or otherwise hurt over a stupid war-related thing. So... yeah. Not much of a consolation, but at least you shouldn't have to worry about his safety, unless war breaks out with North Korea.

I'm not worried about that, I'm just worried about not seeing my brother for two years

charl
2009-12-03, 05:07 PM
I'm not worried about that, I'm just worried about not seeing my brother for two years

I know. That's why I said "It's no consolation." I was just saying that it could be worse. It still sucks, though.

wxdruid
2009-12-03, 05:12 PM
Well, hate to tell you, but that's part of being in the military. Constantly moving and the possibility of getting stationed overseas.

I've lived in TX, KS, NE, MS, SC, South Korea, KS and IL and been deployed to Qatar and Iraq. My family lives in Colorado and I don't go back there very often. My daughter has lived with Grandma/Grandpa for a summer while I was in Qatar and my friend Heather and her husband Bob lived with Kendra in my base house while I was in Iraq.

tribble
2009-12-03, 05:45 PM
Well, hate to tell you, but that's part of being in the military. Constantly moving and the possibility of getting stationed overseas.

I've lived in TX, KS, NE, MS, SC, South Korea, KS and IL and been deployed to Qatar and Iraq. My family lives in Colorado and I don't go back there very often. My daughter has lived with Grandma/Grandpa for a summer while I was in Qatar and my friend Heather and her husband Bob lived with Kendra in my base house while I was in Iraq.

your sympathy moves me.:smallannoyed:

I know how the OP feels, my uncle's a marine and did a tour in afghanistan. If it's not a violation of the board rules, I'll pray for you both.

Trai
2009-12-03, 05:55 PM
My brother is coming back from the air force on the 19th for christmas but I just found out (not from him) that he signed up for a station in south korea for two years :'( how could he not tell me about this.
Sorry if this wasn't important enough to make a thread about. I just needed to vent.

*hugs*

I don't know anyone in the military so I can't offer any consolation, but I do know the feeling of being very far apart from someone I care about right now. It's sad that you don't see him much-- if you can, try to spend time with him before he leaves; maybe that could help a little.

Agreed with Tribble-- I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

Hell Puppi
2009-12-03, 06:12 PM

It's cool, brother, I know thy pain.

Some people just wait 'till the last minute to tell things because they want to put it off. My husband didn't tell his mom he was going for his 3rd tour until a month before he's sent to leave.
The only reason he tells me straight away is because I threaten him :smalltongue:

Maybe he was hoping it'd be changed, maybe he just couldn't find a way to bring it up until now?

Edit:

Sympathy is not a military strong suit.
Tell me about it. :smallannoyed:

...eh, I should stop there.

Solaris
2009-12-03, 06:22 PM
your sympathy moves me.:smallannoyed:

I know how the OP feels, my uncle's a marine and did a tour in afghanistan. If it's not a violation of the board rules, I'll pray for you both.

Sympathy is not a military strong suit. This coming Christmas will be the first major holiday I've been at home for since 4 July 07 (not the first leave, just the first holiday). My last two Christmases were spent guarding another unit's conexes (so they could spend Christmas at home >_<) and in a guard tower.
Thus? At least your brother's home for Christmas, Froogleyboy. It could be worse.

I'd say it's because you haven't spoken to him since he joined. I can't speak for him, but I stopped talking to a lot of my family seeing as how they didn't see fit to talk to me in Basic Training. You can't expect someone you don't reach out to to reach out to you. I ain't trying to be mean, but it does take two to tango.
I'd also double-check the 'he signed up for the station' bit, as - at least in the Army - you very rarely get to select your station. I know I didn't request being stationed in Alaska, and yet here I am.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-03, 06:31 PM

This.
Man, I haven't been home in three years. It happens, and as cold-hearted as it seems for me to say this, not seeing your brother is just something you're going to have to get used to.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-03, 08:54 PM
My dad's little brother enlisted in the air-force for twenty years. :smallsigh:

Escef
2009-12-03, 08:57 PM
My dad's little brother enlisted in the air-force for twenty years. :smallsigh:

The AF tends to treat their people a bit better than the Army. I've heard AF personnel forced to stay in Army barracks get bonus hardship pay. Don't know if it's true, but it's what I've heard.

THAC0
2009-12-03, 09:23 PM
I know I didn't request being stationed in Alaska, and yet here I am.

Alaska is totally awesome. :smallbiggrin:

But it was our second choice, too.