PDA

View Full Version : National Board of Review's Top Picks for 2009

Trai
2009-12-03, 06:08 PM
Dunno about the rest here, but I'm a HUGE follower of the Oscars, and I love indie films. I'm very pleased that I've seen eight out of the eleven picks of the NBR this year!

The top film was Up in the Air, one of the ones I haven't seen given that it won't be in wide release until Christmas. I just bought the book today and I'm very much looking forward to reading it, though the movie will allegedly be a loose adaptation.

The ten other best films, alphabetically:

An Education
(500) Days of Summer
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Invictus
The Messenger
A Serious Man
Star Trek
Up
Where The Wild Things Are

The other two I'm missing are The Hurt Locker and Invictus. I heard raves about Locker from my parents and I'll probably rent it once it's out on DVD in January. Looking forward to Invictus, too.

Their other awards can be seen here: http://www.nbrmp.org/awards/.

Carey Mulligan was fantastic, and I'm glad to see she got recognized. I can't comment on Freeman or Clooney, since I haven't seen either of the films as of yet.

However, while I did see The Messenger and felt Harrelson gave a strong performance, I really think Christoph Waltz (Col. Hans Landa in Basterds) was truly, truly robbed for this one. I will seriously cry if he doesn't at least get an Oscar nom. His performance was truly terrifying and inhuman.